Menu

What to do with a bag of lentils?

I need a kidfriendly, no- or low-meat recipe for lentils. Something that is tried and tested in your home.

I've got a no-mushroom kid and several no-potato-in-soup kids. Only last year did introduce our second homemade soup into the family -- a vegetable beef soup. Prior to that, my kids were pretty picky about homemade soups.

Thanks!

i make lentils once a week. but, im allergic (got it as an adult one day, not sure how) so i dont eat them. but i soak over night, and BOIL for a long time. then very finly cop red pepper and onion. saute that when the lentils are almost out of water(in another pot) , add that to the lentils, keep stiring, check the salt and eat it as a side.

I make it like this:

Chop up one onion and a couple cloves of garlic and cook in a little oil. Throw in the lentils (I never measure anything - I just dump!). Dump in veggie broth (I make my own, but canned or even bullion would work fine). Cook for a while - until lentils are soft - maybe 45 minutes? Watch carefully to make sure you don't need to add more broth.

Then, dump in any veggies that your kids will eat. I always throw in frozen spinach and carrots. Then dump in a can of salsa. We serve over rice with cheese and sour cream. My pickiest eaters will eat this!!

I use lentils as a meat sub in quite a few recipes. My kids will eat them as sloppy joe's or taco's.

1/2 cp lentils

1/2 cup rice

1 1/2 cp of water

Let boil until lentil become soft but not soft enough to lose their shape. Sometimes I have to add a little more water as the level gets too low and I am afraid they will burn. Once done you can add in Taco Seasoning to use as taco filling or a can of sloppy joe sauce.

Kid tested:

1/2 pound bacon chopped up

1 small onion chopped up

1 bag lentils

In a pot, (sometimes I add a tiny bit of olive oil first) fry up the bacon until very crispy. Throw the chopped onion in and stir fry a few minutes with the bacon until it clears a bit and is glossy. Add the picked over (for stones) lentils and water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Salt at the end.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

This tastes a lot like beef stew to me. Don't be fooled by the word "soup". It's pretty thick and hearty. Leave out the lone potato (or cook and mash/puree it in broth).

I can never find the Not Beef broth cube so use any broth (2 c broth - 5 c water) or broth cube. I wouldn't worry about smoked salt if you don't have any either.

Here is a kid tested one. Cook lentils in water till soft. Then puree in blender. Mix with some flour, eggs, milk. Make pancakes. Yup, they loved them. If you need exact amounts, let me know. You can probably omit the milk, maybe even the eggs if need be.

Here is one that I love, but don't know about kids. Cook lentils with onions, carrots, garlic till soft. Purree. Use as a spread on bread or crackers.

Woolybear

1. You could throw a few into that vegetable beef soup each time you make it.

2. I sometimes cook them up with some chicken bouillon until well cooked. I then drain them (keep some of the water to use as needed.) and mash them up a bit. I add some of the water back into it and add taco seasoning. I have added some cheddar cheese on the top and used as a dip for chips or use it for burritos. A small amount of beef could be added to it, too.

3. Sometimes I have served it over rice. I cook up some onion and garlic and tomato sauce (could add green peppers, too) and seasoning of my choice. Sometimes I have used some chili powder. If I think it needs salt, I often go with some of the chicken bouillon for added flavor. I like doing this with red beans, too.

4. Throw together some cooked ham, carrots, chicken broth, small pasta, some onion and garlic (or the powder seasonings), some tomatoes (if you like them - I don't) or a dash of V-8 juice or a dash of tomato sauce or none of the above :). I think I added something else, too, but I can't remember what it was.

I need a kidfriendly, no- or low-meat recipe for lentils. Something that is tried and tested in your home.

I've got a no-mushroom kid and several no-potato-in-soup kids. Only last year did introduce our second homemade soup into the family -- a vegetable beef soup. Prior to that, my kids were pretty picky about homemade soups.

Thanks!

Lentils and Rice

1-1/2 cups brown rice

1/2 cup lentils

4 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

Cook as you would for rice. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Lentil Sausage Soup (You can add just a tiny bit of sausage, just for flavor.)

Dh is allergic to lentils, too, so we don't have it much, but the kids will eat it (they think it looks like Alpo, which makes it more desirable for some reason.) It's pretty much Jennifer in MI's recipe, but with sausage instead of salsa. :001_smile:

ETA: missed the "low or no meat" requirement. This uses chicken broth & ham, though if you reduced the ham to 1/2 that, you would still get the flavor and the soup would still be plenty hardy! :)

This is one of my favorite, favorite soup recipes (and I'm not even a big lentils fan!) Originally from Cooking Light, here's a link to My Recipes that shows a picure that will absolutely convince you to make it!

In spite of the long directions, it's very simple and relatively quick to make.

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup chopped onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 cup dried lentils

1/2 cup chopped carrot

2 bay leaves

3 cups chopped Swiss chard, collard greens, or spinach

1 1/2 cups chopped baking potato

1 cup chopped smoked ham

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth, lentils, carrot, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Add Swiss chard, potato, and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme, and pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.

Edited by OhM

Snobby Joes, or vegan sloppy joes from "Veganomicon". The author has the recipe on the website. http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=2059

This is not just food that tastes good vegans. Everyone likes this. I notice the first commenter gave it a rating of 1 because it was too hot. Just use mild chile powder. I don't like hot foods at all, and this was not a hot recipe.

One of my children eats lentils and beans plain. I mean PLAIN. No salt even. My other child wants nothing to do with them or any bean.

Orange lentils really break down when you cook them; if there's something texturally offensive about them, you could blend them and get turn them to an indistinct smooth textured soup, either eating as is or adding to something else.

We have this a couple times a month. Both my kids love it but I started them on it when they were toddlers so ymmv. Freezes well so you can make as a big a batch as will fit in your pot.

Lentil Soup

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, finely minced

1 smallish carrot, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup green lentils

1 bay leaf

2 whole canned tomatoes, drained, seeded & coarsely chopped; OR 2 whole fresh Roma tomatoes, seeded & coarsely chopped; OR 2-3 Tbsp. of spaghetti sauce; OR 2 Tbsp. of ketchup..... (you get the idea? Some tomato thing. If you hate tomatoes, skip it; it turns out fine without them)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper

In stockpot with 1 Tbsp butter (OR 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil) saute onion, garlic & carrots until tender, about 5 mins.

Meanwhile, rinse & pick over your lentils.

Add the lentils, bay leaf, tomatoes, salt & pepper, + about 5 to 5.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.

You can stir in a handful of chopped fresh escarole or spinach 5 min before serving.

Top with croutons, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of the croutons.

****I usually double the recipe & this serves all 4 of generously for dinner (with salad & cornbread) and leaves a smallish helping for the kids' lunch the next day.