Menu

Help me help this lady.....

Free Indeed

There is a lady at our church who is just beginning to try to homeschool her granddaughter. The little girl is almost 10, but behind in everything and on a 3rd grade level. The mother has been on drugs, the girls tossed around (there is more than 1, but this one is the one I am trying to figure out for now), and neglected. Grandma is on a very limited income, and has very little cash to get started. She does not want to put her in school where she will most likely be labeled ADHD, and put in special classes, she knows she can learn, just needs the opportunity. Grandma is willing to help the child, but she will need curriculum to hold her hand as she has never undertaken such a task, and has no idea where to begin. She has no computer, or knowledge of how to use one.

Any ideas for an inexpensive, hand holding curriculum she can use? On one hand I would like to stay away from textbooks, but on the other hand what else could she use that fits these requirements? Help me to help her please.

I don't know where you're at, but our state's virtual schools (K-12 and Connections, I think?) apparently provide a computer.

What about CLE? That strikes me as a very low-maintenance curriculum.

I'm not sure that K12 will let her excel or catch up. When I spoke to them, the lady said it was basically ps online. IOW, no flexibility, no chance to accellerate classes.

I would recommend TWTM, because it outlines how to homeschool. FLL would be nice, if she can afford it. Then, and I really can't post this enough, search the library. There are resources there, really. Especially in the adult section, we live in podunk and our tiny little library has a decent section on hsing, afterschooling, supplementing, and then adult refreshers and education. All of those can be used. Also, if your state has Standards of Learning, she can use those to guide her. Here they are really specific. I've found them to be a good guide (especially for language skills and math) so I can tell if ds is at level or not, and what we need to cover so he meets the minimum requirements.

I'm not sure that K12 will let her excel or catch up. When I spoke to them, the lady said it was basically ps online. IOW, no flexibility, no chance to accellerate classes.

I am sure that in LA and math they will use a placement test to place the child appropriately. Then, at least at the VA in our state, they will place her at her grade level in science and history.

I am sure that in LA and math they will use a placement test to place the child appropriately. Then, at least at the VA in our state, they will place her at her grade level in science and history.

Yeah, I'm in VA too. What I meant was, once you're placed, it's like in ps. That is your grade, period. That's the impression I got from speaking with them when I first took ds out of school. We were going to use K12, but once I spoke with their representative, she said it was not what we were looking for. Ds would be a 2nd grader (or higher, depending on how he placed) and he would have to stay at that level. I'm sure you can skip grades in between, or at least I would guess you could, since you can in ps. It's just the dc in question is, according to the OP, very far behind. It doesn't seem that K12 would allow her to catch up, it would just keep her at grade 3, iykwIm.

If I were in this situation, I think I'd suggest starting with CLE. Open and go, very inexpensive, and tangible progress as the workbook pages are completed. That would be reassuring. My parents did something similar when they pulled me out of public school and brought me home for 6th grade home school. We started with a pre-packaged curriculum (this was almost 25 years ago, and home schooling wasn't "done" by many people then). It was a nice, reassuring place to start. As the years went by we tweaked and customized curriculum.

Yeah, I'm in VA too. What I meant was, once you're placed, it's like in ps. That is your grade, period. That's the impression I got from speaking with them when I first took ds out of school. We were going to use K12, but once I spoke with their representative, she said it was not what we were looking for. Ds would be a 2nd grader (or higher, depending on how he placed) and he would have to stay at that level. I'm sure you can skip grades in between, or at least I would guess you could, since you can in ps. It's just the dc in question is, according to the OP, very far behind. It doesn't seem that K12 would allow her to catch up, it would just keep her at grade 3, iykwIm.

That is not true in our state and perhaps in Texas as well. MY son is in second grade but is on course to start 4th grade math and and 3rd grade language arts this year. They generally only allow you to advance in language arts and math which is really the most important topics for advancement IMHO. I have heard of students who are advanced whole grades which I suspect is possible with testing.

OTOH, I also know of many families with special needs students who are behind academically and using lower grade levels with success in the K12 school here:) They also get extra academic support such as tutoring, extra support classes, etc. with IEP's.

As far as flexibility, I find the school here in PA very flexible. I am free to work 24/7 with my ds as long as I take the 1 minute to log his attendance on school days. In fact, my ds attends an all day, weekly home school co-op that is not part of the school with the school's blessings;) I also am free so to speak to substitute or add other materials as long as I meet the objectives. Frankly, though I do not want to substitute since the curriculum really is great. My ds does have 2 mandatory online sessions per month and 3 face to face sessions yearly. The teacher is pretty flexible in regards to scheduling these as well. My son has to hand in selected samples of his work every 2 months via email.

I recommend anyone who is considering a public cyber charter school to have a list of thorough questions to ask such as mandatory classes, assignments, flexibility, etc. Plus I recommend checking out the curriculum as well. If there is more than one choice of cyber schools then I would check them all out.

We are coming out of Connections Academy and Little Lincoln online right now. I would say if the student is behind, virtual schools aren't the way to go unless they plan to start her at a lower level. The curriculum was very public school and it did teach my 4th grader to work on her own and also some study skills that she wasn't learning in PS. She's an advanced student and learned a lot through the program and found the studying aspect to be the challenging part. My DS in 1st learned a lot too and I found Little Lincoln to be less PS-ish. It was good for me to do it because it gave me the confidence that I can teach my children and even brought me to the point that I felt like I didn't need a virtual teacher's assistance.

There's also not a way to ease into these programs. They start and you MUST stay on pace. You can pace ahead if you have advanced students. We had to go over some stuff very quickly that I would have prefered to spend more time on. But there just aren't enough hours in the day to get off pace. K12 or even other school districts may handle it differently.

I would NOT suggest a program like this because it sounds like Grandma doesn't know about computers. You have to have at least some basic computer skills which is something we probably take for granted. My DD did much of her work using MS Word or Publisher. You have to be able to scan in assignments and submit them online. Really it's a lot of work for the learning coach if the children can't do it on their own which was the case for my 1st grader. (again, talking about Connections Acad. & LL, I didn't have experience with K12.)

Edited by jannylynn

I'd use Rod and Staff Grammar level 3--holds her hand, is cheap, and is thorough.

I'd go thru SOTW with her, getting the AG. Ancients is fun, and all she needs to do is one chapter a week. Easy.

I'd give her a Saxon placement test--if she knows her facts, she can probably do Saxon 5/4--it's so easy to implement because it's written to the student.

Do SWO--self explanatory.

I'd do Henry's The Elements as a beginning science course. If she's a cooking grandma, she'll love the analogy of the periodic table being like a kitchen cupboard, and the suppliles are really easy to find.

Have her read a lot--the AG has plenty of ideas, and she can just set her loose in the library--maybe give her an idea of books on the 1000 Good Books list, or just stick with classics.

Shouldn't cost more than $100 if she buys used.

It seems like you've gotten some great suggestions. It seems like she would need help ordering what ever she ends up choosing though. If grandma doesn't know how to use a computer, that could make things much more difficult. It's not enough to say here is what I would use, here are the places you could search it out used. I hope that someone could walk her through the whole of it, in the beginning. Can she use computers at the library to browse curriculum? If someone invested an afternoon to teach her how to search the internet, she could research so much easier.

In addition to what ever she chooses I would encourage using the library for all it's worth. In fact I would see if there is a library that is superior to the most local one for her. For example, I have a library 5 minutes away that is pretty good, but I've chosen to drive 15min to a private library in a wealthy area. It's made a major impact on our lives. There is so much more available, there are all sorts of free opportunities at a good library.

Here are some of the things I use from the library:

books on cd

classical music on cds (jazz, blues, and world as well)

language cds (ie Pimsleur)

educational dvds

poetry books.

I agree with a pp, history and science can be done from library resources, especially if grandma could learn how to print up free worksheets online.

I really hope they can get access to a computer, and learn the basics. There are so many free resources out there with minimal understanding of how to use a computer.

It's awfully kind of you to help her, I hope it turns into a wonderful experience for them. Homeschooling in a peaceful, gentle, loving place could be a second chance for happiness for this little girl. I hope it's the beginning of a better life for her.

Edited by helena

It seems like you've gotten some great suggestions. It seems like she would need help ordering what ever she ends up choosing though. If grandma doesn't know how to use a computer, that could make things much more difficult. It's not enough to say here is what I would use, here are the places you could search it out used. I hope that someone could walk her through the whole of it, in the beginning. Can she use computers at the library to browse curriculum? If someone invested an afternoon to teach her how to search the internet, she could research so much easier.

It's awfully kind of you to help her, I hope it turns into a wonderful experience for them. Homeschooling in a peaceful, gentle, loving place could be a second chance for happiness for this little girl. I hope it's the beginning of a better life for her.

