Menu

What kind of dog do I want?

Okay, so I don't really want a dog, personally. We have 3 cats - both my dh and I are cat people. I like dogs just fine, but I've never owned one, and don't know much about the day-to-day. And I don't want ticks (I live in Lyme central). BUT... two of my three dd's love dogs (third is like dh and me - likes them, doesn't LOVE them). And my youngest (9yo) loves, loves, loves dogs. I think having a dog might be good for her. So I'm considering caving. I'm wondering if there's any kind of dog (or mix of breeds - I'd bet we'd be going to a shelter rather than a breeder) that would fit these critera:

1. Medium-sized. Bigger than my cats (they are big cats), small enough that it's tail doesn't wipe the coffee table clean. Pug too small, lab too big (though labs are some of my favorite dogs, too bad).

2. A real dog. Not yippy. Would like to chase a ball or frisbee.

3. Could handle being an indoor dog except for perhaps a small fenced front yard. So, no herders or sled-pullers or other running breeds.

4. Relaxed temperament - likes kids, can handle 3 cats, not nervous or excitable. Could handle being bossed around a bit by youngest dd.

5. Short hair. The 3 cats are generating quite enough fur to vacuum, don't need to add to it more than absolutely necessary.

If we did this, I'd think of getting an adult rather than a puppy. I know nothing about training dogs and puppies chew everything, from what I've heard.

Is this a fantasy dog? If so, which part of my bubble needs bursting? Is there anything I can put on a dog that would prevent its getting ticks (I've heard some of the stuff you give them prevents them biting, but that would mean they could jump off the dog and bite us instead :glare:). I'm thinking if we limited its outdoor time to the front yard (near the road, short grass), it might keep that problem to a minimum??

Springer spaniel?

Clumber spaniel? (very low activity level)

Field Spaniel?

My personal favorite medium sized dog--- the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. A big dog in a small package-- Smart, funny, good with kids, easily trainable. They are herders, but very manageable with exercise and family play time.

astrid

Corgis are medium sized dogs (adult males are generally around 22-28 lbs) but have very short legs, so they are sort of compact. Our pooch is great with everybody, our three cats included. He is quite active, but easily handled with daily walks, tug-of-war sessions, fetch with tennis ball, and general play time. Corgis do shed, although they are short hair dogs. Definitely NOT one of those purse-dogs, not a frail, delicate little thing, corgis are real dogs.

We love our corgi dearly. He is the smartest, most fun, most affectionate and cutest dog we have ever owned. I'm going to try and attach a picture.

Michelle T

post-413-13535083217945_thumb.jpg

post-413-13535083217945_thumb.jpg

Corgis are wonderful pets! And, they have no tails, so no worries about tail swipes. DD has a Corgi at her dad's house and he is a wonderful dog. I wish I'd gotten one, too. He's smart, peppy, obedient, loving, and a lot of fun.

I have a Cairn Terrier and size-wise, she's fine, but she does go for the cats every now and then. She does love to play, though; will bark at noises outside the house but does like to dig. So, she might not be the breed for your home.

OH he's adorable! The tri colors are so pretty; ours is a sable and white.

We "fell" into the Corgi in March; a re-home from a Chinese guy who was being deported. He came with name "Yoshi" and it fits him. I've always been a BIG DOG person; we're very, very involved in a pure breed that's over 120 lbs, so I was skeptical about this little guy. Well, let me tell you, he has STOLEN our hearts! He and the big dogs are inseparable, and he is SO much fun.

We will always be devotees of our big breed, but we will NEVER, EVER be without a Corgi companion.

astrid

Springer spaniel?

Clumber spaniel? (very low activity level)

Field Spaniel?

I was thinking no spaniels, as my friend had a Brittany Spaniel that was so high strung I couldn't even stand being around it, and I thought I'd always heard cocker spaniels were nervous types. I loved the dog she had before that that was a beagle/basset mix, but I think that something like that might be too potato-like for my dd. Are those other types more laid back??

My personal favorite medium sized dog--- the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. A big dog in a small package-- Smart, funny, good with kids, easily trainable. They are herders, but very manageable with exercise and family play time.

