Menu

Were to post dog for sale?

Mmmm. Well, perhaps you should have figured out how to home the puppies before you bred your dogs?

If you are *giving* them away, you can usually get a free ad in the local paper or via various websites. If you are selling them, then pony up and pay for an ad in the paper or whatever websites are out there for breeders.

I hope you save enough $$ from the sale of these pups to fix your dogs!!

Sorry, but irresponsible breeding is to root of such misery. You really should not allow your dogs to breed.

Mmmm. Well, perhaps you should have figured out how to home the puppies before you bred your dogs?

If you are *giving* them away, you can usually get a free ad in the local paper or via various websites. If you are selling them, then pony up and pay for an ad in the paper or whatever websites are out there for breeders.

Sorry, but irresponsible breeding is to root of such misery. You really should not allow your dogs to breed.

Ok, totally out of line without knowing the history. :001_huh: I adopted these dogs in August. The owner told me the female was due to come into heat in Decemeber. I had an appointment with the vet for late October. She went into heat sometime early October only 4 months from her first heat. She only weighs about 6 pounds so we didnt even know until the dogs got "hung up". I had no intention of breeding them. But because they did it has cost me alot of money for the c section and the care of the pups. Instead of dumping them at a shelter or giving them to people that probably couldn't afford vet care I am selling them for less than the going price since they are registered. I plan to have both of them fixed when we recive our income tax return since the delivery cost all my extra money. Sometimes things happen to good people without then meaning to cause any harm. you might want to think about that.

Ok, totally out of line without knowing the history. :001_huh: I adopted these dogs in August. The owner told me the female was due to come into heat in Decemeber. I had an appointment with the vet for late October. She went into heat sometime early October only 4 months from her first heat. She only weighs about 6 pounds so we didnt even know until the dogs got "hung up". I had no intention of breeding them. But because they did it has cost me alot of money for the c section and the care of the pups. Instead of dumping them at a shelter or giving them to people that probably couldn't afford vet care I am selling them for less than the going price since they are registered. I plan to have both of them fixed when we recive our income tax return since the delivery cost all my extra money. Sometimes things happen to good people without then meaning to cause any harm. you might want to think about that.

Is there a breed rescue near you? You might contact them and explain the situation and they might be able to help you or point you in the right direction. Other than that, an ad in your local paper would probably be the way to go.

What kind of pups?

Sheesh! :001_huh: :confused: :chillpill:

To the OP: Try posting in vets offices (free!) or in the classifieds in your local paper. They often have online classifieds as well, so you get the paper ad plus the online ad. And, like a previous poster suggested, if you're on a yahoo group for a local homeschooling board, there are also pet posts all the time on ours. Good luck! :)

Well, I'm with StephanieZ.

Yes, accidents do happen but they can also be prevented.

This dog should have have been spayed when you got her.

Having an unspayed female and an intact male in the same household requires endless, constant vigilance & a sophisticated knowledge of dog behaviour. It can be done safely by only very few people. The vast majority of people should not take the risk.

And I don't understand your use of the word 'adopt'. Unless she came to you from a shelter or reputable rescue, you bought her. And if she had come to you from a shelter or reputable rescue, she would have been spayed already.

And no size excuses. The rescue I volunteer for has fancy rats spayed - they weigh roughly 350 gm - ie less than a lb. A 6 lb dog can definitely be spayed by a knowledgeable vet & she should have been spayed *before* her first heat.

In an ideal universe you would have these puppies spayed & neutered now, before rehomeing them. Take a loan if you need to. Pediatric spay/neuter is endorsed by the AVMA & is a key component in dealing with the unwanted pet population & the MILLIONS of dogs and cats which are being put to sleep in shelters all over the country each year.

You can sell them on a contract to s/n but then you'll be responsible to follow up and realistically, how will you force the owners to be responsible if they decide they don't want to?

What if they decide to have a litter - just for fun? Or for profit?

Harsh? Try volunteering at a kill shelter and knowing that unless someone pulls a miracle out of the air, the animals will be killed by the time you return - even the sweet, friendly, cuddly, young, perfect, purebred ones.

"Ooopsie litters" drive me NUTS.

Having an unspayed female and an intact male in the same household requires endless, constant vigilance & a sophisticated knowledge of dog behaviour. It can be done safely by only very few people. The vast majority of people should not take the risk.

And I don't understand your use of the word 'adopt'. Unless she came to you from a shelter or reputable rescue, you bought her. And if she had come to you from a shelter or reputable rescue, she would have been spayed already.

And no size excuses. The rescue I volunteer for has fancy rats spayed - they weigh roughly 350 gm - ie less than a lb. A 6 lb dog can definitely be spayed by a knowledgeable vet & she should have been spayed *before* her first heat.

In an ideal universe you would have these puppies spayed & neutered now, before rehomeing them. Take a loan if you need to. Pediatric spay/neuter is endorsed by the AVMA & is a key component in dealing with the unwanted pet population & the MILLIONS of dogs and cats which are being put to sleep in shelters all over the country each year.

You can sell them on a contract to s/n but then you'll be responsible to follow up and realistically, how will you force the owners to be responsible if they decide they don't want to?

Harsh? Try volunteering at a kill shelter and knowing that unless someone pulls a miracle out of the air, the animals will be killed by the time you return - even the sweet, friendly, cuddly, young, perfect, purebred ones.

I don't disagree with your perspective at all, just the rudeness with which a previous poster expressed the sentiment. Care about animals, but then treat people with harshness? (not so much my thing, 'ya know?) :001_smile:

ok to clear up a few things. I did not say she couldnt be fixed because of her size. what I said was that we had an appointment and did not know she had come into heat early. I have always had all my animals fixed and they would have been no exception. I did adopt them when I consider I received them from a lady that could no longer afford to care for them and was about to place them in a shelter. Yes I paid for them but only the amount to cover the owner's expenses. Where I live it cost $100 to adopt a dog from the shelter what is the difference. These are the first dogs that we have not gotten from the shelter and I have even supported and volunteered for a rescue center in the past so again, I think to post to me as if I am a puppy mill or someone who is breeding for the money is very unfair. Yes I disagree with people who run puppy mills but take it up with them not me. And thank you to those with responses to my questions. I am looking into a rescue center and I do not want to sell my adult (who will be fixed after the 1st of the year) just the 2 puppies. Oh, and they are Papillons.

Wow, I'm shocked at the answers to her innocent question! It wasn't as if she was asking who kills puppies cheap, for pete's sake! She was asking how she can locate a home for some puppies.

FWIW, our pup came from an ad on CL, and she was an "oops pregnancy". The owners were very thorough with thier questions before they said we could take her home. Op, if you choose to go that route, just be sure the people who are looking for a puppy want a pet, not something horrible. Ask a lot of questions.

ETA - I am not advocating using CL - there really are too many "crazies" out there. If you do, please be very careful. A better option would be to check with your local homeschool group first, imo, as well as family and extended relatives - if not for themselves, they might know someone that they trust who is looking for an addition to thier family.

Edited by LauraGB

I'm so sorry that one of the responses you've received has been incredibly harsh and very rude! :grouphug:

It's a nice thing that you're concerned with finding nice homes for the pups.

Maybe try asking your vet? I know ours has a bulletin board in the office for just such a purpose.

Posting at your vet does a double duty. They know these people, you can get off the cuff references ;)

As for the harshness, I totally agree.

ok to clear up a few things. I did not say she couldnt be fixed because of her size. what I said was that we had an appointment and did not know she had come into heat early. I have always had all my animals fixed and they would have been no exception. I did adopt them when I consider I received them from a lady that could no longer afford to care for them and was about to place them in a shelter. Yes I paid for them but only the amount to cover the owner's expenses. Where I live it cost $100 to adopt a dog from the shelter what is the difference. These are the first dogs that we have not gotten from the shelter and I have even supported and volunteered for a rescue center in the past so again, I think to post to me as if I am a puppy mill or someone who is breeding for the money is very unfair. Yes I disagree with people who run puppy mills but take it up with them not me. And thank you to those with responses to my questions. I am looking into a rescue center and I do not want to sell my adult (who will be fixed after the 1st of the year) just the 2 puppies. Oh, and they are Papillons.

There's really no sense in explaining. They're being rude without even knowing a portion of the story, I doubt knowing any more will make them less rabid.

FWIW, some dog experts recommend that you until the female is in heat once to fix her. Not because of animal overpopulation issues, but because it is arguably best for the individual dog.

I don't know how old these puppies were when she got them but when I got my kittens, they were too young to fix. There is a minimum age under which it is not ideal to fix an animal.

My male dog which I got from a rescue was in fact, neutered at a young age. I know because I asked my vet how come he looked different from the other dog I had who had been neutered prior to my adoption of him. It was because he was neutered at a very young age.

My question is how much are you trying to sell them for? I think more knowledgeable people would be willing to pay something for the puppies but not anything like a price of a dog from a reputable breeder. Not because you are a puppy mill or anything like that. Simply if I am buying a registered dog, I want more than just a registration and a dog. I want a dog that comes from screened parents (screened for what depends on the breed) and from a breeder who took the time and effort to make a good breeding looking at things like temperament of the parents, and other characteristics. That is I would pay much more for a dog that had been specifically bred to promote health, good character and other breed characterics that I felt were important. I am not at all knowledgeable about Papillon prices but do know that newspaper prices for my dog breed are usually in the low to mid hundreds and serious breeder prices are usually in the high hundreds to over a thousand.

Good luck and I too would warn you away from Craiglist for this. I would also not give AKC registration until you have proof of sterilization and write the contract in a way to specifically state that the dog is sold only as a pet and specify whatever penalties you want to assess if the dog is bred.

My male dog which I got from a rescue was in fact, neutered at a young age. I know because I asked my vet how come he looked different from the other dog I had who had been neutered prior to my adoption of him. It was because he was neutered at a very young age.

Our male dog was neutured too young as well and it altered his physical maturation. The males of our particular breed should grow long manes. These manes, along with other secondary sex characteristics, set them apart from the female. In order to be shown in the ring the males must have the mane. Mane growth is triggered around six months through an increase in testosterone levels. Well, our pup was neutered at four months and did not have that testosterone surge, so no mane. He is no longer eligible to be shown in his breed class. It's a shame, too, because he was purchased to be a show dog. We love him anyway and he is a wonderful companion to my DS. If I were to buy another pup from the same breed I will not neuter it early.

Sorry for the hijack.

In order to be shown in the ring the males must have the mane. Mane growth is triggered around six months through an increase in testosterone levels. Well, our pup was neutered at four months and did not have that testosterone surge, so no mane. He is no longer eligible to be shown in his breed class.

I thought show dogs could not be neutered? Have the rules changed, or am I confused?

I thought show dogs could not be neutered? Have the rules changed, or am I confused?

It was a condition of the breeder. She didn't want the blood line being altered or something. DS was going to show the pup in junior shows and no one told us the dog couldn't be neutered. I don't know about the real fancy shows, though. This was our first foray into expensive dogs, usually we go with rescue animals from the local shelter.

Maybe it was the neutering and not the mane that made him ineligible. I'll have to check it out.

No, you're correct. Only intact dogs are eligible for breed (conformation) classes. However, spayed/neutered dogs are eligible to compete in companion events (obedience, rally-o, agility, tracking, drafting, weight pulling, etc.)

My hope is that these pups do not end up in homes where they will be exploited as breeding stock until their poor little bodies are completely worn out.

astrid

I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'll say this---- MY breed is not quite AKC recognized. We spent 20 years avoiding AKC recognition, but a group split off a few years ago and filed the paperwork, so.....here we are. No way out of the giant sucking black hole vortex.

HOWEVER, our breed has a long tradition of spay/neuter classes, and they are typically the classes that enjoy the highest entry numbers. I am currently the president of our national breed club, and as long as there is breath in my body, I"ll do all I can to ensure that these classes always continue at our club shows.

Sigh.

astrid

FWIW, some dog experts recommend that you until the female is in heat once to fix her. Not because of animal overpopulation issues, but because it is arguably best for the individual dog.

I don't know how old these puppies were when she got them but when I got my kittens, they were too young to fix. There is a minimum age under which it is not ideal to fix an animal.

From what I have been told, spaying/neutering is done at 6 months of age for dogs and cats. This is what we have been told by vets and humane society.

We adopted a male kitten and already had a female cat. She was just 6 months old and hadn't spayed her yet. The male cat was supposed to be only 3 months old... per the humane society. We scheduled the female to get spayed. Well low and behold when we took her in for spaying.. she was already pregnant. Now that male kitten had to have been older than what the humane society. Nothing we could have done about that as we were going by what we were told by the professionals.

The male cat didn't even drop so the vet said it was very rare for such a young kitten to be able to impregnate. But it happened so we dealt with it... we spayed the male once he was "6" months old, and the female after she had her litter and the vet said it was safe to do so. The kittens the vet took in when they were weaned and he found them good homes.

It was an oops but not the end of the world. Accidents happen... it is nature and it does not mean that owners were irresponsible!!!! Irresponsible owners are those who don't care and ignore what they should do, etc. But trusting information from those who are supposed to know (vets, etc) is not irresponsible.

From what I have been told, spaying/neutering is done at 6 months of age for dogs and cats. This is what we have been told by vets and humane society..

