Menu

Okay, tell me again: Bible study for mainline protestants? 4th gradish

kokotg

I know this has been done, but I still don't seem to have picked anything I'm happy with, so indulge me one more time?

We are...still sort of between churches, but we're leaning toward a Lutheran (ELCA) church right now, coming from a UCC/congregationalist church. So anything that works for any of the mainline protestant denoms (Lutheran, Episcopalian, UCC, probably Methodist, etc) would likely work for us.

I'm looking mostly for my 8 1/2 year old, as I'm pretty satisfied just reading and discussing Bible stories right now with my younger kids. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. We tried Memoria Press' Christian Studies awhile back, and he really didn't like it....so I think something less workbooky. What I'd really, really like actually is some kind of Bible commentary aimed at 4th-6th grade or so. He's a strong reader and can read from the actual Bible no problem (we use the NRSV), so I'm fine giving him stuff to read and then talking about it with him, but I'd love it if I had some kind of guide. Something that offers some analysis/interpretation (or maybe talks about how different scholars have interpreted a passage), perhaps with historical/cultural background info. Does this exist?

Right now, we are merely reading the bible stories from the actual Bible (as outlined by Penny Gardner) and the corresponding sections in Victor Journey Through the Bible.

If you're looking for more of a *study* though, these are free and I will use them eventually. I may end up adding them in once we start Exodus.

Edited by AudreyTN

We are...still sort of between churches, but we're leaning toward a Lutheran (ELCA) church right now, coming from a UCC/congregationalist church. So anything that works for any of the mainline protestant denoms (Lutheran, Episcopalian, UCC, probably Methodist, etc) would likely work for us.

I'm looking mostly for my 8 1/2 year old, as I'm pretty satisfied just reading and discussing Bible stories right now with my younger kids. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. We tried Memoria Press' Christian Studies awhile back, and he really didn't like it....so I think something less workbooky. What I'd really, really like actually is some kind of Bible commentary aimed at 4th-6th grade or so. He's a strong reader and can read from the actual Bible no problem (we use the NRSV), so I'm fine giving him stuff to read and then talking about it with him, but I'd love it if I had some kind of guide. Something that offers some analysis/interpretation (or maybe talks about how different scholars have interpreted a passage), perhaps with historical/cultural background info. Does this exist?

I actually think I might like something like this too. We go to a UCC/UUA church, and I've kind of been thinking that would handle their religious education, but I've just volunteered to teach Sunday School for the first time, and I am very underwhelmed by the curriclum. Yes, it's teaching Bible stories, but most of the lesson devolves into crafts and I doubt they're retaining much of anything. Sigh.

But most (hopefully not all?) of the Bible study stuff available for hsers comes from a literalist perspective, which I don't want - quite to the contrary. Something like you say that would offer the kind of analysis by different scholars and putting things into their cultural/historical perspective would be great. Something that doesn't tell you what to think, but challenges you to think about it.

Edited by matroyshka

Classical Academic Press has started a series for books that I'm really interested in and wish I'd seen at the start of the school year.

http://classicalacademicpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=26

They have a sample of the first chapter and it also shows the table of contents. It looks very good for 2nd-5th or 6th grade depending on reading level. It's a little workbook-ish but I like the way it's set up and am hoping that the new testament parts come out soon!

We are Episcopalians and my girls gets some religious education at Sunday school using the awesome "Godly play" program. It's probably not appropriate for home use because of the cost of the materials, but if you ever find a local church using it (usually Episcopalian or Lutheran), take advantage of it! It's really cool.

Also, at home, we use the Teacher Created Resources book on World Religions. It's neutral in tone and offers a great overview of the most common religions of the world. It does tell some of the stories and holidays and histories and texts and liturgies and different denominations. It's been a learning experience for me too! http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/files/samples/TCR_estore/BTC/0624s.pdf

But most (hopefully not all?) of the Bible study stuff available for hsers comes from a literalist perspective, which I don't want - quite to the contrary. Something like you say that would offer the kind of analysis by different scholars and putting things into their cultural/historical perspective would be great. Something that doesn't tell you what to think, but challenges you to think about it.

