Menu

Reformed Curriculum Addicts, Unite!!

Okay, my dh has insisted I reform my curriculum addict ways thus reclaiming all the time and money I spend online and at our local homeschool store perusing/trying all the wonderful curriculum options.

SNIFF!!! I like looking around and piecing our plan. Will I feel like a 'real' homeschooler still? Doesn't he enjoy listening to me go on and on about all the different options for each and every subject? Not to mention my late/early hours of lesson planning every week?

He insists we go with a full provider. So fellow RCA's, what are my choices? I need secular. I have looked at K12 and Calvert/Verticy. Moving Beyond the Page and Oak Meadow are not what he or I have in mind. I need something more to research!!!

<DH - Oh no she Doesn't!!!!!>

Or maybe help me decide between K12 or Calvert/Verticy.

Edited by Guest

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Great Books. DH just looked at it and frowned....not a good sign. hmmm....Time4Learning? Too game-like and 'fluffy'.

Secular BJU?

I used k12 about five years ago for third grade. The program was very good, but expensive! Back then they had partial scholarships available so we could just manage it, but they did away with them the next year AND raised the prices. I know many homeschoolers have problems with folks who take advantage of their free virtual charter, but I think I'd be first in line if I lived in a "free k12 state". If you don't, I can't imagine how much curriculum you'd have to be buying to be spending more than what you'd spend with them. Well, okay, maybe I can imagine a little too well :) At least we addicts get a variety, and are allowed to resell most of it. K12 has a VERY strict "no-resale" policy which they enforce.

Oh, and as for Time4Learning, I have tried but fail to feel the love for this program. For my then 5th grader, it was too easy, and for my preK/K'er, they didn't offer social studies or science at her level, just math and phonics. Well, Starfall is free, Click n' Read was around $30 through Homeschool Co-op and you get to keep it forever, sell it, give it away, whatever. Math games aren't hard to come by. I just didn't get $20 a month per child out of it, but of course YMMV. You don't say your children's ages but I haven't personally seen an age where this could be considered a full curriculum. Just my opinion, of course.

My kiddos are 13, almost 11, 5, 4 and 15mos. The younger 2 are ready for very basic Kinder, not ready for learning to read quite yet. And we LOVE starfall.com here!

LOL when I first saw the thread I thought it was for people addicted to reformed theology curriculum. i was thinking veritas, CLP and covenant home:)

I've looked at Texas Tech university's program and it looks really interesting. I'm not sure you really would be saving money, but at least you would have to plan. I don't know anyone who uses it.

Oh, and one more thing about k12's customer service. Like I said, we were using them "on scholarship" in 2004-2005. I fully planned on repurchasing from them in September of 2005, but a couple things changed my mind. First, they didn't inform me until July that they would not be renewing my partial scholarship, since they had eliminated the program and restructured their pricing into a (more expensive) subscription format. That didn't give me much time to find a solution. Secondly, on August 29th, 2005, we lost everything, including our apartment and all our new curriculum, in Hurricane Katrina. We had evacuated to Memphis (where we remain), and one thing we did have was access to a laptop and a few of our old k12 books. We still had lessons we hadn't completed, so I contacted k12 to ask if they could possibly just extend the access I had for a couple months(it had ended about a week before), until I could get on my feet, find a place to live, replace my curriculum, etc. No books or anything, just access to the online lessons I had before, so my little girl could have something to do to make her life a little more normal. I emailed them three times. I got one autoresponse saying they'd received my email and someone would get back with me. No one ever got back with me. Now, I realize they didn't owe me a thing, but they could have at least replied to my request.

I still think it's good curriculum, though. Just a heads-up.

What about just following TWTM? It's not "curriculum in a box", per se, but if you pick resources from her list of suggestions for each subject and follow the "plan", you'd basically have curriculum-in-a-box. The pieces of curriculum inside the box would just be from different publishers, that's all.

Calvert is really "schooly" and not all that great, considering how much you pay for it, IMO. I second the WTM recommendation. It's really difficult to find an all in one provider that has good quality across the board. Usually each will have strengths and weaknesses, like K12 is good but expensive, and they have good quality history but their music program is awful.

Maybe Accelerated Achievement? I can't recall how much religion is involved, but your husband might let you add some extra subjects on the side since you wouldn't be spending anything after the initial purchase if you use it for several years.

