Menu

Dr. Hive, please help me ID this rash?

My dd13 gets this rash every year about this time. It usually only lasts for a few days and then goes away. This time, it's not going away. She's had it for over a week now and is really getting upset about the comments she gets at school. Here is a pic.

I thought eczema or psoriasis, but I don't know. Can't afford to take her to dr. but will if I have to get an Rx for something to get rid of this!

post-155-13535083304996_thumb.jpg

post-155-13535083304996_thumb.jpg

My dd13 gets this rash every year about this time. It usually only lasts for a few days and then goes away. This time, it's not going away. She's had it for over a week now and is really getting upset about the comments she gets at school. Here is a pic.

I thought eczema or psoriasis, but I don't know. Can't afford to take her to dr. but will if I have to get an Rx for something to get rid of this!

Just about everything that isn't psoriasis seems to be called eczema. I'd call it atopic dermatitis.

Yearly, huh?

Does she wear mufflers? Wooly things can make atopic dermatitis worse. Atopic dermatitis in winter, in my limited experience, often starts on the cheeks (and the summer in the folds of the elbows and knees....but see, I live in a VERY mild climate and see little of it). By the somewhat linear scabby areas, she may be scratching...even in her sleep, and making it worse. Cut, file and buff down the nails into real eunuchs. Google and you'll find all the details of treating it.

What a beautiful shade of brown eyes, BTW.

You know, she gets the very same rash on her stomach right above her navel every once and a while. It starts out with red bumps (almost like prickly heat). The one on her face started as red bumps as well and she does stractch at it. We are using a psoriasis cream/gel right now. I tell her not to scratch.

My youngest dd has eczema and it is worse this time of year. We tried many things, including prescription strength creams. However, the best advice we got was from a grandmother in the waiting room at the pediatrician's office. She said to try 1% hydrocortisone cream. It was cheap, over-the-counter...and hands down it worked better than anything we had tried! We also taught her to rub - not scratch - if she felt she had to relieve the itching. It didn't damage the area nearly as much, but offered a little relief. We also applied quite liberally in the beginning, meaning basically anytime she felt the need to scratch. Hope that helps!

I think it looks fungal. Does it itch? Fungal infections on the face almost always itch. I'd try an OTC anti-fungal, like Lotrimin or Micatin.

Tinea faciei

tineaFaciale_7603_lg.jpg

Coconut oil works wonders for eczema.

Oil of oregano (1 drop diluted in coconut or olive oil) works wonders for fungal infections.

Fresh aloe vera will help it heal faster.

If the rash comes on both sides, look into lupus. Anti-inflammatory diet is best for that (lots of turmeric and omega fatty acids like flax seed oil).

I think it looks like nummular eczema http://www.dermnet.com/Eczema-Nummular

DD3 gets it and we treat it with hydrocortisone cream.

Here is a description of it:

Nummular eczema is also known as nummular eczematous dermatitis, which is used for medical description and discoid eczema, a name derived because the disease appears to be coin-shaped. Studies are inconclusive when it comes to determining the cause or causes of nummular eczema, but there are some causes which might trigger eczema. Some of the factors, acting alone or in grouping with other may cause nummular eczema, if you have dry skin and stay in low humidity environment, and bacterial infections that induce a hypersensitivity reaction in skin. Apart from these two, Isotretinoin a medication used to treat severe acne may also cause it.

Factors that may flare up existing nummular eczema include wool clothing worn next to the skin, topical medications, soaps and detergents, and frequent bathing.

In the first stage tiny red spots appears as a group of tiny red spots and blister-like lesions that increase and merge into a reddened, itchy, sometimes burning coin-shaped lesion two to 10 centimeters in diameter. This lesion forms into a ring that looks like the ring worm infection.

In the start nummular eczema may begin with one or several lesions. In some people these lesions clear up within a year. In other patients the lesions persist or recur for many years; lesions that reoccur after clearing tend to do so at the first point of outbreak. This disorder is most likely to be on the legs, arms and hands, and the torso. The disease is more frequent in men than in women; with a peak age of onset at 55 to 65 years but it can outbreak in younger ages especially in women.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

You know, she gets the very same rash on her stomach right above her navel every once and a while. It starts out with red bumps (almost like prickly heat). The one on her face started as red bumps as well and she does stractch at it. We are using a psoriasis cream/gel right now. I tell her not to scratch.

Do her pants have a metal button/snap in that area? If so, it could be nickel dermatitis. I have this, and the best solution I've found so far is to coat the back of jean buttons and the back of watches with clear nail polish. If it keeps flaring up, see what her pediatrician has to say.

Guest janainaz

Could it be ringworm? Ringworm is a fungal infection and can start with bumps. My ds5 had a little patch under his eye and it just would not go away. I tried Lotrimin and it was gone in a few days.

If it's a circular rash and starts with bumps - it could definitely be ringworm.

It doesn't really look like ringworm. Usually that will actually look like a ring under the skin and it starts small and get larger. It also leaves the area in the middle sunken compared to the ring.

It does, however, look like eczema. I also reccomend hydrocortisone (the strongest you can find OTC) twice a day followed by a non-lotion mosturizer. I use CeraVe cream, not lotion. Lotions contain alcohol to keep them liquid and alcohol is drying. After she bathes (whether morning or night) have her apply the hydrocortison to the affected areas immediately followed by the mosturizing cream. Do this within 90 seconds of getting out of the shower. I also reccomend using a milder soap, like Dove (the white bars) or Cetaphil as her only soap. The temperature of her shower should be luke-warm and she should keep them as short as possible, definitely under 20 minutes. She should mosturize daily whether she has the rash or not. This will prevent or lessen future breakouts.

If the hydrocortisone just isn't strong enough, you may have to break down and take her to the doc to get a prescription for something stronger. While she is breaking out remind her not to put anything else on her face other than the mosturizer and hydrocortisone. No make up or pimple cream or anything. The CeraVe is noncomedogenic and won't cause breakout. I use it daily from head to toe with my steriod cream on my affected areas and it has been the best winter of my life. I am a nursing instructor and wash my hands 100as of times a day and that is where mine is the worst. I do my daily stuff plus I mosturizer after I wash my hands.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. :001_smile:

When my DD had it, it didn't have a suken area in the ring. The entire circle was inflamed. The Dr. said that it is more about the pattern of the bumps. And treatment worked within a few days. If it is ringworm, it can spread to other family members or areas on her body.

It might be best to get a Dr.'s opinion on this. If it is excema and you treat it with fungal cream, it can get worse. If it's fungal and you treat it like excema it's possible to get worse and have other family members get it too.

I agree it does not look like ringworm. Ringworm is a perfect circle/ring shape, hence the name, and is very easy to recognize as it gets bigger. I've found oregano oil works well for this, too, and before I knew about it, hydrogen peroxide made it go away very fast as well.

Coconut oil is really miraculous for eczema. Please try it! It is so simple, but very effective.

It might be best to get a Dr.'s opinion on this. If it is excema and you treat it with fungal cream, it can get worse. If it's fungal and you treat it like excema it's possible to get worse and have other family members get it too.

If it's fungal and you use an antifungal, it usually gets better in a few days. If it's fungal and you put a steroid cream (like hydrocortisone) on it, it will probably get worse (although not always). If it's eczema and you put antifungal on it, it probably WON"T get worse. That's why I'd try the antifungal first. There isn't any way to be sure whether it's fungal or eczema without a skin scraping, so trying an antifungal first is the safest approach.

Also, you have to be careful with steroids on the face. You should only use low potency and only for short term, except in rare circumstances and then only under supervision. Steroids on the face can cause permanent skin changes.

Edited by Perry

I agree it does not look like ringworm. Ringworm is a perfect circle/ring shape, hence the name, and is very easy to recognize as it gets bigger.

Not necessarily. Ringworm, or tinea, can be caused by a bunch of different fungi. They can look different depending on the location, the individual, and the organism.

What does the term "ringworm" mean?

The term "ringworm" or "ringworms" refers to fungal infections that are on the surface of the skin. The early belief was that the infection was due to a worm, which it is not. Ringworm is a fungus infection in the skin. Nevertheless, the name "ringworm" has stuck. Some of these fungi produce round spots on the skin, but many do not. On the other hand, many round spots on the skin are not due to a fungal infection. A physical examination of the affected skin, evaluation of skin scrapings under the microscope, and culture tests can help doctors make the appropriate distinctions. A proper diagnosis is essential to successful treatment.

The medical term for ringworm is tinea. (Tinea is the Latin name for a growing worm.) Doctors add another word to indicate where the fungus is located. Tinea capitis, for instance, refers to scalp ringworm, tinea corporis to fungus of the body, tinea pedis to fungus of the feet, and so on.

Tinea

Could it be ringworm? Ringworm is a fungal infection and can start with bumps. My ds5 had a little patch under his eye and it just would not go away. I tried Lotrimin and it was gone in a few days.

If it's a circular rash and starts with bumps - it could definitely be ringworm.

This was my thought too. My dd12 just had it last summer, but her spot was smaller. Our doctor recommended tea tree oil.

I would be careful with it being so close to her eye. I would try half & half of tea tree and grape seed oil.