Menu

How much do you pay babysitter?

In the backwoods of Wisconsin, we're like 20 years behind the times. My daughter gets paid $4 to $6 an hour regardless of how many kids there are. One person paid her less than $3 an hour and thought that they were being really generous because they paid the daycare person $3 an hour. We've now set a minimum $4 an hour. I'm encouraging her to look into other fields of work in our area.

In Minneapolis, they get paid $15 an hour.

And have you ever notice what cleaning people get paid per hour? It's usually $10 to $20 more an hour. Hmmmm.....what's more important? Cleaning or the care of children?

Just a spin off.........for those that thing foster parents get RICH from doing foster care----we would get $10-13 a DAY for foster kids-----for 24 hours and we had to feed and clothe them, etc.

Glad I very rarely have to pay a babsitter. I would never leave if I had to pay $15/hour for a babysitter. Then again, maybe I should BE the babysitter. I would gladly babysit for that kind of money.

In the backwoods of Wisconsin, we're like 20 years behind the times. My daughter gets paid $4 to $6 an hour regardless of how many kids there are. One person paid her less than $3 an hour and thought that they were being really generous because they paid the daycare person $3 an hour. We've now set a minimum $4 an hour. I'm encouraging her to look into other fields of work in our area.

Yeah, backwoods MN here so I think my price is fair. This is my 15 year old neighbor and I *think* I am being generous. If not I will stick with just never leaving the house without all kids in tow.:D

I believe we do $10-15 depending on the babysitter for our 4 kids (but dh usually takes care of that, so I'm not sure exactly).

While we are on the subject... do you mind if I hijack a little bit?

We will be going "away" for two nights on Valentine's Day weekend (48 hours to be exact) and were thinking $200... the babysitter is a divorced friend who has a dd the same age as ours and will be staying at our home (with her daughter too) with our 4 kids (9, 7, 4, and 2). Is that a reasonable price?

Edited by babysparkler

WOW--I babysat for the WRONG people. I got $1/hour most of the time when I babysat 20 years ago. Sometimes $2/hour but never more than that. I would watch NINE kids for 24 hours (including 3 infants---one of which was on a heart monitor) and get $25 for the entire 24 hours.

I got $5/hr. 20+ years ago when I was in college.

We generally pay $8-$10.

WOW--I babysat for the WRONG people. I got $1/hour most of the time when I babysat 20 years ago. Sometimes $2/hour but never more than that. I would watch NINE kids for 24 hours (including 3 infants---one of which was on a heart monitor) and get $25 for the entire 24 hours.

Nine kids??? ugh.

Maybe I was paid well and didn't know it!