Menu

Hive mind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_mind

As one of the definitions in the link points out, a hive mind is a collective consciousness, as in a bee hive. Long ago someone referred to this community as a hive mind because so much knowledge is gathered and shared here, and it stuck. So when the boards were switched to the new system, that's the representation that the system took on.

Thank you ladies. That makes a lot of sense.

Now is there really a rule about no pop culture references? I only have a handful of posts so I'm allowed to ask stupid questions, right??:tongue_smilie:

:lol: Oh, pop culture references are expected and (usually) appreciated!

It dates back to the old boards. One night someone asked for the opinion of the "hive mind" as a joke. I don't remember who it was but as others have pointed out she was asking for the collective opinion of the people of the WTM boards.

I think it was Kay in CA.

There had been joking about how folks couldn't make decisions without checking in with the boards first and how the collective group gave much better/broader/more complete/riotously funnier advice than many would think out for ourselves.

I haven't heard from Kay in awhile, but last I knew her dh was doing well and the kids are keeping them on their toes in their new church/location. :)

Who's calling Star Trek 'pop culture'? :glare:

It's a venerable classic!:D

:iagree: Come on Star Trek is almost classical in nature. Throw in some Spock Logic, science with Scotty, English studies with Picard, history on the holodeck and you've got a nice study. Oh, and don't forget the best fashion advice ever, it could save your life, never wear red on an away mission. :D