Menu

Hey Chicago -- you just saved million & millions of dollars!

I fail to see how this is a good thing? It is yet another example of how we are the laughingstock of the global community.

In general, Olympics end up costing the host country millions.

I don't think our country can afford to lose any more money.

In this case, we can laugh all the way to the bank.

If this is true, I'm very sorry for Chicago.

Hosting the Olympics was a wonderful experience for us here in Los Angeles, and as Phred rightly pointed out, the games didn't cost the city money, they made money.

Traffic flowed amazingly well, in a city where congestion is a problem in normal times.

And beyond that there was an "Olympic Spirit" that was wonderful to experience first-hand.

So I'm sorry for the people of Chicago, I was rooting for you.

Bill

If this is true, I'm very sorry for Chicago.

Hosting the Olympics was a wonderful experience for us here in Los Angeles, and as Phred rightly pointed out, the games didn't cost the city money, they made money.

Traffic flowed amazingly well, in a city where congestion is a problem in normal times.

And beyond that there was an "Olympic Spirit" that was wonderful to experience first-hand.

So I'm sorry for the people of Chicago, I was rooting for you.

Bill

:iagree: as someone who was living in another Olympic city (Atlanta). There can be (and are) many benefits to hosting the Olympics.

"If there is one Olympic city for Chicago to emulate, it would be Atlanta. The city's $1.7 billion privately funded Summer Games in 1996 sparked a construction boom in the city's downtown core and, according to the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, generated $5 billion in economic activity, including $1.8 billion in hotel, residential and commercial construction. What's more, the city found long-term uses for its Olympic venues, transferring the Olympic stadium and village to the Atlanta Braves and Georgia State University, respectively. "The Olympics gave Atlanta a tremendous boost in commerce," says Sam Williams, president of the Metro Atlanta Chamber. "We become a global city, not just the capital of the South." However, critics say Atlanta got too caught up in the idea of making the Olympics self-funding. As a result, it missed out on state and federal money that could have paid for upgrades to neighborhoods and sewage systems." (from http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1926505,00.html)

As one who lives fairly close to the Chicago metro area (within 1 hr drive) I was hoping they would get the Olympics. I was looking forward to the boost it would give our local economy from rooms rented, restaurants visited, to local construction workers hired to build. Was also looking forward to maybe hosting some far flung friends who would want to come visit. What an amazing opportunity for my children to see the hoopla first hand. Not that we could afford to attend any events, but being at the outskirts of such a global event is a once in a lifetime learning experience. As a family, we have loved watching the Olympics, and knowing that it was taking place in our backyard would add to the excitement.

Sooner or later fiscal responsiblity should trump "feel good" experiences. I'm willing to bet most people in other countries know what we're still denying. We're broke.

The Games in Los Angeles and Atlanta benefited our cities. They were not only fiscally responsible, but they brought economic growth.

On top of that was the wonderful experience of having the Olympics take place in ones hometown. So it was a "win" on every front.

Congratulations Rio. I was rooting for Chicago, but I hope you enjoy 2016 as much as I enjoyed 1984.

Bill

The Games in Los Angeles and Atlanta benefited our cities. They were not only fiscally responsible, but they brought economic growth.

On top of that was the wonderful experience of having the Olympics take place in ones hometown. So it was a "win" on every front.

Congratulations Rio. I was rooting for Chicago, but I hope you enjoy 2016 as much as I enjoyed 1984.

Bill

We lived in San Diego at the time and it was very exciting stuff!

It is yet another example of how we are the laughingstock of the global community.

Why do you think this?

Are the other contending cities (that don't get to host the Olympics) the laughingstock of the global community?

I'm trying to understand how we went from contender to laughingstock.

The 1984 Olympics were great for Los Angeles. Didn't end up costing them a cent and brought in millions. But, I'm willing to bet most of you posting here were listening to FOX News the last few days while they ranted about what a bad idea this was. Mainly because Obama thought it was a good idea.

Actually, Phred, I've been watching reruns of last year's Stanley Cup on the NHL network the last few days. Then I watched the opening night of the NHL last night.

This was in between managing the household and educating the children and making Himself happy. ;)

Bill

Both LA and Atlanta had numerous corporate sponors who footed the bill for large stadiums and other venues. Which corporations should we have looked to for the needed investments? If they'd accepted TARP or other government funding, how could they justify spending millions on Olympic venues? No the tax payers of Chicago and the USA would have been left footing the larger part of the bill. I guess we could call it another "stimulus", but I would rather just pass this time.