Yeah, a big dog in a small package - that's what I need. :tongue_smilie: I'll look into the Corgi. It could handle being an indoor dog 99% of the time?

Yeah, a big dog in a small package - that's what I need. :tongue_smilie: I'll look into the Corgi. It could handle being an indoor dog 99% of the time?

I think so. My dd's Corgi is inside all the time, but is let out in the mornings and evenings to run around the yard and do his business. EX's house has no fenced yard, and the dog (named Snickerdoodle, because he's the color of one) stays in his own yard.

I was thinking no spaniels, as my friend had a Brittany Spaniel that was so high strung I couldn't even stand being around it, and I thought I'd always heard cocker spaniels were nervous types. I loved the dog she had before that that was a beagle/basset mix, but I think that something like that might be too potato-like for my dd. Are those other types more laid back??

Well, it depends on the spaniel breed. Clumbers, Fields, American Waters, Irish Waters, not high strung and hyper, in my experience (which is pretty extensive-- we show dogs in breed, obedience, drafting and rally-o and I've got several private training clients) Brittanys and Cockers, I wouldn't give you five cents for. I do love Fields and Clumbers best.

But seriously, you can't go wrong with a Corgi. They're happy being inside the the family, and would NOT make a good outdoor dog. Big dog, small package, personality as big as the Grand Canyon. So much fun!

astrid

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Just want to warn you that short haired dogs shed too. I personally think short hair is harder to clean than long hair, because those pokey little hairs get trapped in fibers instead of sitting right on top where they can easily be brushed or vacuumed off.

You might like a Cavalier King Charles if the long hair isn't a deal breaker.

I thought I'd always heard cocker spaniels were nervous types.

It really depends on the individual cocker spaniel. I love cockers. We currently have 3 cockers and have had several others over the years. All of the ones we have had are very loving and not nervous dogs at all. I will say that cockers are not the smartest dogs, but what that lack in brains they make up for in personality. They are very loyal and loving. The really big negative for us which may cause us to look for a different breed next time is the shedding and grooming. I am so tired of the dog hair. Also many cockers pee when they are scared. Out of the three we currently have it is only an issue with one. We adopted her at two and she was not in a good home so she is just a little more timid with strangers because of her past.

Now one of our cockers is just different He is very easy going and also very smart and he doesn't shed near as much as the other two. His hair is just not as thick or long as most cockers. All of them are full blooded, but he is different.

Jan

I was going to suggest the dog which I find is most LIKE a cat & that is retired racing greyhounds.

These are the sweetest most mellowest guys & indoors, they lie around the couch napping. I have heard some dog people say they weren't dog-like enough, but cat people tend to like them a lot.

They need to be temperament tested - & if you're going through greyhound rescue they will be thoroughly tested. About a third cannot live with small animals, a third can be taught to live with small animals, and a third will cuddle right up & take a nap beside them. Their exercise requirements are lower than many people think - they're ok with walks & just need to stretch their legs full out a couple times a week for about 15 mins. And then they go back to being couch potatoes. It can be hard to teach them recall & find suitable fenced large areas to let them offleash safely. That's really the only big drawback .... but if they've been in foster for a while, that work has usually been started on & the rescue organizations working in a geographic area can advise adopters about good dog parks etc. Grey adopters often from clubs & get together for outings.

The other great (maybe the greatest, really) dog is the Heinz 57 aka shep/lab cross. (this is what shelters put down on the petfinder.com site because you can't enter mutt; and most often we really can't tell. And canine breed genetics are so crazy that it can look like something but really have very little of it inside..... they're just 'dog')

Poodles are great - one caveat is they are a puppy mill fave for many generations now & you do see some really sick (temperament & body) ones in shelters. But there's resilience in these dogs & there are some wonderful, wonderful poodles out there. A lot of fun dog in that package. I have a real fondness for poodles, esp standard size.

Corgis are herding dogs. They can herd not only sheep but cattle as well. They're a tough little dog. Like ALL herders, they were bred to use their mouth & SOME do nip. They're the Queen's favourite breed, she has a number of them at any one time & in one of the biographies about her she admits that she has been bitten by them more than once. I wouldn't discourage you from them but only say to pick carefully, pick one without much drive & pick one that's not the smartest (it is a huge mistake for most pet owners to pick a dog who is smart & intense.......) Unless you want to do agililty or herding ..... I know people who run corgis in these sports and they're go, go, go, go. The corgis I've met are a teeny bit barky. Good watch dogs because they're not afraid to use their voice but definitely I'd put them in the vocal camp. Not like a sheltie (some of them seem to never stop :glare:) but still vocal. I don't mind the pitch of their bark though....

I think in your circumstances, I'd go slowly, make some contacts with rescue groups and see if you can find a dog that's been in foster for a bit so that its personality is well known. Be prepared ahead of time to plan to attend at least one set of positive rewards training classes - to bond to each other & to learn to read each other. It's a good idea to ask around about trainers etc before you get the dog; you can even hire them to come with you when you go meet the dog & they can give you their opinion of it. If you're an inexperienced dog owner, this can be an excellent way of having an impartial opinion to help you assess how this dog will fit into your family.

When you do make contacts with rescues, you might find that they already have perfect dogs waiting. I know of several around here which are just ideal first time family dogs. They really are what I call 'plug and play' (as opposed to the "some tweaking required")models - all that's needed is just a quick set of classes for fun and bonding and to learn to communicate, and there's a lifetime of joy & companionship ahead.

best wishes ~

We have a Beagle mix who is awesome! I highly recommend a beagle/beagle mix. I also want to encourage you to get an adult dog, since you mentioned it. We adopted a 2 yr old Border Collie mix in the summer, and he is the best dog ever! He was already house trained when he came to us, and he is the most calm easy-going dog I have ever seen. I was very nervous about adopting an adult dog, but I am so glad we did it! Good luck!

Guest janainaz

[attach]1857[/attach]

We have Shih-Poo's (Shih-Tzu/Poodle mixes). The female is about 15-16 lbs. They make great indoor dogs, they don't shed, they are not yappy at all, they love kids, they love to play fetch, they don't jump and lick - it's a great indoor/kid-friendly breed. We bred our dogs recently and just let the last one go (the white one in the top picture).

I researched breeds of dogs extensively after having a Jack Russell. I like Golden Retreivers and larger dogs, too. It just was not right for us to have a big dog for our family. We go to CA a LOT from AZ and take our pets. Our dogs travel so well and are very well behaved dogs.

[attach]1858[/attach]

post-712-13535083218414_thumb.jpg

post-712-13535083218828_thumb.jpg

post-712-13535083218414_thumb.jpg

post-712-13535083218828_thumb.jpg

I agree with the Corgi suggestion. One of the two best dogs I ever had was a Corgi mix. What a loving, loyal, beautiful, trainable, easy-going fellow he was! The other is our current dog, a border collie/papillion mix, who sleeps much of the time but is active in spurts. She is quite small, totally an indoor dog, easily the most loving I've ever met, is also trainable and never barks unless someone or some thing (usually coyotes around here) comes to visit. On the flip side, she has long hair, which you said you didn't want. However, I have found that the long hair is less shedding than the short, and that's a plus for me.

Hope it works out for you!

Susan

Okay, so I don't really want a dog, personally. We have 3 cats - both my dh and I are cat people. I like dogs just fine, but I've never owned one, and don't know much about the day-to-day. And I don't want ticks (I live in Lyme central). BUT... two of my three dd's love dogs (third is like dh and me - likes them, doesn't LOVE them). And my youngest (9yo) loves, loves, loves dogs. I think having a dog might be good for her. So I'm considering caving. I'm wondering if there's any kind of dog (or mix of breeds - I'd bet we'd be going to a shelter rather than a breeder) that would fit these critera:

1. Medium-sized. Bigger than my cats (they are big cats), small enough that it's tail doesn't wipe the coffee table clean. Pug too small, lab too big (though labs are some of my favorite dogs, too bad).

2. A real dog. Not yippy. Would like to chase a ball or frisbee.

3. Could handle being an indoor dog except for perhaps a small fenced front yard. So, no herders or sled-pullers or other running breeds.

4. Relaxed temperament - likes kids, can handle 3 cats, not nervous or excitable. Could handle being bossed around a bit by youngest dd.

5. Short hair. The 3 cats are generating quite enough fur to vacuum, don't need to add to it more than absolutely necessary.

If we did this, I'd think of getting an adult rather than a puppy. I know nothing about training dogs and puppies chew everything, from what I've heard.

Is this a fantasy dog? If so, which part of my bubble needs bursting? Is there anything I can put on a dog that would prevent its getting ticks (I've heard some of the stuff you give them prevents them biting, but that would mean they could jump off the dog and bite us instead :glare:). I'm thinking if we limited its outdoor time to the front yard (near the road, short grass), it might keep that problem to a minimum??

We love, love, love our labradoodles. We got them when they were 9 wks old and they are now 13 month. They have been such fun, are great with the kids, haven't been bad about chewing on things but I have kept real bones available for them, did I mention that they are great with the kids, don't bark much unless you want to count Wishbone watching TV. LOL He then grawles, barks, the hair stands up on his back and he backs away and then sits down, cocking his head trying to figure it out. He also tries to find himself behind the sliding mirror door.

One we need to keep clipped(about ones every 4-5 months) the other not. The one that we done have to get clipped as much does shed some but nothing like many dogs, the one that we clip every 4-5 doesn't shed. Neither are lap dogs, well most days. LOL

They are easily trained.

Happy hunting.

She came from our local animal shelter--she was their 'poster dog' for several years--they could always count on a donation from us since Kira was on the letterhead!

She was just over one year old, calm and gentle. She did have some abuse in her background--but she only showed loyal dedication and LOTS of love to us--and she also LOVED our cats (treated them like puppies!).

You guys are great!

Corgis sound promising - I'm a bit worried about the energy level, but I am thinking about this largely because my youngest is a high-energy kid and I was thinking running and playing with a dog might tire her out - so the potato pet I'd prefer is out... :tongue_smilie:

I've never heard of a King Charles, so I guess I need to do some googling there! I really like Standard Poodles, but I think they're a bit large for the space we've got. Toy poodles are too small, and my brain puts them in the "small dog" category - there isn't a medium poodle, is there? :D Labradoodles sound great - but don't you have to get them from a breeder (ie $$$?) And aren't they lab-sized (to big for us)?

I have to admit to being partial to beagles - I think because my family very briefly had one when I was a kid. But briefly because the dog ran off (or got eaten by something, or hit by a car). My parents didn't want pets indoors, so it was out all the time. But I thought I'd read elsewhere that beagles didn't make good kid or indoor dogs? My pilates instructor came across a beagle at the shelter she volunteers at that she said was "unlike other beagles" and thought would make a great family dog. It was that comment that made me start thinking more seriously about this, but I think that particular dog has already been adopted. I've got her scoping the shelter for a dog she thinks might be good, but I really appreciate all the direction I'm getting here!

I'm going to throw out my pitch for going to the animal shelter instead of a breeder. Or going with a retired greyhound that was suggested. There are sooo many great dogs who need good homes. We have a border collie/greyhound mix (we think, she's a stray) and she is THE BEST dog I have ever owned. I think the ones that get saved from the shelters know they've been saved. Don't want to ruin the fun but just my personal thoughts. :001_smile:

I'm going to throw out my pitch for going to the animal shelter instead of a breeder. Or going with a retired greyhound that was suggested. There are sooo many great dogs who need good homes. We have a border collie/greyhound mix (we think, she's a stray) and she is THE BEST dog I have ever owned. I think the ones that get saved from the shelters know they've been saved. Don't want to ruin the fun but just my personal thoughts. :001_smile:

I'm totally thinking of going to a shelter, which is why I'm glad to hear of all the mixed breed ideas - I doubt I can order up a purebred of my choosing at a shelter! :tongue_smilie:

I have to admit to being partial to beagles - I think because my family very briefly had one when I was a kid. But briefly because the dog ran off (or got eaten by something, or hit by a car). My parents didn't want pets indoors, so it was out all the time. But I thought I'd read elsewhere that beagles didn't make good kid or indoor dogs? My pilates instructor came across a beagle at the shelter she volunteers at that she said was "unlike other beagles" and thought would make a great family dog. It was that comment that made me start thinking more seriously about this, but I think that particular dog has already been adopted. I've got her scoping the shelter for a dog she thinks might be good, but I really appreciate all the direction I'm getting here!

Our beagle mix is a great kid and indoor dog. She is mixed with boxer, so she looks just like a boxer, but in a beagle sized body. So incredibly cute!! She sleeps on the foot of my bed.

I agree about the shelter, or you can research rescue organizations. Both of our dogs came from no-kill rescue organizations. I know they sometimes get a bad rep, but I think most of them are amazing organizations!

Just want to warn you that short haired dogs shed too. I personally think short hair is harder to clean than long hair, because those pokey little hairs get trapped in fibers instead of sitting right on top where they can easily be brushed or vacuumed off.

:iagree:

Once apon a time, we had a German Shorthair pointer, and those hairs were WAY worse IMO to keep cleaned up, than little balls of fluff off my long haired dogs.

Of course, you can imagine what breed I suggest. (a good sheltie will not be annoying or yappy)

Best wishes!

Toy poodles are too small, and my brain puts them in the "small dog" category - there isn't a medium poodle, is there? :D Labradoodles sound great - but don't you have to get them from a breeder (ie $$$?) And aren't they lab-sized (to big for us)?

ALL breeds of dogs come up in rescue. Labradoodles got very popular a while back & there are many of them in rescue. They come in various sizes because they're not a breed - they don't breed true to size or coat type. Also poodles come in 3 sizes - S/M/L :D so when something is a labradoodle you don't know what size poodle genes went into its making.

I will echo Debbie in OR - shelter, shelter, shelter, rescue, rescue, rescue. Do not buy from a shop or a broker or a back yard breeder.

People used to say that small dogs were rare in shelters. Not so much once Paris Hilton and the like did their bit with the purse dogs. There are all sizes and types of dogs who need homes.

There are IMO no reputable labradoodle breeders. If you go for a real breeder, you need to find a real breed :001_smile:: a breeder who is a member of their breed club & has a strict code of ethics; who breeds with very specific goals; who only owns a few dogs and breeds a few select litters a year & raises them in the home with proper socialization (ie. not a kennel); who shows their dog in either conformation or performance, or ideally, both; who does hip & eye & genetic testing on their dogs; who probably has a wait list for their puppies; who stands by their dogs for their entire life. These breeders are not that common :)

About Beagles - we have an organization in Canada called Beagle Paws which is active on both coasts & rescues hunting beagles and places them in homes. They are wonderful dogs. You can read their little blurb about beagles as pets here: http://www.beaglepaws.com/petstoo.html

They will follow their nose & it can get them in trouble. Generally, they're not a dog that can be let offleash until a lot of training but they are eminently trainable and I know people who run beagles in agility.

I would highly recommend a whippet, they are a smaller version of a greyhound. We have had a beagle who drove us insane. We have just got a whippet at my husbands insistence (he previously had 4 whippets my only experience was with a border collie and the beagle) and i could not be happier! She is a quiet dog, she happily gets along with our 4 chooks and 1 cat. She likes to play but is gentle and spends most of her inside time sleeping. My DH says they are great for the 'lazy man' because they don't actually need much walking, they just like to rest. They love personal interaction so like to follow you about and have a pat/cuddle but don't yap and get hysterical like a poodle. They are an awesome companion dog. She isn't a scardey cat but a stern word will do the trick for discipline. HTH

Our Australian Labradoodle doesn't shed, and our allergic kids are not allergic to him. He is a medium sized dog (about 50 lb), loves to chase a ball or frisbee or run in the yard, but is very calm in the house. He is great with the kids. We can leave him on the run/tied to the doghouse if we are gone for a couple of hours on a nice day, or in his crate/our mudroom in bad weather. He was easily trained not to chew/eat things that don't belong to him, and is quite smart (can roll over/give paw/stand up, etc). He has the most beautiful, soft coat.

We got him from Jen at Grandview Australian Labradoodles. Can't say enough good things about her; She gives great customer support for any doggie issue at all.