Menu

Am I overreacting?

Here is our first weekly update email from my ds6's teacher. Okay, I know my son is a little advanced for his age. He reads Cam Jansen and Boxcar Children books on his own, and we worked on multiplication concepts this summer, but still, does this seem like a week in first grade to you or a week in preschool?:

"Good Morning!

I hope that you are enjoying this beautiful day. We have been busy this

past week! At literacy time, we have been enjoying the story "One Red

Rooster". This story reviews number and color words in a fun way. We

have brainstormed different farm animals and their colors and the sounds

they make on the smartboard. We also mixed up all the color and number

words, along with ordinal words (first, second, etc.) and each child had

to put their word in the correct place on the chart. We have been

practicing our choral reading with some healthy competition between the

boys and the girls! Today we wrapped up the story by making popsicle

sticks of our favorite animal from the story and acting it out. I was the

donkey! =)

In Math, we have been telling "one more" and "one less" stories. For

example, "My mom baked 4 cookies. I ate one. How many cookies do I have

left?" The children have been creative with their stories. We have also

learned the rules to some math games that the kids have enjoyed. The

games focus on number sense practice as well as greater than/less than and

skip counting.

Journal writing has begun, and the kids are really doing a nice job! I

look forward to reading what they write each day.

The first class store will be held Friday, September 25th from 1:00-2:00.

I will take the first few volunteers I hear from, and then if you don't

get a chance this month, I will definitely schedule you at a future store.

Donations are always so greatly appreciated! Even just one or two things

from the dollar bins, or even better, look around the house and any gently

used little trinket that hasn't been played with for a while may be a

treasure to another child!

I hope that your child has been happy so far in first grade! Please keep

in touch and let me know if you have any questions/concerns. Happy Friday!

Michelle Mayer

1st grade teacher

B----- Elementary School"

I felt sick to my stomach after reading this. I forwarded it to dh, who is the one who doesn't believe in homeschooling. He called me after he read it, and said, "Oh my G--. They are going to retard him if this is what they are doing." Not in a mental retardation way, just in the slowing him down and keeping him back kind of way. He suggested I go talk to the principal to see if we can put him in some other class or skip a grade or something. What do you think? Is this typical first grade stuff? It seems like my kindergartener is actually doing more than this.

It doesn't sound that bad. In a first grade class you are going to have kids that can't read yet, kids that are barely getting through cvc words, and kids that are reading real books. Just like you are going to have kids at all levels of mathematically literacy. It is the way things are when 20+ kids are put together in one room.

I would guess that some sort of assessments and grouping will happen and the kids will get separated in different groups in the next few weeks.

Welcome to school.

but I'm the same way. My guess is the note highlights fun things they did in class, but they did more than that. Some teachers are more skilled at writing the notes than others.

I would do two things for peace of mind: volunteer in the classroom (even an hour would give you an idea of what's going on) and ask the teacher what they will be learning this year, what books they're using etc. And sure, let the teacher know your child is advanced so that she understands where you're coming from. Then when you have more info, you can decide if the class will be challenging enough. Hang in there!

I'm kind of surprised by the type of work the school seems to be doing. My two are in a public K right now and they seem to be doing more than that actually. They're working on reading a few words (by sight - gah!) and addition/subtraction. I would talk to the teacher to see what her educational goals are for the year. Maybe (hopefully!) they just start out slow and then really pickup speed in a week or two. If not then I'd probably try to push to have him advanced a year. That's what my parents did when I went from homeschooling to public school. I was supposed to be in 2nd and they started me in 3rd.

I'm not at all impressed with our *award winning* public schools here. Our future plans involve homeschooling full-time.

Good luck.

I've noticed that public schools in some areas seem to be at least one year ahead of public schools in other areas. This particular description DOES seem like one of those slower schools. If I were in your shoes I would either pull my child out to homeschool, look for a more challenging private school, or speak to the principal about a grade skip. It doesn't sound like your child will learn much this year at this pace, huh?

Good luck!

Honestly, I think that is completely appropriate for the first week of first grade. Your son is advanced. This is the first week of school. Everyone is getting to know each other. They're trying to establish classroom routines. Classwork should be pretty simple that week. You're going to have a LOT of kids who can't read color or number words. I'm pleased that the expectation is not there of entering first graders knowing how to read. Many can, but a lot can't, and that's okay. Six is still VERY VERY little, and developmentally a lot aren't ready.

More and less than is an important concept, and it takes a little while. It's something you do in prerschool, but you also do it in kindergarten and first grade. It needs review. Most first grade math textbooks include it at the beginning.

The curriculum may get much more demanding soon, or it may not. It may not be the most appropriate curriculum for your son, but it does sound appropriate for first grade.

I would talk to the teacher and make sure she knows where your son is academically, but I would try to do it in a friendly way. Most first grade teachers are used to a lot of variation in the abilities of their students. And none of those things that they are doing will hurt your son. Review can build confidence. The important thing is to ALSO include material that will continue to challenge and engage him. That can be done after school, or the teacher may help with that. Usually it takes a couple weeks to do assessments and get accomodations going.

What does your son think of school? Is he bored out of his mind and mad, or is he enjoying it? That would make a difference in my mind.

The curriculum may get much more demanding soon, or it may not. It may not be the most appropriate curriculum for your son, but it does sound appropriate for first grade.

I would talk to the teacher and make sure she knows where your son is academically, but I would try to do it in a friendly way. Most first grade teachers are used to a lot of variation in the abilities of their students. And none of those things that they are doing will hurt your son. Review can build confidence. The important thing is to ALSO include material that will continue to challenge and engage him. That can be done after school, or the teacher may help with that. Usually it takes a couple weeks to do assessments and get accomodations going.

What does your son think of school? Is he bored out of his mind and mad, or is he enjoying it? That would make a difference in my mind.

Terabith,

I agree with you when you say that the activities sound appropriate for most first graders.

However, I disagree with the idea that no challenge in school can't hurt.

I understand that review is important for many kids, but too much review at too low a level can be devestating for some. Most children who are reading at a 3rd grade level and learning multiplication would be bored out of their minds with 4-1=3 and choral reading.

I also agree that this pace could be a slow warm-up for the first week. However, if it stays like this, a child can easily turn against school and even learning in general. Equally as bad, years of no challenge can teach a child to be a lifelong underachiever. There are scores of examples of kids who NEVER had to try in school... when these kinds of kids get to college (or another scenario where they are truly challenged) it is frequently crash and burn. And that's truly sad because it's totally preventable.

I used to teach preschool. The first items you listed were typical of our 4 year old preschool program. Specifically, the items related to "One Red Rooster" and the math problems with cookies. The journaling would be more on a 1st grade level. My kids did similar things in 1st grade (ps, we didn't homeschool until later). I would be very concerned if this is going to be typical. I would see if you could address your husband's concerns on homeschooling. Most schools won't let kids skip grades, but if you think your child could handle it socially both now and 10 years from now, you can at least ask.

Did your son say how he liked it and if he learned anything new? I guess farm animal sounds, color words, and even number words do sound pretty pre-school to me. But if there are children in the classroom who don't know those things yet, the teacher has to work with them.

If your son is not challenged, I would be worried that he would dumb himself down, or get bored and act out, or at the very least start to hate school. Definitely something to keep a close eye on. He is lucky you are involved and ready to advocate for him!

Terabith,

I agree with you when you say that the activities sound appropriate for most first graders.

However, I disagree with the idea that no challenge in school can't hurt.

I understand that review is important for many kids, but too much review at too low a level can be devestating for some. Most children who are reading at a 3rd grade level and learning multiplication would be bored out of their minds with 4-1=3 and choral reading.

I also agree that this pace could be a slow warm-up for the first week. However, if it stays like this, a child can easily turn against school and even learning in general. Equally as bad, years of no challenge can teach a child to be a lifelong underachiever. There are scores of examples of kids who NEVER had to try in school... when these kinds of kids get to college (or another scenario where they are truly challenged) it is frequently crash and burn. And that's truly sad because it's totally preventable.

