Menu

We've covered turkey, rolls, sweet potatoes...how about cranberries???

Sputterduck, I have to agree-- I make a cranberry conserve, but I"ve always got to have the canned stuff too. I ADORE it! I think it's a childhood thing....it's just not Thanksgiving without that ridged cylinder jiggling on the table! :001_smile:

astrid (not the classic "smiley," which also reminds me of my '70's childhood!)

1 c unsweetened 100% cranberry juice

2 c sugar

1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries

1/2 c orange-flavored craisins

3 T fruit-sweetened orange marmalade

2 T orange juice concentrate

2 tsp minced orange peel

Combine cranberry juice & sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until dissolved. Add cranberries & craisins. Cook approx 7 min until cranberries pop. Remove from heat & stir in rest of ingredients. Cover & chill approx 2 hours.

Adapted from 11/93 issue of Bon Appetit

We usually have the ground cranberry relish at relatives but my favorite is this one:

Cranberry Salad

Grind 3 packages of cranberries in food processor or blender and drain. Put in a bowl with 4 cups of sugar and let sit overnight in the refrigerator. The next morning drain off all of the juice.

Add to the cranberries red grapes that have been sliced in half and miniature marshmallows (amounts to taste). Whip 3 cartons of whipping cream, stopping before it gets stiff. Fold whipping cream gently into the cranberry mixture and chill.

I do Rachel Ray's simple Cranberry Orange sauce.

ngredients:

* Zest and juice of 1 orange

* 1/2 cup sugar, plus more if desired

* Pinch salt

* One 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries, rinsed

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water with the orange zest, orange juice, sugar and salt over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 7 minutes. Sweeten with more sugar, if desired. Let the sauce cool to room temperature before serving.

We love *raw* cranberry relish. Mine is super simple.

1 bag cranberries

3 clementines (I wash them and slice off the top and bottom, but leave the skins all around the sides, then quarter them)

maple syrup to taste

Put everything in the food processor and pulse a few times.

I've had it made with some apple as well (meh) and walnuts (yummy, but not okay at our house), and with other sweeteners. But this is my favorite way.

Best made a day before and allowed to sit over night -- but that's not always safe, 'cause somebody will sneak in and eat it ahead of time. ;)

Here's mine. I found it in a magazine or something. Not sure. I just know I carried around this little scrap of paper for years. Every Thanksgiving I would have to hunt for it. A couple years I couldn't find it. I finally wrote it down.

The original recipe called for mandarin oranges, which were okay. I like the diced apple better.

Ginger Cranberry Relish

1/4 c. orange juice

12 oz. cranberries

3/4 c. sugar

1 tbl. minced fresh ginger root

1 med. apple; peeled and diced

1/2 c. chopped pecans

In medium saucepan cook orange juice, cranberries, sugar, and ginger root on medium to medium high for 7-11 minutes until cranberries pop; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in apple and pecans. Chill.

I like mine raw too. I stick a bag of cranberries, a couple of apples, some OJ, and as little sugar as possible in the food processor and chop it all up the day before Thanksgiving because it tastes better after it sits for a day. I'm thinking that the clementines sound good though.

4 cups fresh cranberries

¼ cup water

8 cups sliced peeled apples (5 large apples)

1 cup sugar

In a covered saucepan, simmer cranberries and water for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Press through a sieve or food mill; return to the saucepan. Add apples; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender, but retain their shape. Add sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

We love *raw* cranberry relish. Mine is super simple.

1 bag cranberries

3 clementines (I wash them and slice off the top and bottom, but leave the skins all around the sides, then quarter them)

maple syrup to taste

Put everything in the food processor and pulse a few times.

Mine's very similar! I use honey and a handful of walnuts instead of the syrup. It's deee-lish and everyone loves it. :D

1 c unsweetened 100% cranberry juice

2 c sugar

1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries

1/2 c orange-flavored craisins

3 T fruit-sweetened orange marmalade

2 T orange juice concentrate

2 tsp minced orange peel

Combine cranberry juice & sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until dissolved. Add cranberries & craisins. Cook approx 7 min until cranberries pop. Remove from heat & stir in rest of ingredients. Cover & chill approx 2 hours.

Adapted from 11/93 issue of Bon Appetit

What are the craisins like after boiling?

Awwww, come on, Bill...I spilled mine. I consider a recipe from a somewhat obscure and regional magazine from 2002 to be a secret recipe :lol:.

OK. For you, I'll tell :D

This is really simple, and I'm telling you it doesn't get better. I've made "fancier", but nothing nearly as good as this very simple preparation, which began as an "experiment" on my part years back (and originally contained orange juice and orange vest and elaborate spices, which [believe it or not] actually detracted from the whole). So I'll claim this as *my* creation (not that I doubt others have make the same discovery.

Oh and I'm bad about measuring (I cook by feel) so "best guesses" on my part.

The ingredients are dead simple:

Package of cranberries.

Water (a cup?)

Sugar (discussed below)

Golden Raisins (the "secret weapon")

On the Golden Raisins, get the best ones you can find. Big sultana raisins (we get ours at the Persian market where they know died fruit). However if you can only get Sun-Maid quality Golden Raisins, no fear this will still be delicious (just pre-cook a minute or so longer. See next).

OK at this point we dissolve the sugar in water in a pan on a burner. Add the raisins. Bring the sugar syrup to a simmer and let reduce. Note: I think the syrup takes on something by cooking a while and reducing, so I probably use a little more than a cup, and reducing the syrup longer. So I hold the raisins back. If you start with less water, put the raisins in straight away. And harder raisins obviously take more rehydration time than softer ones. The aim is to have perfectly textured raisins when the sauce in finished (there is a good margin of error). But the texture of the raisins at finish ought to be plumb and soft, but not split or over-swelled.

So the thing is the Golden Raisins will add a nice sweetness. With that, we need to scale back on the sugar. The goal is to find the minimum amount of sugar necessary. Part of what makes this so good is if the cranberries maintain just a bit of tartness, so when your eating this there's a contrast happening between the sever-so-slightly tart cranberry and the sweet raisins. I guessing I use slightly less than 2/3 cup of sugar. I tend to start with a half a cup and slowly add (by taste).

This quality of having the sweet and tart really makes this "special".

How many raisins? I use a big handful. How much is that? I dunno. At least a cup. Cup and a half? Better tot many than too few.

Add cranberries. Keep the heat very low, so the berries gently cook. Try to soften them, while minimizing the splitting. Some will "pop". But try to maintain the texture of the cranberries. So no "boiling" or hard stirring (gentle stirring OK).

Cook (gently!) until cranberries have softened.

That's it. Really simple. But the texture and taste are superb. Everyone I know demands I make the cranberry sauce. Not to brag. Because how hard is this? Not hard AT ALL. But I'm just saying....

And don't try to "improve it" by adding orange juice or zest.

We will sometimes "spice" up a variation of this with things like cardamon and rose water if were are doing a Indo-Persian type thing, but at Thanksgiving this dead-simple version is perfect.

Bill (who wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving :001_smile:)

Edited by Spy Car

Oh, I have an awesome cranberry pie recipe! I'm so excited to make it this year. I haven't had it in years because it has a crunchy crust made with walnuts and my son has had a serious allergy to tree nuts. He tested free of tree nut allergies last spring (still highly allergic to peanuts, though.) :hurray: