Menu

Help! I want to buy a boxed curric.

...I say take a week off ...

I'm only a first year homeschooler, but it sure sounds to me like no matter what route you end up taking (boxed, or simplifying your current curriculum) you need to give yourself a short vacation! You need time to think, clean, organize and prepare. If you go with a boxed curriculum, will you wonder if you've taken the "easy" way out by scrapping all your other great ideas? I say take a week (or two if you need it) to make your decision carefully, get the house ready, reward everyone at the end of it with a field trip and then plunge back in.

K12, courtesty of my tax dollars. The clincher in dh allowing us to homeschool again because, even though I am brilliant and creative, and a wonderful mom and teacher, we just weren't getting it done. very. consistently. We love it. It is rigorous, and a bit of work, but someone else does most of the work for me. We just enjoy the lessons. I say go for it. It is not the end of the world and your kids will probably really like it.

The mom who turned me on to WTM is one of my homeschool mentors and generally who I'd like to be when I grow up.

But she also told me that she sees life as having seasons. And for her, one of her seasons involved a cross country move with four small children. Therefore, it also involved a switch to heavy use of ABeka.

She is now at the point where she has used mostly Sonlight for several years. But she has also learned that one of her kids is really better served by sticking with ABeka and that all of her kids were well served by using ABeka language.

I think that it is noble to look at your situation and say that the perfect has become the enemy of the good.

FWIW, I would sort of count Sonlight as a boxed curriculum since it is possible to rest in the comfort of the predone schedule. I've also found the curriculums from Timberdoodle to be intriguing.

I don't find that a prepped curriculum has to be in antithesis to classical education (although it often is). Maybe this isn't the season for Socratic dialogues for you.

I'm not in the homeschooling is always best just because it's homeschooling camp. But I also don't think that working from some prepared schedules is such a bad thing.

Guest Dulcimeramy

SL is the ideal boxed curriculum if your Mommy Brain is fried, because they even give you comprehension questions to ask your child.

SL saved my sanity when my fourth son was born. Toby was very sick and took all my attention and brain cells. I couldn't plan anything. I just opened that big ol' SL binder, shoved the kids through everything, and made sure to ask those questions and do the timeline and maps every day. I had a take-no-prisoners attitude about it. I didn't care if I liked it or if the boys liked it. SL was it.

I was on complete autopilot. I look back at the instructor guides I used that first year, and I have to wonder what lunatic was in charge. I can see quite clearly that I was sleepless, brainless AND holding a screaming baby every time I made a note in that guide.

I started getting some sleep again two years ago, and began using SL as a resource instead of the whole plan.

Slowly we transitioned to more classical methods, until now we are exactly where I always wanted to be. Our homeschool is my concept of the perfect blend between Charlotte Mason and WTM. I'm back to adapting lessons to each child's needs, while ensuring that each gets an excellent education.

After 3 years with Sonlight, my boys were 100% prepared to begin serious grammar, languages, narration, dictation and copywork...basically they have proved themselves to be able to take on any classical or CM method I throw at them.

My brains were mush during our 100% SL years, but their brains were thriving.

So there you have my boxed curriculum testimony. It didn't ruin my children. The baby got better, I got my brains back, and my children can all still go to Harvard if they want.

***ETA: I never used SL's LA. It didn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

I was tempted to do a box this year - life is hectic and I don't expect it to get better in the short term. I settled for some more workbook driven basics (GWG instead of FLL, TT for my oldest, handwriting workbooks, etc) buying SOTW on CD, getting more read alouds on CD or from audible, and being "ok" with science being pretty random. I am pretty content and like that I don't feel behind to a schedule someone else wrote. I also like that when I can give extra I can plan it myself.

It's hard though I know. I really hate feeling like I'm failing or floundering all the time.