Oh, absolutely!!!!! If school continues to be ALL review, at that level, then yes, that would be devastating. School should definitely have some challenge. I really hope that the pace picks up a bit, and that it begins to be more appropriate for this child. My daughter, who is 5.5, is at a similar academic level; not quite so advanced with math, but getting there. She would have a lot of fun with that sort of class for a few weeks, but long term it wouldn't be a good solution. It very well may not be an appropriate educational situation for this child, but I think it is appropriate for the first week of first grade. Does that make any sense? Appropriate for first week of first grade: yes. Good situation for this particular child: maybe. That's why I would ask him what he thinks about school. And definitely do stuff after school. And watch to see what happens with the curriculum, and talk (in a friendly way) with the teacher in a few weeks. But a classroom that stays at that level, or a classroom that totally lacks challenge is NOT a good situation for a kid. If that winds up being the case for more than three weeks or so, then I'd be worried.

Honestly, I think that is completely appropriate for the first week of first grade. Your son is advanced. This is the first week of school. Everyone is getting to know each other. They're trying to establish classroom routines. Classwork should be pretty simple that week. You're going to have a LOT of kids who can't read color or number words. I'm pleased that the expectation is not there of entering first graders knowing how to read. Many can, but a lot can't, and that's okay. Six is still VERY VERY little, and developmentally a lot aren't ready.

More and less than is an important concept, and it takes a little while. It's something you do in prerschool, but you also do it in kindergarten and first grade. It needs review. Most first grade math textbooks include it at the beginning.

I have to agree with this. The first week or two of school is usually fun, games and getting to know one another. Usually by the third or fourth week of school, the teacher would've done some type of assessment to determine reading levels. I'm not sure if placement tests are done in math. At least not at my childrens' school. My Kinder. will have a DRA assessment done and my 3rd grader just took his STAR test for the AR program. In math all students work on the same thing.

I'm sure their aren't many 6 yrs.old doing multiplication in public schools regardless of which district you're in. I would suggest talking to the principal about letting your son bring math work from home to do during math time and bringing his own books from home to read. Check out the requirements for the schools gifted and talented program. Most of the time testing doesn't occur until Spring for the following school year. I would also check in to the districts requirement for grade acceleration. In our school district, in order for a Kinder to skip a grade, they would have to take the TAKS 3rd grade exam and pass with a 90% or above in reading and math.

I agree with some of the pp, don't worry until about Nov./Dec. If things haven't stepped up by then, I would homeschool or find a school that would meet your child's academic needs. :)

We started August 25, so this was the third week of school. Our school systems were just rated #5 of 100 in the greater metropolitan area. This does not bode well for my kid.

Also, thank you all for your responses. I do plan to volunteer in the classroom, and I think I will try to have a conversation with the teacher about ways to challenge him before I flip out completely and start demanding stuff. I showed this email to some mom friends who also have first graders but live in the next city over, and they all said it sounded very pre-schooly and way below what their kids have been doing these first few weeks of school.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

Oh, boy. Yeah, I would say that seems more like preschool...and I'd be concerned, too. But as it is just the first week of school, I'd take a deep breath and wait a little while before I made hasty decisions. :grouphug:

First of all, as others asked, how did your ds feel about it? That might determine how fast I go in to talk to the teacher.

I'm sure this isn't 'everything' they did during the week...so there is the possibility that there were other 'first grade' type things done.

Also, with the first week of school, there are always a lot of routines to establish and practice, so I wouldn't be too surprised if not a lot of academics has begun yet.

The key point there, would be in the 'yet.' What curriculum do they plan to use for the year? What books will your child be reading? Do they do any grouping by ability in math or reading? What is the school's policy on accelerating kids?

Every year I find it a little difficult to know how to approach the teacher to figure out these types of things. On the one hand, you want to give her some time & space to get to know your son/the class and see what she will do on her own. On the other hand, you don't want to waste half the year by sitting around & hoping she's going to figure out what to do for him. On the one hand, you want to tell her where he is at academically and offer suggestions/recommend/demand what to do for him. On the other hand, you don't want her to think you are some neurotic mom (I'm not saying you are! But this is always what I am afraid of people thinking about me!) who thinks she knows better than her and cause her to feel defensive & therefore uncooperative.

If I were in your situation, I'd set up an appointment with the teacher...without any little ones with me. I'd start by talking about all of the things that my son is excited about in first grade (even if it has nothing to do with her...I'd word it so it was all about how awesome she is)...basically brown-nose & kiss up..."It's been a great start to the year and we are so excited for little Johnny to be in your class."

