Menu

Why does Sonlight use this?

I decided to change my son's history program for 4th grade and after much searching thought I had decided on Sonlight (I think it was Core 4 or Core 3/4). It said they used The Story of the USA.

I did not want the whole Sonlight package so I just ordered The Story of the USA from EPS books.

I thought it looked overly simplistic (each chapter is about 1-1 1/2 pages) and then there were questions.

I also ordered the "tests" that go with the book.

According to the books they are written for children who read below grade level.

What?

No wonder they looked so simple and easy.

Why would Sonlight even think about using them?

No Sonlight for me.

I decided to change my son's history program for 4th grade and after much searching thought I had decided on Sonlight (I think it was Core 4 or Core 3/4). It said they used The Story of the USA.

I did not want the whole Sonlight package so I just ordered The Story of the USA from EPS books.

I thought it looked overly simplistic (each chapter is about 1-1 1/2 pages) and then there were questions.

According to the books they are written for children who read below grade level.

What?

No Sonlight for me.

That's odd. I like their catalogue for the reading lists because they are usually challenging, but not overly so for the grade levels. Obviously, I wouldn't be interested in the books you mention, so I've never scoped them out for myself. Do they somehow mesh with the larger curriculum for that year? :confused:

I think they are a quick and easy way to explictly reinforce content that is given by the fiction readings. They are not below grade level for 3rd or 4th grade, imo. The PP has an excellent point--they are just one small part of the larger core, and they are not even the spine. Landmark is the spine, and it's challenging--more of a late elementary/middle school text, really.

My SL catalog is sitting here. When I peek at Core 3+4 (which I obviously don't need either), I see that the Story of the USA is meant to be read by the student. It is paired with the parent reading aloud The Landmark History of the American People, along with about 40 other read-alouds and readers. That might flesh things out a bit, lol.

The Story of the USA is reading comprehension for grades 4-8. While it would certainly be intervention/ remedial work for an 8th grader, it is used by SL in their cores 3, 4, and 3+4. SL core3 is the first/ lowest level SL core where the history, read-alouds, and readers all tied together. The Story of the USA workbooks are a very small part of the program and undoubtedly assist the young student in learning to mentally connect the different pieces of core 3 and 4 while transitioning from the younger cores.

HTH-

Mandy

What?

No Sonlight for me.

You aren't using Sonlight, so it seems unfair to criticize the entire core based on one component.

Edited by WordGirl

Absolutely right!

I purchased one part of the package to see what it was like.

And it was not my cup of tea.

Are you genuinely asking a question, as implied in your original thread title? If so, I'm happy to discuss. If you merely wanted to state the fact that you don't care for one small portion of SL, okee-doke.

I just don't see the point in using the book at all. Literally every chapter is at most 2 pages. There are so many better books to choose from.

Well, if you are reading cultural history via Boorstin, and history via If you Were There When They Signed the Constitution, and historical fiction read-aloud via Johnny Tremain, and your child is reading Phoebe the Spy, and your child is say 9yo and has never studied history in this format, then a couple of pages from Story of the USA may help tie everything together for them.

HTH-

Mandy

Are you genuinely asking a question, as implied in your original thread title? If so, I'm happy to discuss. If you merely wanted to state the fact that you don't care for one small portion of SL, okee-doke.

Uh oh. I think we are going into this territory......

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131337&highlight=threads

Why would I not "genuinely be asking a question"?

Absolutely right!

I purchased one part of the package to see what it was like.

And it was not my cup of tea.

You purchased something like 1/50th of the package. You are using it in a way that was never intended by SL. For example, at the end of core 4 there are some sections of Story of The USA that are heavily biased (about the feminist movement and other social issues). SL uses those sections as a lesson in author bias. You would never know that if you didn't read that section of the instructor guide.

That said, you could drop Story of the USA completely out of that core and I don't think you would miss much. Landmark is a VERY strong spine. I kept it when I sold the core because I just didn't want to part with it.

Why would I not "genuinely be asking a question"?

Because you just want to make a statement ~ which is a-okay, of course. But you originally asked a question. A number of people provided answers but it seems from your subsequent posts that you merely want to say you don't like the (work)book. So-o-o-o, what's your question?:)

You purchased something like 1/50th of the package. You are using it in a way that was never intended by SL.

At this point in the thread, I think the OP has no interest in hearing opinions, wants to bash a program for a silly reason, and have the last word in the thread (against Board rules actually).

At this point in the thread, I think the OP has no interest in hearing opinions, wants to bash a program for a silly reason, and have the last word in the thread (against Board rules actually).

That is the silliest thing ever. Lucky for me I have better things to spend my time doing then devising evil plots to get readers on the Well Trained Mind to not use Sonlight.

Were you this upset when someone complained months ago about an item being returned to Sonlight and Sonlight was giving them a hard time? Was there a public outcry over those posts? Or do I smell discrimination here. That could be against board rules also.

Where did I ever say I want to bash Sonlight?

I am sorry that your are taking my criticism of Sonlight so personally. Happy?

Does this post constitute breaking Board rules and bashing Sonlight?

I just don't see the point in using the book at all. Literally every chapter is at most 2 pages. There are so many better books to choose from.

We did Core 3, but I didn't like Story of the USA, so we dropped it. It was too workbook-y for me. However, we loved, loved the core overall. You really can't judge the whole core from something that's not even used every week. I doubt you would find any literature-based curriculum where you like and approve of every single book choice they have.

In my catalog, on p. 41 under the description of "The Landmark History of the American People, vols. 1 & 2" the text reads:

"Partially because his material is unfamiliar, but partially because he writes in a more mature fashion than most younger children are used to, we supplement Boorstin's book (and, if need be, encourage you to replace it for the first half of the year) with The Story of the USA books."