:iagree:

That is not true in our state and perhaps in Texas as well. MY son is in second grade but is on course to start 4th grade math and and 3rd grade language arts this year. They generally only allow you to advance in language arts and math which is really the most important topics for advancement IMHO. I have heard of students who are advanced whole grades which I suspect is possible with testing.

OTOH, I also know of many families with special needs students who are behind academically and using lower grade levels with success in the K12 school here:) They also get extra academic support such as tutoring, extra support classes, etc. with IEP's.

As far as flexibility, I find the school here in PA very flexible. I am free to work 24/7 with my ds as long as I take the 1 minute to log his attendance on school days. In fact, my ds attends an all day, weekly home school co-op that is not part of the school with the school's blessings;) I also am free so to speak to substitute or add other materials as long as I meet the objectives. Frankly, though I do not want to substitute since the curriculum really is great. My ds does have 2 mandatory online sessions per month and 3 face to face sessions yearly. The teacher is pretty flexible in regards to scheduling these as well. My son has to hand in selected samples of his work every 2 months via email.

I recommend anyone who is considering a public cyber charter school to have a list of thorough questions to ask such as mandatory classes, assignments, flexibility, etc. Plus I recommend checking out the curriculum as well. If there is more than one choice of cyber schools then I would check them all out.

Isn't that interesting. The rep I spoke to made it sound as though, once ds was in a class he stayed in that class, without any chance to advance, except between years. IOW, he could test out of the next years class and skip a grade, but during the year he would be stuck.

Huh :confused: Who would have thought their own rep would have made them sound so different than their actuallity?

Huh :confused: Who would have thought their own rep would have made them sound so different than their actuallity?

Many state programs (or public schools) only use K12 as the curriculum which means that the state can set the guidelines. Our state did this with Connections Academy. Our teachers were from our state and we didn't use the instructors from CA.

If you are using K12 or Connections Academy privately then they would determine placement.

I would first check to see if she needs some phonics work.

You can find out for sure by taking a reading grade level test, the New Elizabethian Test and the Miller Word Identification Assessment (MWIA.) The MWIA is on Don Potter's Education Page. All of these links are here.

You can print out the test for her. If she needs it, then you can print out some information for her from this site and she can buy Webster's Speller or one of the other programs recommended.

Thank you ladies! She lives down the road so I can help her when she needs help. I really appreciate all the options, and advice. Until this thread I had no idea what k12 was exactly. I had heard of it, but never investigated it. I will sit down with her this week with the TWTM, and help her chose what she wants to use, and try not to overwhelm them. Hopefully the Book Samaritan will be able to help, and I have a few things she may be able to use. Thank you again for all your help. :grouphug:

If cost is an issue *and* she's working with a young lady who has been through some difficulties, I would go simple, simple, simple. The poor girl has been through enough, I wouldn't sit her down with loads of textbook work that might cause some extra problems.

I'm assuming she's been in public school, so hasn't had much direction in narration/copywork/dictation or any history other than American or "my community".

Queen's Language Lesson for the Very Young 2 or Elementary...that would be a very gentle intro to Language Arts with narration, dictation, copywork and grammar. She could move through it pretty quickly and gain some confidence in skills, plus it would be a great way to introduce her to some great literature and poetry.

I would have her take a placement test at Math Mammoth or CLE for Math. The worktext's are nice because the explanations are in the text, making it pretty easy to teach. I like Math Mammoth because it doesn't spiral quite has heavily, but if printing it out will be a problem, then CLE.

I would use the library for books on history, science etc. Child's History of the World would be a nice narrative. My library carries copies of the SOTW cd's, so that could be an option as well. In fact, my library has copies of Mystery of History as well.

With some effort on she and her grandmother's part, she'll catch up soon enough to her age/grade level, so starting out a bit more simply while she gets comfortable in her new home and environment would seem like the best way to start.

You are so kind to help the grandmother out with this journey! It sounds like it will be an adjustment for everyone!

Well my first thought was CLE too.

Don't forget the obvious making sure they go to the library and borrow lots of books :)

Yeah, I am thinking - just because she doesn't feel comfortable w/computers doesn't mean she is not intelligent. If she is open to learn, get her a WTM book and have her read it. Then she could do most subjects by using the library (if they have a good one). That's what I try to do. We do Saxon math, are planning on using SOTW, typical WTM stuff but other than that, I try just to go to the library as much as possible. I do look online and reserve books that I want but I think that could be taught pretty easily...good luck! My heart goes out to you and her!

