Menu

Need Science Curriculum Recommendations for 2nd and K

susancollins

I have boys in K and 2 also and we are using Singapore start-up science. Basically, I like it because it is inexpensive and the books are colorful. It is pretty light, but you can always go deeper into things if the kids are interested. We have bought and borrowed several kits to go with them (so then is it inexpensive anymore?), so we have done some of the experiments in the kits that were not in the books.

If you want a rigorous science program this is not the one, but it's simple and fun, and like I said, inexpensive. Also, I like having them doing the same science program for time reasons.

I am loving RS4K. I am doing the Pre-Level 1 Chemistry with my 1st grader. It is so cute, yet really good material. The labs so far are easy and fun. We made molecules yesterday with marshmallows and toothpicks.

I really want to take a look at the Biology for next year. I wish so much that I had known about this when I did some Physics stuff with him last semester.

One I don't recommend is A Beka. At least for first grade. My boys do enjoy the book - it's colorful, great pictures (I always thought A Beka was very strong on presentation) but it doesn't give a lot of information. If I were to do it again, I'd do it how TWTM recommends. My problem is, I just am so overwhelmed with life, I needed something "boxed". Now, like said, the boys don't mind it, they like it actually, but I just feel like we're wasting our time.

I have a 2nd and a Ker this year. We are doing WTM earth/science recommendations. We just started space last week. We read the first few pages of the Usborne 1st Ill. Space encyc. then we read a book on the Milky Way from the library. Then we did a really cool art project: paintings of the different shapes of galaxies from another library book, and dd7 wrote a page for her science notebook about galaxies and their shapes. I have several Janice Van Cleave experiment books out from the library right now, and we will just continue on like this, topic by topic. So far we really enjoy it. Especially when we start something new, and have lots of hands on projects and experiments to go along.

I am loving RS4K. I am doing the Pre-Level 1 Chemistry with my 1st grader. It is so cute, yet really good material. The labs so far are easy and fun. We made molecules yesterday with marshmallows and toothpicks.

I really want to take a look at the Biology for next year. I wish so much that I had known about this when I did some Physics stuff with him last semester.

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the link. I'm going to look into this one for my boys. :)

I love Noeo Science. I would combine a K and 2nd grader. I would do any of the Level One sets.

I like Noeo because it is easy to implement, uses books that I like, uses notebooking and the experiment kits are self-contained. It's not "fumbly"; you look at the schedule, read the appropriate two-page spread, and the kid creates a notebook page. It's very compatible with Classical homeschooling. The experiments are sealed in plastic with all you need to perform them.

A possible drawback is that it is a little on the pricey side, considering you'll be buying several books and experiment kits. (My son's 5th grade curriculum just came and it was 135.00) However, if you are using it with more than one kid, that is a plus; also some of "spines" are used for a few years.

We are loving Sonlight Science K at the moment. I plan to stick with them until 3rd then switch to Singapore. There are some great experiments and you get to watch the DVD and see what happens which is great if you can't managed to do it yourself. We purchased the supply kit and EVERYTHING we need is there! Last week we made a weather vein, the kids love it. The reading is light enough to do everyday, or you could easily condense into 2 or 3 days per week. The kids also enjoy checking out the internet links from the Usborne books.

FYI - incase it matters i am a secular homeschooler and the only christian references so far have been in the TM which have been easy enough to omit or discuss from a secular perspective.

We are using Vol. 1. It is a classical approach geared to K-2. You use real books, do simple projects. Very similar to what TWTM recommends, but laid out for you. It is not expensive (Rainbow Resource carries it, and you can google it and find their website). I'm using Vol. 2 next year.

I think it might be mentioned in the Cathy Duffy 100 top curr book (but I might be wrong on this)

we love Elemental Science. It has been a great start to science for us. We are currently using Biology, and getting ready in a month or so to finish that and move on to Earth.

It follows the suggestions in WTM, but it is all laid out for you so that you don't have to figure out what to do each day. Ds looks forward to it, the experiments are all simple with things that you have on hand.

The lessons are short, and planned for daily lessons of about 15 mins. We do two a day and do them 2-4 times a week because ds is loving it so much.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It's affordable. It's fun. It is inquiry-based and really teaches kids to think and ask questions like a scientist.

:iagree:

We were using BJU Science 1, which is a good program. I purchased BFSU for next year. But when I got it, I was so excited that I couldn't resist just jumping in. (But it was painful to to ditch the $100 program!) Just a heads-up, though, about BFSU--it is a very different way of teaching science than the stand-alone lessons that you are used to. BFSU is about seeing science everywhere and in everything. It is a wonderful way to teach science to this age group, but you, as the teacher, have to either be on the constant lookout for teaching opportunities, or you need to plan teaching moments into your schedule ahead of time.

A big plus is that it is so very affordable. For less than $25, you get three years' worth of lesson plans, which include lots of ideas for games, hands-on activities, and enrichment reading lists. Also the next level is due out this year, and it is planned to cover grades 3-8.

Tracy

We are using RS4K Prelevel Chemistry and love it! It is simple enough that it gets done.

We are also using Elemental Science Chemistry with it, which gives more depth. The only thing is that I am using the 3rd grade Elemental Science with a 7 year old, so it is more difficult than RS4K. I love the fact that only 3 books are used and usually only one at a time(plus a couple of biographies). It is very easy on the teacher. I had tried Winterpromise and Sonlight Science and we couldn't get either of those done. (DD also hated Sonlight.)

A friend of mine loves eequalsmcq.com. I am thinking of using it next year because it is all in one book.

we love Elemental Science. It has been a great start to science for us. We are currently using Biology, and getting ready in a month or so to finish that and move on to Earth.

It follows the suggestions in WTM, but it is all laid out for you so that you don't have to figure out what to do each day. Ds looks forward to it, the experiments are all simple with things that you have on hand.

The lessons are short, and planned for daily lessons of about 15 mins. We do two a day and do them 2-4 times a week because ds is loving it so much.

Are you using this with just your seven year old? How do you think the biology or earth science might work with a slightly older child. I'm happy to hear such a good review of this.

Are you using this with just your seven year old? How do you think the biology or earth science might work with a slightly older child. I'm happy to hear such a good review of this.

Depends on the age and the interest level in science of the child. I do think that you could easily do earth science/astronomy with and 8 or 9 yo. Biology would probably work with an 8 yo, but might not be enough for a 9 yo. The samples on the website are a good representation of the entire program. They should give you a better idea of the feel of it. If you have any more questions, I'm around :).

One I don't recommend is A Beka. At least for first grade. My boys do enjoy the book - it's colorful, great pictures (I always thought A Beka was very strong on presentation) but it doesn't give a lot of information. If I were to do it again, I'd do it how TWTM recommends. My problem is, I just am so overwhelmed with life, I needed something "boxed". Now, like said, the boys don't mind it, they like it actually, but I just feel like we're wasting our time.

We just started using Elemental Science which follows the WTM recommendations from the recommended books. We love it! We are doing Biology this year and I plan to go through all 4 grammar books. It's inexpensive... you do need to buy the WTM recommended books as well, but far less expensive than other programs.

Heh, heh... didn't read through all the posts, but looks like someone else already let you know about this! Well, another ringing endorsement!