Note the term "supplement" in the description.

The description of the Story of the USA (same page): "Written simply enough for students to read on their own, these books give the outline of early American history from the pre-Columbian civilization to the present. Each chapter includes--besides the fascinating primary text--a list of vocabulary, a pronunciation guide, illustrations, and comprehension questions."

Note the term "outline" in the description.

So, for Sonlight, the Story of the USA is only ever intended to ease kids into the history book by Boorstin, to supplement Boorstin with vocabulary, reading comprehension, and an outline of the period. It is used alone *at most* only for the first half of the first year of a two year program for kids who have difficulty with the meatier main text.

Personally, we are not using Sonlight, though we are pulling a lot of the reader/read-aloud suggestions from cores 3 and 4 to supplement SOTW, though I think Sonlight sounds like a sound program. In addition to the extra readers, I also use the Story of the USA as a supplementary reinforcement for increasing the amount of American history. I like it for precisely the reasons given in Sonlight---vocabulary words, comprehension questions, she can read it independently (age 9), and I like the discussion questions. It is by no means a stand-alone American history program, but then it isn't intended to be.

In my catalog, on p. 41 under the description of "The Landmark History of the American People, vols. 1 & 2" the text reads:

"Partially because his material is unfamiliar, but partially because he writes in a more mature fashion than most younger children are used to, we supplement Boorstin's book (and, if need be, encourage you to replace it for the first half of the year) with The Story of the USA books."

Note the term "supplement" in the description.

The description of the Story of the USA (same page): "Written simply enough for students to read on their own, these books give the outline of early American history from the pre-Columbian civilization to the present. Each chapter includes--besides the fascinating primary text--a list of vocabulary, a pronunciation guide, illustrations, and comprehension questions."

Note the term "outline" in the description.

So, for Sonlight, the Story of the USA is only ever intended to ease kids into the history book by Boorstin, to supplement Boorstin with vocabulary, reading comprehension, and an outline of the period. It is used alone *at most* only for the first half of the first year of a two year program for kids who have difficulty with the meatier main text.

Personally, we are not using Sonlight, though we are pulling a lot of the reader/read-aloud suggestions from cores 3 and 4 to supplement SOTW, though I think Sonlight sounds like a sound program. In addition to the extra readers, I also use the Story of the USA as a supplementary reinforcement for increasing the amount of American history. I like it for precisely the reasons given in Sonlight---vocabulary words, comprehension questions, she can read it independently (age 9), and I like the discussion questions. It is by no means a stand-alone American history program, but then it isn't intended to be.

Very well said.

I don't think you are grasping what the others are saying -- the book you chose is meant to give the child experience answering textbook type questions. It is a small part of a very detailed and well thought out program! I understand that you wanted to see what it was like, but perhaps you would be better off looking at an actual lesson plan for that C.O.R.E. It isn't fair to judge a program by one small part of it. You wouldn't judge a spelling program by only teaching and testing every 10th word would you?

I don't use Sonlight myself, but a dear friend has used it for years and I know it is very in-depth and advanced. Her two older boys graduated high school with Applied Science Degrees from the local college. They were very well prepared for early entry exams at 16 years old! While Sonlight isn't for me (I like putting together my own) and it may not be for you, It isn't fair to publically badmouth the program based on one very small part of the program. IMHO

As others have said, Sonlight uses reading materials below, at, and well above grade level. That is actually my very favorite thing about the program. When a concept is presented in different forms, and at different levels of difficulty, I find it really sticks. Besides, SL is a LOT of reading. If it were all a mental stretch, you'd burn out two months in. I feel that the SOTUSA books are used as as checkpoints to make sure the student isn't missing those big bullet points.

We used the Story of the USA as 'assigned' in the TG. It provided a simple way to sum things up. The main text is challenging, and Story of the USA provided quick, accessible review and the chance to do some 'work-booky' questions.

We also liked the discussion questions at the end of each section.

I can see where you may think the program was lousy if all you saw was Story of the USA, however. But, that would be like going to Disneyland and never making it past Main Street. ;)

If you're interested, take a look at the sample Teacher's Guide pages on the Sonlight website. Those would give you a clear idea of how the various (and many!) books are used and scheduled.

That's odd. I like their catalogue for the reading lists because they are usually challenging, but not overly so for the grade levels. Obviously, I wouldn't be interested in the books you mention, so I've never scoped them out for myself. Do they somehow mesh with the larger curriculum for that year? :confused:

Yes, they do. (That's why there are 40 or so books in a typical Sonlight Core.)

If you only look at Core 4, you've missed the REAL spine that is the Landmark book sold with Core 3. They don't list it with Core 4 (It is listed under the "required resources tab.), but it is used. The SotUAS books are only one or two days of a five day week on average. You can skip them and not miss a thing.

was too simple. Older dd,using core 3 for third grade, was reading Hakim's history books too at the same time. But when I needed something for younger dd to use for 3rd grade american history I decided to go with Story of the USA for my history spine because it is so basic that it isn't overwhelming (we also use SOTW). I think it depends on the child. Not every child needs or wants the amount of history that Sonlight tucks into cores 3 and 4. After doing core 3, older dd begged not to do Sonlight the next year. The overwhelming focus on american history burnt her out. Now, with younger dd, I pick and choose the books that I feel she will enjoy and learn the most from now. There will be time later for her to read some of the harder books.

Not every child needs or wants the amount of history that Sonlight tucks into cores 3 and 4.

There you have it in a nutshell. Sometimes enough really is enough.

I encourage my 9 yo to write out complete sentence answers to the questions in the SotUSA books, and as she goes along we discuss how the same topics are covered in the other books we're reading.