Menu

Right Start Math Games -- are they the bomb?

I've heard lots of good things about these from several people, but I"d like a hive-sized opinion. I have the money to purchase them, but I don't want to be disappointed.

My ds2 is learning his math facts, and he likes games -- I printed out some number bonds of 10 that we've been playing with and making due.

I don't know anything about RS, but I bought these Math Dice at Borders a couple of weeks ago for $5.99 - the teacher's discount.

I bought them a year ago, but we still haven't used any of the games.

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the bunch, so YMMV but I never had the chance to sit down and read the instructions to figure out how to play the games. We're sit down and want to play NOW people, not the type that prepare in advance to play. So our box sits opened, but yet unused and we continue to just review math facts by playing games we already know how to play LOL. Cards, board games, et cetera.

We're not using RS as our math program, I just bought the games to supplement. That may make a difference in my unfamiliarity with how the games would work, and my low priority in figuring them out.

We love them, but I've only used a few games, it's been worth the money even so, it was a fun way for my daughter not to forget all her math over the summer.

We're not using RS as our math program, I just bought the games to supplement. That may make a difference in my unfamiliarity with how the games would work, and my low priority in figuring them out.

Read the instructions for go to the dump! It's a fun addition game, you start with make 10, we also play it to other numbers and with variations where you can use 3+ cards to add up to the sum. I also like the games with the 4 colored cards to make 10, 15, 20, or 25, but my daughter isn't quite to that point yet.

Edited by ElizabethB

We used RS for several years and played some of the games mostly when the kids were younger, say 8 or 9, but interest petered out after a while. The one game that did go over very well was corners for which you need a special square deck. I sold all my RS stuff last year, but I suspect that if I'd kept the corners cards, we'd still be playing it today.

I like them...of course my oldest is only 6 so a lot of my set is still in the shrink-wrap;) I like that I can sift through the book and pull out games that specifically target the skill I want to reinforce. Whether or not they are "the bomb" likely depends upon presentation and if your dc like playing games in general.

My 4yo can even play "Go to the Dump" and has learned a lot of her facts before actually doing any sort of organized "math." 6yo is developing quite the mental-mathing skill and RS games is a huge part of that...he thrives on the competition and it gets him thinking on his toes.

I don't use the entire RS curric. It's just supplemental for us, but I would have a hard time parting with it.

What levels of math do these games reinforce, e.g. easiest topics and most advanced topics?

Yes it has a wide variety from easy games to more complicated. For example easy would be a memory matching game where the child finds two cards to add up to 10 (or the same number for younger kids learning to "see" quantities). A more advanced is. Well remember these:

11328905340A658W.jpg

Today my oldest two played a multiplication version of this where you set out a couple sets of skip counting cards (shuffled, so not in order), take away the highest number then "slide" them to get them back in order. I tried it the other day and forgot how hard it is to do. I had them play it with a time limit, so as they get better at it they will complete more of it.

Heather

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the bunch, so YMMV but I never had the chance to sit down and read the instructions to figure out how to play the games. We're sit down and want to play NOW people, not the type that prepare in advance to play. So our box sits opened, but yet unused and we continue to just review math facts by playing games we already know how to play LOL. Cards, board games, et cetera.

:iagree:I am so glad that I didn't have to say it first. To make it worse the toddler got the abacus out and broke it, so now my resale value is down. We are having trouble with subtraction facts, so I might take a look at those youtube videos. I am thinking that the fractions stuff looks interesting. Edited by Lovedtodeath

We love them too. My dd6 and dd9 both really like to play them. Even my almost 4 yo ds can play one of them with us (Money War). I find that if I take a few minutes the night before to read the directions for the game and figure it out, it's not too bad. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to "click", and I don't want to try to figure it out while my child is waiting to play!

Someone posted a bunch of youtube links a while back explaining how to play the games! AWESOME! I don't like to read game directions,either....;)

Interesting. Maybe someone will re-post?

I'll say, I love the games we've played. They really make the "make facts" click with a boy who loves competition, but I think would wilt from "drill."

So I value these highly.

