Menu

Movies/Literature ? The good and bad

How about this one...

The Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore is the WORST film adaptation EVER.

LOL That's the spirit! I didn't like that one either! I'd forgotten (purged?)

The only thing one could possibly say is that perhaps, just perhaps, some teens picked up the book afterwards. Better than never picking up the book. :auto:

:D

Jane Eyre-- I really enjoyed the 2006 version even though I hate Ruth Wilson's mouth. How's that for nit-picky?

Pride and Prejudice--Love the A&E, but the newer one with Matthew MacFadyen has its merits. Namely Matthew MacFadyen

Emma-- I liked the Gwyneth Paltrow version best. Jeremy Northam is really good in it.

Sense and Sensibility--

Not a fan of the Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson in it. She really ruined the movie in my opinion. And I usually like her. Like the 2008 version, though. Dan Stevens is a better Edward Ferrars than Hugh Grant, too.

LOL That's the spirit! I didn't like that one either! I'd forgotten (purged?)

The only thing one could possibly say is that perhaps, just perhaps, some teens picked up the book afterwards. Better than never picking up the book. :auto:

I suppose...but honestly...how did they put a happily-ever-after ending on this movie and still look at themselves in the mirror? What's next? Hamlet- The Musical?

The film adaptation of Mansfield Park. Unfortunately I had not warned my dd about it and she watched it over the weekend with a girlfriend. Jane Austen really didn't do sex scenes, feminist agenda, anti-slavery stuff in her novels! Totally modern worldview completely missed the point of the book.

I suppose...but honestly...how did they put a happily-ever-after ending on this movie and still look at themselves in the mirror? What's next? Hamlet- The Musical?

Or Les Miserables?

You know what would be fun? Dante's Inferno as a musical. :lurk5: I'd buy a ticket.

Check this out:

http://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/080116-anne-frank-musical-redirected

Edited by LibraryLover

Pride and Prejudice--Love the A&E, but the newer one with Matthew MacFadyen has its merits. Namely Matthew MacFadyen

:D:D:D

I didn't like the newer one at all at first, but it's grown on me. If I need a P&P fix, but don't have time for the A&E version, I'm perfectly satisfied with the MacFayden version.

I hope no one throws anything at me, but I really liked the Pride & Prejudice with Kiera Knightly (and I don't usually like her as an actress).

Ewwww! I spent the whole movie wanting to shout at the screen "Put on a hat when you're outside! Bare-headed ladies were considered 'loose women'!" I notice everyone in the movie except Kiera Knightly wore hats. (now if they'd had the silly little sister go bare-headed... at least she really was a bit of a loose woman...) And the costumes weren't right. Empire waist, people!

Love the A&E one, of course, but I still have a soft spot for an older adaptation I saw on Masterpiece Theater in my teens that was my first introduction to P&P. I have no idea how it would stack up if I saw it again today, don't ever remember who the actors were, but, well, it was my first time...

:D

Jane EyreI like the one with Ciaran Hinds as Mr. Rochester. Other's...not soo much!

Pride and Prejudice The ONLY version I like is Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. All the characters, with the exception of maybe Mr. Bingley, were exactly as I pictured them.

Emma The one with Kate Beckinsale is really good, a lot like the book, but, I don't particularly care for Mr. Knightly in that version. I prefer the Mr. Knightly from the Gwynneth Paltrow version.

Sense and Sensibility I absolutely prefer the newest BBC version over the Emma Thompson version. So much more like the book. And I love the Mr. Ferrars and the Steele sisters in the newest version. Also, I prefer the relationship between Marianne and Willoughby. I also prefer the Eleanor character. Should I be ducking tomatoes at this point?

Add if you can think of others-

Persuasion--I prefer the one with Ciaran Hinds. It's a lot like the book.

Mansfield Park--I prefer the newest BBC version of it. I like the Fanny character better than any other version I've seen.

The Kite Runner--awesome movie, great book. Loved them!

There are a ton of others, just can't think right now.

The film adaptation of Mansfield Park. Unfortunately I had not warned my dd about it and she watched it over the weekend with a girlfriend. Jane Austen really didn't do sex scenes, feminist agenda, anti-slavery stuff in her novels! Totally modern worldview completely missed the point of the book.

:iagree:

I'm glad I watched this one when the kids were at my parents :blink: Totally NOT Jane Austen at all. At least it's not what I got out of that book.

Jane Eyre-I like the version with Timothy Dalton

Pride and Prejudice-the Colin Firth version is my favorite

Emma-Emma is not my favorite but I think a number of movies do it justice-the one with Doran Godwin, Clueless and the one with Gwyneth Paltrow are all fine.

Sense and Sensibility-the one with Emma Thompson and the more recent BBC version are both OK.

Dracula-I don't know that there is a decent film adaptation. I think the Francis Ford Coppola version *would have* been the premier version if not for the added love story. It completely misses the point-that Dracula is the embodiment of evil and sin and that people are allowing themselves to succumb to it (sometimes even setting themselves up for it).

Macbeth-Hm. There are good and bad things about various versions. Throne of Blood is an interesting one, if you haven't seen it.

Bleak House and Oliver Twist-I am not the world's biggest Dickens fan.

Huckleberry Finn-there is no movie version worth watching, imo.

Peter Pan-the 2003 version is OK, adaptations have problems similar to Huck Finn although not as marked or dramatic.

No kidding! I just finished reading the book and I can't believe how they changed it around. ugh! The 1983 (maybe 87) version stayed closely to the book but the production values weren't very good (think stage play) and the acting/casting could have been better. sigh. I wish they would finally make a good version of it!

Jane Eyre I liked the Timothy Dalton version

Pride and Prejudice I liked the Colin Firth version. I don't like the Matthew MacFadyen version, the acting isn't as good, the characters are off and the actresses are too skinny/"modern"pretty.

Emma The Gwyneth Paltrow version is alright and the BBC, plus Clueless is fun

Sense and Sensibility I like the Emma Thompson version (mostly because of Alan Rickman :lol:) and the BBC

Dracula There is not a good version

Macbeth Oh God. I got tired of people trying to do Macbeth with Mel Gibson (bleh) I like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Bleak House bleh

Oliver Twist Er...the musical? I find Dickens a bit tiresome.

Huckleberry Finn So such animal

Peter Pan I liked the recent version with Jason Issacs somewhat (Luscious Malfoy :lol:)

Edited by Sis

Confession #2: I didn't like the BBC 6-hour adaptation of P&P. I thought the casting was off. I will now run and hide.

Although I think BBC's is by far the best production.....I will concede on this point about a few characters. Jane is not beautiful enough, Mr. Bingley is too unreal, and Lydia is too old.

BUT - it's STILL my favorite....:D

Leanna

Edited by Leanna

They added some autobiographical stuff to that version.

I agree there was too much sex, I like watching Austen when my kids are about because it should generally be safe.

How does Austen not have any feminist themes?

Edited by Sis

Although I think A&E's is by far the best production.....I will concede on this point about a few characters. Jane is not beautiful enough, Mr. Bingley is too unreal, and Lydia is too old.

BUT - it's STILL my favorite....:D

Leanna

I think for the ideals of beauty from that time period she was. She wasn't a stick like in the Keira Knightly version but she was very pretty. Lydia is too old but the actress does a good job.

Mr Bingley in that version is the BEST Bingley IMO. No Bingley can compare! Hee!

Edited by Sis

I love the BBC versions of "North and South", "Cranford" and "Wives and Daughters". Certainly not word for word but they really get the feel of the era and the characters. Mr. Thornton is great and perfect for the part (or for any part imho:lol:)

P &P - I love the old version with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. Who could beat Olivier as Darcy. I love Colin Firth but Olivier is what I imagine Darcy to be. Greer Garson is fun too! I like the 6 hour version as closest to the book but I also like the romanticism of the newest one as well as the scenery.

Pride and Prejudice-the Colin Firth version is my favorite

Heh. I am sure it is. (Mine too.) And Mr Collins is so loathsome. I didn't care for the old B&W one -- the last scene is all wrong.

But you know, the Bollywood one (Bride and Prejudice) is pretty darn funny. I've been meaning to watch the Indian versions of Macbeth (Maqbool) and Othello (Omkara).

Heh. I am sure it is. (Mine too.) And Mr Collins is so loathsome. I didn't care for the old B&W one -- the last scene is all wrong.

But you know, the Bollywood one (Bride and Prejudice) is pretty darn funny. I've been meaning to watch the Indian versions of Macbeth (Maqbool) and Othello (Omkara).

I have heard such great things about Bride and Prejudice, I keep meaning to see it.

I think for the ideals of beauty from that time period she was. She wasn't a stick like in the Keira Knightly version but she was very pretty. Lydia is too old but the actress does a good job.

Mr Bingley in that version is the BEST Bingley IMO. No Bingley can compare! Hee!

I agree, the casting for Mr. Bingley is dead on.

Agreed. Good gravy it was crap. What a waste of Gary Oldman.

No kidding! Hm, he is in a lot of novel adaptations, some of which are bad.

P &P - I love the old version with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. Who could beat Olivier as Darcy. I love Colin Firth but Olivier is what I imagine Darcy to be. Greer Garson is fun too! I like the 6 hour version as closest to the book but I also like the romanticism of the newest one as well as the scenery.

There is just too much missing in this version and too many characters are all wrong. The costumes are wrong, everything is wrong. Huxely as a screenwriter or no, this is not the most complete version, for sure.

Olivier is great but for me, his most accurate novel role is Mr. de Winter. Therefore, Olivier as Darcy doesn't work for me. He's also pretty good as Heathcliff although the movie version ends about 1/3 of the way through the book (wow, quite a shock the first time I read the book at around 13 or 14!!).

Olivier is great but for me, his most accurate novel role is Mr. de Winter. Therefore, Olivier as Darcy doesn't work for me. He's also pretty good as Heathcliff although the movie version ends about 1/3 of the way through the book (wow, quite a shock the first time I read the book at around 13 or 14!!).

I love him as Maxim de Winter.

Rebecca is one of my favorite books.

How about The Crucible with Winona Ryder? Hated it. :glare:

I'm embarassed to admit this, but I love the Dracula with Gary Oldman and the Frankenstein with Kenneth Branagh. :001_unsure:

I like Frankenstein, it was really fairly close to the book, probably the best movie version that I have seen. I would have loved the Dracula with Gary Oldman if they had left out the love story. I still like it, I just don't love it.

Oh, and I love the version of Much Ado About Nothing with Denzel Washington!

Me too!

Wow! I agree with so much said here.

Pride and Prejudice - Love the Colin Firth version, although I agree Jane was not pretty enough

2005 version - Keira Knightley absolutely is Lizzie Bennett, but the costuming was horrible because the director "didn't like how empire waists look"

I can't stand Keanu Reeves in Much Ado.

I did not care for the BBC Mansfield Park, but I loved Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey and the new Persuasion.

I can't wait to see the adaptation of Emma this season! It is one of my least favorite Austen novels, but the new version looks promising (Emma should definitely be a blonde!).

I love him as Maxim de Winter.

Rebecca is one of my favorite books.

Wonderful book and I agree, Olivier is Maxim de Winter!

You know, I was watching Jeopardy one night years ago and one of the questions (answers?) had to do with the fact that you never know the name of the narrator of Rebecca. I had read the book twice and didn't even notice! sheesh, there's my critical reading skills for ya!

:grouphug: I am so unbelievably enjoying this.

I'm glad you are. I on the other hand am feeling like a dolt b/c I haven't heard of most of these versions. I'll just stick with Orson calling Jane, "Janet". Who would have thought a man calling a woman Janet would be so sexy.

:drool::D

I would have liked it better without Keanu Reeves.

Keanu was awful, but all those shots of the rotten teeth in Michael Keaton's mouth was unbearable. Rather similar to my reaction to the Mr Collins segments on P&P -- I enjoy the movie much more if I just forward through those parts.

And I felt uncomfortable watching Hugh Grant in those weird pants with the front flaps or whatever in S&S.

And I felt uncomfortable watching Hugh Grant in those weird pants with the front flaps or whatever in S&S.

I really liked that movie, but I always thought Hugh Grant looked constipated through the whole thing, LOL.

Oooh, now I'm thinking of Alan Rickman and that voice.... :001_wub:

LOL

Must say and the purge the thought from all your minds...but I can think few thoughts more more fab than a movie showcasing both Kenua and Denzel. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Don Juan (or was it Don John?) was a loathsome character. I don't think I would have liked anyone in that role.

Michael Keaton's teeth were gross, but he was hysterical. :lol:

Edited by hsmom3tn

I liked both P&P movies mentioned-the Keira Knightly one and the BBC mini series. Sometimes I want the quick fix and sometimes I like to immerse myself in the mini series.

I liked the Dracula movie with Gary Oldman but could have done without the love story angle. The loved the "look" of that movie--shadows moving on the wall and other little things. I could seriously have done w/o Keanu Reeves and his weak British accent.

I agree about the Scarlet Letter. Loved the book and wanted to wretch watching the movie.

I know it's not considered a literary classic but some remakes of Agatha Christie's books make me nuts. I saw one that made the murderer a lesi@n. I have nothing against lesbi@ns but that was not in the book. I had to reread that ending to double check. They took the man who done it and gave that role to a woman. Why? I guess to make it more modern. Blech.

You know, I was watching Jeopardy one night years ago and one of the questions (answers?) had to do with the fact that you never know the name of the narrator of Rebecca. I had read the book twice and didn't even notice! sheesh, there's my critical reading skills for ya!

People keep saying how beautiful her name is but she never says it, it is very interesting. :)

Oh, that's so not fair! Maxim's new wife narrates the novel, but she is never named! In the 1940 movie version, I believe they do call her Daphne, after the book's author. However, Du Maurier never, to my most recent recollection, gave the narrator a birth name. In the novel, the author simply refers to her as the current Mrs De Winters. Maxim does acknowledge that her name is spelled simply/traditionally. I can't believe I might have missed an actual name. Arg!

That's a trick question unless the answer is 'the narrator".

Edited by LibraryLover

I liked both P&P movies mentioned-the Keira Knightly one and the BBC mini series. Sometimes I want the quick fix and sometimes I like to immerse myself in the mini series.

Me, too. I almost think of it (the newer version) as a completely different movie that just happens to have the same title. It's about as different from the book as Clueless was from Emma; but it's still a great love story!

Oh, that's so not fair! Maxim's new wife narrates the novel, but she is never named! In the 1940 movie version, they do call her Daphne, after the book's author. However, Du Maurier never, to my most recent recollection, gave the narrator a birth name. In the novel, the author simply refers to her as the current Mrs De Winters. Maxim does acknowledge that her name is spelled simply/traditionally. I can't believe I might have missed an actual name. Arg!

That's a trick question unless the answer is 'the narrator".

Evil otherwise. ;) And stupick me if I somehow missed it!

They don't name her in the movie either.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/trivia

The original script named the heroine "Daphne" after the writer Daphne Du Maurier. David O. Selznick objected and the name was not used.
Edited by Sis