Menu

S/O Flavor of the month - MCT.....

MariannNOVA

For me, 'flavor of the month' is a good way to describe me as far as curric -- or like the dog in UP:

'SQUIRREL!!!!!!:w00t:'

I would not have known anything about MCT if I hadn't read about it here - the introduction, presentation and exchange here of different curricula is invaluable to me....particularly if it is an area where the kids and I have not clicked with something. Because, as I've said in other posts, one of the positives to me about homeschooling (and I taught in the classroom for years - tied to whatever curric was used in a particular school) is the freedom to look for something that works for us. It is a HUGE part of homeschooling and I think it is at the heart of what drives us to make that decision: something isn't working so we look for what does.:)

I have purchased and attempted to use 3 different Language Arts/Grammar curricula since July - my twins (9 years old) have been disinterested in all of them -- because they were not challenged by them.

I stumbled upon MCT here and began reading about it approx 4-5 weeks ago. We began using it yesterday -- last night, as DS9 was going to sleep he asked me: 'Are we going to do more of those cool books tomorrow?' 'Which ones?' I asked. 'The ones with the cool pictures and we read about the different parts of speech and the book about architecture.' (that would be Grammar Island and Building Vocabulary). 'Yes,' I replied. 'Great!' he said. 'Those are the best books you have bought for us!'

Later, DH asked me what we had done different in school yesterday b/c the twins were talking to him about aqueducts, arches, keystones, and architecture. 'Wow,' I said. 'That would be the new Language Arts curric we started using.' What I didn't say was: 'I spent $430. on it :lol::lol::lol:.'

'Nuff said -- if it's the flavor of the month, then it has replaced 'Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough' and 'Mocha Java Chip' as my favorites! :D

Edited by MariannNOVA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with you about the exchange of ideas here, I think 430$ is an incredible amt to spend on any one facet of school, esp considering that you'd already bought 3 other programs.

Sometimes I think its best to use what you buy and not keep trying everything bc eventually your children will tire of anything. And then you hunt again for something to engage them. Its never ending. At some point I would think we'd say ENOUGH! Too bad. We have it and we will use it!

This is not a judgement on your choice to use MCT because by all means, whatever works for your children is the best choice! It just seems sometimes to me that some homeschoolers are always on the lookout for something new to try.

I am so happy for you!

That is the sort of reaction that EVERY book should have....

Now, even after only one day, you have experienced the "deeper thinking about language, as they start thinking about it outside of the lesson" reaction.

:D

My kids are not as excited about it, but that is because we started it first, not after trying different things. They have NO IDEA how special it is.

it is too early for me to write a coherent sentence. My coffee has not done it's job yet.:tongue_smilie:

While I agree with you about the exchange of ideas here, I think 430$ is an incredible amt to spend on any one facet of school, esp considering that you'd already bought 3 other programs.

Sometimes I think its best to use what you buy and not keep trying everything bc eventually your children will tire of anything. And then you hunt again for something to engage them. Its never ending. At some point I would think we'd say ENOUGH! Too bad. We have it and we will use it!

This is not a judgement on your choice to use MCT because by all means, whatever works for your children is the best choice! It just seems sometimes to me that some homeschoolers are always on the lookout for something new to try.

My bad: I failed to mention that I bought for three children and the TMs as well -- my bad...and in retrospect, I didn't need a book for each of us - but I'm not concerned -- we can sell them or keep them -- not a biggie.

And, I agree, some folks are always on the lookout for something new to try -- I'm in the group that is on the lookout if something I am using isn't working for me -- for instance, I tend not to read anything about Math Programs or History Programs b/c we are clicking along fine with those. But, I do agree with you and your point is well made. When I first started teaching and then homeschooling, I was like a kid in a candy store with curric and materials.:D

I am so happy for you!

That is the sort of reaction that EVERY book should have....

Now, even after only one day, you have experienced the "deeper thinking about language, as they start thinking about it outside of the lesson" reaction.

:D

My kids are not as excited about it, but that is because we started it first, not after trying different things. They have NO IDEA how special it is.

it is too early for me to write a coherent sentence. My coffee has not done it's job yet.:tongue_smilie:

Same here, but clearly that didn't stop me!:lol::lol::lol:

I remember being shocked at that cost.... but before you judge her, she has 3 kids and bought TMs & student books, which was her choice. RFWP says that if you need to be frugal, only buy the TMs (except for the practice book) you also don't need to buy them all at once. She knew this and CHOSE to get the whole shebang because of what she knows about her own comfort level and teaching/children's style. It can be a lot cheaper, and the resale value is good so it is not as frightening an investment as it seems.