The one downside is I find the game instructions "chewy." The inefficiently of the language, combined with poor a typographic lay-out and organization, little guide to which of the VAST variety of games are "essential" (one couldn't possibly play them all) makes reading and re-reading the Game Book more of a chore than need be.

Dr Kotter could use a good editor, and a stem to stern revision of the book. It looks like it was written by an "engineer", because it was. Apologies to clear-writing enginners in the crowd.

That said, the games are great. Highly useful, especially if (like me) you have a kid who'd play a competitive game as if his life was at stake, but if "drilled" would start eating his shirt.

So for us, I'd go 5 stars, despite the grumbling about the instructions.

Bill

You can get the math card games kit, or you can get the decks as part of the RightStart A or B curricula, or you can buy them separately. The card games book and DVD are part of RightStart Level C, but they can also be purchased separately and used with the card decks to supplement any math curriculum.

If you're not interested in the kit, the individual decks can be purchased as a group or they can be purchased separately. However, if purchased outside of the kit or curriculum you may find you eventually want the card games book and DVD anyway. In that case, getting the kit to begin with would make more sense....

Clear as mud? :)

• 1 month later...
Is it possible to buy just the book & make my own cards? International shipping from alabacus.com is :eek: so the buying the kit/cards is out. Is the book detailed enough in its description of the decks?

You might, but it will be difficult. Is shipping better through Rainbow Resource?

Heather

Unfortunately RR's shipping works out the same.

RS uses UPS, so I was hoping RR would allow you more options, so you could choose a cheaper option.

You could use 3x5 cards cut in half and make them into play cards. The green deck is most commonly used and is just the numbers 0-10. The rest are not used as much and would be harder to create though not impossible. Especially if you don't feel the need to laminate everything like I do. ;)

Heather

ds 5.5 is very visual and the lack of color in the games turned him off as soon as I opened the box. The size of the instruction manual turned me off. So I sold my RS games and bout The Mailbox Mix and Match Games. Ds5.5 loves it and is learning his math facts effortlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/MIX-MATCH-GAMES-MATH-GR/dp/1562348035/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256921382&sr=8-3

RS uses UPS, so I was hoping RR would allow you more options, so you could choose a cheaper option.

You could use 3x5 cards cut in half and make them into play cards. The green deck is most commonly used and is just the numbers 0-10. The rest are not used as much and would be harder to create though not impossible. Especially if you don't feel the need to laminate everything like I do. ;)

Heather

The cost of shipping seems to have rocketed in the last year, especially since a lot of places now only offer airmail.

I'm fine with the idea of making our own cards (even the laminating!), so long as there's a list of how many of which - 1 '3' card, 2 '4's, etc. I dislike instructions that just say 'cards with numbers on' but don't tell you how many of which, since it can often affect the playability of the games.

Is it possible to buy just the book & make my own cards? International shipping from alabacus.com is :eek: so the buying the kit/cards is out. Is the book detailed enough in its description of the decks?

Is shipping for just the book that much cheaper than shipping for the book plus the decks?

I think that the basic deck (green, numbers 0-10) and the multiplication deck could both be made at home. In general I like to make my own manipulatives to save money, but I bought these decks from RightStart as they have some nice features: numbers in handwriting font, 6 and 9 easily distingished even when upsidedown, numbers written in the corners so easy to see them when holding them in a "fan".

If you don't do the money or clock games, which I think can be easily skipped, you don't need those decks.

The corners deck is the one deck that I think would be extremely difficult to reproduce at home. Each of the cards is different, and there are 50 cards. Each card has 4 numbers on it in different positions and colors, and I haven't seen a list of which numbers are on each card (and the position/color of each number). The corners game is really fun, and it would be a shame to miss out on it.

We haven't gotten to fractions yet, so I don't know about the fractions deck.

ds 5.5 is very visual and the lack of color in the games turned him off as soon as I opened the box. The size of the instruction manual turned me off. So I sold my RS games and bout The Mailbox Mix and Match Games. Ds5.5 loves it and is learning his math facts effortlessly.

http://www.amazon.com/MIX-MATCH-GAMES-MATH-GR/dp/1562348035/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256921382&sr=8-3

Thanks for mentioning this. It looks good.