:iagree:

I'm using a lot of these too (GWG, TT, HWT workbooks). Just using these three programs has save me a lot of time (and grief). Also, we do workboxes (not the whole workbox "system" but we do use actual boxes that I number) and now that filling them is taking me less time, it's been a life-saver. When it comes to TT, or other workbooks, it's just a matter of putting the book in the box, or a card that says "Math" so they know it's time to go to the computer to do their math. Also, I finally bought the full Homeschool Tracker Plus. There's a learning curve to using it, but now that I know how it all works (well, mostly) it's great. I can plan as far ahead as I want, and if we don't get to something one day, I can easily move it to the next day. Every once in awhile, I'll get a small chunk of alone time, so I'll sit down and type up some lesson plans for grammar, history, or math. My lesson plans are just typing in the chapter or lesson number and the topic they are learning. I'm new to this keeping track of stuff thing, and Homeschool Tracker has really helped me plan things, not only on paper, but in my head, if that makes any sense. Before I felt like I had a vague sense of what we were learning, but now I think I have a better handle of things. Most of the time, at least. :lol:

Two other random thoughts.

It is easy to look at all the kids around you who are doing great things and think that you and your kids should be doing those great things too. And maybe in some sense it should encourage you to step it up. But it is important to remember that the kid who is doing great music may not be playing a sport and that the kid who is doing advanced math may not have any drama experience and that the kid who gets his Eagle scout at an early age may not have ever had time for church youth group. But it is simple, from the outside to miss the trade offs that the other families have had to make.

I do better with a schedule too, but sometimes a really detailed schedule trips me up. I have to find the balance between just listing the subjects (and sometimes losing track of where we really are) and with writing down everything in gory detail (and then spending more time with scheduling than with schooling - this was especially a problem for me with the electronic tracker program that I tried to use).

I also had to make a contract with my kids that I would make a schedule and they would make sure they got through it. On the other hand, I would not keep piling on more work if they did get things done. (I had developed a tendency of rewarding good speedy work with even more assignments.) That means that there will be lots of books on the shelf that don't get used or are only read by my fast reader or are read out of sequence with their historical time period and on and on. I have to accept that this is ok to (which also helps me control some of the purchases of stuff we don't ever get to).

I also had an odd thought of what if you picked out a box and filled it with the stuff that you would put into a boxed curriculum. Don't think of all the stuff that you wish you could get to. Collect what would satisfy you if that was all that you could accomplish. Maybe think of what you would wish were with you if you had to evacuate for an emergency. Make that your base line. Then add a couple things for flavor that you'd like to do (maybe simple art or music or science). Then stop.

Really. Don't let all the good intentions lead you down the highway of not getting anything done at all.

:grouphug: Why are there ranting smilies and fainting smilies and not a one with a bar of chocolate?

A boxed curriculum will just make you feel burdened and guilty about the money you spent when you still can't get it done or keep on schedule or want to change it a bit (well, that's what it would do to me - I know others recommend it highly). I didn't read all other pp, but ....

1) look for ways to be efficient - if that means workbooks for some areas, so be it - take advantage of them.

2) you're worried about not achieving certain skills - think about how you can do this efficiently. For me, I get nervous when I read what other 5th graders are writing. I Read to all of them, send the oldest in the other room to do a written narration. rinse. repeat.

3) don't take a week off - the kids will get wilder and you will feel worse. Instead, scale homeschool back to it's minimums and do that, get done for the day, and work on things you can't get to because of all the fires you're putting out along the way.

4) do as much school as you can while the littles are awake so you can rest or do something else when they nap.

You are accomplishing more than you think. Stop listening to that lying voice that compares your life to some non-existent, magazine perfect house, snow-white voiced mama, nobel prize winning teacher, etc. My dh took my older kids on an extended field trip for 3 days. I was left at home with a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old. It was amazing how quiet my house was, how clean is stayed all day long (especially the kitchen), and how LONG the day lasted (my 4 yr old wants me to play with him again? I have no fires to put out instead?) It was an overnight flash back. We are not bad house keepers, we just have high volume :D

:grouphug:

first :grouphug:.

This year I completely switched they way we do school. My oldest is using BJ complete with DVDs. It has been a life saver. She is getting consistent teaching, I only have to go over things with her, help her with some homework (same as if she were in school), and grade a few things. (She grades a lot of her work, but she is very responsible with that :001_smile:).