I think finding a non-literalist Bible study is harder then finding a secular homeschool science program. :)

I've been adapting what I learned through the Education for Ministry program offered by the Episcopal Chruch (Anglican up here although all denominations are welcome) and it's very close to what you want...but it's four years and for adults. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Ds just finished a Bible study for kids done by Kay Arthur. It's not really workbooky, but I love her Bible studies and ds did too (well maybe not love but he did get a lot out of it).

BEth

I've looked the Kay Arthur stuff before...so you think her stuff would work for any denomination?

Right now, we are merely reading the bible stories from the actual Bible (as outlined by Penny Gardner) and the corresponding sections in Victor Journey Through the Bible.

Ooh! This looks good! I looked for something like the Penny Gardner outline awhile back--suggestions for passages kids should read--and couldn't find anything. so thank you! How far have you gone in the Journey through the Bible book? Are you happy with it? The samples on Amazon looked good.

We are Episcopalians and my girls gets some religious education at Sunday school using the awesome "Godly play" program. It's probably not appropriate for home use because of the cost of the materials, but if you ever find a local church using it (usually Episcopalian or Lutheran), take advantage of it! It's really cool.

Our old church was just about to start up Godly Play when we left...it did look good. We wanted to find somewhere closer to home, though...the church we think we might end up at now is very small; they don't even have Sunday school. They have children's church during part of the service, but it's only for a few minutes, and it's for kids preschool on up--so not a lot of rigorous study.

I think finding a non-literalist Bible study is harder then finding a secular homeschool science program. :)

It really is! I know lots of non-religious homeschoolers, but I'm not sure I know any other progressive Christian, not evangelical, not Catholic homeschoolers (IRL, that is). I'm so lonely :tongue_smilie:

Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas here; I'll look over all the links more carefully when I get some time.

I know this has been done, but I still don't seem to have picked anything I'm happy with, so indulge me one more time?

I lean towards the ELCA and Episcopalians myself;) I know your son did not like Memoria Press since it is like a work book, but I am curious what you thought of it otherwise. Does MP Christian Studies take a too literal approach and all?

I appreciate the info:)

Classical Academic Press has started a series for books that I'm really interested in and wish I'd seen at the start of the school year.

http://classicalacademicpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=26

They have a sample of the first chapter and it also shows the table of contents. It looks very good for 2nd-5th or 6th grade depending on reading level. It's a little workbook-ish but I like the way it's set up and am hoping that the new testament parts come out soon!

This looks interesting as well, but again I am wondering if it takes a too literal approach? Any insights?

Priscilla,

We're also Episcopalians and pretty progressive. ;) We're using the Memoria Press Christian studies right now; I don't think it's too literal, at least the Book I. It's very much in the form of: read this section (ie the section on manna in the desert); answer questions like "why did the Lord always speak to Moses? why did He always answer the needs of the Isrealites?" and then some further comprehension questions, like "why did the people murmur against Moses in the wilderness between Sinai and Elim? What did they say?" or "how long did the children of Israel eat manna, and how did their descendants know about the manna?"

The tone is very narrative, so it's not full of interpretation. I don't read it as "read this and take it as literally true" so much as "read this, and do a narration, with the help of these questions."

Does that answer your questions? :)

We're Lutheran (Missouri Synod - so we are very traditional) and I have yet to find anything...

I ended up buying both older kids an ICB Bible (the complete scriptures written at a 3rd grade reading level) and we started with Matthew in the New Testament. Every day, we read a couple of pages and are just following through the New Testament.

It's cheap (all you need is a bible) and really comprehensive. The 8 yro is able to understand almost everything.

If you're looking for Lutheran...you can always use Luther's Small Catechism - there are chapters on daily prayer, how to pray, Holy Baptism, confession, etc.

:)

It really is! I know lots of non-religious homeschoolers, but I'm not sure I know any other progressive Christian, not evangelical, not Catholic homeschoolers (IRL, that is). I'm so lonely :tongue_smilie:

*looks around furtively* Most of us just find it easier to call ourselves secular. But we are hard to find, aren't we? ;)

Kay Arthur's Bible studies are very non-denominational (I think). I'm not really that current with what everyone believes/has problems with. We are going to a Lutheran Renewal church, have gone to a charismatic church and a baptist church and listen online to a non-denominational church - we're pretty all over the place. I thought it was a great study that just focused on the Bible.

Beth

Even tho it's a workbook, you might like Positive Action For Christ. We did not like Explorer's or Kay Arthur (but to be fair, we just looked at KA's How to Study the Bible, and that isn't a good one to start with, so everyone says).

PAC 4th grade has us going thru some really great parts of the New Testament. My dd has become much more comfy with finding passages and narrating from them. You can see samples online.

We are Episcopalian, fwiw.

Priscilla,

We're also Episcopalians and pretty progressive. ;) We're using the Memoria Press Christian studies right now; I don't think it's too literal, at least the Book I. It's very much in the form of: read this section (ie the section on manna in the desert); answer questions like "why did the Lord always speak to Moses? why did He always answer the needs of the Isrealites?" and then some further comprehension questions, like "why did the people murmur against Moses in the wilderness between Sinai and Elim? What did they say?" or "how long did the children of Israel eat manna, and how did their descendants know about the manna?"

The tone is very narrative, so it's not full of interpretation. I don't read it as "read this and take it as literally true" so much as "read this, and do a narration, with the help of these questions."

Does that answer your questions? :)

Thanks:) It sounds like it leaves interpretation to the parents which is a good thing IMHO:) Does that sound about right to you as well?

Thanks again everyone! I've been reading through all the links (some I've heard of before, and some are new to me), and getting lots of ideas. I think I'm still leaning toward the reading schedule and Journey through the Bible book Audrey posted. Still looking over the Kay Arthur stuff. I found out that someone is publishing a NRSV kids' study bible that's going to be out in the summer, so I may look at that. IME, the more conservative denominations don't use the NRSV, so I'm assuming a study bible that uses it would work for us.

I think I'm still leaning toward the reading schedule and Journey through the Bible book Audrey posted.

I just recently saw this schedule and it looks very nice. We have the Victor Journey Through the Bible and like it very much. It provides nice historical information/pictures/maps that my boys enjoy. I like all of the background information it provides along with a quick summary of the Bible story.

This is a resource that is VERY easy to use along with a child's Bible or a regular Bible.

Explorer Bible Study has a free 30 week download for PreK-Adult levels. You can get the link to one study per week. So, once you sign up, it will give you links to week 1 for every level. While you have a link open (pdf file that will open on the same page), you will see the address bar up top with number 1 in it. If you change the number to 2, 3, 4, etc (all the way to 30) and then hit enter, you can download them all at once instead of waiting 30 weeks.

For example, if you click the Beginnings link, the address bar will say:

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/lessons/1/beginnings_1.pdf

So, to get the next lesson you would change both numbers to 2, like this:

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/lessons/2/beginnings_2.pdf

Keep doing that with every age level you need and inputting all numbers from 1-30 and you'll have a 30-week bible study!

Cindy

We're using a book titled "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds" based on the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It gives one question a week and every day there's reading/discussion along with bible verses to look up & read.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "progressive" or whether or not this book would meet your criteria, but it is biblically sound and lays a solid foundation of what we believe and why. Hth!

I recommend using the link given by Amber. For a 4th grade level, use the advanced. It's not like a quiz/test. It's more of a fun page to fill out. We're Lutheran and I feel like I learn something with the lessons. We bought the maps. I'm considering buying the music. We're only on the first unit (of four), but I'm really impressed by this Bible study. The girls love it!