Menu

I got a haircut this afternoon &...

y'all have seen my avatar. My hair used to be straighter than a board, then it curled up like this pic. Drove me nuts.

Suddenly, though, it's *curly.* I mean, my friend who has known me & cut my hair for 2 years, said, Gee...has your hair always been this curly?

I look like I got a perm.

Dh & I meet 1/2 way to church on Weds nights to switch kids & cars. He didn't recognize me. (From behind.)

I've been looking for a pic online to give an ex, but there's just not anything 80s enough. I look like the pics mom always clipped to show the stylist what kind of hair she wanted.

I don't mind curly, necessarily. That's kind-of fun. But I'm just not sure what to do about *this.*

bigstockphoto_woman_with_curly_hair_5177634.s600x600.jpg

That's the closest thing I can find, & this pic is cute enough--the point is, it's *curly.* But just from the top of my ears or so down.

Do you...roll it? Perm it, so it's all-the-way-curly? (I know, but my only experience w/ curly hair is a perm in the 80s. Which, to make things worse was really early jr high.)

I'm sure haircut, style, etc. make a difference, but...I'm in *such* denial. How did this happen?

The curls are so...delicate. I mean, they dry, & poof! I'm afro-head. Mousse?

TIA!

Aubrey, the once-straight haired pony-tail wearer.

Wow! Maybe I need to get my hair cut to ease my wavy hair into more curliness. ;) Don't do a perm! Conditioner is your friend, as is gel. :) Here are some links that might be of use to you:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/

Enjoy your new hair! :D

Do you want it to stay curly? If you want it straight, maybe you could use a straightening iron.

P.S. Now I'm insanely jealous of you. I have thin, flat hair and I can only wear a stupid pixie cut. Any longer than past the bottom of my neck and I look like a drowned rat.

My hair went from stick straight as a child to mildly waving through my teen years to curly after having 3 children. And like you said the curls are delicate. One mismanage and you've got frizz on your hands. It took a while but I found I can't wash every day. I have to have layers cut to my waves/curls and a little conditioner goes a long way.

Do you want it to stay curly? If you want it straight, maybe you could use a straightening iron.

P.S. Now I'm insanely jealous of you. I have thin, flat hair and I can only wear a stupid pixie cut. Any longer than past the bottom of my neck and I look like a drowned rat.

Hmmm...I don't think it's a choice kind of thing. Not that I'm by any means an expert, but my hair's so...thick...I mean, like the diameter of a quarter or more...I'm not sure it would work to iron it.

It got a weird wave after baby #2, but I still treated it like straight hair. It was just...not as pretty. I began looking like frumpy mom instead of long, blonde hair girl. This is different, though. I've been noticing little ringlets, but it was too thick & heavy to realize how curly it's gotten. I don't know if it's more since baby #4--he's 1, so you'd think I'd have noticed before now. Or maybe I've just been more stressed out than I realized? :lol:

It's really just a matter of I-only-know-how-to-fix-the-kind-of-hair-I-had-in-highschool. If our hair changes, we should get at least a year to get used to it. A year in which we can stand in front of the mirror & primp as if there were not 4 crying children in the other room waiting to be fed, cleaned, dressed, & educated. :D

I love the pixie cuts. I look like a boy when I try to wear them. Or more suspicious of everybody. Something not right. But I love them, & I'm jealous of *you* because you can wear them. Do you know the only really curly pics I found when trying to google this new mop were pixie cuts ala Meg Ryan? What I wouldn't give for the guts to cut & dye my hair like hers. Oh, & the body to carry it. ;)

You need to read the Curly Girl book. Mine got curly after I had kids. I didn't even know it until I started growing it out long. When it was super short, it had lots of body, but it wasn't curly.

I know. Y'all have been mentioning that book forever. But our library doesn't have it, & I just can't bring myself to spend $20 on a book about hair, sight unseen.

I have thick, pretty curly hair. I put a lot of conditioner in it (shampoo every other day, but condition daily). Then I comb it out, put some mousse in it and scrunch it (I do this part upside-down), flip back upright, clip it or whatever I'm doing, and leave it there. I don't touch it after that. I never blow-dry.

I'm not the world's curly hair expert, but it works for me.

I know. Y'all have been mentioning that book forever. But our library doesn't have it, & I just can't bring myself to spend $20 on a book about hair, sight unseen.