The rest of my kids are using Rod and Staff. There are no DVD's, but I don't think the younger ones would do well with those. There are definite lessons, complete with daily reviews and teacher instructions. I spend somewhere around 10 to 15 minutes per subject. Some days not even that much. :tongue_smilie: But my kids are doing great! They love knowing they are done their lesson. They love that they don't have to wait on me to do their school work (they can do it early and then I review it with them later). They are also learning, and I can see it. I still give them extra books to read, which they tell me about, but no written narrations or notebooks. Nothing open ended.

We had to make this switch because our life is just to crazy. The kids swim 3 days a week, and the pool is an hour away. They also all practice an instrument. 3 are doing violin which requires me to help them (I spend over an hour a day working with them). We felt the swimming and music were more important than me trying to do education the way I wanted. They are still getting an excellent education, but I feel so much saner! It really has freed up a lot of time for us. The kids are happier and so am I.

I think if life is that crazy right now, and you can do something to make it easier, go for it. :D

my 2 cents.

K12, courtesty of my tax dollars. The clincher in dh allowing us to homeschool again because, even though I am brilliant and creative, and a wonderful mom and teacher, we just weren't getting it done. very. consistently. We love it. It is rigorous, and a bit of work, but someone else does most of the work for me. We just enjoy the lessons. I say go for it. It is not the end of the world and your kids will probably really like it.

:iagree: And I started using K12 through the state for the same reason. Since I started 4 years ago I've had 7 friends begin using K12---all but one through the state. I would LOVE to use K12 without the state, but wow is it nice having it all free. If I end up going independent I will probably not do K12 due to the cost.

I have a cupboard bursting with files of documents. I am secretary for several volunteer groups, which proves that their is a serious shortage in volunteers.

I did boxed curriculums for years with occasional breaks of total chaos.

I use HST plus now so it is like having a currricula for me.

LOL. A wonderful organized friend of mine offered to divide up books for me in weekly sections so i could wean myself from bc. I am now on the yahoo groups that effectively do that for me with a lot of the curricula I use.

Another idea is the time spent way. A wonderful Classical Ed family uses this all through grade school. They spend the morning rigidly following a pattern of 40 minutes of Math, 30 minutes of writing etc. and feel like all is guranteed accomplished by lunch break . With confidence and pride they fit in projects in the afternoon.

In essence, she said to never cling so tightly to a homeschool ideal that you fail to serve your family. She was of a living book mindset and against worksheets and textbooks. Then she had a year when her mom was dying, her husband out of work, her dd sick and diagnosed with a chronic illess. I forget what she finally used as a "boxed" and worksheet based curriculum, but she did so for about 18 months.

Her children did not suffer academically; only her pride a little bit. She was able to move forward with ALL the other pressing things, know that the kids were at least learning and doing something.

This is really food for thought.

The best choice is the one that gets done. :grouphug:

You sound so overwhelmed:grouphug:. Those littles are going to grow and flourish, and then you'll find yourself looking back for the good old days. Make today happy, enjoy your crazy moments and do the best you can. It's all anyone can do.

The best choice is the one that gets done. :grouphug:

You sound so overwhelmed:grouphug:. Those littles are going to grow and flourish, and then you'll find yourself looking back for the good old days. Make today happy, enjoy your crazy moments and do the best you can. It's all anyone can do.

I actually did read through all the posts -- everyone wrote posts that struck a chord with me -- excellent points made. Tammyla's quote above says what I was going to say: The best choice is the one that gets done. Take a little time (you've nothing to lose at this point) and prioritize and get your wits about you. Take baby steps -- whatever you start with, start with something incredibly manageable and doable.

I think the important thing for your sanity and for you to get a sense of accomplishment is to re-gain a sense of control. If boxed curric facilitates that, then go for it. With the upheaval we are experiencing, I scaled back for a week to four main subject areas (my children are older - you might select two subject areas for your oldest) -- we are getting those four subjects done four days a week - I am thrilled. You may have workbooks on hand that can stand alone that you can give to dc to do first thing every morning. What has helped us most is starting with the SAME thing every day -- whether it's what I want to do or not -- I make myself begin each week's lesson plan with the same thing -- it sets a pattern and a routine and makes it easier to move to the next thing. We have gone back to doing Wordly Wise first thing every day -- the kids love it, it captures their attention, and they get settled.

