Menu

Anyone starting to plan for next year?

Whereneverever

I am a major planner -- it's one of my favorite parts of homeschooling! I have the next year planned out already and have purchased most of what I will need. The next 5 years after that are tentatively planned as well.

The next five years? Oh, wow, I bow to your organizational abilities!

• 2 weeks later...

My planning always ramps up when we get close to tax season.

I'm planning to stick with SOTW for Modern...maybe use History Odyssey Level I, not sure.

Elementary Greek and Lively Latin all around.

dd6 will still be in Miquon. ds8 will be doing some combo of MEP and either Singapore or Japanese math.

Classical Writing Aesop B for ds8, and probably MCT Grammar Island and Music of the Hemispheres. Possibly Mary Daly's secular diagramming book as well. (We'll slot them into what we're already doing with CW).

Logic Liftoff from Prufrock, and a Tin Man Enrichment packet.

Nutshells and First Lego League for Physics. Looking for a text, and not sure if I'll go with RS4K or not.

I'll make their copybooks myself again. That works well for us.

Yep, planning here too. I have already made lists of needs, and a list of wants. I have a list of "look ats" too.

I made a list of haves and a list of "get it out of here", because I can't stand it and it wasted precious $$$ too.

We are finally after several years, finding our "stick with its" for most everything for all our kids. Here, I have figured out that Singapore math is the way to go--at least for now, I supplement with tons of drills, and make up daily story problems to review past lessons. Spelling is Phonetic zoo.

So the keepers:

Singapore math for all

Phonetic zoo for oldest

Just starting Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons

Apologia for science for all

Truthquest and Homeschool in the Woods for History for all

Startwrite for Handwriting for all

Lots of games

Will soon be starting computer stuff with all--I am getting a new laptop by months end, and will be passing my 8 yr old desk top to the kids.

Reading is just a list of books to go with our other stuff (history, science, bible)

Because of learning disabilities, I am not starting any foreign languages at this time.

I need a good phonics curriculum. hmm, maybe I should post in another post about that. lol

Guest Cindie2dds
I am a major planner -- it's one of my favorite parts of homeschooling! I have the next year planned out already and have purchased most of what I will need. The next 5 years after that are tentatively planned as well.

Me too! I love planning.

Keepers for the fall:

Miquon for math

QLL for Language arts

OM Science/art/handicrafts

Planning: (the most fun part!)

Literature

History

Shakespeare/Poetry

PE classes (gymnastics or basketball -- not sure which)

Music (harp?)

My planning always ramps up when we get close to tax season.

I'm planning to stick with SOTW for Modern...maybe use History Odyssey Level I, not sure.

Elementary Greek and Lively Latin all around.

dd6 will still be in Miquon. ds8 will be doing some combo of MEP and either Singapore or Japanese math.

Classical Writing Aesop B for ds8, and probably MCT Grammar Island and Music of the Hemispheres. Possibly Mary Daly's secular diagramming book as well. (We'll slot them into what we're already doing with CW).

Logic Liftoff from Prufrock, and a Tin Man Enrichment packet.

Nutshells and First Lego League for Physics. Looking for a text, and not sure if I'll go with RS4K or not.

I'll make their copybooks myself again. That works well for us.

Japanese math? Do tell!

Yeah, I'm thinking it through a little without doing anything concrete. I need to add some music and art in there next year (2nd grade), so I'm trying to figure out how that's going to look. I'm stickin' with A Beka's LA and Math program and SOTW for history. Science I'm a little stumped about, so I'm exploring my options there.

Nope, not early. I'm planning and just about to make some purchases.

I'm liking History Odyssey, so I plan to purchase the next set(s) for current 4th and 7th graders.

I still cannot decide if, once dd finishes LOF Pre-Alg., I should just go right ahead and do Beginning Algebra, or I should buy MUS Pre-Algebra and work on that until fall and then do LOF Beginning Algebra. I can't seem to abandon MUS completely and I keep thinking I need to keep my toe in. But I don't want to buy MUS and then not use it. Same with ds, who is 3/4 finished Epsilon. He wants to check out LOF Fractions. Should I just figure we're doing that and don't worry about buying Zeta? I can't decide!

I almost have it all purchased and either coming or sitting on the shelf.:auto:

We will be doing HOD Prepared for History and Science, MCP for spelling, phonics and Math and I think(this is the only one I don't have purchased) ACE English.:hurray:

It seems like right after Christmas is my time to figure out what we need to be doing the next year and then I seem to be able to really dig in and get this years completed with my two. Maybe it is something to look forward to but we have to finish this first.:lol::lol::lol:

Nope, not early. I'm planning and just about to make some purchases.

I'm liking History Odyssey, so I plan to purchase the next set(s) for current 4th and 7th graders.

I still cannot decide if, once dd finishes LOF Pre-Alg., I should just go right ahead and do Beginning Algebra, or I should buy MUS Pre-Algebra and work on that until fall and then do LOF Beginning Algebra. I can't seem to abandon MUS completely and I keep thinking I need to keep my toe in. But I don't want to buy MUS and then not use it. Same with ds, who is 3/4 finished Epsilon. He wants to check out LOF Fractions. Should I just figure we're doing that and don't worry about buying Zeta? I can't decide!

If you dd is doing great with LOF then please don't buy MUS, just move on to LOF Beginning Algebra.

Almost done here. I think this is the first year in 4 years of homeschooling that my list is done, I'm good to go, and I'm comfortable in the choices I've made. The only thing I have left to do is make a reading list, but most everything else is just a continuation of this year and I'm not changing anything. I've also started buying for next year and should have everything with our tax refund so I can get it into HST+ over summer.

I'm a huge planner at heart! It's more than half the fun for me:)! I was hoping this year might be different, but just recently had to make some adjustments for the things that just weren't working (Apologia General Science for my 7th grader...switching to BJU DVD class). Then I started looking at All About Spelling and trying not to droll. And I also need something to help my younger set practice their math facts more regularly. Like FactsFirst, but it's a bit pricey.

I've already printed myself off several of my planning grids, which just helps my brain wrap around all the various subjects for my 4 school age kiddos.

So don't feel crazy. It actually helps keep me inspired to be 'thinking' about all of it.

blessings,

melissa in NM

Definitely already planning!

Here's our plan:

6th Grader:

Oak Meadow 6th Grade Package (English, History, Science)

Lial's Basic College Mathematics

Homeschool Art Classes with co-op

Swim Team

11th Grader:

Oak Meadow American Literature

Lial's Intermediate Algebra

Oak Meadow US History

Oak Meadow Chemistry

Driver's Education with Dad (Fall Semester)

Practical Accounting Fundamentals (Spring Semester)

Homeschool Art Classes with co-op

Swim Team

Not only olanning but just about done ordering. I just placed orders for the bulk of it yesterday. I have a few items on order with my friend that runs a homeschool store and 1 item at the teacher supply store for math, otherwise everything has been ordered and now I sit anxiously by the window waiting for it all to start arriving.

The item I am most excited about this week, is not for next year at all, but for this year and I ordered it to be express posted and it is stockmar modeling beeswax, I have always wanted it but never ordered it. It is mainly for the kids to have sensory play stuff in the van during the move, but we will be using it before then for sure.

Next year's research topic is:

2010 Challenge

Engineering Meets Medicine

Can FLL teams improve our quality of life? Through the 2010 Body Forward Challenge, 9 to 16 year olds (9 to14 in the U.S. and Canada) will explore the cutting-edge world of biomedical engineering to discover innovative ways to repair injuries, overcome genetic predispositions, and maximize the body's potential, with the intended purpose of leading happier and healthier lives.

Join us in September 2010 for the Body Forward Challenge release.

Edited by TechWife
to remove giant graphic

I should have it all by May or so. I buy when I sell something or have a little left at the end of the month. Right now I'm just lacking a summer grammar book, a logic answer key, and things for my oldest's co-op science class because they haven't setted yet what they're doing. I filled out the paperwork and wrote the deposit checks for co-op today. In March I'll make a final decision on how we're going to do standardized testing, and of course that's an expense too.

Then I'll buy what I need to teach the classes I'm assigned at the co-op (also TBD), and then I'll start working on 2011-2012 as I can.

Edited by GVA

Here's our plan for 8th grade next year;

Math - Algebra (Outside classe) if he's ready, if not Pre-Algebra (Saxon)

English - Lightning Lit 8

Grammar - haven't decided yet

Speech (outside class)

Debate Club

History - Military History of the Western World by JFC Fuller Vol. 1

CS Lewis biography

Science - Apologia Physical Science year 2

Phy Ed - Baseball, Football, Health (Mom's everyday learning academy lol)

We have 8th planned fairly well, but my 2nd grader is not as well planned.

8th-

Math-continue with R&S 8 and Singapore until she's ready for Algebra I

English-CW Homer until we're ready for Maxim

Latin-First Form until we're ready for Second Form and I may add Cambridge

French- L'Art de lire

Science-undecided

History-Ren. & Reformation time period with our spines for this year to be finished + D. Mill's book+ some biographies

Geography-2nd half of Book of Marvels

Literature to match history:

Julius Ceasar

Merchant of Venice

Auto. Ben. Franklin

Aeneid for Boys and Girls

English Lit. for Boys and Girls (to continue)

Bulfinch's Mythology (to continue)

The Hobbit

Essays-Swift, Bacon

Poetry-Shakespeare's Sonnets

Spenser's Fairie Queene (prose retelling)

2nd-

Math-Singapore 2B & Challenging Word Problems 2

English-Language Lessons & Handwriting Italics D

French- L'Art de lire

Science/Nature Study- Among the ....People series (from Yesterday's Classics)+ Burgess Animal Book

the rest I'm still working on....probably some choices from AO 3 and some we didn't get to in AO2 for History, Literature and Geog.