We lived in San Diego at the time and it was very exciting stuff!

I actually worked on the Olympics, and edited the videos shown on the big screens during the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. It was a pretty heady experience for a young 26 year-old who was just at the beginning of his professional career.

All the memories I have of those times were highly positive. And despite all the "nay-sayers" who predicted the games would mean disaster for the city, when they were over I didn't know a single person who felt they were anything but a wonderful experience for our city.

I'm sorry Chicago lost the chance to host the 2016 games.

Bill

Both LA and Atlanta had numerous corporate sponors who footed the bill for large stadiums and other venues. Which corporations should we have looked to for the needed investments? If they'd accepted TARP or other government funding, how could they justify spending millions on Olympic venues? No the tax payers of Chicago and the USA would have been left footing the larger part of the bill. I guess we could call it another "stimulus", but I would rather just pass this time.

While I understand the frustration with the current economy, your post really is just pure conjecture based upon that frustration, isn't it?

Actually Phred, I was reading news that is actually from Chicago about how many there DON'T want the Olympics.

Melissa, I remember clearly that here were a significant number of people here in Los Angeles that didn't want the Olympics here. Who thought it would be an absolute disaster.

And when the games concluded I met no one who felt the games were anything but a triumph, and a wonderful experience for our city.

Bill

While I understand the frustration with the current economy, your post really is just pure conjecture based upon that frustration, isn't it?

Ummm, let's see. Is it "conjecture" to wonder if those evil corporate sponors are willing or even able to cough of the investment capital and financing needed to build the large venues in the current economy? Conjecture? Really? No. It's a obvious question that should have been one of the first asked of anyone in favor of hosting the Olympics in Chicago.

Haven't looked through all the posts, but I have a feeling it has less to do with the fact that it was Chicago, than the fact that so many of the recent games have been in North America since 1960:

1960 Winter: Squaw Valley, CA

1968 Summer: Mexico City

1976 Summer: Montreal

1980 Winter: Lake Placid, NY

1984 Summer: Los Angeles

1988 Winter: Calgary, AB

1996 Summer: Atlanta

2002 Winter: Salt Lake City

2010 Winter: Vancouver, BC

Denver has tried numerous times unsuccessfully, as has Seattle. Chicago shouldn't take it personally, and I really don't think it's THAT big of a deal that they didn't get it. I am an huge Olympic fan, too, and was able to attend several events in SLC in 2002 as my husband was posted at Hill AFB at the time. Traffic was snarled, but honestly, not a nightmare. The security was kind of ridiculous as they let some things pass, and others not (is was so soon after 9/11).

I'm really going to regret asking....why? Do they rip it off..cut it off??/ I'm imagining really gruesome stuff now...

However, I don't ever actually wear jewlery..not even my wedding ring ( I think I remember where it is though)...

All of the above. One of my friends nearly lost a finger. Rio is not a safe city. I was kinda rooting for Madrid. :D

I agree that our country is currently in a different position than it was at the time we hosted previous games. I wish it weren't so, but Stacy makes a valid point.

I'm certain that the host city benefits in the "during" stage, with an infusion of tourist dollars, and perhaps in the "before" stages, when many locals may be put to work in construction projects related to the games.

My concern is for the "after" phase. Are one-purpose infrastructure improvements going to see continued use? Many previous game sites - that cost millions of dollars - are not profitably used again. Are the costs of such improvements covered by profits from the games, or is there a lasting tax burden placed on the local population? Does a previously undeveloped area quickly rise to developed and just as quickly plummet into blight?

Are these acceptable tradeoffs? Just wondering. I'd love to see some statistics on this. Anybody got a link?

I am also curious about the total costs of lobbying for this event. Okay, maybe that's a question spurred on by conservative news commentators, but as a taxpayer, I'd like to know.

I love Rio. I'm glad they got it. The location is much more timely for a globe learning to appreciate green. The natural landmarks are fascinating and there's no need to manufacture artificial attractions. As I heard the news, I closed my eyes and imagined myself standing out at the window of my room on Copacabana Beach, looking out at the celebrating crowd (totally exhuberant - Brazilians are nothing if not exhuberant...).

And, hopefully, more charitable eyes will be opened to the daily plight of those living in the favellas skirting the city.

