Menu

Le Crueset

Well, the cast iron ones are non-stick and NOT teflon. They heat more evenly. They are made in France, not China. And I'm pretty sure that the carry a lifetime warranty although I've never tested that theory.

I use my frypan more than anything. They aren't really for boiling water, though. So not good for a pasta pot. You only use up to medium heat on the stovetop and I've had no problem with my ceramic cooktop.

I found a really nice, new set on Ebay for less than $200. That covered my smaller saucepans and small Dutch ovens. I added a couple of larger pieces for ovenware and a couple of large frypans (for biscuits, frying, you name it.)

Made in France (but not all - the cast iron still is but I've seen some plain ceramic cookware made by them which was not. I'd stick to the cast iron.) & tested to high European standards for lead/cadmium/arsenic etc in glazes.

Great for soups and stews. You can sear meat first & then add the rest of ingredients, turn down heat & make your stew. You can use on cooktop or in oven. My oven has a slow cook feature so I can use one in the oven instead of the slow cooker (most of which have inserts from who knows where & many of which tested high for heavy metal contamination in some recent studies...)

I'd be careful with your glass cooktop because they are so heavy - you don't want to bang it down, but I don't see why you couldn't use them. The bottom is very smooth.

They are beautiful.

Hmmm. That's a little confusing. They claim to be a "family owned and run" business, but they "import" the enamel covered cast iron stuff from China. So, they make the other stuff in the US? Very tricky wording on their part. :glare:

No, their website makes it clear that the enamel coated is made in China.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/lodge-enamel.asp

I recently read a review on Dutch ovens done by Cooks Illustrated I think. Actually, it was their show on PBS that I watched. ( America's Test Kitchen.)

Anyway, their winner was the LeCresuet dutch oven. But they usually offer an affordable option and it was the Tramontina Dutch oven. 50.00 and it is said to perform just as well as the LeCreuset brand.

Yes, you definitely need them. :D

But before you run out and by any full price, check Amazon. They frequently have really good sales on Le Creuset (especially on sets), and often you get things for free when you buy from Amazon. I've gotten a set of rubber spatulas with holder, and a set of heart ramekins free when buying from Amazon. (And always when it's been a really good deal on what I actually want as well.) And, if you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's near you, check there periodically, because they often have Le Creuset things as well.

Yes, you definitely need them. :D

But before you run out and by any full price, check Amazon. They frequently have really good sales on Le Creuset (especially on sets), and often you get things for free when you buy from Amazon. I've gotten a set of rubber spatulas with holder, and a set of heart ramekins free when buying from Amazon. (And always when it's been a really good deal on what I actually want as well.) And, if you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's near you, check there periodically, because they often have Le Creuset things as well.

I got ALL my crueset at TJ Maxx, Homegoods, and Amazon. It doesn't all match, but mine is for cooking, not for display, so I really don't care.

and, I *LOVE* it. I use it for everything. they are my only pots, except for the popcorn pot that I've kept. Soups and stews, pasta, roasts, etc.

I have a piece of their bakeware (came with the set from amazon) but I'm still using my pyrex, so I can't testify to that. My pyrex bakeware will have to be plied from my cold dead fingers!

I recently read a review on Dutch ovens done by Cooks Illustrated I think. Actually, it was their show on PBS that I watched. ( America's Test Kitchen.)

Anyway, their winner was the LeCresuet dutch oven. But they usually offer an affordable option and it was the Tramontina Dutch oven. 50.00 and it is said to perform just as well as the LeCreuset brand.

Do you remember what other brands they reviewed?

And I'm pretty sure that the carry a lifetime warranty although I've never tested that theory.

They do have a lifetime warranty. I contacted the company about the enamel eroding from one of my pots, and they never responded. As far as I am concerned, their warranty is a myth.

Here's a link to a discussion about using it on a glass top stove:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg0318154214697.html

Edited by RoughCollie

I contacted them last month and got an immediate reply. They sent me a code to send the pot back with and if it looked like a defect they would replace it and otherwise they would send it back or give me the option to buy another at 75% off retail.

I've been busy with the holidays and now with a move so I haven't had a chance to send it back yet.

