Menu

Tricks to teaching a kid to swing on their own?

Tap

Dd2 is almost 3 and loves to swing. She weighs 38lbs, and wears size 4-5 so she has the size and weight to do it. But, she requires a pusher, which isn't always possible. I have tried teaching her the in and out but she doesn't get it. Does anyone have a trick?

I told my dc to bend their legs back when they swing back and to point their legs forward when they swing forward. Once this become a habit, they can learn to feel how to shift their weight and lean back a bit when they point their legs forward and to lean forward to help their legs bend to the back as they swing backward.

I told my dc to bend their legs back when they swing back and to point their legs forward when they swing forward.

:iagree: "Forward. Back. Forward. Back. Forward. Back." is what I said over and over and over to dd5 while I stood behind her and gave her additional pushes when needed. She still couldn't get herself started or keep herself going. Then two of her slightly older cousins came to visit for a few days. She observed them, and then she got it! Woo hoo!

My kids are swing and tricycle retarded. I have given up hope.

:lol:

I think it really differs from child to child. My now 6 yr old dd was fully swinging on her own by 3. NONE, of my other children did that. Not even my son, who I think is pretty coordinated. As for my firstborn, let's just say we are working towards a music scholarship.:D

I have found it is easiest to sit in a swing by them and say "fall back" while making exaggerated movements like you are falling out of your swing and then "pull yourself up." I do this a few days, give them some good pushes and a reminder about "falling back and pulling up" for a few days and then I walk away. When they get motivated they will figure it out.

I would stand in front of ds with my hands stretched out in front of him just out of reach and tell him to try to kick (or reach) my hands with his feet. A fun game to give him some incentive.

This is exactly what I do. I get them going with pushes, then get in front and put my hand out. They love trying to reach mamma's hand. After they touch my hand, I say, "Feet under!" and they put them under. "Touch!" as they come forward again (repeat, 50,674 times).

:lol:

I think it really differs from child to child. My now 6 yr old dd was fully swinging on her own by 3. NONE, of my other children did that. Not even my son, who I think is pretty coordinated. As for my firstborn, let's just say we are working towards a music scholarship.:D

I kind of agree with this one, that it varies by child. My DS just figured it out this summer; DD had it down out last fall. I had worked with her far less because I kind of expected her to follow in DS's footsteps. Love it when my kids shoot down preconceived notions!