Here is a woman who read several weeks worth of babbling about MCTLA, did research ask questions and then plunked down a decent amount of $$, and is HAPPY about it after one day!!! I think that the fact that she has bought 3 different LA programs says something different to both of us. I see it as knowing that something is not working, and trying to find something better, instead of "sticking with it because I bought it". Striving for something better. In Brick & Mortar school you are stick with whatever curriculum the teacher or school district decides. When you HS, one of the joys is being able to dump something if it isn't working. You seem to see it as being wishy-washy.

Sometimes, one of the reasons it seems that HSers are "always on the lookout for things to try" is because we can. You don't always pick the right thing the first time. There is a learning curve, with HSing in general, with each and every one of your kids, your teaching style and you hear about new things, new things might be written, you discover that overnight... your kid has morphed somehow, and what worked in the past, no longer is working. It is an organic journey that is constantly changing as your kids grow. I have been attached to Singapore math since I started, but if I hadn't found when I started, I might have switched programs a few times.

ahhh! I still can't quite form a coherent thought!

Great that you found something to challenge and interest your kids!

We spent a whole year on a writing program that my kids liked...but I was not impressed with it, yet just kept plugging away with it because it was what I had bought. What a waste.

I'm glad to se your $400+ was for multiple books! I just ordered some extra MCT books so my twins could have their own too. I think as the level gets higher, the font gets smaller. :001_smile:

I remember being shocked at that cost.... but before you judge her, she has 3 kids and bought TMs & student books, which was her choice. RFWP says that if you need to be frugal, only buy the TMs (except for the practice book) you also don't need to buy them all at once. She knew this and CHOSE to get the whole shebang because of what she knows about her own comfort level and teaching/children's style. It can be a lot cheaper, and the resale value is good so it is not as frightening an investment as it seems.

Here is a woman who read several weeks worth of babbling about MCTLA, did research ask questions and then plunked down a decent amount of $$, and is HAPPY about it after one day!!! I think that the fact that she has bought 3 different LA programs says something different to both of us. I see it as knowing that something is not working, and trying to find something better, instead of "sticking with it because I bought it". Striving for something better. In Brick & Mortar school you are stick with whatever curriculum the teacher or school district decides. When you HS, one of the joys is being able to dump something if it isn't working. You seem to see it as being wishy-washy.

Sometimes, one of the reasons it seems that HSers are "always on the lookout for things to try" is because we can. You don't always pick the right thing the first time. There is a learning curve, with HSing in general, with each and every one of your kids, your teaching style and you hear about new things, new things might be written, you discover that overnight... your kid has morphed somehow, and what worked in the past, no longer is working. It is an organic journey that is constantly changing as your kids grow. I have been attached to Singapore math since I started, but if I hadn't found when I started, I might have switched programs a few times.

ahhh! I still can't quite form a coherent thought!

Yup - that's what I meant. FTR, I have taught on and off in the classroom for 25 years! yes, I am considerably older than most of the women on this board - in fact, my two oldest are 30 years old and 29 years old. I became involved in teaching b/c when they were in elementary school (a small private school) I was unhappy with materials that were being used (it starts at such a young age! :lol:) and I approached the school principal with the idea that perhaps different curricula could be considered.

And, I am struggling here on one cup of coffee as well - I guess what I meant to say is that 'flavor of the month' isn't necessarily a bad thing -- I think it is a good way to describe the level of interest in different methods, materials, etc that we see here. THAT was how I became aware of LCC -- and as I did with MCT, I will usually take weeks to read, research, and consider something. And, again, it is one of the many benefits of homeschooling - I can tweak until I think I have something just right -- which has not been my experience regarding my own children in a typical school setting. :001_smile:

It has been interesting to watch MCT reach its own "tipping point" here on these boards. Malcolm Gladwell describes this in his book called The Tipping Point. When enough people are using something new then at some point the use seems to explode.

I would say that the "flavor of the month" phenomenon occurs when a resource has a tipping point and then everyone who is going to switch does. Then the talk dies down, not so much because all of those people have ditched the resource, but because the majority of the converts have been converted and are no longer talking about it so much.

BTW, the only other time I have been as impressed with a resource as I am with the MCT materials is when I found Singapore math.