Many state programs (or public schools) only use K12 as the curriculum which means that the state can set the guidelines. Our state did this with Connections Academy. Our teachers were from our state and we didn't use the instructors from CA.

If you are using K12 or Connections Academy privately then they would determine placement.

Oh, okay. I started to wonder if maybe she hadn't liked my voice, :lol:.

OP, I just found this site with free Christian curriculum. The books, most of them, can be found online free for download and print. I wasn't sure if you wanted anything religious, but I think you could just cut out the religious parts if she didn't want them. It looks pretty rigerous to me, and nearly everything is free.

I agree that it's not about the curricula you choose, it's how you teach.

I feel the first step would be to guide her to WTM and/or Home Learning Year by Year (Rebecca Rupp)--these may be available in the library just for reading/notetaking purposes, that's how I found them first. Both of these focus on how to teach and give you approximations of what the child "should" be able to do. Obviously, if the child is behind, you start her at her ability level--not her age/grade level.

Secondly, I would focus on the basics--just like you would with a younger child. Make sure she gets math and language arts daily.

And lastly, make sure she enjoys learning. Children really take off when they LIKE what they are doing. Sounds like she's been through enough and doesn't need to be pushed. Just go to the library and read TO her. Play silly games and talk with her.

We adopted our kids from fostercare in 2006. My oldest was nine and in 2nd grade. She'd been in 6 different schools.

One thing grandma should understand is not to go by the school grade level.

I had to go back and do beginning phonics and math with my nine year old. We did not even bother with grammar, spelling, history or science that first year. We read a lot, played games, explored, and focused on math and phonics.

She is now 12 and finishing up fifth grade work. She is still a grade level behind in grammar and I wonder if she will ever be able to spell. But she has improved so much from that day I brought her home.

Tell grandma not to rush right into school work. Take some time to just hang out with the girl and learn her intrests and learning style. I'm sure that's what saved me with my oldest. :)

:iagree:

We adopted our kids from fostercare in 2006. My oldest was nine and in 2nd grade. She'd been in 6 different schools.

One thing grandma should understand is not to go by the school grade level.

I had to go back and do beginning phonics and math with my nine year old. We did not even bother with grammar, spelling, history or science that first year. We read a lot, played games, explored, and focused on math and phonics.

She is now 12 and finishing up fifth grade work. She is still a grade level behind in grammar and I wonder if she will ever be able to spell. But she has improved so much from that day I brought her home.

Tell grandma not to rush right into school work. Take some time to just hang out with the girl and learn her intrests and learning style. I'm sure that's what saved me with my oldest. :)

There is a lady at our church who is just beginning to try to homeschool her granddaughter. The little girl is almost 10, but behind in everything and on a 3rd grade level. The mother has been on drugs, the girls tossed around (there is more than 1, but this one is the one I am trying to figure out for now), and neglected. Grandma is on a very limited income, and has very little cash to get started. She does not want to put her in school where she will most likely be labeled ADHD, and put in special classes, she knows she can learn, just needs the opportunity. Grandma is willing to help the child, but she will need curriculum to hold her hand as she has never undertaken such a task, and has no idea where to begin. She has no computer, or knowledge of how to use one.

Any ideas for an inexpensive, hand holding curriculum she can use? On one hand I would like to stay away from textbooks, but on the other hand what else could she use that fits these requirements? Help me to help her please.

I recommend the Virtual Academy, since the cost is free and they might even supply a computer & printer. They also supply a teacher to help out with trouble areas via the telephone or online lessons, or even in person if that's how your state works. My state allows our teacher to help us out tremendously, and I use her help whenever I need it, especially for writing assignments. My daughter went from being behind in a few areas, to soaring and excelling in all areas. In my state grandma can be the "learning coach" it doesn't have to be mother or father.

I agree that it's not about the curricula you choose, it's how you teach.

Just go to the library and read TO her. Play silly games and talk with her.

i was thinking.... maybe start with reading the little house books aloud at breakfast each morning. not only is it peaceful and lovely, but it does a great job of modelling some healthy family behavior. she wouldn't need to do any of the prairie primer stuff; it can be a bit overwhelming.

or, maybe FIAR? it would seem a little young, but it might fit well to help her get caught up and to enjoy a new way of doing school.

and singapore math is quite inexpensive. she would only need the teacher's guide, text book and work book.

and then lots and lots of library time.

and then after a few months if grandma is game, she could learn to use a computer and investigate public charters that provide free computer + free curriculum.... if she still wanted to....

her granddaughter is lucky to have her!

ann