Whatever you decide to do with them, as long as it IS done, they will benefit from it. Two subjects the first two days, three the next two days, four the last day. Then start the next week and increase slowly. More than content, you want to get the habit of doing school and their study skills honed (your oldest).

I cannot do anything without at least the most basic lesson plan written down -- flying by the seat of my pants does not work with me and homeschooling. I plan for my oldest (DD 10 fifth grade) first and then juggle and erase and combine to fit the twins (ds and dd 9 - third grade). MATH and Language Arts (some form of it) are the non-negotiables that will get done no matter what. HTH

Hang in there! Mariann:001_smile:

Edited by MariannNOVA
rephrase

You've gotten so much good advice, but I wanted to add my .02

We've been homeschooling for 13 years now, mostly using WTM methods and ideas. I have pieced together my own thing from the beginning. I love real books and HATE the idea of textbooks, worksheets, tests, grades, and report cards. My oldest graduated this past June and is doing very well in college without having ever used a boxed, school-at-home curriculum.

This past February my sister left her husband and children and moved to Canada to live with a man she met online. She had "homeschooled" my niece and nephew, using a below-my-standards workbook curriculum from Curriculum Services. My niece is 4 years behind in school. Yes, FOUR YEARS. My nephew, 6 at the time, had done 11 pages of math his entire 1st grade year and nothing more. My own dd was going to be starting 9th grade this fall, and my youngest was going into 5th grade. I have my niece and nephew 5 days a week, and I am now responsible for their education. I certainly had my work cut out for me!

Much to my disappointment, my bil would not allow me to have either my niece nor my nephew evaluated. He also would not allow me to change niece's curriculum. I was permitted to use whatever I wanted with nephew. In addition to trying to help them deal with the loss of their mother, I knew this year would be a REAL uphill battle with how bil tied my hands.

In the midst of all this, we decided to go with all ABeka for my dd and ds. We're using the DVD's for dd, and she is THRIVING. I sit with ds and teach him, following ABeka's lesson plans, and he too is thriving. DD is doing all of the tests, etc.; ds is not. I had to put aside my ideals and replace them with my new reality: I needed as much help in maintaining sanity as I could get. Using a curriculum that has done the lion's share of the work for me has helped tremendously! I spend 2 hours with ds, almost no time with dd (and she has wonderful, patient teachers who she can pause and rewind if need be. I do help her study and am always available when she needs me). Nephew takes about an hour; niece continues to work on her own, but I go over her work with her and TRY to teach her. She's *very* stubborn and truly has no interest in learning.

All this to say that you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Your kiddos are so very young yet that I think instead of getting 2 grades worth of a boxed curriculum, I'd go for a Sonlight Core that could be done by both of your school-aged children. Just add math and language arts (maybe ABeka or BJU for these) at their level.

Or just take a week off, regroup, and get going again. The important thing is to be consistent, but you already know that! :)

((((Aubrey)))) You're a good mom.

Homeschooling can be really simple and quick at your kids' ages. My 9 yo and 7 yo usually take about 2 hours total, and that's for a full school day. We could do more, but they are covering the basics, and making good progress. I also choose programs where I can easily "do the next thing" with no planning. This is what we do:

9yos- Horizons math, Natural Speller, Zaner Bloser cursive handwriting, read books aloud, Apologia Elementary Zoology, Story of the World w/activity guide, journal writing, narration, copywork, and dictation

7 yod- Horizons math, Draw Write Now, read books aloud, same history and science as above, narration, and copywork

There are things I would like to add in, and I probably will add a few things soon. What helps me is to remember that for us, reading, writing, and math are what really matter, followed by science and history. Anything else is extra. If I were to use a boxed curriculum, it couldn't be any easier or less time-consuming that what we are already doing, and if I did that, I would be giving up a lot of my freedom to homeschool the way I want to.

When I am feeling really flustered and overwhelmed, one thing that helps me is to have our school after lunch instead of the usual morning, giving myself the entire morning and the time when I have the most energy to tackle more dreaded projects. The kids like the unexpected morning free time too.