I also ran across Core Curriculum of America, but I know nothing about it other than it is supposed to be secular.

It's also possible to use Sonlight secularly, as well.

Oh yes, we enthusiastically use Sonlight secularly with my 13yo dd! There's a secular Sonlight yahoo group, in fact. I only buy the core and always buy used, though. This year I bought core 6 IG and the history spine books. Everything else I go to the library for. I substitute some of the religious, easy, boring books with appropriate YA historical fiction from the library. Also PLATO science, NatGeo experiment kit, Videotext Algebra, Writing Strands, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Netflix (mostly on demand) videos, and Easy Grammar (we hate this, suggestions?) and more library books. I know it sounds crazy, and like a lot of work, but it's not. I bought every single thing used except the PLATO science which is cheap through Homeschool Co-op and the experiment kit which is cheap in general, and the Netflix which we already have. My local library has internet hold, so all I have to do is place a hold online and go pick up the book from the front desk in about 2 days.I spent about $400 for her for the year, which I think is very reasonable.

For the little one (dd4) we have a used copy of FIAR a used copy of My World Science that we use loosely. We use starfall.com, Click 'n' Read phonics, funschool.com, an old copy of What your Kindergartener needs to know, Math manipulatives, tangram and pattern block books, a used copy of Saxon K, and second-hand Singapore and Horizons K workbooks, HWT K, a used copy of Mudpies and Magnets, and a well-used library card. The excellent, wooden upgrade manipulative set was a very reasonable $76 through Rainbow Resource and will last throughout her primary years. Everything else was about $125 and some of it will last through next year.

Granted, I do have shelves full of mistakes. Most of them were not expensive, a few were. I would definitely say I am a full-fledged curriculum junkie, and I'm not sure I can be reformed completely. I have, however, learned a few lessons along the way. I don't buy new, I no longer feel the need to own or even USE every book in a curriculum. I finally know for sure that what I'm using works for us. I still buy way too much, but now I buy a box full of pattern block books or Critical Thinking books for $20 instead of the sparkly new latest (unproven) curriculum for $500.

I use Sonlight secularly as well. (I would love to hear more about the yahoo group.) :) We had a really bad experience with K12. I have hundreds of dollars of their workbooks laying around. I really liked the SL guarentee when I decided to try it, I am now a convert. We also love PLATO science.

Edited by melmichigan

Wow! I just want to give you major kudos for having a sense of humor about it. I think I'd slip into a depression... no kidding.

Practically speaking, as a pp or two suggested, I think I'd look at Sonlight. They have a high resale value and/or you could build a great personal library.The rest are awfully "schoolish" as others have pointed out. Of course I like the Biblical aspect, but have heard many successes of people secularizing it.

Hope you'll find "The One" that fits you and yours!:)

Let us know what you decide, please.

Edited by angela&4boys

Have you looked at Livingbooks curriculum? A friend of mine uses it and you could tweak it to be more secular. It has more of a classical/Charlotte Mason flair than some of the others.

Good luck, I hope you and your family can find something that works well for everyone!

Jesi

LOL when I first saw the thread I thought it was for people addicted to reformed theology curriculum. i was thinking veritas, CLP and covenant home:)

I've looked at Texas Tech university's program and it looks really interesting. I'm not sure you really would be saving money, but at least you would have to plan. I don't know anyone who uses it.

That's exactly what I thought LOL!!

I'm sorry. We'll miss you. ;)

Honestly, I just couldn't stick with a one-size-fits-all program. It would take the fun out of homeschooling. I've got to have at least one hobby in life. :)

Wow! I just want to give you major kudos for having a sense of humor about it. I think I'd slip into a depression... no kidding.

Hope you'll find "The One" that fits you and yours!:)

Let us know what you decide, please.

:iagree: You have a great attitude!! I think I would cry. Do let us know what the final decision is.

Does he realize that won't save money? What about coming up with a plan (list of books, etc) and having him agree with it then sticking to it?

:iagree:I think to use something like k12 or calvert will cost more. What if for each subject you find something that you can stick with for the long haul or at least like all elementary and then all middle school and then all highschool. It would take a little research, but then once you decide you don't change or research until they are about to enter the new phase. I think that is harder to do secular though. I guess you could do Sonlight history, Noeo Science those are the 2 I can think of that are easitly secular and have programs that go into the upper grades. There is Trisms too. Have you looked at that? It starts in I think 5th at the earliest.

