Menu

Is Colin worth the first spot in my que? I thought Hugh played Darcy.

I am bitterly disappointed.

I read Pride and Prejudice under the mistaken belief that Hugh Grant played Darcy. The entire book, I was picturing Hugh.

Now, I've gone to reserve it in Netflix and I've realized that I had the movies mixed up.

Ah, the injustice.....

I guess I have to read Sense and Sensibility to get a shot at him.

In the meantime, is the Colin Firth version the good one?

The Colin Firth version is GREAT!!

When I first saw Darcy on my first viewing about 4 years ago, I was a little disappointed by the lack of cuteness. By the end of the movie I was swooning.:) Since his character development is essentially a major theme of the book, I think the fact that he grows on you is actually a result of good acting and directing.

I love Hugh in S&S, but I can't say he's any better than Darcy.

Have Fun!

Let us know what you think.

Leanna

This is the only movie in which I like Colin Firth. I have hated everything else he has done. You most certainly have picked the best!:D

To be fair, though, I really do not like Hugh Grant. He does not appeal to me at all. To me, he is the only glaring problem with S&S. :tongue_smilie:

This is the only movie in which I like Colin Firth. I have hated everything else he has done. You most certainly have picked the best!:D

To be fair, though, I really do not like Hugh Grant. He does not appeal to me at all. To me, he is the only glaring problem with S&S. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I don't LOVE Hugh Grant in everything he does, although I often like it. But, in reading P & P...I could just see him in it.

I read it because it gets rave reviews and I was bored, at first. Then I was hooked and had to go back and re-read the parts I had skimmed out of boredom. Now, I constantly go back and re-read my favorite parts. And those favorite parts were imagined with Hugh in the part.

ok.... I need to go look up Colin Firth so I can read some of those parts with HIM and not Hugh.

Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I fell in love with Colin Firth's Mr Darcy when the series first came out on TV. My husband very kindly bought me the DVD as a gift about a year ago, but I haven't watched it yet because I just don't think I should undermine my marriage like that!!

In the meantime, is the Colin Firth version the good one?
I think you've stumbled upon the single question on which the members of this board can present a united front.

What say you Bill? :D

Collin :001_wub:

Hugh :drool:

Matthew Macfadyen in the Keira Knightley version (and Little Dorrit) :drool::001_wub::svengo:

*sigh*

LOL I so agree!

I'm not a big Hugh fan though. Not because he isn't as cute as can be, but he seems to be the same person in almost every movie. In fact, I prefer the newer version of Sense & Sensibility over the Hugh/Thompson version. Thompson [and Winslet] always seemed rather too old to me.

I also think Collin IS Darcy, but that Matthew Macfayden in the new version was awfully dreamy as well. He was sooooo stinkin' CUTE! :lol: Keira Knightly as Elizabeth however...:tongue_smilie: What WERE they thinking! :confused:

Wait, I'm not a huge Hugh Grant fan, but he was not the only problem with S&S. How about the age of Emma Thompson? I mean, it's just weird. She's supposed to be 20-ish (maybe 19) in the book right? Emma Thompson seems much older than Grant here. No flames, please. I like Emma Thompson and think older women should pursue younger roles. Just didn't work for me in this movie.

P.S. I love Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. I also loved him in Bridget Jones' Diary. Haven't liked him in much other than that, tho.

Edited by Margaret in GA
edited to add topic-relevant information ;)