Menu

What were your boys favorite picture books?

rafiki

Guest Dulcimeramy

Four boys live here :) These are some books that they have all loved:

The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury

Mike Mulligan

Katy and the Big Snow

The Little House

One Morning in Maine

Make Way for Ducklings

Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature

My Father's Dragon

The Apple and the Arrow (about William Tell)

Narnia series (my boys were ages 4 to 10 when DH read the series aloud)

Oh yeah: Richard Scarry! And that curious little monkey, too.

Ds(3) loves Franklin, but ds(10) prefered the Berenstain Bears, I think.

Dr. Seuss!

We read most of the Sonlight PreK books... the Golden Book Treasury was a hit. We were lucky enough to have most of those books as single titles (more illustrations). So, if you can get them that way, I'd recommend them, too.

We had/have lots of favorite picture books. Where the Wild Things Are and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs have been family favorites for a long time we were so happy about the movies!

My son loved all Pigeon books at that age by Moe Williams. Also by Moe is Leonardo the Terrible Monster.

Tumble Tower

Night Lion

Jolly Pocket Postman

Dinner at Panda Palace

Tracks in the Snow

My boys loved George and Martha book by James Marshall. Another great favorite were books by Trinka Hakes Noble (Jimmy's Boa and I think she also wrote Meanwhile Back at the Ranch but I could be mistaken. That book though is hysterically funny and we still quote from it often!). Also any books by Steven Kellog. My boys also enjoyed books by Tomie de Paola and William Steig. One very favorite book that I have never seen mentioned anywhere is entitled Do Pirates Take Baths? by Kathy Tucker. This is a collection of funny poems that my boys memorized all by themselves, they enjoyed the book so! My boys also enjoyed the Usborne book of folktales from around the world. That isn't the title but that is the just of it. It had a red cover with an illustration of the world on it. They wanted that read to them over and over again. We also have a book of a collection of Norse stories about trolls which they enjoyed as well. It had the 3 billy goats gruff as well as other less familiar stories.

I have a wiggly willy, almost 6 y/o, Curious George is the only thing that has held his attention. He is ALL boy, loving sports, mess, and motion. Any suggestions?

Mine liked the original Thomas the Tank engine stories.

Lego books

Magic School Bus

Busytown

Berenstain Bears

They loved Fireman Small, but I think they were younger then.

Four boys live here :) These are some books that they have all loved:

The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury

Mike Mulligan

Katy and the Big Snow

The Little House

One Morning in Maine

Make Way for Ducklings

Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature

My Father's Dragon

The Apple and the Arrow (about William Tell)

Narnia series (my boys were ages 4 to 10 when DH read the series aloud)

Ours loved these too.....and beleive it or not.....they LOVED Little House on the Prairie. (First 3 books)

A lot of the books already mentioned were hits here, too. My ds is wiggly 99% of the time, but not really at storytime. He will listen to large chunks of longer books -- he especially liked Farmer Boy, George's Secret Key to the Universe, and anything Oz. He also loves nonfiction books about space and machines (and my dd was the same way about those at age 4). He is a surprisingly big Madeline fan, and loves poetry (anything by Milne).

Rikki-tikki-tavi, illustrated by Jerry Pinkney

Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit illustrated by Don Daily

D'Aulaire's Leif the Lucky

Water Hole by Graeme Base

some Jan Brett books: Gingerbread Baby, Trouble with Trolls, The Wild Christmas Reindeer. Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve? There's always something more to see in the pictures, so these are fun to read and reread.

Books illustrated by Paul Galdone

Harper Collins' Treasury of Picture Book Classics (Pete's a Pizza, Caps for Sale, Crictor, Give a Mouse a Cookie....) This is a great collection because it prints the full page of each book, it doesn't leave any pictures out or try to reduce the page sizes to fit more than one page of the picture book on the page. These might be too young for a 6 year old, though.

Not picture books, but favorite story books when my boys were 5-7:

- Uncle Wiggily stories

- Adventures of Reddy Fox, Adventures of Johnny Chuck, etc. by Thornton Burgess

Edited by yvonne

From our 2 boys, more votes for:

- Richard Scarry / Busytown

- Dr. Seuss

- Magic School Bus

More big hit picture books:

- The Golden Book of 365 Stories (Jackson & Scarry)

- Antarctica Antics (Sierra)

- Animalia; The Eleventh Hour; and others by Graham Base

- Funny Bones; Creature Features (Ganeri)

- The Frog Prince Returns; The True Story of the Three Little Pigs; and others by Jon Scieszka

- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig (Trivizas)

- Mighty Machines series by DK Publishing (Truck, by Claire Llewellyn a HUGE hit!)

- search and find books: Usborne Great Search series; Where's Waldo series; Eye Spy series; Look & Find series illustrated by Jerry Tiritilli; search & find books illustrated by Tony Tallarico

And since "tis the season", several Christmas picture books that were big hits here:

- Letters From Father Christmas (Tolkien)

- Christmas Every Day (Howells)

- The Christmas Knight (Curry)

- The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer)

- The Tall Book of Christmas (Smith)

In making the jump to chapter books, I would read to them while they played in the bathtub with water toys, or they would do Legos, or play with "fidget toys" (koosh ball; magnets; pipe cleaners; clay; etc.). Chapter books that held their interest when we first transitioned to chapter books:

- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series (MacDonald)

- Henry Huggins series (McCleary)

- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Dahl)

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharpe)

- Billy and Blaze series (Anderson)

- The Sword in the Tree; Riding the Pony Express (Bulla)

Enjoy your family reading times! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Ours loved these too.....and beleive it or not.....they LOVED Little House on the Prairie. (First 3 books)

Mine weren't that enthusiastic about Little House so I resorted to reading excerpts. They loved the chapters about Almanzo feeding candy to the pig and getting sick on watermelon.

I would also pull chapters out of books they otherwise wouldn't sit through. For instance at that age they wouldn't go for all of Homer Price but liked the donut chapter.

One of my sons was a big time series reader. Whatever series he was on that's all he wanted to read. Then that phase would pass and he'd be onto something else. That pattern held for recreational reading from late preschool until he hit middle school.

I have a wiggly willy, almost 6 y/o, Curious George is the only thing that has held his attention. He is ALL boy, loving sports, mess, and motion. Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Lobsterman-Dahlov-Ipcar/dp/0892720328/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259470080&sr=1-9

The Funny Thing

Henry and Mudge

Mr. Putter and Tabby

Heckety Peg which is at: http://www.amazon.com/Heckedy-Peg-Voyager-Hbj-Book/dp/0152336796 Just look at the movement on the cover.