Menu

Since we're having spin offs - STRAPLESS wedding dress/wedding party poll..

How do you feel about the trend for strapless brides and bridesmaids...  

1. 1. How do you feel about the trend for strapless brides and bridesmaids...

• I think it's fine. Whatever a bride wants a bride should get.
    • It's fine - on a very small percentage of the population. Otherwise - more coverage please.
    • Never strapless. Thankyouverymuch.
    • Other (like - sure strapless is great when grooms are strapless, too!).

I see lots of strapless dresses where:

A. The bride's booKs look like they're about to ooze out over the top of the gown, and that's more than I really want to see.

OR

B. The dress looks like it's heading south on it's own, and that's more than I really want to see.

I've seen very few that I thought were truly flattering. :001_huh:

Personally, I had a gown that was supposed to be an off the shoulder dress. But the store model that I tried on looked great ON the shoulder, so I didn't realize it until my dress came in. I tried it on and the fitter argued that it had to be off the shoulder, that that was how it was designed. I argued that I would not have ordered the dress if I had known that, and that someone 7 months before should have clarified if I was wearing the store model wrong.

Finally I asked to see the store model so that I could show her what I meant. The manager came in and agreed with me, and she fixed my dress so that it was up on the shoulder.

I would have been mortified to wear it any other way, and I am no prude.

I don't think it's a problem at a non-church wedding, necessarily.

The other isssue is the practical one. Although Amy's example is pretty drastic, there is also the issue of dancing (a very high priority of mine) and eating (also a priority!). Both are so much easier with a dress that is neither binding your upper arms nor likely to fall down. I would hate to throw a party and be worrying that much about my clothes misbehaving! I wanted to have a good time at my own wedding, and I did!

I am just amazed that people even have opinions about such things. I just couldnt care less! Let the bride wear what she likes. I don't even like weddings much and don't understand the big deal and the need for such a show. My own wedding was small, intimate, in our backyard, and bring a plate of food to share. I wore something, I think :)

:iagree: And, that was like my wedding, too. Except I recall quite clearly that I was wearing my birthday suit.

And, I looked FABULOUS thankyouverymuch!!!!!!!!

I had a long sleeved dress :) It was beautiful and I still look pretty in it :p

We ended up getting patterns for Ren. halloween costumes. The cut of those is much kinder to the curvy ladies in my family. I was bothered by the lack of variety in ready made dresses too. It DOES seem like, unless your thin, or happy showing off your body, a good dress is hard to find.

Mine was a long-sleeved dress too http://intocamelot.com.au/fairytale.html in white/silver.

Everyone seems to have the same dress and the same flowers. There's no individuality.

Strapless dresses really aren't my thing and I cringe when I see shots from the back with people wearing strapless dresses regardless of how slim or heavy they are. I really can't stand that bit of back flesh that seems to roll over the top of the dress. But when it comes down to it, if you like the dress then wear the dress - it's you r day to enjoy as you see fit :)

Mine was a long-sleeved dress too http://intocamelot.com.au/fairytale.html in white/silver.

Everyone seems to have the same dress and the same flowers. There's no individuality.

Strapless dresses really aren't my thing and I cringe when I see shots from the back with people wearing strapless dresses regardless of how slim or heavy they are. I really can't stand that bit of back flesh that seems to roll over the top of the dress. But when it comes down to it, if you like the dress then wear the dress - it's you r day to enjoy as you see fit :)

Those are beautiful! Mine was in cream and gold. Dd wore emerald green (making it fairly obvious that I did not need to wear white ;) ). My brides maids all wore deep wine/burgundy. I am the only one that has not worn the dress many times since :p My sister wears hers every year for Halloween and my two other bm both wore their to the Ren. Festival at least once. Mine was torn while dancing :( I lost the cuffs at some hotel on our honeymoon and is now being preserved in a box, lest I tear it up anymore :lol:

All brides and all babies are, by definition, beautiful.

:iagree:

All brides and all babies are, by definition, beautiful.

I'm firmly in the Anne of Green Gables "I love puffed sleeves" camp & while I know they're not fashionable now, I still think they looked good.

Come on - it's some of the 70's wedding photos that can be a bit cringeworthy (pls - nobody here who got married in the 70's take umbrage; I'm sure yours are lovely!). My uncle has a huge 'fro and all his attendants are in pale baby blue tuxes :lol: The girls - I was a bridesmaid - are in pale blue satin with this white feathery/fur trim thing which looks like cotton balls glued to us. I think even then we were having doubts about the look but ..... we're working it as well as we can.

Fishtail hems are not my thing but I see a lot of brides rocking those too these days...Many fashions look a bit silly to us a couple decades later but I have nothing against strapless dresses - just not on me. I look awful in strapless.....

This is a sweet post. :)

I think they look flattering on some women. It is not so much the booKs that are a problem, I've noticed, but the back of the dress or just behind the upper arms having spillage in a not so attractive way. Maybe that is a matter of getting the right fit, but it must be tricky.

I had an off-the-shoulder dress but it was not low-cut. At the time I was skinny and not busty at all. I would have looked terrible in strapless, though, it probably would have fallen down with nothing to hold it up, haha.

I have no idea if I'd look good in a strapless dress. I've never tried one on. Have you? How many of us have tried on strapless dresses? I wish I had a reason to try on dresses like that. I love to get dressed up, but never have a reason. (Poor me! :D) Do the rest of you get to try on and wear strapless dresses?

If I tried one on and looked good in it, I'd get it. If I tried it on and looked bad in it, I wouldn't.

I have no idea if I'd look good in a strapless dress. I've never tried one on. Have you? How many of us have tried on strapless dresses? I wish I had a reason to try on dresses like that. I love to get dressed up, but never have a reason. (Poor me! :D) Do the rest of you get to try on and wear strapless dresses?

If I tried one on and looked good in it, I'd get it. If I tried it on and looked bad in it, I wouldn't.

I have, I found it terribly uncomfortable, my b00ks wanted to flip the whole shebang down to my belly button and I kept worrying about wardrobe malfunctions.