Menu

An oldie but a goodie (?): Desk Apprentice Organizer

Could you fit (let's say ;)): a WWE2 workbook, a math text, Usbornes' encyclopedia, a SOTW book, and hanging files for completed work...would that all fit in there?

I have bought many things that seemed like a good idea at the time but the Desk Apprentice is one of the few that held up and still seems like a great idea. I use it every day and it looks just like new. It will hold everything you listed and more.

The only trick is that the slots for books around the sides are deep so short books are below the top of the pocket so you have to squeeze fingers down in there to pull the short books out. I have a PLL book that is about 8 inches high and it is the worst - still not enough trouble to give up the DA though.

I happened to get one by accident from freecycle. i went to pick up other stuff and she offered me a bunch of "office stuff." At the bottom of the pile of stuff I found a nice desk apprentice organizer. I love it, ours holds random craft stuff. It holds lots of stuff. We have had it for over a year and still love it.

thanks! i am still debating. I have a regular file box (open) for my son to find his daily work (sorta like workboxes but with a file folder), and am wondering if it's worth the price to hold our bulkier school books, completed work, etc....hmmmm...if only it was, like 25 buck!

Love it...but....it's too big for my house. We live in a small house with no space for a school table and no place to store the DA except on the floor. And then, we needed the floor space. It is living next door at my parent's house until I can figure out what to do with it.

It is the single best hs help I have. I keep my white boards and markers in it, as well as all the sing math books I'm using, plus Artistic pursuits book, SWR (two books), the current ZB handwriting book, a couple of kumon workbooks, REAL sci, 2 ETCs, poetry speaks to children, Phonics and reading pathways (need to glean those out), and a three ring binder for records and copywork, and it is not even stuffed.

wow! that sounds like it really might be worth it! I have a shelf that is super wide but only 16 inches deep. Would it be able to turn around 360 degrees? (it can just out a bit, that's fine)

I got out the measuring tape and 16" will give the base a full place to sit and still spin, but nothing can be sticking out like tall brushes, etc. The edge will overlap by 3 inches, but the base will have full footing.

Does anyone who bought one of these last year still use it? Is it still holding up? Still finding it useful?

Debating about buying it--seems PRICEY! :blink:

I've had ours for several years, and I still love it. We have it in the middle of the school table (a six seat dining table). It keeps the kids from seeing each other (more an issue when they were younger). Most of what we need is in there, at the touch of a finger. It has held up to daily use without any problems whatsoever.

thx!!! do you mean 'sticking out ' as in sticking out of the sides so that it's widers--or sticking out of the top? (can't see why that would affect its 'spinability' ;)

You said your shelf is 16 inches deep. The stand that it twirls on is not that wide, but it is centered under the larger body that spins on it. So, if you take the amount of space needed behind the stand for the thing to spin and measure out to the outer edge of the stand, you have exactly 16 inches. Since the whole thing is wider than that, the upper body will still out over the shelf, which should not be an issue with tipping if you the load is even reasonably balanced, but the body will stick out beyond the shelf, so if you have shelf in a narrow passage, it might effect the passage of people.

BTW, filled with books this gets quite heavy. Is your shelf up to so many books in one spot?

We still use one of ours. It is in a location where it can't spin, but the side slots are handy for separating items. Each girl uses two of the slots. My stuff is in the middle.

We sold our other one on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Dh was shocked because he had two replies in a very short time. He didn't even expect it to sell.

I hope it is still on sale tomorrow! I just ordered a Staples gift card from my My Points rewards and I have a rebate coupon I received this week for $23 for a deal I did a couple of months ago...I was trying to figure a way to get a DA without money spent out of pocket...but now I have to wait to get my gift card in the mail...and I so want to get organized today :)

If it is still on sale tomorrow, I can do it with only $1 spent plus tax...woo-hoo!!

It's not on sale on the website'...is it an in store sale item??

Thanks!

kathi

Edited by mom26

Funny that you asked this because I just put mine away. I liked it, but it didn't work for us. We live in a fairly small house so this just was too big to keep in our living room/dining area (this is where we do school). I ended up just using file boxes that I can fit on a bookshelf. Otherwise, I thought it was sturdy, well made, and in the right place would be great. Mine will likely end up in DH's office.

Lesley

I went today and yes, they are on sale for $24.99! I was surprised at how huge it is even though I measured it out...still not sure I can keep it b/c I am organizing a kitchen counter which houses lots of stuff...but it looks awkward...I'll see what my hubby says...best part is b/c of the rebate coupon I had it was no money out of pocket :) i bought a $20 smaller organizer to see which one fits best but that one is too small...sigh, I was hoping to get organized during this next snowstorm on Wed ...it is a sturdy handy item...just a little too big for my space ...any other great organizing ideas/alternatives that you love that can be found at Staples??

Thanks!

Well all this talk of organization got the better of me and I just got home from Staples and am now the proud owner of the Desk Apprentice. My husband took one look at it and said, "It's you!!" :D

It was on sale at our Staples and we were able to order 2 more at the sale price even though on line it was listed as $46.99. The sales associate was very helpful and adjusted the price to the sale price for the ones ordered.

Now I am off to happily organize my stuff.:party:

Well all this talk of organization got the better of me and I just got home from Staples and am now the proud owner of the Desk Apprentice. My husband took one look at it and said, "It's you!!" :D

I love it when people push right past my marble bust of Joan of Arc and the 1917 pan with an Art Deco German soldier and housewife shaking hands (my GGM was given it in exchange for the copper pot she turned in...to make shell casings)...beautiful things I inherited, only to rush up to the DA and go "where did you get THAT!"

I have 2; I purchased them on sale for $19.99 a couple (few?) years ago.

I use one for school and one for family finanical management. In the financial one, I have 2 bill organizers (one for monthly, one for ongoing medical and other debt), our insurance info, info from You Need a Budget, written plans, tax info, etc.

The school one varies according to my current whim.