Menu

Christmas toy hits/misses?

hi, Stephanie: Happy New Year!

Our guys are a little older than yours, but for our two grand-daughters (ages 6 and almost 4) we bought 'Sponge Bob' Play Sets (at their request) and a Wii game and a DS game (Grand-daughter age 6 does DS for visual issues - titles are suggested by the therapist).

Our girls are still loving their AG dolls and clothes and horses and furniture. All are loving Lego, puzzles, slinkies, and board games. Don't know if there is a Scrabble for younger kids, but my guys wake every morning and start playing Scrabble. Also, Connect 4, Battleship, and Risk.

I wanted to get a Brio train set (we actually had a set a few years ago but sold it b/c no one played with it) but will hold off on that for awhile till we are back at home. And, I have promised DD10 that we will 'do' her doll house when we return home - it is one of those large, ones that you would find in a doll house store. It will be fun to re-do a house that is manageable in size! :lol:

Mariann

Hits:

DS9: DS lite and scribblenauts and pokemon platinum games

DD7: Zoo Tycoon 2 computer game, Sonic the hedgehog stuff

DS3: Thomas the train Christmas engine, Melissa and Doug puzzles, Easel with chalkboard and paints

Games that are hits: Connect 4, Rush Hour, No Stress Chess, Thomas Great Race game

Haven't played Blokus yet.

A hit with us all...Wii Lego Rock Band!

No real misses here, so that is good! :001_smile:

The girls each got an iPod Touch and that was a big hit.

The Fisher Price Trio blocks that my Nana gave them are awesome! Even I love building with those.

The Ant Works gel ant farm that I got for DD5 is incredible. We watch that thing daily, as does everyone who steps foot into our house. We got the one that lights up on the bottom so you can see it better. I highly recommend this ant farm....it is so neat to watch the ants working and working. I also bought an ant book to learn about them too.

The game Zingo is great. Even my two year old loves it and can play it. And it is entertaining enough for DH and I as well.

My 2 year old loves her Fisher Price Animalville set that she got.

KEVA contraptions is a big hit (got it for 11 yr old) for everyone, adults included.

Settler of Catan is beloved already.

ALEX sewing machine broke on Cmas Day and created tears! A big no on that. Traded it in for a Madame Alexander doll and was loved.

The DIDJ and games are a big hit.

Hits for DS(6): Legos, Imaginext space shuttle set, and Playmobil Pyramid (bought after Christmas with a combination of allowance & Christmas money). Both kids have spent the last several days playing with the pyramid, even giving up TV time to do so! I'm not generally a Playmobil fan, but this was a definite hit!

Hits for DD(5): American Girl doll (Rebecca), trunk full of doll clothes, Calico Critters, and Calico Critter Tree House (bought after Christmas. She had been saving all of her allowance money and doing extra chores since she heard it was coming out this summer. With her Christmas money added to the mix & some deal-hunting for online coupons that I found, she had just enough to buy it).

Hits for both: Sticky Tile Mosaics. They have several kits and they keep them busy for hours! I used to have to buy them online, but AC Moore carries them now. They also both got a set of Shrinky Dinks in their stockings, and those were hits.

Misses: US Mint Proof sets. My aunt & uncle buy them these every year. I'm sure they'll appreciate them when they're older, but for now they don't find them very exciting ;)

hits for 5 and 10 year old:

push scooters

nerf guns( but mom and dad keep stealing these)

Schleich toys

Melissa and Doug Castle

Books

Movies(from family, actually old tv shows Andy Griffith and petticoat Junction)

Scrapbooking supplies set up in a kit

Coloring posters

A few games, a matching one and some others, Best in Breed dog game

New Build a Bear outfits

Nail polish:glare:

A really nice cat necklace

No misses yet.:)

We meet up with in laws on Sunday and I beleive they have a few more Schleich toys and some audio books of Hank the Cowdog for the children.

DD is almost 18 months and she loves her new shoes and clothes, she is too funny.

DS1 is 4.5 and he loves his V-tech handheld. Loves the Lincoln Logs great grandpa bought (massive amounts of them from an auction) They look like they were never played with and it is a tote full! He also loves the Jumpstart Wii game and Diego games he got.

DS2 will be 3 in a few days and got a Zippity, he loves to play it and is slowly getting better :) He loves his tractors he was given as well.

As a family we've been playing the memory game and the Cooties game, even DH has been having fun!

Hits:

3YOB: Hess truck, Quadrilla Marble Run, stuffed Moose from Kohl's that goes with If You Give a Moose a Muffin, his favorite book

3YOG: Quadrilla Marble Run, Belduc girl puzzle (the one that has the layers of the body)

11YOB: digital drum set, For Boys Only: The Biggest, Baddest Book Ever (found this at a thrift store for $.25 and he hasn't put it down - go figure!)

Misses: US Mint Proof sets. My aunt & uncle buy them these every year. I'm sure they'll appreciate them when they're older, but for now they don't find them very exciting ;)

My kids love those. They each got a set from a friend when they were born and they are fascinated by them when we get them out. My kids really love coins, though. They even collect the arcade junk coins. :001_huh:

The hits for my kids were:

dd5: connect 4, AG robe/slippers for her and doll, PiggyPaint nail polish, doll stroller, pillow pet, little cast iron pots, quirkle cubes.

ds6: cap gun, star wars blaster nerf gun, HABA marble run, pillow pet, no stress chess, razor scooter, bakugan.

The only miss was the spy watch for ds. I didn't even really want to get it for him but I knew he wanted it and he didn't really ask for anything and I haven't seen him play with it yet.

Guest janainaz

A bit hit around here has been the game Quiddler (if you love Scrabble and Rummy it's a thumbs up).

Bop It has also been played with a lot - it's just a fun thing to pick up and do instead of twiddling your thumbs.

Apples to Apples is another hit - we love it.

I got Great States game for ds9. So far, we are not loving it, it's a bit ho-hum. I love educational games, I really do, but for this one I just wish it was more 'fun'. I should have just ordered the deck of cards and saved some money.

I got ds5 Guess Who Extra. It's a lot of fun.

Last but not least, I really have enjoyed Saucer Scramble. It's an active game for kids (nothing educational about it). It's just fun and works great.

Hits - Plasma Cars! All three of my kids got one as a gift from my dad, and they love them. They have been on them everyday since Christmas. I wasn't sure if they would work or not, and I was very skeptical about whether my twins would ride them, but I was proven wrong. :)