Menu

movies "off the beaten path".....

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "off the beaten path" but....Shipping News? Gabbeh? Whale Rider? My Father's Glory? Cold Comfort Farm? Children of Heaven? Eighth Day? The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (miniseries on HBO, available on DVD)?

Edited by stripe

Whale Rider is one of our family's favorites!

Others we like:

The Visitor (Brooklyn - deals with Immigration)

Waking Ned Devine (Ireland)

Arranged (Brooklyn - deals with Jewish and Islamic traditions of arranged marriage)

Big Night (NJ - deals with recent immigrant Italians opening a restaurant - excellent movie!)

Ushpizin (Israel)

Babette's Feast (Denmark)

Everlasting Peace (Ireland)

Paradise Now (Palestine)

Joyeux Noel (France - WWI front lines involving French, Scottish, & German troops)

Millions (Britain)

Obviously, read-up on or preview these before deciding whether or not your children are mature enough for them.

I'm so glad someone started this!

My dh rarely goes to the movies, so when he does go, he ends up going to movies he liked as a teenager. But he's no longer a teenager. He's 42. So, he ends up hating every movie he sees and says, "They only make movies where everything gets blown up through the whole thing."

Well, yeah, if you only go to movies directed to teens and twenties.

I've been trying to come up with more mature movies for him to watch. Movies that rely solely on plot and not on action or special effects.

We just watched Under the Sun (foreign). We really liked it. Dh said the previews were very misleading...there was no love triangle. It was pretty straightforward from the get-go. Sometimes it's hard to know what to recommend...do you like foreign, Sundance, indie, ect.?

Carolyn

You need to become my Neflix friend. I have tons of movies from off the beaten path.

Here are just a few of my recent favs.

Bright Star

Sequins (French)

How Art Made the World (British... but about all over)

Departures (Japanese)

Herb & Dorothy (US... but very off the beaten path)

Lemon Tree (Israeli)

Paper Heart (US/Canadian)

Gomorrah (Italian)

Let the Right One In (Swedish)

O'Horten (Norwegian)

Sunshine Cleaning (US.. but also off the beaten path).

Edited by Jenny in Atl
Adding country info

:) That movie is one of the first movies my children ever saw! This well before Netflix lol. We happened upon it at our library.

If you have netflix, there are lots of areas to search- "classic', 'indie', 'foreign' etc.

A couple of years ago our family watched Billy Elliot about 5 times in one weeked! lol

This one is more for adults- but older kids/teen will find it hilarious, although not for more religious folks, as there there is swearing and nudity. It's called The Full Monty and we love it.

Have you ever seen any 'Bollywood' movies from India. lol Could be fun. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Kitchen Stories - Norway

Lagaan - India (this one is about 4 hours long, great for a rainy day!)

Papillon - France

To Be and to Have - France

Once Upon a Time in the Midlands (this one is nitty-gritty, but it features Robert Carlyle, whom I really enjoy)

King of Masks - China

Pauline and Paulette - Belgium

Love the selection of foreign movies on Netflix. We're having a foreign movie festival all year because of dd's cultural geography studies, but we love them anyway. Netflix has been great in this regard because when our local Blockbuster remodeled they got rid of the majority of their foreign films.

Love this thread!

"The Adventures of Prince Achmed" is a very unusual movie. It was made in the 1920s or 1930s, and it's a silent movie featuring gorgeous paper cutouts telling the story of an Arabian prince and his adventures. You can watch this online (though Netflix also has it) -- just google "The Adventures of Prince Achmed."

You need to become my Neflix friend. I have tons of movies from off the beaten path.

Here are just a few of my recent favs.

Bright Star

Sequins

How Art Made the World

Departures

Herb & Dorothy

Lemon Tree

Paper Heart

Gomorrah

Let the Right One In

O'Horten

Sunshine Cleaning

We just watched Departures recently. I highly recommend it!

Now, gonna hafta try some of these others...

We just watched The Kid, with Charlie Chaplin because my kids had a hard time believing that there was a time when movies had no sound. They really enjoyed it and it was good for them to see how well someone can convey a message w/o talking. Plus, the hard luck story was meaningful as well.

The story is based on a woman having a child either out of wedlock or w/o her husband. It went over my kids' heads, though, but I wish I had known before we started watching it. I figured it was so old there could be little objectionable.

The Secret of Roan Inish is one of my all time favorites.

Laura

Two movies that I think of as having a similar style and energy to Roan Inish are Agniezska Holland's version of The Secret Garden (1993 or 94, I think) and Fairy Tale, both set in England. For another Irish film, check out Into the West...

Other suggestions that I didn't notice above (though I could certainly second some of those listed) would be...

The Man from Snowy River

(Australia)

Anna and the King

(Thailand / British colonialism)

Fly Away Home (Canada)

A Far Off Place (Africa, Kalahari desert)

(You might also like another early Reese Witherspoon movie, The Man in the Moon -- but it's more a teen+ movie, whereas mostof the others I've listed are kid-friendly)

(oops, being called by family... no more for now!)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I don't have Netflix, but will learn more about it now! I was just happy to have found The Secret of Roan Innish at Target for $5! We saw that movie years ago in a little whole in the wall theater (and loved it!) I'll keep a running list of what's been suggested!

Julie

We just watched The Kid, with Charlie Chaplin because my kids had a hard time believing that there was a time when movies had no sound. They really enjoyed it and it was good for them to see how well someone can convey a message w/o talking. Plus, the hard luck story was meaningful as well.

I just watched Baran, which is about (illegal) Afghan refugees in Iran in the present day, and more about the relationship between people. It is almost silent. I am not sure I really liked the movie, but it definitely had a mood about it.