Then I'd switch to..."I know the beginning of the year is so much work for teachers and you'll probably be covering a lot of these things later, but I just have a few questions about how the year will go in your class. What are your plans for x, y, z?" Then I'd be sure to say, at some point, "I'm not sure if you've finished your assessments yet, but Johnny is a strong little reader and is so excited to be reading chapter books. How do you differentiate within the classroom when you have students at such different levels? It must be so difficult to meet all of their needs, is there anything I can do to help?"

I've had different responses when I offer to help like that...my first son's kindergarten teacher years ago was overwhelmed & thrilled for the help. We met together and figured out some ideas--then I worked on things at home and sent them in. This year, I emailed my dd10's teacher--she's one who kind of likes parents to stay out of things--but I was pretty direct and told her what I wanted to happen with dd, offered to help in any way I could...and she jumped right on it and figured out some great things on her own.

It might depend on your school and it's policies though. We are at a charter school that levels math according to ability (using Saxon), levels reading & spelling...so the expectation is there that each child will be challenged. I've finally decided that I just need to be direct and honestly approach the teachers with my concerns...and come armed with some suggestions and willingness to help them differentiate. Then, if they aren't willing, I go straight to the principal. I can almost hear him groan when he sees me heading straight for him! :D

Good luck! You go for it! And keep us posted on what happens!

Are you maybe in GT denial? :001_smile: Does your state have GT laws? It might help to look at the placement tests online of say Singapore Math or any commonly used math program and see where your son would fall and then look at if his needs are going to be met in a first grade classroom. If looking at Singapore since they are free online, just remember that they are a half year ahead of most public schools.

Edited by melmichigan

I think I should have been more clear in the original post. This was the third week of school, but the first time the teacher sent a weekly email. I have volunteered for lunch duty, so I've seen how long it takes to get from one activity to the next at school, and they have music, art, tech lab and library once a week, and PE two or three times a week. They also have 3 recesses a day, so I think this really is all they have done in school this week. I am going to wait a couple of weeks to see if it gets any better and I'm going to set up an appointment with the teacher. He likes school, but when I ask him what he likes, he says recess and gym. I asked him about the One Red Rooster book, and he said it was really, really easy.

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm guessing gifted and talented? Depending on the state where you live, if your son tested as gifted, the school may have to provide certain levels of accommodation (separate gifted class, accelerate by subject, pull-out gifted class, etc). Many states don't mandate gifted education though, but if you're in one of lucky the states that does, that might help you advocate for your son.

Well, on the one hand, I'm thrilled they have three recesses a day, as well as pe 2 or 3 times a week! I think many first grades do not have nearly enough physical activity built in. So, yay for physical activitiy and (maybe) developmental appropriateness!

But..... Hmm, if it's the third week of school, I might give it another week, but then I might ask to have a sit down and chat with the teacher and phrase things a lot like cougarmom did.

Is there a reason homeschooling isn't possible? Or an affordable private school, or a charter or magnet school that has more individualized groupings?

I just sent the teacher an email asking if I could set up a time with her to discuss what they will be covering this year, specifically in reading, math and spelling. I will try to approach it with an open mind and see if we can work something out together.

Homeschooling isn't an option only because dh is adamantly opposed to it. He really believes they NEED to be in school for the social interaction. I've tried to tell him that there are other ways to get the social stuff, but he doesn't think it's the same as having a core group of school friends. I'm working on him, and I think if we keep getting more emails like this, I may be able to convince him to give homeschooling a try.

We don't really have any charter or magnet schools nearby, and our schools are considered to be "excellent" and "exceed expectations". What the basis for judging this is, I'm not quite sure. Private schools around here for 2 kids cost as much as buying a new minivan every year. We have an unusual financial situation, so we wouldn't qualify for need based scholarships, but due to certain family obligations, we cannot afford private school right now.

I really am going to try to work out something with the teacher, and just keep afterschooling so that he doesn't get too far behind. The gifted program starts in second grade, so maybe there is some hope.

]

We don't really have any charter or magnet schools nearby' date=' and our schools are considered to be "excellent" and "exceed expectations". What the basis for judging this is, I'm not quite sure. Private schools around here for 2 kids cost as much as buying a new minivan every year. We have an unusual financial situation, so we wouldn't qualify for need based scholarships, but due to certain family obligations, we cannot afford private school right now.

