Menu

Has anyone here studied sign language?

My younger dd has an opportunity to take it this year in ps (9th gr.)

She would study this in lieu of a spoken foreign language.

If you have studied sign language, can you list the possible future benefits/opportunities for one who has taken sign language through the high school years?

Thanks!

I have not personally taken it, however, my (now) 9yo son took it and really loved it, he wanted to continue but the teacher is no longer around so we only have computer programs available. Also my very best friend from high school married a beautiful lady who took sign language all through HS and college. She started out working for a police department interpreting, and is now doing the same job but at a local school. She really loves her job.

I have a second friend that took sign language and went to college to get a degree in teaching and works as a special education teacher.

Edited by fshinkevich
inturrupting/interpreting big difference lol

I've never 'studied' it officially, but it's always been a side interest... which everyone finds odd when they realize that I have a blind kiddo - they wonder why on earth sign would interest me :lol: ~ I do braille, of course, but sign is just another way of communicating with others that I find interesting.

Off the top of my head, I bet it could lead to some opportunities for paid or volunteer interpreting jobs - there are often churches and other places looking for someone who can sign for deaf congregation members. I'm not sure how long it takes someone to be that 'fluent' - I'm not - but it's a consideration.

Also - she may end up working with a deaf individual, or attending uni with someone who is, or dealing with customers/clients/etc who are deaf in whatever job she gets... know what I mean? There are a lot of deaf people out there and she'll be able to better communicate with those who sign...

Just a few reasons that come to mind. :)

I learned the equivalent of about a year or year and a half worth of sign language through my church which has a deaf ministry. I was part of the ministry for a while and helped out by signing the worship part of service. We would get the song list mid-week and I'd go over to the ASL ministry leader's house where we'd go through the songs. After we glossed the songs (write down the signs I needed), I'd spend the next two days practicing a lot to songs my husband burned to CD for me. By Sunday, I was ready to do them in front of the congregation. I wasn't good enough to sign the starting prayer or announcements after worship so I had a real interpreter that stepped up for that part. The interpreter would also be there to feed me sign if I needed it for any between song prayer, but those usually include words from the song right before or after so they were usually doable for me.

Some of the benefits I'd see would be:

ability to communicate with deaf people

job possibilities if study continued to get certification

ministry opportunities (interpreting in church)

it counts as a foreign language

and it adds so much to worship (if you go to church)

If the teacher is deaf, I'd definitely go for it because that would be the best way to learn. Think immersion.

No official coursework here. A friend and I taught ourselves the signed alphabet when we were in 6th grade...so we could "talk" to each other during our school's infamous "silent lunches." Short conversations...but so much fun, feeling like we "got over" on the authority figures, LOL! We loved watching their faces. Much later, after having a child with autism, I have picked up a few signs here and there, mostly from a speech pathologist who used them as prompts for the verbal language. So, just thought I would add that they can be beneficial to some hearing children that have language disorders that make expressive language difficult.

My friend and I have decided to do it together. We want to learn, and I do have the kids learning. We just bought a curriculum, but I'd have to ask her what it is (cant remember, we JUST ordered it 2 days ago). It's an adult program that colleges use.

We're using kid books, signing time dvd's (there's a curriculum on her site), etc...

I'm currently in a college class for ASL this semester. I'll need 2-4 semesters of ASL for my degree in Speech Pathology. This is the first association I've had with ASL and it's been quite a learning experience. I did not realize that ASL was considered a foriegn language or especially how the Deaf culture worked. It's been great! My kids are learning along with me; I'm getting them Signing Time videos from the library. They aren't really picking up the syntax, but still they are learning. It gives me someone to practice on, lol! Also, I do a little with our kid's church worship.

As far as job oppts, if you do a google search for ASL teacher or interpreters, many come up. On a search I saw some opportunities for college-level teaching jobs available. My initial goal is not to get certified for ASL, but I'm enjoying it so much I might! Here is a quote from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

"Demand for American Sign Language interpreters will grow rapidly, driven by the increasing use of video relay services, which allow individuals to conduct video calls using a sign language interpreter over an Internet connection."

Edited by Spinning
Missing words!

I have an Associates degree in Sign Language Interpreting. I loved it, but don't get to do it any more. I was told last week by ds's speech therapist that if I decide to renew my state certification, I could name my price, and to let her know. There is a huge demand for it if you know where to look. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me. I started taking it in 11th grade(this was the first class offered at a high school level in the state of Texas) It had been approved for several years, but we were the first to actually do it. I went on to Houston Community College to get my degree. I could have gotten a Bachelors, but I would have to move to Arkansas, or get a teaching degree. Some colleges will not accept it as foreign language credit, but I say take it anyway.

I have an Associates degree in Sign Language Interpreting. I loved it, but don't get to do it any more. I was told last week by ds's speech therapist that if I decide to renew my state certification, I could name my price, and to let her know. There is a huge demand for it if you know where to look. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me. I started taking it in 11th grade(this was the first class offered at a high school level in the state of Texas) It had been approved for several years, but we were the first to actually do it. I went on to Houston Community College to get my degree. I could have gotten a Bachelors, but I would have to move to Arkansas, or get a teaching degree. Some colleges will not accept it as foreign language credit, but I say take it anyway.

:iagree: I never took any, but I might now that I have a hearing impaired nephew. I have a close friend who has a degree in ASL and I think a teaching certificate, and she has job offers left and right. There are all kinds of opportunities to work with hearing imparied and deaf people.

I took it in high school and was a student interpreter to help deaf/HH kids get thru their classes. Later, I took some more as a refresher, but I never really used it because I did not learn ASL but learned a hodge-podge--more like English word order and ASL signs. I did a lot of performances of music/sign in my high school sign language class. My teacher was profoundly Deaf and had been brought up oral--an extremely difficult and nearly abusive practice in her case (IN HER CASE, got it?). Later, she learned ASL and it allowed her to fully participate in both worlds, the world of the hearing, and the world of the Deaf. She was such a good teacher that I still remember a lot of what she taught, and have a deep appreciation of both her own talents and abilities and Deaf culture.

I do think it is good to do alongside of Latin, or at least two years of a spoken foreign language, but that is because my goals would include the intensive grammar and the ability to analyze language deeply and apply it to English.

I wish now that I'd gone on to learn enough to become truly fluent--job opportunites around here abound, and I could be making 40 or 50 dollars an hour--true, it is part time, but that fits with my role as a homeschooling mom. In fact, my search for part time work that fits my life has opened my eyes to equipping my dd to be able to homeschool her own kids and still bring in some side money.

Edited by Chris in VA

If she's interested she should do it!!

I took Sign in middle school and went on to do some interpreting at our church. I LOVED it!!! I also babysat several deaf/HH infants and children. One summer I helped tutor deaf/HH students at a summer school for deaf/HH and blind children. My goal was to become a Deaf Education teacher (life happened and I didn't go on to add that after I was done with my bachelors in Elementary Education).

I glanced through the other responses and agree that there are many opportunities for your dd if she choses to pursue this.

I attended a hearing impaired elementary school, so it was required for those years :) I didn't do any formal study after that, but got regular practice just because of the people I hung around ... all signers. My mom learned to sign, too, and our family continues to sign even though we no longer live around or know any HI or deaf people.

It's come in handy :)

I still use it to "tell" my mom or siblings something that I don't want anyone in hearing vicinity to hear (usually my kids, though they're picking it up just by daily exposure to it). I've used it at work to communicate with HI or deaf customers. It's also nice as an alternative to thumb-twiddling LOL. I find myself signing songs and whatnot while I'm bored or waiting.

I think it's a great thing to know, and to learn! But I also don't think everything we learn needs to fulfill any downline requirement or expected experience. Sometimes it's worth is just in that it's interesting to the student.

I studied ASL in college, though I actually learned ASL previously (outside of a classroom). I taught at schools for the Deaf and worked as an ASL interpreter. The latter was much more lucrative (and flexible and stressful).

Edited by zaichiki
studied ASL in college: degree is in Deaf Ed, though

I'm taking a class right now as an elective for my Masters in Counseling. I work at a hospital, and it would certainly come in handy. Just a few months ago an autistic man came to the psych ward who only used sign language.

Granted, this class is only Signed English, not ASL, but at least I'll be making an effort...and it's a fun elective among all the substance abuse and ethics and theory studies...:001_smile:

Thanks again, Everyone!

It turns out that changing to sign language would not work for her school schedule, as it would mean changing around too many classes.

She is going to have to stick w/French for now.

Sign language was suggested as an alternative to her French class. My dd is going to have surgery in November, and she will be missing 6-8 weeks of school. It might be very difficult for her to keep up with her French studies, even though she will have a tutor during that time.

Lisa,

I think Michelle is being funny. Her avatar is the "I Love You" sign in ASL. I'm guessing she's all for it. :)

I'm the child of deaf parents; the I love you sign with a child holding on.

No, I wasn't being funny. There is a big difference between taking ASL for fun and taking it in lieu of Latin or a spoken foreign language in high school. I wouldn't have my dc take ASL in lieu of those foreign languages in high school even if they had the opportunity (which they will not).

Edited by MIch elle

I'm the child of deaf parents.

No, I wasn't being funny. There is a big difference between taking ASL for fun and taking it in lieu of Latin or a spoken foreign language in high school. I wouldn't have my dc take ASL in lieu of those foreign languages in high school even if they had the opportunity (which they will not).

Ahh... interesting.

I took Latin, Spanish, and French in school. I also learned ASL. Although I used ASL for my career, and in my social life, I'm glad I took Latin, Spanish, and French.

Latin helped me on the SATs and with vocabulary development. It was also a GREAT base for learning the other two languages. (Latin was required in my high school.)

I only took Spanish because my mother insisted. Sigh.

French was *my* choice for fun. I haven't used it since college, though.

I think ASL is a perfectly honorable choice as a modern language. So are the others. There are good reasons to learn all of them.