I have opposite hair than you (very fine and thin) and I got a pixie cut in April. It grew back curly. Currently I use L'oreal Out of Bed texturizer and a homemade revitalizer (spray gel, water, leave-in conditioner). I also use a diffuser which really makes a difference in the volume.

For you, I would use a leave-in and a nice curl cream. If that doesn't define enough, you can add in a gel. I've heard good things about Garnier cream-gel, but it was too heavy for me (I needed it more gel-ier) If you have a diffuser, use it; it will give you volume. Putting in a hair clamp (butterfly clip?) toward the top, where it's not curly, will create some volume up top.

Basically, the curly girl technique is using conditioner to wash, or a very very mild shampoo (usually one without sulfates) and looking for products without silicones. Some people can tolerate silicones better than others.

The forums at naturallycurly.com are very helpful.

All I can say is I am horribly envious. I have been trying to get that hair for 30 years at least and well I haven't ever got remotely close. I did get better perms 10-15 years ago but stylist absolutely refuse to use smaller rods even when I tell them I want it really curly. I just had mine done recently and the only real difference is it is not stick straight and flat anymore. Just a more fluffy version of what I already had.

when it's humid out or my daughter sweats or we cut her hair, it curls. I personally LOVE it.

What I would recommend for you is to get a great cut you like, and once you're out of the shower, find a product you like to put in your hair so it doesn't POOF out when dry. Once product is evenly distributed just scrunch your hair all around with your hands. My hair is STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT but I do this in the summer sometimes and it looks great!

On days you want a change or something special you can use a hair iron.

With a great cut you will be thankful for your curl. You just need to find the right product.

My dd15 has ringlets. She cant use a brush, or shampoo very often. She has a broad toothed comb for combing conditioner in in the shower. She wets it every day, sometimes twice, and conditins it daily. She sleeps with it in plaits otherwise it gets frizzy. She uses a straightener sometimes for a change. She gets tired of it and sometimes woudl like to do something radical like her straight or wavy haired friends who colour and do things with their hair. But hers is just lovely as is, and honey blonde.

I say, enjoy and celebrate your curls!

My hair has done wierd things over the years. I had simply wavy hair when young. I have photos of me in my teens with very curly hair, thick and almost frizzy. Then when I had kids- my hair went quite straight and lifeless. Now it's just wavy again.

I love the pixie cuts. I look like a boy when I try to wear them. Or more suspicious of everybody. Something not right. But I love them, & I'm jealous of *you* because you can wear them. Do you know the only really curly pics I found when trying to google this new mop were pixie cuts ala Meg Ryan? What I wouldn't give for the guts to cut & dye my hair like hers. Oh, & the body to carry it. ;)

:lol: Why do we always seem to hate the hair we have and want the opposite? I've been wanting thick, curly hair my whole life. And there you are wanting a thin pixie cut. Go figure!

The second link posted in my first reply to you (:D) is a nice summary of the Curly Girl method. The others go into more detail. I have the book, but have been referring to these link more lately.

HTH

Mine got very curly after I turn 40. Even my bangs are curly which drives me nuts a bit. I make sure I get a good layered cut. I use conditioner in the shower and then also apply a leave in conditioner daily. The only thing I use a hair dryer for is my bangs in order to straighten them out. The texture and manageability of my hair is much better after coloring which I now do regularly at home.

Aubrey

The Fort Worth library does have it, or at least did about a year ago. I got it for my daughters from there. And it was worth it! My middle girl has curls like in that picture, the kind that frizz if you don't take care of it correctly. The book changed her life (well, actually just how she felt about her hair -- which at 15, is her life)

Linda

I just checked--there are five copies in the FW library system and 4 are currently checked in.

Edited by Linda in TX
more info

:lurk5:

In the wrong kind of weather, I get what we affectionately call "Hermione Hair" (as in H. Granger from Harry Potter).

This is too funny! My dds hair was frizzy and absolutely wild yesterday, and she said, "I have Hermione Hair!". I'll have to tell her she's not the only one.:D

Aubrey

The Fort Worth library does have it, or at least did about a year ago. I got it for my daughters from there. And it was worth it! My middle girl has curls like in that picture, the kind that frizz if you don't take care of it correctly. The book changed her life (well, actually just how she felt about her hair -- which at 15, is her life)

Linda

I just checked--there are five copies in the FW library system and 4 are currently checked in.

Well...I don't know what to say. Except that things are often impossible to find in their online database. But still. I must have looked before I figured out that you have to try several different titles for a book if you really, really want to find it. ;)

Thank you!