Menu

What are you using/planning to use for lang. arts for upper grammar stage?

gandpsmommy

I'm trying to select lang. arts. curr. for dd8 for next year. Thus far we have used WWE and FLL. This year she is doing Level 3 in both curr. In second we also did Lively Latin, but are taking a year off from that this year. We loved studying Latin, so I'd like to resume it next year, but I think this time I might use Latin for Children. I also plan to start teaching her Spanish (my major in college), perhaps using Spanish For Children.

My dilemma comes when trying to choose resources for teaching writing, English grammar, spelling, and poetry. Part of me wants to try MCT, because I've heard such great things about it and because I'm looking for something more relational. Part of me wants to try Classical Writing. Part of me wonders if I should just stick with FLL and WWE.

Also, we have used All About Spelling, but I think dd needs something different. She is a natural speller, and it just seems that the words presented in AAS are too easy.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I used many things with my first two children, and have stuck with FLL all the way with my 3rd. I am so thankful I did and so impressed with the program. I really wish it went through the logic stage. I have not added any other writing for my 3rd grader other than science, history, and lit summaries and copywork and dictation. I may add Imitations in Writing or Writing Trails in... book next year.

My plan is to use MCT LA and Apples & Pears spelling plus WWE up through level 4, so the first year will be MCT, A&P and WWE, then MCT with A&P and maybe Bravewriter or Writing Tales (or Writing With Skill, is SWB has it out by then :w00t:) if I think Ariel needs more/different writing instruction.

right now (it could change) for my to-be-8 year old we'll be using

Writing: Writing with Ease 2 (finishing up), then onto WWE3 assuming WWE2 continues as well as it has been.

Vocab: worldly wise 3-4

Spelling: spelling wisdom and words gleaned from some wonderful old spellers I found for free on google books

Grammar: right now, I am thinking the Rand McNally Primary Grammar and Composition book found for free on google books

MCT looks interesting too, but right now is too pricey for me. We might use some of Sheldon's Language Lessons (also free google book) to cover material that the Rand McNally book glosses over as too basic.

Things I use:

Institute for Excellence in Writing - for writing instruction (love it)

Phonetic Zoo for spelling (also from IEW)

the poetry memorization from IEW - we pick it up and work on it every spring

Winston Grammar - parts of speech

Fix it Grammar - I like this, but we've set it aside this year

literature and poetry through Sonlight

SWO

Wordly Wise

FLL (finished up Level 3 and continuing in Level 4)

WWE (the hardcover book only....I might buy WWE-4, but am still undecided)

Now that I have a student in the R&S-6 grammar book, I appreciate having FLL-4 to use with my 4th grader (it wasn't available when ds was in 4th).

Also, since the 4th grader is using SOTW, she does the oral narrations, etc., in the Activity Guide.

We are using Easy Grammar (which we love), Spelling Power (a great fit because if dd knows how to spell words on the list we know we don't have to waste time on it and move on), and a combination of Writing Aids (part of our TOG program) and Writing Strands for composition. All of these programs are working very well for my dd, so we will continue at the next level for 6th grade.

As to language, this is dd's second year with LFC and she has really blown through it with both ease and enjoyment. LFC is wonderful for young children! Next year, however, she wants to take Spanish and we'll either go with SFC or take up my friend who has offered to share her A.C.E. Spanish course.

Blessings as you explore all the options.

Lucinda

We are doing FLL, WWE (no workbook, and modified slightly), and Abeka workbooks for more grammar review. We plan on finishing all of FLL, continuing WWE, adding in Writing Tales (I'm not up to CW), and continuing to do Abeka grammar through high school. Also, Latin and Greek now and through high school to polish it all up.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

For my 5th grader we are using Homer A/CW Beginning Poetry A and Spelling Wisdom. Last year she did JAG with Writing Tales 2. We do the grammar work in Homer which includes diagramming and analysis but do not add Harvey's.

Next year (6th grade) she'll do Homer B/CW Beginning Poetry B, Spelling Wisdom and start the 3 year AG rotation.

She also does Latin.

Heather

I'd keep going with WWE on the side, whatever you do. If you've been enjoying FLL, keep going with that. And yes, I'd continue on into CW or WT. I prefer WT at those levels, just me. It's more fun, has more interesting models, and teaches you how to teach, making you more confident to go into CW Homer. Grammar is more personal, so I'd just find something you like and stick with it.

You know, given that she's had a bit of latin already, you might consider FF.

If she's doing fine with spelling, you might drop it and see what happens. When I dropped formal spelling, my dd's scores on the SWR diagnostics kept going up anyway. I realized it was from her reading and that we just didn't need to sweat it.

No need to jump on the MCT bandwagon fully or eschew it completely either. Buy a little bit, scratch your itch, and keep going with your more traditional writing progression (CW/WT). That's my advice. With schooling year-round, you have time enough to do CW/WT and still throw in some MCT poetry, vocab, maybe even the writing (just during the summer maybe).