It looks like you have gotten a lot of great advice. I just wanted to tell you I can empathize with your situation. I went with Calvert this year. I thought it would be good with a very busy schedule, babies, and deployed husband. Now it hasn't been a bad year but waaay to much money. I feel obligated to finish it because I bought it (unless someone wants to by 4th, 3rd and 1st).;)

I really miss the curricula I pulled together. Lesson learned albeit a pricey one.

hi, i hope you see this... i saw you are using calvert... so am I! i need the calvert test series. they won't let me buy it on calvert's website because i bought the curric. on vegsouce. i spent the whole sch-bang last year on 3rd and 1st. do you have it? i would love to buy either the original test series or a photocopied set. please email me at aweinheimer@aim.com

we have #5 on the way and for now, calvert is working great, as long as I don't overthink it!

thanks again,amy

You sound just like me.:)

We are using a boxed curriculum (sort of) this year. I chose to go with ACE paces and the stress level in our home is so much less. I know that school is getting done, she is learning and doing well on tests. Also , the record keeping is so simplified now.

It has been a real blessing to us.

You sound just like me.:)

We are using a boxed curriculum (sort of) this year. I chose to go with ACE paces and the stress level in our home is so much less. I know that school is getting done, she is learning and doing well on tests. Also , the record keeping is so simplified now.

It has been a real blessing to us.

I'm glad to see someone finally recommended ACE. Most WTMers don't think very highly of it, but I will tell you that when we needed a 'boxed' curriculum for a 'need-to-get-'er-done' year, ACE worked wonders in our home.

It's pick-up-and-go, self-taught and self-checked. You simply have your child do a minimum of 3 pages per day in each subject. Easy Peasy.

I thought my kids would hate it, and they actually not only enjoyed it, but the school work got done in a minimal amount of time and they retained what they had learned. But the main thing was: school got done. Each and every day without my explicit involvement in every detail of the day. And when we finally stopped using it, my kids were NOT behind academically! (something many people tell you will happen when you use ACE)

They have a free online placement test so you know exactly where to start your dc, and you only need to purchase one worktext at a time so it's not a huge start-up cost. I purchased one Pace in each subject for my kids, along with the remedial Pace's suggested (in English), and just let my kids do those. They liked them, so I bought a few more. Easy on the budget.

ACE could be exactly what you are looking for to get you over the hump. Give it a look.

My motivation is completely sapped, & I can't seem to get ME to do what I need to do.

So much of your posts could have been written by me. The above quote particularly resonates. I don't really have any advice, but :grouphug:.

I've longingly looked at our state's K12 virtual school more times than I care to admit recently. So far, I haven't gone that route because 1) I don't allow myself to make major hs decisions/changes in October (because this is typically my worst month for despair/grass-is-greener syndrome) and 2) when I really think about it, K12 would probably increase my workload with the kiddos right now--it would certainly increase their workload, as our state would require B&T to do 25 hours of schoolwork a week.

I also really, really like most of the curriculum I've chose, and it's not that overwhelming when I actually get to it...it's the getting to it that's a problem for whatever reason. :tongue_smilie: Math and grammar are getting done consistently at least, as these are largely indpendently done by the boys (we use TT and GWG.) Still working on the rest... it doesn't help that we started our school year later than I had hoped, and didn't get any of the summer stuff I had planned done.

I won't even get into the major decluttering/organization stuff that really needs my attention (another summer project gone awry due to a summer spent in bed/at the computer/puking because of a "surprise" pregnancy) or the daily maintenance that I seem to be chronically behind on.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if perhaps I also need to drop some of my ideals and do something simple to get me through the school year. Drat! Now K12 is sounding attractive again... *sigh* Best wishes to you, Aubrey. I hope we both figure this out for ourselves! :)

So much of your posts could have been written by me. The above quote particularly resonates. I don't really have any advice, but :grouphug:.

I've longingly looked at our state's K12 virtual school more times than I care to admit recently. So far, I haven't gone that route because 1) I don't allow myself to make major hs decisions/changes in October (because this is typically my worst month for despair/grass-is-greener syndrome) and 2) when I really think about it, K12 would probably increase my workload with the kiddos right now--it would certainly increase their workload, as our state would require B&T to do 25 hours of schoolwork a week.

