Alfredo:

put a little butter in the bottom of a pan (about 1-2 Tbsp) and melt it

add about 1 cup of milk

melt in 1 8oz pkg. of cream cheese

melt in 1/2-3/4c. parmesan cheese

crush 1 large garlic clove into it

add more milk if needed

Also:

Cut up--fresh tomatoes, onions, scallions, grate one carrot, grate one zucchini, chop up broccoli, and add in some bacon bits

Warm all of this up with olive oil, garlic, and some pepper flakes until the broccoli is al dente and toss with pasta

I would also check out Rachel Ray's site for pasta recipes. She has a TON!

these are our favorites.

Artichoke Spinach lasagne - has tomato sauce, but you need to make an exception for this because it is so good. (Note: per the reviews use 1/2 of the chicken stock called for in the recipe)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Artichoke-Spinach-Lasagna/Detail.aspx

Angel Chicken pasta:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Angel-Chicken-Pasta/Detail.aspx

Shrimp and penne pasta with white wine and Butter Buds

Also frozen chicken or cheese ravioli is great with Alfredo sauce.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ferdie

Glop:

Cook as many spaghetti noodles as you need for everyone. For every serving of spaghetti, use one tablespoon of full fat cream cheese, cut into thin strips, and 2 teaspoons of really good olive oil. Put the cream cheese strips into the bottom of a big serving bowl. Sprinkle heavily with garlic powder, and lightly with white pepper. Pour the drained, hot noodles in. Drizzle the olive oil over everything. Then start tossing the noodles--you want to gradually mix in the cream cheese, which has been significantly softened by the hot noodles. You want a little cream cheese everywhere, but some lumps here and there are nice. Then shave parmesan cheese over the whole thing and serve.

This is SO GOOD. It's ridiculous how good it is. It sounds disgusting, but it's really, really good. I'm getting hungry now...

You can also separately saute some wild mushrooms in olive oil with a little lemon juice to either serve with this or mix in. This gives a totally different flavor than the original. Voila! Variety!

I roasted a red pepper and pureed a package of frozen spinach. Then in a pan, I put in about 2 tbsp of olive oil and added some garlic. I chopped up the red pepper and added that to the pan too. I sauted that a little bit and then I added the spinach. I added to that, a cup of heavy cream. I added salt and pepper to my prefference and I let it simmer on low for about 30 mins. I poured over fettuccinni pasta and sprinkled some parmasean over it. I was very happy to see that my children couldn't get enough of it.

You can also make pasta salads or pasta premavera(sp). What I made above was a variation on an alfredo sauce it it would be just as good with asparagus or artichokes. You can even add tender pieces of chicken.

One of our family favorites is pasta with chicken, zucchini, cheese and cherry tomatos, recipe linked

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1935,147174-229199,00.html

Often we just saute whatever vegs, fish, shrimp or chicken we have on hand in a little olive oil with some garlic and spices, toss in some fresh grated parmesan cheese, add a salad and call it dinner.

Well, this isn't a main meal, more like a side or maybe a dessert but it is really good. My kids devour it up. The one thing I will say is to try it before you judge it. Had I seen the recipe up front I never would have made it but a friend made it and it was sooo good. Once I saw the recipe I couldn't believe it was the right one. But anyways, it's called Frog Eye Salad and it has pasta in it so it would meet your requirements.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Frog-Eye-Salad/Detail.aspx

My dh wants me to cook pasta once a week and I am getting bored with red sauce. What are your favorite pasta recipes - I am particularly interested in recipes that are NOT tomato based and no ground beef.

Thanks.

We actually call this one "Favorite Pasta!" ;-)

Melt 2-3 TBS butter in a medium-sized saute' pan. Whisk in 1-1.5 cups half-and-half. When bubbly, add a big handful of fresh spinach leaves (or 2/3ish cup frozen spinach) and 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained. Add 1-2 tsp nutmeg, some salt and pepper. When the pasta is ready, fold in 1/4-1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese. Serve over linguini.

I wish we weren't dairy-free right now, b/c now I want to make this! ;-)

Lisa

Pasta with Lemon--it's not really "lemony" tasting. Dc and I love this; dh not so much.

PASTA WITH LEMON

12 oz. angel hair, spaghetti, or your choice of long pasta

3 T. butter or margarine

2 T. lemon juice

1 t. lemon zest

1 c. half and half

salt, pepper

1/2 c. parmesan cheese

Put butter, lemon juice and zest in a large pan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, let it sizzle for 30 seconds. Pour in half and half, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about half.

(That sounds too fancy for me; just cook it on medium heat, stir it every few minutes, and it'll be ready in ten mins.)

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.

When the pasta is draining, take the sauce off the heat and then dump the pasta and sauce together into one of the pans. Mix well, adding in the parmesan cheese, and serve.