I'm the child of deaf parents; the I love you sign with a child holding on.

I would love it if our ps offered Latin, but it does not. Normally, I would prefer a spoken foreign language as well. However, as I explained in this thread, my dd is having surgery in November, which will take her out of school for 6-8 weeks.

She wanted to take French this year, but there was no beginning class for 9th gr., so she had to take the next level. She studied from the text over the summer. (The school gave her one) - but she was still overwhelmed with the class. We did not know when we signed up that she was going to need surgery. If it were not for the surgery, she would probably be fine.

We told her guidance counselor that we wanted to drop French and take a language next year in hs. The counselor suggested sign language as an alternative.

Ahh... interesting.

I think ASL is a perfectly honorable choice as a modern language. So are the others. There are good reasons to learn all of them.

But not in high school, imho (or taken w/ spoken f. lang.). There is too much that would be missed by skipping Latin or other spoken foreign languages in high school.

Here's a different take on sign language.

My son has dyslexia and multiple other LD's. Languages are VERY difficult for him, but sign language is easier for him. It is considered a "language" option in public schools and colleges here.

So for him, it's a perfect solution. And we are loving it! We are having so much fun doing it, I don't regret it one bit!

We bought the Signing Time Teachers Set and it's been fun!

I'm an ASL interpreter. I love, love, love it! I have a bs in education and an ms in deaf ed. I have studied Spanish and French but I only took one single ASL class. As it happened, I lived in a wonderful area with tons of Deaf and a school f/t deaf. I often volunteered at the school in the concession stands, chaperoning for dances or on buses to football/basketball games, et c. I did have that one class but I learned in the community.

I sign with "native-like" fluency and am nationally certified interpreter.

and I probably would not let my kid take a sign class. I have looked at just about everything out there in terms of ASL lang curric and haven't seen anything worth it. It's just entirely too lame unless they are using college level materials. Even those are just "pretty good."

just my opinion.

I think it is a wonderful language and I absolutely love being a terp but I just have'nt seen anythink like an excellent program.

I see that you've decided already but I just wanted to put that out there in case anyone else was considering it or if you consider it later.

Both my parents worked with brain injured patients in a long term care setting so they knew it from the beginning of their marriage.

My mom has not "worked" out of the home in 30 years but she did the signing for the large church services for a small fee for years, she picked up a few one time jobs because church members recommended her. Not a huge income but a little spending cash here and there.

My parents were still able to talk over my head when I was a child...even after us kids could spell we couldn't follow ASL fast enough to figure out what they were talking about LOL.

It also came in really hand when my brother went to speech therapy because so much of the hand signals they used as reminders were based in ASL.

That's what I remember off the top of my head.

Sara

Yup. Being able to sign does not mean you can interpret. I can sign, but I have a stutter so I can't interpret. Weird, huh?

Rosie

Professional interpreters really do need to be trained, not just fluent signers. Interpreting can be a fairly sticky business, and there are codes of ethics and all sorts of other important aspects that need to be considered.

I sort of fell into interpreting in NYC many years ago. I ended up in doctors' offices, religious ceremonies, legal meetings, drug rehab situations, and mental health day facilities. Interpreting is a profession that really demands a certain type of personality. I didn't have it. (I had the fluency and the clients were always comfortable with me, but some of those situations were doozies and I hope I never do it again!)

No offense meant. I hold professional interpreters in VERY high regard. I just know that I don't have what it takes.

FWIW I really enjoyed teaching at schools for the Deaf... until I had my own children. Now I just want to raise my *own* kids.

:)

I began my college years with ASL interpreting and Deaf Education. I changed plans a ways into it but I have always loved ASL. It has served me well over the years as I have always lived in an area that has a state deaf school, so I have had regular contact with those who speak it.

There are so many opprotunities to use ASL not only as a kid, but as an adult in the workforce. Not to mention it is fun! If your dd is interested in taking the courses I would highly reccommend it if not for anything than just the experiance. My kids are starting it now and it makes them giggle everytime to start practice. :)

Professional interpreters really do need to be trained, not just fluent signers. Interpreting can be a fairly sticky business, and there are codes of ethics and all sorts of other important aspects that need to be considered.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about all that stuff! I like the way interpreters here have levels of certification, with "level three" being for interpreting in court and such things. Needless to say, there aren't many of them. I do with the occupational health and safety rules were followed more widely too. There's a large drop out rate due to RSI.

Anyway, no amount of training would make an interpreter of me, because I have a stutter, and even without the stutter, I could never be a really good interpreter because I don't have a extroverted, storytelling personality. The point I was trying to get across was that kids can't take signing classes and expect an interpreting job as a natural consequence. I could use Auslan in the workplace, and can use it in my personal life, but I couldn't be an interpreter.

Rosie

The point I was trying to get across was that kids can't take signing classes and expect an interpreting job as a natural consequence.

Good point.

Here, in the US, there are community college Interpreter Training programs in just about every state (some better than others just like anything). High School ASL classes would be good prep if one is considering interpreting as a profession.