I also really, really like most of the curriculum I've chose, and it's not that overwhelming when I actually get to it...it's the getting to it that's a problem for whatever reason. :tongue_smilie: Math and grammar are getting done consistently at least, as these are largely indpendently done by the boys (we use TT and GWG.) Still working on the rest... it doesn't help that we started our school year later than I had hoped, and didn't get any of the summer stuff I had planned done.

I won't even get into the major decluttering/organization stuff that really needs my attention (another summer project gone awry due to a summer spent in bed/at the computer/puking because of a "surprise" pregnancy) or the daily maintenance that I seem to be chronically behind on.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if perhaps I also need to drop some of my ideals and do something simple to get me through the school year. Drat! Now K12 is sounding attractive again... *sigh* Best wishes to you, Aubrey. I hope we both figure this out for ourselves! :)

I keep looking at K12 too...I signed up for their mailing list, and they keep sending me sample CDs. It would be free here through the state, but like you I keep thinking it would actually be more work for us. I feel like we are pretty balanced most of the time, but if we are having a crazy day it's easy for me to move a big project to a different part of the week. I'm afraid that with K12 I wouldn't be able to do that as freely (I could be wrong though...we've never used it before).

I have been struggling from the beginning (and I'm in my 6th year of hsing) to find a balance between planning and flying by the seat of my pants:glare:. I've used Calvert several times, TXVA (K12), Sonlight, simplycharlottemason.com, donna young forms, and HST+ along with more self-created forms and schedules than I can count.

I start to panic when a don't have a detailed laid out plan. But the second I get one, a start to feel all stifled and wiggly. Especially because it drives me crazy to have to tweak or reschedule a plan that I've spent hours or tons of $$ on.

This year, I think I've hit on something that is working. I'm attaching a Weekly Record Form that I created. The way that I use it is this:

1. It isn't tied to a calendar. I fill in the dates as I go and countdown the days starting with 180.

2. I only print out a couple at a time (one color for each child) and stack them on my desk or clipboard. I print the form on front and back, so that each page lasts 2 weeks. When it is complete I add it to a binder for that child.

3. As we complete a lesson or workbook page or activity, I write it down in pen. If I have an idea of what I want to do the next day or two, I pencil that in. Then, the next day, if we complete the task I pen it in; if plans change I just erase it and leave it blank or pen in what we do.

I've worked hard to find good sources that I really like.....that are open and go. I also basically tutor my children. We sit at the table together - one student at a time - with all of my resources and that student's books. While my student is working on one assignment, I am sitting next to him/her, getting ready for the next assignment or lesson, recording what we're doing, and/or thinking about and organizing for the next lesson or day. Plus, I'm right there if he/she has a question. And, for my oldest dd, to help her stay focused. <insert daydreaming smilie here>

Here's a link to the word file that I use for my form. I hope some of my rambling has been helpful:001_smile:. It's called Holly Grade 5

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kij3mogj4ze

Aubrey,

I have a boat load to say on this topic, but I'm so busy with 3 kids in the K12 VA that I haven't had time to post my reply. I've had the reply screen open for an entire day, and I really want to share all my thoughts, but I've got to get back to our lessons! Drat!

If you are in the reading mood, and you want to know my thoughts about K12 and my VA experience, I've posted many times on the topic before. You can search for posts under my name.

In short, I was where you are, though I did not know how to articulate my struggles as well as you did in your post, and I probably didn't want to admit they were there either. I've been using K12 through our VA since last February, and I am very happy, to say the least, with our homeschool now. I have placed myself in a situation where I HAVE to get the lessons done that I WANT to get done, that I previously WASN'T getting done. My oldest dd has made huge leaps in progress in spelling, writing and math, and I'm getting all those difficult (for me) things done like science, history, and art. I'm as pleased as can be, and I will continue to use K12 through our VA as long as it is beneficial for our family.

I have more to say, but I have to go now. Please excuse any grammar or miscommunications, as I have typed this out as fast as possible. :willy_nilly: