Menu

Is it worth buying a breast pump

Well, given that this child should continue receiving breastmilk for at least another 6.5 months & preferably another 18.5 months or more, I'd say yes.

Even if baby starts solids in the next month, the bulk of the calories and nutrition should continue to come from breastmilk for many more months.

Remember that if you continue to provide this baby breastmilk, the baby will continue to receive immunological protection from you. Their immune system is still weak and developing so they need this help. Every virus and bacterium you're exposed to, your body will have an immunological response to it, and that response will be transferred through your breastmilk to your baby to assit the baby in fighting the disease.

That's well worth the expense of a good pump which maintains your milk supply and keeps you comfortable, and gives your body optimum nutrition.

Call your local WIC office to see if they have one you may borrow.

Have you tried hand-expressing? It actually worked really well for me with #3.

I have never been able to hand express, although I wish I could. For some reason I just can't get it to work.

This may be a silly question, but how do the ones from the WIC offices work? How can they be completely sterile if they are used by so many people?

Well, given that this child should continue receiving breastmilk for at least another 6.5 months & preferably another 18.5 months or more, I'd say yes.

Even if baby starts solids in the next month, the bulk of the calories and nutrition should continue to come from breastmilk for many more months.

Remember that if you continue to provide this baby breastmilk, the baby will continue to receive immunological protection from you. Their immune system is still weak and developing so they need this help. Every virus and bacterium you're exposed to, your body will have an immunological response to it, and that response will be transferred through your breastmilk to your baby to assit the baby in fighting the disease.

That's well worth the expense of a good pump which maintains your milk supply and keeps you comfortable, and gives your body optimum nutrition.

You're right. I know you are. I just don't know where I could come up with the money. That's no excuse for compromising my baby's health though. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

If you are low or lowish income, your WIC office might give you a brand new one- mine did. I forget the brand name, but it's pretty much exactly the same as the Medela Pump in Style. It's electric and comes in a nice black tote bag. Of course, that WAS five years ago, in Louisiana, so obviously YMMV. I'd certainly look into it, though. Do you get WIC? If not, you should look into it. It's very helpful.

I have never been able to hand express, although I wish I could. For some reason I just can't get it to work.

This may be a silly question, but how do the ones from the WIC offices work? How can they be completely sterile if they are used by so many people?

I think they're similar to the ones used by hospitals. They have a tubing kit which is not re-usable and there are filters and screens between the pump and the tubing; the milk is supposed to never get into the actual mechanism so that's why they can be used by a large # of people, so long as you get your own tubing kit.

I'm in Canada so I can't help you with WIC questions.... I hope someone else can.

At 5 1/2 months I would say no (at least not a fancy one). If you nurse right before you leave and immediately upon return you are only missing 1 feeding (and by 9-10 months probably not missing even one because that could be when you fed solids). I'm not sure I would sink the $250 or so into a good electric pump. When my girls were little I got the Avent Isis so I could have the occasional bottle and it worked great for $35.

The last 5-1/2 months she has been with me. But you know how things change..financial situations, work schedules...now she has to be away from me a bit.

Well, she's a bit young to go that long without milk. And the price of formula even once a day would pay for a pump pretty quickly. I used a manual pump, 30 years ago. My daughter got an electric pump through WIC.

Good luck.

At 5 1/2 months I would say no (at least not a fancy one). If you nurse right before you leave and immediately upon return you are only missing 1 feeding (and by 9-10 months probably not missing even one because that could be when you fed solids). I'm not sure I would sink the $250 or so into a good electric pump. When my girls were little I got the Avent Isis so I could have the occasional bottle and it worked great for $35.

You know, that could work, especially if she nurses exclusively when she's home--no solids, no bottles, no pacifier, just nursing.

See, that's what we've been doing. Nurse right before she leaves, then the sitter feeds her baby cereal, and then I feed her when she gets home. But she definitely wants to nurse before she gets home. Could be she just wants to nurse for comfort, not actually wants the milk, but I don't know. She's still little.

You're right. I know you are. I just don't know where I could come up with the money. That's no excuse for compromising my baby's health though. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

While I do believe that breast milk is best, I wouldn't look at the use of formula as 'compromising your baby's health". I struggled to nurse and made it about 6 weeks before we had to move to formula. DD wasn't gaining any weight even though I was nursing every three hours (for about an hour at a time) and trying to pump during the off times (I was lucky to get 1/2 and ounce from each breast). I simply wasn't producing enough milk. I even met with a lactation consultant 3 different times, but nothing worked.

Yes, it is wonderful to breast feed your child, but please don't feel bad if you aren't able to. And it sounds like you will still breast feed, you will simply need to supplement with formula.

And when you're done with it, you can probably resell it for quite a bit. I did.

I debated this so much, and then when DD was 2 weeks old I had a bad gall bladder attack and was scheduled for a surgery. That made the decision easy--I had to pump and dump for 5 days or I would have lost the supply.

I was so glad that I had it later. DD turned out to be one of those kids would not have weaned herself until about age 7, and I used it a lot. Then I sold it for about 2/3 what I had spent, so it worked out quite well.

While I do believe that breast milk is best, I wouldn't look at the use of formula as 'compromising your baby's health". I struggled to nurse and made it about 6 weeks before we had to move to formula. DD wasn't gaining any weight even though I was nursing every three hours (for about an hour at a time) and trying to pump during the off times (I was lucky to get 1/2 and ounce from each breast). I simply wasn't producing enough milk. I even met with a lactation consultant 3 different times, but nothing worked.

Yes, it is wonderful to breast feed your child, but please don't feel bad if you aren't able to. And it sounds like you will still breast feed, you will simply need to supplement with formula.

Oh my goodness I hope you did not take offense to my choice of words. I know there are those who cannot nurse, and for them I am thankful that formula exists. But for me personally, since I have an abundant milk supply, I wouldn't feel right wasting it or giving my baby formula when I have plenty of milk available. I certainly meant no offense to those who do not nurse, and I am not putting down formula. (I don't think that's what you think I meant, but it's so hard to read tone sometimes!)

get a manual pump free from the WIC office, that is what I used the first month I was back to work, although I ended up switching to formula for the most part because I am a gas station clerk and am up there alone so I had many interruptions while pumping and my supply dropped because of it.

Oh my goodness I hope you did not take offense to my choice of words. I know there are those who cannot nurse, and for them I am thankful that formula exists. But for me personally, since I have an abundant milk supply, I wouldn't feel right wasting it or giving my baby formula when I have plenty of milk available. I certainly meant no offense to those who do not nurse, and I am not putting down formula. (I don't think that's what you think I meant, but it's so hard to read tone sometimes!)

No offense taken at all:001_smile:.... I just didn't want you to feel guilty about the choice that you were going to make. Some women beat themseves up over decisions like this and no woman needs more stress in their life.

See, that's what we've been doing. Nurse right before she leaves, then the sitter feeds her baby cereal, and then I feed her when she gets home. But she definitely wants to nurse before she gets home. Could be she just wants to nurse for comfort, not actually wants the milk, but I don't know. She's still little.

At 5 1/2 months I would bet she still needs to nurse once while you are gone. In another three months or so though the cereal and a bit of fruit/veggies would be enough with a cup of water.

I'll agree about the Avent Isis. I went back to work FT after my DD7 was born and pumped enough to keep up with her with my Isis. For one bottle a day, and if you have plenty of milk, this should totally do the job for you. Have you ever pumped before?

I have pumped before but it's been awhile and I've never had much luck. But I've only used cheap pumps (The First Years, Evenflo) and they ended up crapping out on me.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I talked to someone at the WIC office and they are going to check to see if they have any in right now. That seems like the easiest/best option for me right now. Thanks again.

I got a pretty decent pump for around $100. And yes, I think it would be worth it in your situation.

Since she's still pretty young and hopefully will be getting breastmilk for around another 6 months to a year or so... I would say it would be worth it. Not only will it help keep your supply healthy, but it will give her the milk during the time she is away from you if she needed it. On some days she might not need it, but on other it might be a godsend for the sitter. Think of during growth spurts or such when she'll be hungrier...

To be honest, I have pumped quite a bit, and my guy was never one for a bottle... but he did take them sometimes, and I'm sure my DH was grateful for those! A lot of my milk went down the drain... but at least I kept my supply up, the bottles were there if they needed them, and I got some relief from feeling like I was going to burst out of my bra! :D

I have pumped before but it's been awhile and I've never had much luck. But I've only used cheap pumps (The First Years, Evenflo) and they ended up crapping out on me.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I talked to someone at the WIC office and they are going to check to see if they have any in right now. That seems like the easiest/best option for me right now. Thanks again.

LOL! You're right about those not being great pumps. In BFing circles, the Evenflo is known as the Evilflo :D If the WIC office can help you, that would be terrific! If you need advice on pumping, ask us again. There are some very helpful resources out there about helping to relax and let down, etc. If I can't dig them up, I know some of the others here can. It wasn't easy pumping once or twice a day with a manual pump in a crowded supply closet, hoping no one would knock on the door at my old office! But the Avent really made it work for me, and an electric would be even better. Let us know if you need more help!