[b']QUOTE]

Your situation sounds alot like ours, except my dh is onboard with homeschooling. However, b/c I carry the benefits and I have the steady income (he is self-employed), homeschooling isn't an option right now. We are going to take it year by year. It can be frustrating b/c I find myself every Spring planning to homeschool only to be let down. So now I'm just going to do what I can do before-school and on weekends to keep my children on track for where I think they should be, not the public school. I totally understand about the private school tuition- it would be about $27K-$32K for my 2 olders for an elite private school and $13K-$23K for a good private Christian school for 2 children. :001_huh:

I'm sure everything will workout for your ds and your family.:)

Homeschooling isn't an option only because dh is adamantly opposed to it. He really believes they NEED to be in school for the social interaction. I've tried to tell him that there are other ways to get the social stuff, but he doesn't think it's the same as having a core group of school friends. I'm working on him, and I think if we keep getting more emails like this, I may be able to convince him to give homeschooling a try.

Lynne,

My dh was opposed until my youngest ds hit 6th grade. I had actually stopped talking about wanting to hs but then we hit so many academic and bad social environment issues at the middle school that my dh saw the need to get out. We really didn't have decent private options available. Now dh is a strong hs advocate, which I never expected. His biggest concern was social oppurtunities, which I put a strong emphasis on making happen. Homeschooling is great but if that's not an option right now, I encourage you to just stay on top of things at the school, and point things out as needed to dh. Ask him for help with solutions.

Cathie

What you described sounds like a pre-K review in our school district. So maybe they are a school that is a year behind - which will be tough on your advanced child.

Is there a special reason that you are not able to homeschool? Work out of the home, etc. Our daughter was in the same boat at school and to be honest even in the gifted classes she was bored to tears. With her high test scores they still would not put her up a grade. So by 4th grade when the teacher didn't know what to do with her so she kept sending her to the library for research we had enough and pulled her out to homeschool.

Lisa

The gifted program starts in second grade, so maybe there is some hope.

I know your issue with homeschooling is your husband's not yours, so I hate to be a downer. I would really encourage you to look into the program, see what it entails. It may be excellent, and worth holding out for! Unfortunately, it may be little more than a pull out class a couple times a week. Speaking from personal experience, this will never make up for the hours and hours spent being bored in class during the rest of the week. Do the afterschooling, talk to the teacher, and check out the gifted forum here, as well as http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/.

Good luck! You are an awesome mama, caring for your son's education like you do! :001_smile:

It sounds like a typical p.s. kindergarten. That would be the equivalent to homeschool pre-K since most homeschools run a year to two years ahead. Keep in mind that the first four to eight weeks of a new school year is normally review. Maybe you should wait to freak out until December?

Except that it is first grade.

At this point in the year, I'd talk to the teacher and then the principal about the placement options for advanced students. Some schools do a pull-out for a reading group that draws all advanced readers, and some send students to another grade for math. I'd also ask for acheivement testing if there is a question as to his instructional level.

Have you pulled the state math objectives and compared them to the curriculum? Likely you need to afterschool math.

Also, make sure he's prepared for the GATE screening exam. Students that don't know the question formats are at a disadvantage.

I actually think the 10 years from now issue is the more important of the two.

Hmmm... I think *now* is more important. Who knows what your child will be doing 10 years from now. He might be homeschooled... or in college. I've noticed that I can never predict the future with any certainty. Plans I have for the future always seem to change. There are so many options for a child's future education.

Our oldest grade skipped this year-- his first year in school. (He is 10, which is 5th grade here by age, but in 6th grade.) Academically, he could be in 7th and it would be better. Socially, skipping one year is nothing. Ds has had friends a year older than himself since he was a toddler. Over the years I've noticed virtually no difference in children with only a year age difference. There is more emotional/social/maturational difference based on personality, and even sometimes gender, than there is in a year IMO.

Honestly, we plan to homeschool ds for a year to do a "grade correct" before high school... but that is really only one option... and it depends on the high school where he may end up. (This plan is in the works if we can arrange for him to go to an academically rigourous high school, where freshman have the opportunity to take classes at a higher level if they are ready.)