This is not how it's done in progressive rescue groups around here.

ALL cats & kittens and dogs & puppies here are spayed/neutered prior to adoption - around 8 weeks.

The Cat Fanciers Association endorses pediatric spay/neuter prior to adoption from shelters. AVMA and CVMA, HSUS and other organizations are all behind pediatric spay/neuter. I think this is one tool in our toolbox in the animal welfare realm which can make a huge difference in the lives of animals.

There are MILLIONS of animals dying each year. Each ooopsie litter contributes to that number. It's not to be taken lightly.

http://www.tailsfromthelost.org/Puppy%20Mill-Animals%20in%20Garbage.jpg --- these are dead animals from ONE day in ONE shelter in North America. :crying:

"Every day" at the animal shelter

This is not how it's done in progressive rescue groups around here.

ALL cats & kittens and dogs & puppies here are spayed/neutered prior to adoption - around 8 weeks.

The Cat Fanciers Association endorses pediatric spay/neuter prior to adoption from shelters. AVMA and CVMA, HSUS and other organizations are all behind pediatric spay/neuter. I think this is one tool in our toolbox in the animal welfare realm which can make a huge difference in the lives of animals.

There are MILLIONS of animals dying each year. Each ooopsie litter contributes to that number. It's not to be taken lightly.

http://www.tailsfromthelost.org/Puppy%20Mill-Animals%20in%20Garbage.jpg --- these are dead animals from ONE day in ONE shelter in North America. :crying:

"Every day" at the animal shelter

Most rescue and shelters in the U.S. promote early spay/neuter as well. So far as I am aware, all major rescue/shelter organizations require spay/neuter prior to sexual maturity, for population as well as health reasons.

Most major shelters s/n prior to adoption, even of tiny pups/kits. My vet hospital's adoption program does s/n no later than 14 weeks except for very fragile/health issues, and that is later than many/most rescue/shelters. Most shelters will do the SX very, very early -- 6 or 8 weeks.

FWIW, it is usually very cheap (often free/thrown in) to add a spay to a c-section surgery as it is actually an easier SX to take the uterus OUT than to sew it up and leave it in. It is a standard of care to offer spay at time of c-section (except sometimes in ER hospitals who don't want to "poach" the routine spay from the referring DVM, but even most/many ER surgeons would recommend/offer spay). Did OP actually DECLINE spay at the time of c-section? If it wasn't offered, I'd scream at the vet. If it was declined, then, well, that seems inconsistent with the tone of her other posts.

Pure and simple: It is irresponsible to put (or leave) an intact opposite sex animal in a home w/ an intact animal for *any* period of time unless you are one of those (very) rare responsible breeders.

If you aren't aware of the consequences of opposite sex unaltered pets being in the same household, I recommend some remedial biology education ASAP. ;)

I am really shocked by the cavalier attitude so many people have about the consequences of these "unintended" breedings. I think everyone who allows their pet to breed should have to earn a license to do so by putting in some hours assisting with the euthanasia team at their local shelters. Putting in the catheters while the pup wags. Taking the whole litter of healthy pups one by one to the table wagging and licking and then to the freezer limp and cold. How about sticking the needles straight in their chests for intracardiac euthanasia. How about stuffing a dozen of them in a gas chamber. How about you being the one to pick the 50 that need to be put down that day from the 80 lovable, healthy ones, b/c there is only room for 30. Or, how about you being the one to take every single living soul to the euth chamber from the kennels b/c of a (treatable) disease outbreak that the shelter cannot afford to treat and can't contain w/o cleaning house completely. How about you taking the daily calls from people trying to find homes for the kittens someone dumped on their porch. Telling them that if they take them to the local shelter, they will be immediately euthanized (inhumanely, BTW) and there is no other program in the region to take them off the property owner's hands. They are just out of luck. Good samaritan finding a litter in the alley at work -- good luck with that, as there are no "programs" here to help -- so they will suffer, and die, and that is just the way it is. So, either look the other way at the suffering, or pay up to "fix" it yourself, knowing that another litter will replace the one you just took care of before you can say "early spay and neuter, please!!", because the need is a bottomless well of misery and suffering.

I don't read the websites. I don't even read the mailers. I don't look at the pictures. I don't have to. I see these things routinely in my work. I know the truth and I do what I can to help, always knowing it can never be enough.

Meanwhile, reasonably intelligent people saying "I didn't mean for them to breed." . . . Sort of how, "I didn't mean to get pregnant" works (sort of) for a 15 yo who never learned about the birds and the bees, but comes off as plain silly when a 30 yo mother of 3 pulls it.

This "I didn't intend it." is really only a viable excuse in extremely rare situations -- such as you believed the pet(s) were already altered d/t incorrect advice from a vet. If your vet actually advised you to wait on s/n when you had an opposite sex intact pet in the home, then you need to find a new vet.

So, if you thought I was rude in my first post, maybe you can now appreciate how much I was biting my tongue. ;)

It is very hard to stand by and allow people to perpetuate the attitudes that contribute to this mass misery. I know most people have good hearts, so I must believe that it is ignorance and not heartlessness that leads to these actions, so I tend towards speaking up with the intent of educating.

I shouldn't have looked at the first post. I wish I could avoid these threads altogether, but I guess it's like driving by a car wreck -- can't help but look. I will try to avoid the General Board as I have a hard time not opening the pet related threads and they often make me cringe. I had too much time on my hands with our schooling vacation this week. I will get back to my closet cleaning and avoid the General board.

To the OP: Good luck finding good homes for your puppies. And, please make sure you understand your b!tch's fertility cycle NOW as rapid post-whelping re-impregnantation is not at all rare.

One big problem with rescues though is the lack of availability of small dogs and family friendly smaller dogs. In many areas of the country, all you find at pounds are pit bull mixes and other very aggressive breeds. We looked first at shelters. But we had to go to a breed specific group because I need small dogs due to my health concerns ( I have arthritis in my feet among other places and can't have any dog that will be able to pull me). Likewise there are problems for allergic families, elderly people, and many other groups getting pets from shelters. I remember a board thread this last year where all the different reasons people were precluded by the shelter from adopting were discussed. Some of these were single adults, military, elderly, apartment living, etc, etc.

Most rescue and shelters in the U.S. promote early spay/neuter as well. So far as I am aware, all major rescue/shelter organizations require spay/neuter prior to sexual maturity, for population as well as health reasons.

While I'm not sure how our shelter does things (it is a kill facility), I have never encountered a vet who would even do sterilization before 4 months at the earliest. Not saying its not done, of course, but every vet I have called (and I think sometime in the last 6 years I've called them all), says 4-6 months or there could be life long physical repercussions. So, you see, sterilizing an 8 week old pup would seem unheard of and dangerous and downright mean to a lot of pet owners. I simply would not do it, were it me.

And Stephanie, the experiences you shared with us are disturbing and heartbreaking at best - and is certainly understood. I could never ever ever work or volunteer in the capacity you did - I am not even close to being strong enough.

But I'm not sure, from what I can tell, it should be directed to the op and her original question. Definitely a time and place, but, from what I gather from her posts, I don't think the op needs to be lumped into the same category as irresponsible pet owners/breeders.

Edited by LauraGB

While I'm not sure how our shelter does things (it is a kill facility), I have never encountered a vet who would even do sterilization before 4 months at the earliest. Not saying its not done, of course, but every vet I have called (and I think sometime in the last 6 years I've called them all), says 4-6 months or there could be life long physical repercussions. So, you see, sterilizing an 8 week old pup would seem unheard of and dangerous and downright mean to a lot of pet owners. I simply would not do it, were it me.

Rescue groups and shelters who spay and neuter early do so to animals that have not yet been put up for adoption. The risk of spaying and neutering early comes from the dangers of the anesthesia. The "babies" have trouble with recovery from the anesthesia. If the puppy or kitten dies from the anesthesia (a very distinct possibility), the shelter has not killed someone's pet. It is a risk they are willing to take.

Your local vet is not going to take that risk with a client's PET. Therefore, the vet is going to wait until he is relatively certain the pet will survive the anesthesia and that generally falls somewhere around 6 months of age.

To those who are quick to criticize:

Yes, we all need to practice responsible pet ownership. But we also need to recognize that accidents happen. The OP is not a person who is letting dogs breed endlessly in her back yard, so cut her some slack. None of us want to live under a microscope and be judged by others (particularly by those who only know us on a message board).

Respectfully,

Brigitte

No, you're correct. Only intact dogs are eligible for breed (conformation) classes. However, spayed/neutered dogs are eligible to compete in companion events (obedience, rally-o, agility, tracking, drafting, weight pulling, etc.)