I've gotten 20% off coupon and from our local kitchen shop and sometimes Le Creuset does package deals. So last month I used my coupon and bought a 4 qt pot that came with a free 9 in skillet, the end price wasn't bad for two pieces of first quality Le Creuset.

Also, if you live near an outlet sometimes good deals can be had there and they often have coupons too. I unfortunately don't live near one..but it's probably better on my wallet that I don't!

I have a on-going love affair with my Le Creuset pieces. I got a new large dutch oven for Christmas (some gals ask for diamonds, some ask for kitchen ware) and have used it every single day, including Christmas morning when I unwrapped it. It's blue. It's gorgeous. She's my girlfriend.

I leave it on my stove top so I can gaze at it.

I have the large dutch oven and use it all the time. I found it at TJ Maxx (tiny defect in finish) for much less. My brother has gotten an entire set from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I would love to add to my set. I really need new pans.

The pot can be heavy and I am using it on a glass cooktop so I am always very careful. I have to be careful with all my cookware though...I really dislike my glass range :(

Carolyn

Edited by samba

TJMaxx is great for reduced cost quality cooking supplies.

I got ALL my crueset at TJ Maxx, Homegoods, and Amazon. It doesn't all match, but mine is for cooking, not for display, so I really don't care.

and, I *LOVE* it. I use it for everything. they are my only pots, except for the popcorn pot that I've kept. Soups and stews, pasta, roasts, etc.

I have a piece of their bakeware (came with the set from amazon) but I'm still using my pyrex, so I can't testify to that. My pyrex bakeware will have to be plied from my cold dead fingers!

Huh. Mine has a big @ss USA stamped on the bottom.

a

Perhaps it's older? They're very clear now that their enamelled products currently avail are made in China.

Lots of companies have switched in just the past few years: crocs (I still have ones made in Canada & US) are now made in China & I was bitterly disappointed last week when my mom offered to buy me a new pair of Blundstone's boots to replace my worn ones, and we discovered they're no longer made in Australia. I didn't buy them :-(

I love Le Crueset for dutch ovens and saucepans. Oh, and I love my tea kettle. I don't think their enameled cast iron can be beat. Their stainless is pretty light weight. For that I prefer All Clad (I do not like Calphalon). I have had my Le Crueset and my All Clad my entire adult life. I worked in a kitchen shop as a teen and through grad school. I got to test out all the cookware.

When we bought our beach house, I bought Le Crueset stainless for our school housing, where I did not cook a lot and put the good stuff at the beach house where I did cook. As far as light weight stainless cookware goes, the Le Crueset performed well, however not nearly as well as the All Clad.

The Le Crueset cast iron pieces allow you to simmer for a long time at a lower heat without hot spots or scorching. Clean up is a snap in those pots. I feel like the enamel coating keeps food out of the nooks and crannies that you get in regular cast iron, but I could be wrong.

Here's link to the CI review results. It was written in 2007, and they haven't (to my knowledge) revised the list. The teaser overview is available for free (but it doesn't show the results). The actual results require web site membership (which I always plug as totally-worth-it!)

Lodge enamel cookware IS NOT the same exact stuff as Le Creuset. My LC pot has had hard, constant use for 17 years, and though the inside is stained, there's been no problem with it. My Lodge cast iron enamel Dutch oven I've had for a year. Enamel has chipped off the edge of the pot and on the lid. It also scorches/burns milk based soups and my cream candy. My LC has never done that.

I've used my LC on a ceramic top stove for years with no complaints.

I *heart* my Le Creuset!! For stovetop use I prefer LC and, ironically, a lodge cast iron pan (not enameled). For baking things I use Pampered Chef stoneware and Corning Ware. I freeze a lot of meals and usually use Pyrex casseroles with plastic lids for that since it can go in the freezer to fridge (to thaw) to oven, then back in the fridge for leftovers.

Here's link to the CI review results. It was written in 2007, and they haven't (to my knowledge) revised the list. The teaser overview is available for free (but it doesn't show the results). The actual results require web site membership (which I always plug as totally-worth-it!)

