Menu

What to get a 10-yeard-old boy that has outgrown Legos

I'm Christmas shopping. For years ds has requested and received Legos. We currently have a Lego collection that would fill a 55 gallon drum. :tongue_smilie: Unfortunately, ds has all but abandoned them this year, so Lego's are off my Christmas list.

He loves to put things together and take them apart. He still loves transformers and that sort of thing. What can I get ds this year that will satisfy his urge to assemble, disassemble, touch, twist, pull and snap?

What about Lego Mindstorms or other (less expensive) robots to assemble, program, and control? (They're like building materials/Legos, computer programming, and remote control vehicles all in one!)

Oldest ds is still LOVING Legos, but his interests have broadened this year: he's also interested in outdoor toys, books and adult science and hobby magazines, certain board games, movie tickets, and a dartboard.

Hope those ideas help. :001_smile:

How about one of the idea books for mindstorms:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/Books/

Beyond that, tools and a project. Perhaps a catapult, or perhaps something with an engine that he can rebuild with a mentor.

Love that idea. His dad could do this with him. He's a geeky engineer type who is happiest with his head inside some electronic or mechanical contraption.)

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I want to get in line to buy unwanted LEGOS, LOL! We'd be interested in the Mindstorms and just basic pieces, too. My 13 yo and 10 yo boys LOVE their LEGOS and both have expressed an interested in working for LEGO when they grow up. I don't think they'll be giving them up anytime soon!

:)

At that age ds moved onto games instead of free building.

Heroscape was Huge here for a while (he and a couple neighborhood kids).

Then Settlers of Catan.

Now Warhammar 40K.

ETA: Sadly to say after large amounts of cash were invested, both Knex and Mindstorms were a waste here.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

When my son was about that age we got him a Flip digital recorder (just the cheapest one). He loved running around making videos with his sisters, then he moved on to making videos of his Lego minifigs and Lego creations. Later, once he got access to an NXT, he started making videos of his robotic projects, too.

How do you feel about airsoft? That's been a big hit around here as well. My son creates targets and obstacle courses to mix up the shooting a bit.

They outgrow Legos????????????????:confused:

I have never heard of such a thing. My two sons are 10 and about 12 years old and still play with Legos. However, there is a different level of Legos. The technobricks are more for older level students. The regular bricks become less attractive to an older child. My sons are apart of FIRST Lego League program. They are building robots with an NXT brick. Fun, fun, fun!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Love that idea. His dad could do this with him. He's a geeky engineer type who is happiest with his head inside some electronic or mechanical contraption.)

Sometimes kits are appreciated when Dad is busy. We thought some of the Elenco electronic ones were worthwhile..kiddo worked on these until next junkyard trip to get parts, then worked on his own contraptions. I"m looking at Elenco's learn to solder kit for the Xmas pending dh's approval. Good places to browse are the hardware store (rope, pullies, etc) and Atomic Hobbies & Crafts (myatomic.com).

Dad & boys built a rope machine and a compressed air 2liter bottle rocket launcher for the cub scouts.

Another thing to do is get started on maintaining his bike by himself & assisting with automotive maintenance. Changing tires just makes them happy for some reason...all that twisting and turning and effort into the lug nuts.

Edited by lgm

I can't imagine outgrowing Legos, but maybe he's looking for something that isn't a toy, but something that's real? Others have mentioned things like the backyard ballistics book. He might also like something easier he could do on his own, like a bird feeder kit (can also count towards science!) -- they have a lot at craft stores, hardware stores, etc.. Or an easy robot kit. Car model...

he still doesn't want to part with his. He occasionally builds something with them even now! That said, however, he does prefer the Mindstorms or Technic (the age on the box says 12 to adult, or something like that) to the old Pirates or Wild West sets he used to be so fond of.

Ds20 hasn't outgrown Legos either. He just bought the Eiffel Tower. He justified the expense by saying he hadn't bought any Legos for a year or more. :o)