Just my pair o' pennies.

Ummm, let's see. Is it "conjecture" to wonder if those evil corporate sponors are willing or even able to cough of the investment capital and financing needed to build the large venues in the current economy? Conjecture? Really? No. It's a obvious question that should have been one of the first asked of anyone in favor of hosting the Olympics in Chicago.

Vancouver is in big financial straits over the upcoming winter games. I think we're $37 million short right now.

There was all this hubbub over 3P projects & how it wasn't going to cost the taxpayer, nay, it wasn't just going to be revenue neutral, it was going to be a gain!

Except now the privates have bailed, the IOC is having a hard time securing the top tier major corporate sponsors, the city is hugely in debt already, the province & the feds are kicking in money......all courtesy of the taxpayer. At a time when governments are short on cash to provide essential services such as health care and policing, it does not feel good to be spending on the olympics.

I WAS excited about the olympics coming here a long time ago but as time has gone on, my enthusiasm has waned considerably. I don't think we'll be going to any events either - we'll just watch on tv. Ticket prices are too insane.

I agree that our country is currently in a different position than it was at the time we hosted previous games. I wish it weren't so, but Stacy makes a valid point.

I'm certain that the host city benefits in the "during" stage, with an infusion of tourist dollars, and perhaps in the "before" stages, when many locals may be put to work in construction projects related to the games.

My concern is for the "after" phase. Are one-purpose infrastructure improvements going to see continued use? Many previous game sites - that cost millions of dollars - are not profitably used again. Are the costs of such improvements covered by profits from the games, or is there a lasting tax burden placed on the local population? Does a previously undeveloped area quickly rise to developed and just as quickly plummet into blight?

Are these acceptable tradeoffs? Just wondering. I'd love to see some statistics on this. Anybody got a link?

I am also curious about the total costs of lobbying for this event. Okay, maybe that's a question spurred on by conservative news commentators, but as a taxpayer, I'd like to know.

I love Rio. I'm glad they got it. The location is much more timely for a globe learning to appreciate green. The natural landmarks are fascinating and there's no need to manufacture artificial attractions. As I heard the news, I closed my eyes and imagined myself standing out at the window of my room on Copacabana Beach, looking out at the celebrating crowd (totally exhuberant - Brazilians are nothing if not exhuberant...).

And, hopefully, more charitable eyes will be opened to the daily plight of those living in the favellas skirting the city.

Just my pair o' pennies.

Nice post.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Economic Impacts of Olympic Games

The long term effects are admittedly more ephemeral than the short term ones, and, if you look on page 3, you'll notice that, at least in the case of Chicago, many would be doubtful due to the current state of the US economy.

a

Los Angeles hosted the games in 1932, at the height of the depression. People needed work (then as now) and the investment in our infrastructure remains and serves us to this day.

The 1984 games were held in the same Memorial Coliseum that was built for the 1932 games, and this stadium has been well-used for 77 years.

I hope that by 2016 the world-wide economic situation will be vastly improved. But when times are down investing in a city's infrastructure creates jobs, stimulate the local economy and lays a foundation for the future prosperity.

Chicago would have emerged a better and more prosperous place had they won their bid to host the games. The celebration of their loss of the bid is, to my mind, not well thought through.

Bill

Los Angeles hosted the games in 1932, at the height of the depression. People needed work (then as now) and the investment in our infrastructure remains and serves us to this day.

The 1984 games were held in the same Memorial Coliseum that was built for the 1932 games, and this stadium has been well-used for 77 years.

I hope that by 2016 the world-wide economic situation will be vastly improved. But when times are down investing in a city's infrastructure creates jobs, stimulate the local economy and lays a foundation for the future prosperity.

Chicago would have emerged a better and more prosperous place had they won their bid to host the games. The celebration of their loss of the bid is, to my mind, not well thought through.

Bill

It seems to me that LA did a lot of things right...re-using existing venues and updating them was financially judicious.

I live in Chicago. I was dreading it, honestly. But purely for a selfish traffic and mayhem reason.

When the games were here (before the games were here) even those looking forward to the games were in a bit of a panic that there would be "grid-lock". I t was almost a "given" that traffic would be horrendous.

But to everyones surprise, traffic never flowed better. Anyone who lived her at the time will attest to that. I don't know that "traffic flow" is guaranteed when you get the games, but here in 1984, it felt like a "miracle."