Great that you found something to challenge and interest your kids!

We spent a whole year on a writing program that my kids liked...but I was not impressed with it, yet just kept plugging away with it because it was what I had bought. What a waste.

I'm glad to se your $400+ was for multiple books! I just ordered some extra MCT books so my twins could have their own too. I think as the level gets higher, the font gets smaller. :001_smile:

And the answer to 'What have we learned today, Squidward?': I could have spent alot less than I did, I am phobic, though, about not having a book for each child and having twins just naturally increases the cost if one has my mindset. I also did not realize (didn't pay attention) that I didn't need everything at once - but again, I prefer to have everything in my hot little hands and I was able to do that.

:lol: as far as the font -- yeah, and the number of words per page! :lol: And, yes, no one should think that everyone has to spend that amount of money -- I was purchasing for two third graders and a fifth grader -- it can be done much more economically than my way.:001_smile:

It has been interesting to watch MCT reach its own "tipping point" here on these boards. Malcolm Gladwell describes this in his book called The Tipping Point. When enough people are using something new then at some point the use seems to explode.

I would say that the "flavor of the month" phenomenon occurs when a resource has a tipping point and then everyone who is going to switch does. Then the talk dies down, not so much because all of those people have ditched the resource, but because the majority of the converts have been converted and are no longer talking about it so much.

BTW, the only other time I have been as impressed with a resource as I am with the MCT materials is when I found Singapore math.

DH and I were talking about Gladwell's book last night! And, another book, as well, but the name escapes me :001_huh:...but a favorite....a book small in size, about Albert Einstein, I think. This is going to drive me crazy till I remember it.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I like when quality homeschool materials become the "flavor of the month" because we can learn much about a variety of materials that we may not have been aware of and can do research on those products if we are not completely satisfied with what we're using.

I would like to try MCT curricula but given the $$ and the fact that I only have one more year after this one to homeschool, it doesn't make sense right now for me to switch or buy MCT materials. But still I enjoy reading about MCT. :D

I remember being shocked at that cost.... but before you judge her, she has 3 kids and bought TMs & student books, which was her choice.
Plus, plenty of us spend that much on history and literature or science. (not me, but I see plenty of it, and just wait until we get to the higher levels of WP :tongue_smilie:)

What could be more important than Language Arts?

I would not have known anything about MCT if I hadn't read about it here -

I stumbled upon MCT here and began reading about it approx 4-5 weeks ago. We began using it yesterday

I don't mean to pick on *you* particularly, but this is my problem with these curricula fads ... people post about how amazing/wonderful/life changing they are after using them for one day. Or one week. Or 3 weeks.

And, they convince others to spend $$ based on their recommendation.

And, three months later, they've bailed on the program and are now promoting some new life changing curriculum.

I wish people would restrain from promoting any particular curriculum until they've actually finished an entire year of the program.

I don't mean to pick on *you* particularly, but this is my problem with these curricula fads ... people post about how amazing/wonderful/life changing they are after using them for one day. Or one week. Or 3 weeks.

And, three months later, they've bailed on the program and are now promoting some new life changing curriculum.

I wish people would restrain from promoting any particular curriculum until they've actually finished an entire year of the program.

No offense to the original poster, but I have seen this happen in my many years of homeschooling. In fact, I am probably guilty of promoting too early as well. I'll buy a new curricula...kids LOVE IT!! Use it a few months...kids HATE IT. So, one day of joy is not enough to sway me anymore. ;) Talk to me after your kids are still loving it and excited about it for a good solid year and, if I am in the market, you'll have my undivided attention.

Now having said that, I do very much enjoy hearing about curriculum. New and old "flavors." Except for writing, I am currently happy with my current curriculum, but one never knows what lurks in my curriculum future. Bwaaahahahahaaa. :D;)

The program is terribly overpriced. While the books are interesting and some kids enjoy it, paying $430 for language arts curricula seems unconscionable to me unless one has too much money and is looking for ways to throw it away. I'm very happy it worked for the OP -- I wonder how her dh would react if he found out what she spent!

I've heard good things about the program, but I wouldn't even consider it for that kind of money.

The program is terribly overpriced. While the books are interesting and some kids enjoy it, paying $430 for language arts curricula seems unconscionable to me unless one has too much money and is looking for ways to throw it away. I'm very happy it worked for the OP -- I wonder how her dh would react if he found out what she spent!

I've heard good things about the program, but I wouldn't even consider it for that kind of money.

Ummmmm, that was a joke -- of course he knows how much I spent.

I'm aware that you did not say that I was trying to convince others to spend $$$ based on my recommendation -- but I want to clarify here and say that it was not my intention to 'recommend' or 'promote' anything to anyone -- in fact, I will go back and read my OP as I am careful not to be so presumptive as to make blanket recommendations, promotions and/or 'convince' others to spend money.

I have totally appreciated the information that others have provided in the past few weeks about MCT -- no one convinced me to buy anything or spend anything.

And in as much as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and one's opinion may be that I spent TOO much - it's me who is spending my own money...and, yes, I've already written that I purchased Teacher's Manuals which I now see are not necessary, but they certainly drove up the price.

I hear what you're saying Toni, Heather, Melissa, but I would offer this perspective: I don't have boxes of curriculum we are not using, except things that are "in waiting" for the next kiddo to reach that stage. I buy things that I like, and most importantly, I can use. For instance, when I was first considering hsing, a now good friend showed me her RS Math materials, because she was so totally sold on them. Now, I fully recognize and appreciate that for many people, RS is an excellent program--however, I would rather beat my self to death by banging my head on a brick wall than try to teach with that many manipulables.

For me, what's most important is that I can teach the curriculum that I buy--I have to tweak it for different DC, of course, but fundamentally, I am buying for myself as the teacher. MCTLA is a curriculum I will be able to teach, because it speaks my language (pun intended!); it values in writing what I value, and provides a framework to teach those things.

I have been using the same LA for my oldest children for the last 4 years. It's OK, it's better than other things I have looked at, it's an approach that I thought was appropriate for us at that time. However, as I posted elsewhere, I want to teach my DC how to write an analytical essay, which I don't see any other program's purporting to teach. MCT is spendy, I concede, but I think that it's worth it to provide my children that academic gift which I value above all others: excellent and accurate self-expression.

No offense to the original poster, but I have seen this happen in my many years of homeschooling. In fact, I am probably guilty of promoting too early as well. I'll buy a new curricula...kids LOVE IT!! Use it a few months...kids HATE IT. So, one day of joy is not enough to sway me anymore. ;) Talk to me after your kids are still loving it and excited about it for a good solid year and, if I am in the market, you'll have my undivided attention.

Now having said that, I do very much enjoy hearing about curriculum. New and old "flavors." Except for writing, I am currently happy with my current curriculum, but one never knows what lurks in my curriculum future. Bwaaahahahahaaa. :D;)

My intent was not to 'promote' or 'sway' and re-reading my post, I do not see that I was doing either of those things. I did think I was 'telling others about' (please see purple) curriculum.

And, if one wishes to read about experiences of another only after the materials have been used for a specific period of time, then one should have moved past my post as I do think I indicated that we had only used it for one day.;)

Another poster said that she spent $120 on two children, in addition, you can resell for about 80% of what you paid.

Mariann- I am so happy for you! It is an indescribable feeling to find something that clicks so perfectly with you as a teacher. I have felt like that about a few choices, and I know how amazing it feels.

(WARNING: Emotional musings ahead!)

Sure, I am totally jealous of anyone who can drop some $$ on any program as we are having tough times here. Sure, I have that fear monster that turns someone else's success stories into internal criticisms of my own attempts to school my children (so the monster says).

Though it is challenging sometimes to hear about new things, regardless of if I jump on the train or not, I ultimately learn so much about who I am as a teacher, who I am teaching, and how much better I can be. Thanks so much for pushing me!

Because of all the MCT research, I am adding it for some of my dc. One reason is because I am not sure I can do the exact same R&S book for the third time in as many years. Another reason is because I need something to help my aspie "get" the big picture. He can ace R&S but only because he is brilliant at seeing patterns, not because he knows the "why" (this is becoming a problem in MUS too, BTW). Switching is not a black mark on me as a teacher, as it seems some are implying. Rather it shows that I am willing to replace what is not working for what might. Always reaching for better, even though it is totally uncomfortable for me at times. Nothing wrong with that!

(OK, vulnerable hour over!! Back to coffee and Handwriting! )

My children would miss an entire year of something potentially good for them just because exuberence was being squished.

As far as others " convincing me to buy something"... well, I'm a big girl and buy what I want to buy.

We shop for clothes at the thrift store and don't eat out much, but I buy all the materials I think I need to give my kids the best education I can. For ME,,, not for everyone, for ME, I like the confidence that comes from researching and trying whatever I think will work for us. Not everyone needs new materials. I think life might be more simple if I had less curriculum.

What I think IS important is that we support one another's choices. Homeschooling is hard enough without getting judgemental with one another. We could leave snarkiness to folks who ask us about socialization.

Peace.

~christine in AL

Mariann- I am so happy for you! It is an indescribable feeling to find something that clicks so perfectly with you as a teacher. I have felt like that about a few choices, and I know how amazing it feels.

Sure, I am totally jealous of anyone who can drop some $$ on any program as we are having tough times here. Sure, I have that fear monster that turns someone else's success stories into internal criticisms of my own attempts to school my children (so the monster says).

Though it is challenging sometimes to hear about new things, regardless of if I jump on the train or not, I ultimately learn so much about who I am as a teacher, who I am teaching, and how much better I can be. Thanks so much for pushing me!

Because of all the MCT research, I am adding it for some of my dc. One reason is because I am not sure I can do the exact same R&S book for the third time in as many years. Another reason is because I need something to help my aspie "get" the big picture. He can ace R&S but only because he is brilliant at seeing patterns, not because he knows the "why" (this is becoming a problem in MUS too, BTW). Switching is not a black mark on me as a teacher, as it seems some are implying. Rather it shows that I am willing to replace what is not working for what might. Always reaching for better, even though it is totally uncomfortable for me at times. Nothing wrong with that!

:iagree: I am also interested to see how my aspie will do with it as well.

My response to this is that people do not convince others to do something. Every person must make the decision as to whether or not to allow someone to convince them.

It's hard to explain but it's one of my pet peeves about society in general. We like to put blame/responsibility on others and not on ourselves.

I can't convice someone to do something unless that person allows himself to be convinced. Does this make sense?

So if someone jumps on the new-flavor-of-the-month bandwagon and then finds out it was a waste of time and money, whose fault is it? Not the person who raved about the curriculum. We all make our own decisions and we are responsible for those decisions.

People can rave away on anything they like. If I'm intrigued I'll check it out, and if I'm not I'll pass. I'm sure most people here think before jumping. :D

I do wonder why there is a slight tone of snootiness? I see "tsk tsk" head shakes at the price someone has spent on a program.

I see the attitude of "Well, *I* don't get sucked into the newest fad."

Why? Who cares what someone else spends? It may not be what you would spend, but there's no reason for some of the comments. Who cares if some people are talking about a "new" resource? If you're happy then you're happy. If you're not then you'll look around for something else. Everyone has their style, budget, and personalities. If it's not your cup of tea there's no reason to look down your nose at others.

The title for this forum says, "And remember that no single program can possibly meet the needs of every home schooler; let's benefit from the variety available."

(BLUE) -- Thanks! And, yes, :iagree:.

(Green): WHEW! Good -- those are the toughest 60 minutes of the day -- those vulnerable ones! :D

As far as others " convincing me to buy something"... well, I'm a big girl and buy what I want to buy.

Peace.

~christine in AL

My response to this is that people do not convince others to do something. Every person must make the decision as to whether or not to allow someone to convince them.

It's hard to explain but it's one of my pet peeves about society in general. We like to put blame/responsibility on others and not on ourselves.

I can't convice someone to do something unless that person allows himself to be convinced. Does this make sense?

So if someone jumps on the new-flavor-of-the-month bandwagon and then finds out it was a waste of time and money, whose fault is it? Not the person who raved about the curriculum. We all make our own decisions and we are responsible for those decisions.

People can rave away on anything they like. If I'm intrigued I'll check it out, and if I'm not I'll pass. I'm sure most people here think before jumping. :D

I do wonder why there is a slight tone of snootiness? I see "tsk tsk" head shakes at the price someone has spent on a program.

I see the attitude of "Well, *I* don't get sucked into the newest fad."

Why? Who cares what someone else spends? It may not be what you would spend, but there's no reason for some of the comments. Who cares if some people are talking about a "new" resource? If you're happy then you're happy. If you're not then you'll look around for something else. Everyone has their style, budget, and personalities. If it's not your cup of tea there's no reason to look down your nose at others.

The title for this forum says, "And remember that no single program can possibly meet the needs of every home schooler; let's benefit from the variety available."

Thank you, both! And, trust me, no one has to 'convince' me to spend anything, and I couldn't care less about convincing anyone to spend their money -- I would be the worst person in SALES --:lol::lol::lol:.

Lovely post. :grouphug:

My intent was not to 'promote' or 'sway' and re-reading my post, I do not see that I was doing either of those things. I did think I was 'telling others about' (please see purple) curriculum.

And, if one wishes to read about experiences of another only after the materials have been used for a specific period of time, then one should have moved past my post as I do think I indicated that we had only used it for one day.;)

Hmmmm.... Well, I wasn't really even talking about you and your post MariannNOVA. I was commenting on how we all tend to fall in love with something, want to share that love and excitement with others (of which I am quite guilty), and then [sometimes] later find out that it wasn't so wonderful as we originally thought it would be. I was being very tongue in cheek. I suppose I didn't come across that way did I? :lol:

Apparently I offended when I specifically said no offense intended. Sorry. :blush:

[ eta: As for the money you spent (not that you mentioned it, but I feel the need to clarify). I didn't say a word about that!!! I am far to guilty in that respect. If I like a curriculum and think it's going to be best for my ds...I buy it, even if I have to sell a bunch of stuff to afford it. And, unlike you, there have been times I did NOT tell my dh what it cost. shhhhh...LOL]

Edited by Melissa in CA

Hmmmm.... Well, I wasn't really even talking about you and your post MariannNOVA. I was commenting on how we all tend to fall in love with something, want to share that love and excitement with others (of which I am quite guilty), and then later find out that it wasn't so wonderful as we originally thought it would be. I was being very tongue in cheek. I suppose I didn't come across that way did I? :lol:

Apparently I offended when I specifically said no offense intended. Sorry. :blush:

We ARE talking about curric here, aren't we? (see red) :lol::lol:

Use MORE smilies, Melissa! :D Is there a tongue in cheek smiley? :D And, if you did use smilies, and I missed it/them, my apologies! :) truly!

Thanks for writing this -- have a great day!:)

I was commenting on how we all tend to fall in love with something, want to share that love and excitement with others (of which I am quite guilty), and then [sometimes] later find out that it wasn't so wonderful as we originally thought it would be.
Guilty as charged! I cannot seem to make science programs work if there are multiple books to juggle, as much as I love them for the first few days. :D

Same here except I did not find Singapore math that impressive while we were using it. I thought it was a solid program and the best I could find, but that was it. I am only impressed by Singapore now after seeing how well it prepared ds for a rigorous pre-algebra program.

With MCT, I was impressed right away. We used it last year, are using it this year, and next year's material was already ordered. It's a keeper in this house.

I personally wish MCT would have more (better?) samples online. I just really cannot understand how it all fits together, and whether I would LIKE how it all fits together, without seeing more, more, more.

I was somewhat impressed by the Grammar Voyage sample, but not seeing MORE of it, and it's components...I am assuming there is a workbook of some kind?...I have a very hard time plunking down my dh's hard-earned money on it.

New flavors are great, but I personally need a REALLY GOOD taste of it before I can buy a whole carton, KWIM? ;)

See, this I don't understand. Maybe it's a new homeschooler phenomenon to change and change, but I've done this for quite some time now and have never felt I was on a curriculum merry-go-round.

And, they convince others to spend $$ based on their recommendation

Unless they have a monetary stake in the company, *why* would anyone do that? Perhaps it's just the feeling others get when they hear someone speaking highly of a hitherto unknown curriculum? I certainly don't care what others use - I assume they are on the lookout for the best for their kids and their own teaching style. Why would I care about the money others spend? There's too little time in the day for that. But "convincing others to spend money" is an accusation that is a little over the top, IMO.

If someone is convinced to spend money and then finds she doesn't do well with a curriculum, and she discovers that this is a common practice in her life - I would suggest she re-evaluate her priorities and get a handle on her homeschool philosophy and methodology - and *then* look for curriculum to match. I would also suggest that the type of person who would blame another for causing her to spend money on curriculum that doesn't work should stay away from used car salesmen ;).

If we wanted to go further with this type of thinking we could say that only "veteran" homeschoolers should give advice. Maybe we should only allow those who have graduated students who have gone on to successfully complete college, or get good jobs, etc. etc. to make recommendations. From all the talk about MCT that I have read, I think every poster has been upfront about the time she has spent in the program. And I have even added that the "jury is still out" as to how successful it will be but that I am pleased at this time.

Anything that dampens the free exchange of ideas is, IMO, damaging to the movement (homeschooling, that is).