My hope is that these pups do not end up in homes where they will be exploited as breeding stock until their poor little bodies are completely worn out.

astrid

:iagree:

I would highly suggest not even giving these dogs away with registration for that very reason. The next owner could continue on with this scenario. I would give them away or sell for little money, with heavy screening of potential new owners. Often on the phone people can say all the right things and sound perfect, get them at the house and talking, and things spill out like.. Oh..I think I will have just one litter and then spay her... UM... NOT.. or.... OH, my chihuahua might annoy her, so I might give him away... UM... SEE YA ... dont' let the door hit you in the #$@!

(funny when telling, but not funny at all.. dog breeding is to be taken very seriously)

Edited by jazzyfizzle
how the heck do you spell chihuahua ugg

Stephanie makes a very good point- since approx. 4 months or so have passed since the heat cycle, it likely won't be long at all for your female to be coming back into heat.

I have known only one dog ever, that gave very little physical sign of coming in heat (i.e. swelling, bleeding, ect.) and even with that, the males make this evident by their interest and posturing.

Here is a link, it has what may be considered graphic photos, but useful if you do not have anyone to educate you.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

thanks for the replys and support. I have them seperated now until their vet appointment I am glad this was pointed out as the vet didnt say anything to me about her being able to breed this soon. she still has some slight bledding from the birth so I will really have to watch her. And no the vet did not mention I could of had her fixed during the c0section. This may have been because I was so upset at spending over $500 a month before Christmas. I am also agreeing with the fact that I think I will sell them for a lower price without the papers so someone would be less likely to breed them. Someone mentioned requiring that the pups be fixed by the new owner can I do that? Also, I called my vet and they will not fix a dog before 4 months for larger dogs and 6 months for small dogs like mine. Just FYI. Also, I can understand that some people are very passoniate about this cause I admire that however, I am not the person to direct your anger at. Yes, we made a mistake but we are trying to fix the problem and if you have that much passion and anger over this you should really find a constuctive output that would actually do some good. lastly I must say this is not the first time I have seen someone (myself included) be ripped to shreads over a very simple question. This is supposed to be a friendly board to exchange ideas and thoughts. How sad that someone finds the need to be so rude and obnoxious to someone they dont even know. :confused1:

Just FYI. Also, I can understand that some people are very passoniate about this cause I admire that however, I am not the person to direct your anger at. Yes, we made a mistake but we are trying to fix the problem and if you have that much passion and anger over this you should really find a constuctive output that would actually do some good. lastly I must say this is not the first time I have seen someone (myself included) be ripped to shreads over a very simple question. This is supposed to be a friendly board to exchange ideas and thoughts. How sad that someone finds the need to be so rude and obnoxious to someone they dont even know. :confused1:

I'd love to see some apologies flying around this thread, and a THANK YOU to her for not having just killed all the dogs or turning them all into the shelter. WOW, what a great thing she did, paying for a surgery and seeing that part of it through. I can tell you that wouldn't have happened in our home -- my dh is out of work and we would have put NO money of our own into it; we'd have taken care of the problem another way.

So THANK YOU, thowell, for doing what you did.

lastly I must say this is not the first time I have seen someone (myself included) be ripped to shreads over a very simple question. This is supposed to be a friendly board to exchange ideas and thoughts. How sad that someone finds the need to be so rude and obnoxious to someone they dont even know. :confused1:

I think it is the nature of a public board. :grouphug: It's really too bad, though, because people say things on the internet that they would never say in person. It's easy to be judgmental and rude when it is someone you don't ever have to look in the eye.

mentioned requiring that the pups be fixed by the new owner can I do that? :confused1:

The breeder for our pup required neutering as a condition for sending us the registration papers - no proof of neutering, no papers. She also did this with at least one other dog from the litter - we happened to run into a same litter brother of our dog at a 4H dog show and it came up in the conversation because their pup was neutered too early as well and also didn't grow the mane.

I'd love to see some apologies flying around this thread, and a THANK YOU to her for not having just killed all the dogs or turning them all into the shelter. WOW, what a great thing she did, paying for a surgery and seeing that part of it through. I can tell you that wouldn't have happened in our home -- my dh is out of work and we would have put NO money of our own into it; we'd have taken care of the problem another way.

So THANK YOU, thowell, for doing what you did.

:grouphug:

Someone mentioned requiring that the pups be fixed by the new owner can I do that?

I think what you would do is have the new owner pre-pay for a spay/neuter with the vet of their choice, before taking the dog home with them, and bring you the receipt. You could also call once you have the receipt to make sure it's valid. Have them sign a paper saying they will have the surgery done by {date}, and that you reserve the right to take the dog back if you call and it's not done. This is what a rescue group did with us; I don't see why a private party couldn't do this.