Thanks! That was enough. I was curious to see if they reviewed anything by Staub.

I don;'t have a subscription to Cooks Illustrated, but I could read enough of the article to get the list and that they recommend their $40.00 option which I do recall is the Tramontina. They loved the All-Clad and the LeCreuset, but the Tramontina is as good as the LeCreuset.

HTH

All-Clad Stainless 8-Quart Stockpot

Calphalon One Infused Anodized Dutch Oven

Emerilware from All-Clad Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Innova Color Cast Porcelain Enameled Cast Iron 5-Quart Round Dutch Oven

Le Creuset 7 1/4-Quart Round French Oven

Lodge Enamel-on-Cast-Iron 6-Quart Dutch Oven

Lodge Pro-Logic Pre-Seasoned Dutch Oven

Mario Batali Italian Essentials Enamel-on-Cast-Iron Pot

Tramontina 6.5-Qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Tramontina Sterling II 18/10 Stainless Steel Covered Dutch Oven

Any chance you could give us a synopsis of the Lodge and Tramontina enameled cast iron reviews?

I love Le Crueset, but a $50 Tramontina Dutch Oven is intriguing.

Bill

If you have a glass top stove be careful with enameled pans.

Admittedly I have a set of older pans (made by a company in Ireland) but when I use the fry pans on the glass top stove I can melt enamel off just enough to damage the stove. I never had this problem with electric coil or gas burners. I still use others in the oven. (If I were buying enameled cast iron by the piece I'd skip the fry pans and just own a cast iron skillet if I needed one.)

A heavy pan like this is great for oven cooking, soups, stews etc. If I were boiling water for pasta I'd want a stainless steel pan.

I love All-Clad personally. I thought that the lower cost "Emeril" set I purchased was also pretty good.

Any chance you could give us a synopsis of the Lodge and Tramontina enameled cast iron reviews?

I love Le Crueset, but a $50 Tramontina Dutch Oven is intriguing.

Bill

Tramontina 6 1/2 qt, Model Number 80131/504

Crafted from enameled cast iron, the oven produced glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew; fluffy white rice; and crispy French fries in the test kitchen. Its larger capacity (6.5 quarts) and even lower price made it our preferred choice over the Lodge (6 quarts.)

Lodge 6 qt. Model Number EC3D33

Crafted from enameled cast iron, and like the Tramontina produced glossy, deeply flavored Belgian beef stew; fluffy white rice; and crispy French fries in the test kitchen. But the Tramontina oven's larger capacity (6.5 quarts to the Lodge's 6 quarts) and even lower price made it our preferred choice.

Thanks! That was enough. I was curious to see if they reviewed anything by Staub.

They didn't...I wondered about that myself, too. I like the Staub a lot; I received a 5.5 LC for Christmas (5.5 qt -- I'm happy with it, even though it is smaller than I would've personally purchased -- but we're just a little family so it's big enough for most jobs).

I love my LC. I have collected through the years, so I have about 20 pieces - all blue. I use their coated frying pans for scrambled eggs and it works just fine. I have a LC wok that I use a lot for stir fries.

I use mine on my glass top stove all the time and have never had any problems.

I use mine on my glass top stove all the time and have never had any problems.

I too have glass top; I haven't used my brand new french oven yet; do you adjust the heat downward to compensate for the great heat conductivity? For example, if you are browning a roast prior to braising, do you brown it on high like you would in a normal metal-clad dutch oven, or do you do it on medium or other setting?

Well, the cast iron ones are non-stick and NOT teflon. They heat more evenly. They are made in France, not China. And I'm pretty sure that the carry a lifetime warranty although I've never tested that theory.

I use my frypan more than anything. They aren't really for boiling water, though. So not good for a pasta pot. You only use up to medium heat on the stovetop and I've had no problem with my ceramic cooktop.

I found a really nice, new set on Ebay for less than $200. That covered my smaller saucepans and small Dutch ovens. I added a couple of larger pieces for ovenware and a couple of large frypans (for biscuits, frying, you name it.)

How long have you been using these?? I need some new cookware, I'll either get a stainless steel set or something like this:-)

I too have glass top; I haven't used my brand new french oven yet; do you adjust the heat downward to compensate for the great heat conductivity? For example, if you are browning a roast prior to braising, do you brown it on high like you would in a normal metal-clad dutch oven, or do you do it on medium or other setting?

I use a medium-high heat setting to brown a roast.

IQUOTE]

I have a glass top stove for the past 15 months. Since we are almost empty nesters, it works great for the two of us. I loved my gas stove when I had all the kiddoes at home, but hated the clean up job.

Anway..boiling water takes a tad longer on the glass top stove, or at least it seems to. I use my electric tea pot to boil the water..it is extremely fast! I get my pasta pot out , turn the burner on and set the pot on it while I am waiting for the tea pot is coming to a boil. Then I just pour it in and wait for a sec while it reboils, add pasta and away we go!

I love these. We have the 5 1/2 qt dutch oven, 3 1/2 qt round and the 1 1/4 qt saucepan. They cook evenly, don't stick, easy to clean and I can do just about anything in them.

I have the orange set and until earlier this year I complained about how ugly and heavy they were and I did not know how expensive or well loved they were as they were a wedding gift from my inlaws years ago. Then earlier this year when I went on a girls getaway with some girlfriends I only see once a year.....we were at a hotel breakfast buffet and there were all my ugly pots and pans out on the table with food in them! When we sat down at the table I said "Ha, I have that same cookware at home." and I laughed. One of my girlfriends looked at me with her mouth open and said, "You have Le Creuset?" I told her that I didn't know what they were called, but they were the same ugly orange that the hotel had and they were darn heavy (and I said it with a little disgust). She repeated herself and then asked me if I knew how expensive they were....which of course I didn't! It was a great laugh to find out I had expensive cookware from France. Needless to say, I have a much greater appreciation for them now and I will never complain about them again. LOL

Dh got me a large oval Dutch Oven (not Le Creuset) but a look-alike, enameled cast iron inside and whatever color you like on the ouside. Don't know what he paid for it but it came from Cost Plus/World Market. It does not say "Made in China" but could be.

It works great, I love it for roasting chicken, lamb, pot pies, stews, etc.

I also use a 12" Lodge skillet practically every day. The Lodge came also pre-seasoned but is not enameled inside.The advantages are that we are not eating Teflon residue and we are not getting aluminum into our system. I would consider this skillet *essential* as cookware goes.

I am very conscious now what I eat and cook in after an unfortunate health scare. Before then, I bought the cheapest pan I could get, thinking they are all the same - they are definitely not!

They didn't...I wondered about that myself, too. I like the Staub a lot; I received a 5.5 LC for Christmas (5.5 qt -- I'm happy with it, even though it is smaller than I would've personally purchased -- but we're just a little family so it's big enough for most jobs).

Do you have anything by Staub? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the differences between LC and Staub.

How does LC perform on things like scrambled or fried eggs? Or do you use something else for that?

Le Crueset does very nicely on scrambled or fried eggs. I made scrambled eggs yesterday from eggs that had just been laid that morning (still warm) by our hens, and they were so delicious!

The LC lets you do eggs the "French way", just shaking the pan back and forth (rather than messing with them with a tool) and this makes the eggs very "fluffy." It's amazing the difference that different pans have when omelet-making. LC eggs have their own special quality. You do need to use a small amount of butter.

Bill

Le Crueset does very nicely on scrambled or fried eggs. I made scrambled eggs yesterday from eggs that had just been laid that morning (still warm) by our hens, and they were so delicious!

The LC lets you do eggs the "French way", just shaking the pan back and forth (rather than messing with them with a tool) and this makes the eggs very "fluffy." It's amazing the difference that different pans have when omelet-making. LC eggs have their own special quality. You do need to use a small amount of butter.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! That helps a lot.

Bill

One more question...are you using the enameled pans for this?

One more question...are you using the enameled pans for this?

Yes. The only LC frying pan we have is quite small (unfortunately) so I can only make small omelets in this pan. But they are delicious, an quite unlike the texture I get from other pans.

If you like "fluffy" soft-textured eggs, the enameled cast iron is hard to beat.

Bill