I just wanted to add that my dh doesn't really like to hear about curriculum as much as I like talking about it:D My solution is I have curriculum journals. So I journal about things I find and weigh the pros and cons and all that in my journal. That cuts down on the amount of taking I do with dh about the curriculum. Also I tutor in the evening and that is where my curriculum money comes from so he doesn't say anything about my purchases.

Have you looked at Livingbooks curriculum? A friend of mine uses it and you could tweak it to be more secular. It has more of a classical/Charlotte Mason flair than some of the others.

Good luck, I hope you and your family can find something that works well for everyone!

Jesi

I was going to suggest this, as it would be one I would use if I had to go with a boxed curriculum. I also like the looks of WinterPromise.

I'm still in recovery mode... :glare:

I've found Sonlight getting harder and harder to use in a secular way. We basically had to ditch the IG completely in order to do it... I only use the schedule now.

Next year we're moving to Oak Meadow, which is secular, complete, and a lot cheaper than SL. I know I'll be adding some books and tweaking just a little, but I kinda like that!

Thanks to you all. On further reflection on ya'lls suggestions:

K12: Customer service is horrible. I asked if their courses progress in difficulty from 5th-8th and was told no, they don't. 5th history/science is just as demanding as 8th. This is to give the Virtual Schools a choice in how they use the curriculum. So they are asking a 5th grader to comprehend/perform like an 8th grader!? Yep. No thanks. I would have to watch dog mine to be sure they were actually doing the work and not surfing. I guess I still hold that schooling should come from books, not a computer screen.

Calvert: Well, I have a love/hate thing with them. I love their Edu. Counselers, Fin. Aid, ATS, and the TM. I don't like most of the lit. study selections for the upper grades, the math, or most of the lang. arts. I have tried 1st-3rd before, Discoveries in Music, both Discoveries in Science kits and CHOW with the workbook and not been too pleased with any of it. My guys enjoyed the readers and science books more when I just handed them over. Too much busywork. BUT my guys liked knowing ahead of time when the day would end.

Verticy: The major appeal of this one is the grammar/composition part which is available separately. I like the book they have chosen for the level my guys placed at.The 'core' is Calvert Scholastic repackaged with all the lang arts parts removed.

My biggest worry is how am I going to teach 4, yes, 4 different Calvert/Verticy levels and still retain my sanity? 7th, 5th, K, and PreK. plus the baby. And niether of my oldest work independantly.

Oak Meadow: I have OM 4 sitting on my shelf. Anyone need/want it? I have the syllabus (2005 color), teacher's book (2007), and Indian Legends.

That said, we tried OM5 earlier this year for about a week. It lacked depth. My guys laughed at the 'science' but balked at all the freaking writing they had to do. I couldn't reasonably work with both on every assignment. I did not feel OM prepared the child well before asking them to do say, a research paper. There is no way my oldest could handle the level of logical thinking the 7th grade required. I really wanted to love it. My second son did. I like the projects and choices.

Sonlight: I have looked at it over the years and just felt it wasn't for us every time.

All of these choices take all day and I feel like I need to at least play with my younger set. I guess I just need to suck it up and choose. I would like to be able to teach the older two together (this is possible because #2 is gifted and does #1's work anyway!) and the younger two together. We are a bit worried that the older is not going to be ready for HS in 2 yrs. I think mine also have a serious illusion about what school should be...easy. I guess what my dh, and me, to an extent, feel is that by using a 'boxed' curriculum, they will get a massive reality check. I have chosen and ordered CLE 300 math for them, though!;)

Edited by Guest

We are a bit worried that the older is not going to be ready for HS in 2 yrs. I think mine also have a serious illusion about what school should be...easy. I guess what my dh, and me, to an extent, feel is that by using a 'boxed' curriculum, they will get a massive reality check.

My boys had the same illusion. We signed up for two VP live online classes this year & it's been a fantastic reality check.... for the boys AND for me! The boys see what is expected of fourth graders. Every other student in the class is doing the work. They're learning to manage their time. They're starting to be more serious about work vs playing all day.

_I_'ve discovered that I have been spoonfeeding them way too much. I'm amazed, and proud, of what they can do.

A live, on-line class might be just the thing for your boys, too.

K12: Customer service is horrible. I asked if their courses progress in difficulty from 5th-8th and was told no, they don't. 5th history/science is just as demanding as 8th. This is to give the Virtual Schools a choice in how they use the curriculum. So they are asking a 5th grader to comprehend/perform like an 8th grader!? Yep. No thanks. I would have to watch dog mine to be sure they were actually doing the work and not surfing. I guess I still hold that schooling should come from books, not a computer screen.

Okay, I am allergic to boxed curriculum and have never used K12, nor have any intention to... but that said, i was under the impression that much of their courses at this level was off-line (ie real books)? I'm going to use their history texts for middle school (just the texts, not the course), and the texts at least are excellent.

I still don't think a boxed curriculum will save you money over pick and choose... (did I mention I'm allergic? ;))

That is part of the appeal of Calvert/Verticy. The boys can have an outside teacher to report to and meet a standard for. Sometimes, it is nice to be just Mom.

Edited by Guest

You know, I started obsessing over curriculum when I was pregnant with DD (having made the decision to homeschool LONG before actually having children).

By the time she was in K, I had a pretty good idea of what curricula I was going to use. A package deal was NOT in the picture. But at the same time, I have a pretty solid idea of what we're going to use for the next several years. No research or obsession needed, and I'm certainly not tempted to spend money I don't have.

I think being poor cured me.:tongue_smilie:

I think that a boxed curriculum is so limiting AND really expensive on the front end. Especially as a lot of what they include are books you can borrow from the library, purchase used or purchase for less than they "sell" it for. I can see it's appeal, though. I also feel that it cannot accomodate every part of each child.

Just my opinion!

Can you find out a ballpark price for most boxed curriculum and agree that that is how much you budget for each child? The you spend a certain amount of time doing research and deciding on what you want etc... then see how much you can save? That might change his mind. But if it is not specifically about $$ but having an outside framework.... :) eek.

Keep in mind it is harder to find a boxed curriculum that is secular, that is not made for a classroom. In the future, I am sure that will change, but right now it is a bit bleak.

I know that I like Toni's "the examined life" she has all the weeks laid out for science, art, music and american History you can follow that and throw in your math and other subjects. Hers is free, you just join her list (in her sig line). Combine that with Ambleside, buy a few math and grammar books, and holey moley! you have an almost free curriculum. You can put it all in one box and place it on the porch in the morning. :)

Will I feel like a 'real' homeschooler still?

Trust me. When you reach the point in your homeschool journey where you finally stop spending more time researching than teaching, you start to feel more like a homeschooler. That could be with a "box" or it could be just picking something for each subject and sticking with it.

I say try a year with a "box" and show him you've reformed, and then maybe he will let you pick what you want for next year. :D

Thanks, ladies. What I have decided so far is CLE for math, K12 for Advanced Earth Science, Verticy for Gram/Comp, and OM for the rest. How's that for a nice mix?

• 4 months later...

I just read over this thread and had to resurrect it. What a load of excellent advice you gave me.

What I said above as my choice is not what we did. Isn't that funny? I slapped the older 2 in calvert 4th and 6th and the younger in Calvert PreK.

The PreK lasted about 2 weeks. They were way too advanced.

Calvert 6 comp. lasted through the first big assignment for the oldest one. he was completely lost. Now he is using younger brother's comp, and sad (or maybe not), to say, he is doing okay with writing for the first time EVER! I should have put him in Verticy 6th. oh well.

Second child is bored silly in all but comp.. As improvement in that one area was my goal for him, I am happy. He has now gone from 5 sentence paragraphs to writing 4 paragraph essays in a few months time. Did I say I was happy?

Math with CLE is wonderful! I will never switch again.

So thank you again for all the advice. Oh...and my dh is open to pick and choosing for the second child on down for next year!! Yeah!

K12 all the way!!! I used Calvert for to long and found there were so many gaps in certain subjects. K12 is the most complete non Christian program I've used. The only draw back is its expensive to buy. Though I do know of families who use their income tax to use it. We use it through a cyberschool and its NOT the way to go. The extra public school stuff really takes away from the joy of using the curriculum. If I could afford to use it on my own I would do away with cyberschooling in a heart beat. Not that we don't have great teachers we do. But the testing to death for state testing is getting ridiculous.

Calvert is getting just as expensive and you don't nearly get as good as a curriculum as K12 that's for sure.