Bill

It seems to me that LA did a lot of things right...re-using existing venues and updating them was financially judicious.

No doubt. And Chicago (like Los Angeles) is a city with much of the infrastructure necessary to hold the games already in place. The city would have benefited from building on what they have, but they would not have been building from "scratch."

Bill

If the Olympics had been awarded to Chicago, maybe it would've been a good incentive to get their atrocious freeway system in order! Good grief...I never really want to drive through or around that city again until it's straightened out.

:lol: What's your complaint? Other than the 4 Chicago seasons of road construction, road construction, road construction, and winter...

I'm really going to regret asking....why? Do they rip it off..cut it off??/ I'm imagining really gruesome stuff now...

However, I don't ever actually wear jewlery..not even my wedding ring ( I think I remember where it is though)...

Local bad guys have been known to remove body parts for quick access to jewelry...

But to everyones surprise, traffic never flowed better. Anyone who lived her at the time will attest to that. I don't know that "traffic flow" is guaranteed when you get the games, but here in 1984, it felt like a "miracle."

Same w/ Atlanta (almost as well-known as LA for traffic/commuting problems).

It was kind of eerie how clear/easy the roads were, lol.

I live in Chicago. I was dreading it, honestly. But purely for a selfish traffic and mayhem reason.

When the games were in Atlanta, we had no traffic at all... nada... none! It was amazing. People actually got out of their cars, took mass transit, car-pooled, used bikes, their feet, etc. The highways were empty. It was a sight to behold.

:lol: What's your complaint? Other than the 4 Chicago seasons of road construction, road construction, road construction, and winter...

We had heard rumors about how bad going through the metro area was, but didn't really believe it until we experienced it! What looks like a 30 minute drive on a map took us almost THREE HOURS with a screaming hungry 2.5 yo and 5 mo. We ended up eating at that McDonald's over the freeway :auto:. I was kind of mad because Chicago is so known for its wonderful food, and we're at a McDonalds. Over a freeway!!!!

Same w/ Atlanta (almost as well-known as LA for traffic/commuting problems).

It was kind of eerie how clear/easy the roads were, lol.

When the games were in Atlanta, we had no traffic at all... nada... none! It was amazing. People actually got out of their cars, took mass transit, car-pooled, used bikes, their feet, etc. The highways were empty. It was a sight to behold.

I didn't know Atlanta had the same experience.

It was funny, after the 1984 games, many of "the grumps" who opposed them most vigorously joked that they wanted them to come back full-time :D

Bill

I think this is what you're looking for:

Economic Impacts of Olympic Games

The long term effects are admittedly more ephemeral than the short term ones, and, if you look on page 3, you'll notice that, at least in the case of Chicago, many would be doubtful due to the current state of the US economy.

a

Thanks, Asta! This is a good summary in answer to my wonderings. While it's obvious that Atlanta benefitted from their turn with the games, I suppose I still have my doubts about the long-term debt burden that Chicago may have earned. Not that I wish it on Rio, but it is my opinion that this is not a time for the US to be making another toss of the dice, fiscally speaking.

Yup - and maybe this will take Daley down a peg or two. We were rooting for Rio all along out here in the suburbs!!!!

PS - I was in Westwood (UCLA) during the summer of 1984 - we had the torch go by our apartment building, the Marathon go by us at the beach...and the entrance to the athlete village at the UCLA dorms was across the street from our apartment, too! We blared some Creedence Clearwater one night to amuse the passersby. A friend got to be one of the piano players in either the opening or closing ceremonies - forget which it was. Lots of interesting folks wandering campus and Westwood sightseeing, too.

Edited by JFSinIL

Well, I don't know anything about the costs involved and how that all plays out for a host city, but I would have been worried about the security issues. I'm just a big 'fraidy cat.:) Would this have been the first Olympics in the US after 9/11? I'm thinking it might have been a nightmare along those lines. Maybe not - but I would have been afraid to go myself.

Well, I don't know anything about the costs involved and how that all plays out for a host city, but I would have been worried about the security issues. I'm just a big 'fraidy cat.:) Would this have been the first Olympics in the US after 9/11? I'm thinking it might have been a nightmare along those lines. Maybe not - but I would have been afraid to go myself.

It would have been the first "Summer Games" post 9/11/01, but there were "Winter Games" in Salt Lake City in 2002.

Bill