I think it's essential to be honest with a child: the grade skip is a bandaid for the current educational environment. It does not define who they are. If the child had access to a different school/academic situation (gifted school, some private schools, subject acceleration, self-contained accelerated class, etc.) a grade skip might not be necessary. If you're explaining it this way, a future "grade correct" is not to be looked at as a bad thing. Or... the future may hold *another* grade skip, early graduation, or dual enrollment in college... or homeschooling. Who can know *now*?

Well, I have an appointment with the teacher next week, but I don't really expect it to yield much. Maybe dh can come with me, although I planned on having him watch the kids while I go.

After I showed dh the paper on which ds had to separate farm animals into columns of 2 legs or 4 legs, he brought up the whole grade skipping thing again. However, ds is already one of the smallest kids in his class. I took ds to an informational meeting to join cub scouts last night, and the pack leader had all the 1st graders stand up front in a row, and ds was at least half a head shorter than all the other boys. I'm not sure putting him in second grade is the best plan, either.

I once again asked dh to read the at least the first two chapters of WTM, but he somehow became "too busy" last night. He is just so set against homeschooling in his mind, but I truly think it's the right way to go with this child, in particular. I wouldn't mind keeping the younger one in Kindergarten this year. He likes his class and his teacher, and I think they are learning quite a bit. If things change for him, I would pull him out, too. I'm just so frustrated.

Our school does not grade skip. Ever. I don't know that it would have been a good idea, in retrospect, as DS is short for his age and his penmanship is terrible. He could never had kept up with the writing. :tongue_smilie:

He really believes they NEED to be in school for the social interaction.
I wanted to comment on your above quote.

I have never, ever met anyone that doesn't homeschool that "gets" the homeschool socialization thing. Everyone 'on the outside' says, "But what about socialization?"

My response?

Well, DS takes an art history class with a dozen other homeschool children at an art gallery every Monday. He has guitar lessons once a week. And he is in a zoology program with a certified biologist with 30 other children on Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday he played at the park for 3 hours with 16 other homeschooled children. On Friday, he has a class at a local nature center with 20 other homeschooled children.

Our NOT-back-to-school party had more than 50 children in attendance.

We attended two Valentine parties last year where we knew almost all of the children at both. One party had over 100 children. And - yes - my DS knew the majority of the children.

DS plays with two children in our neighobrhood that attend public school.

DS has taken swim lessons, dance lessons, chess class, played in a chess tournament...

We are going on a field trip next week w/50 other children. And another field trip the following week with just one other family.

He attends garden club meetings with me and helps maintain the gardens at a low rent housing area in town. He volunteers at the food pantry once a month, stocking shelves.

Well, you get the idea. How much more socialization do you want? Because I am worn out from all this socialization!!!

Seriously, I don't even know why socialization is an issue to non-homeschoolers. If they could watch a video of our week, they would realize how silly that comment really is! So I understand that your husband won't entertain the idea of homeschooling because he is worried about that - but it is such a non-issue it is laughable.

I do realize it depends on where you live... (I am lucky to live in a suburb between two major cities.) But I have found that there are so many more opportunities available to my son that aren't as easily available to his friends that attend public school.

he brought up the whole grade skipping thing again. However, ds is already one of the smallest kids in his class. I took ds to an informational meeting to join cub scouts last night, and the pack leader had all the 1st graders stand up front in a row, and ds was at least half a head shorter than all the other boys. I'm not sure putting him in second grade is the best plan, either.

The height thing is certainly an issue to consider. I *do* really love homeschooling as an option, so *I* would probably choose that over a grade skip.

Something to chew on though... a friend in another state has a gifted and academically advanced child who is very short for his age. She and her husband were conficted about the idea of a grade skip because of this. However, due to genetics, the child will always be very short... They finally decided that it didn't matter if he was the shortest one in first grade or the shortest one in second grade. They were able to get the grade skip for him and she is very happy. (They only homeschooled for Kindergarten and first grade --when he was 4 and 5-- in order to have more "proof" that he could handle a grade skip. Her intention had always been to put him back in school.) I guess it's working out well for the boy so far.

My kids are tall for their age, so I've never had to face this issue. (In fact, my ds is still the tallest in his class, even with the grade skip.)

I hope everything works out well for you and your son.

:)

Edited by zaichiki