Menu

I never thought I would be thinking about homeschooling...

But I am now. I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 10m old. Lately, I have really been thinking about wanting to homeschool our kids. I use to be a teacher before I had kids and am just overall disappointed in the public schools and private school is too expensive. I currently do not send any of them to a preschool or MDO.

So, can you please answer some questions for me? I would really appreciate it.

1. How do you have time to do anything else besides homeschool? How do get time to yourself? I don't have family in town, so that concerns me. What about chores?

2. I haven't even metioned this to my husband yet. In past conversations though, he said there is zero chance he will let me homeschool. He thinks all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Any advice? I know I need to pray and that is what I am doing.

3. Do you get burnt out? What do you do about that?

4. How do you children participate in sports, like football, are there a lot of homeschool teams out there?

5. What is one piece of advice you feel is important for someone to know in my situation?

Thanks so much!

But I am now. I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 10m old. Lately, I have really been thinking about wanting to homeschool our kids. I use to be a teacher before I had kids and am just overall disappointed in the public schools and private school is too expensive. I currently do not send any of them to a preschool or MDO.

1. How do you have time to do anything else besides homeschool? How do get time to yourself? I don't have family in town, so that concerns me. What about chores?

Hsing is like having a full time job. You juggle the house, the outside activities and school. I honestly don't get much time completely off, although now that my kids are older they can play quietly while I cook or read or visit the boards. Chores have to be done around school, sometimes they don't get done in my house.

2. I haven't even metioned this to my husband yet. In past conversations though, he said there is zero chance he will let me homeschool. He thinks all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Any advice? I know I need to pray and that is what I am doing.

We started hsing because we had no other viable choice. Dh was reluctantly on board.

Sometimes I'm tired, but since we have no good alternative, hsing is just a part of life. I can't get burnt out on chores, altough I'd love to try that excuse. :lol:

4. How do you children participate in sports, like football, are there a lot of homeschool teams out there?

Until at least middle school, the teams around here are not organized through the schools. My kids are able to participate in more activities than they could if they were in ps because our schedule is more compact and we don't have evening homework.

5. What is one piece of advice you feel is important for someone to know in my situation?

You don't have to live or die by what you choose at the beginning. Try out hsing your 4yo this year and see how it goes. If your dh insists, try ps next year and see if you and your dc like it. If you love hsing or hate psing, then welcome to the club. If not, ps isn't awful, it works well for lots of families.

Thanks so much!

Hope that helps!

1. How do you have time to do anything else besides homeschool? How do get time to yourself? I don't have family in town, so that concerns me. What about chores? Since your dc are so young hsing will not take as much time as you think. If you including reading to your dc, the longest it would probably take a day is 2 hours. The time for yourself is the same as w/ps for you for now. It will be a while before they were all school age anyway. You do what you can. As for chores think of them as Home Ec and teach your dc how to clean. ;)

2. I haven't even metioned this to my husband yet. In past conversations though, he said there is zero chance he will let me homeschool. He thinks all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Any advice? I know I need to pray and that is what I am doing. I am a firm believer in having both parents agree to hsing or psing. Even if it is reluctantly. My dh was not totally sold on hsing but thought "it's K, how bad can she (me) screw it up" Now he is a big believer and supporter. He has seen the results. Not just my kids, but others as well. As for the social weirdos. Well, some kids that are hsed are a bit weird. So are some kids that are psed. If it is the weirdness that is polite exchange with adults, I will take that any day over the grunts that pass for responses from many of the teens I encounter on a regular basis. :D

3. Do you get burnt out? What do you do about that? Sometimes. There are days when we take a day off. That is the beauty of it. I would imagine there are a lot of parents who send their kids to school that would just love to take a day, but feel like they cannot.

4. How do you children participate in sports, like football, are there a lot of homeschool teams out there? We have been part of some various league that were not related to school. Plus a lot of areas have hs teams. I believe that in my state in the older grades hs kids may join the team (provided they are good enough).

5. What is one piece of advice you feel is important for someone to know in my situation? I am a Christian so the decision to hs was made with a lot of prayer by both my dh and myself. I did a ton of reading prior to the decision. Everything from John Gatto - Susan Wise Bauer. To me it is a personal, family decision. Read, read and read some more. I do not have a teaching certificate and I have taught 3 children how to read. According to NHERI the stats for standardized test scores are the same for hsed kids with parents who have a college degree or only high school. I think for parents who did not have a high school diploma it was a few pts lower, but still above the national average.

Thanks so much!

HTH

Lately, I have really been thinking about wanting to homeschool our kids.

You are not alone, I would venture to say that 80% of us never imagined homeschooling when we first started out.

Tongue in cheek, time to ourselves? Doesn't happen very often..honestly, do I miss it, maybe every other full moon every other year. My husband and I committed to always have a date night every Friday night before kids...we've done that 3x max in 14 years :D We actually would rather stay home and play yahtzee or go see a movie together...We did not have family in town when we started...2000 miles away in fact. Really made no difference, then we moved to within 5 miles of my parents, still had no impact...we got done (chores) what we could manage and as the kids grow older they take on more chores....we spend an hour each morning doing specific chores to keep the house running...sometimes we get behind but that's life...right now my sink is shiny, dishes are washing, beds are made, floor was vacuumed, horses fed, kittens/cats fed, dogs walked and exercised...but I have 3 loads of laundry waiting to push the other 3 out of my laundry room. oh well.

If you're in a large metro area or FL/CA/TX (large groups there) try and see if there is a local speech/debate homeschooling club (NCFCA is one of them)...volunteer to be a community judge for their tournaments..when I went to the national tournament just to see what it was like, I was floored by the skills and drive by these homeschooled kids..they were sharp as tacks and if everyone had a chance to see those tournaments, they'd want a piece of homeschooling! :) Other ways are to visit local parks on weekdays, you're bound to run into families there that can help you along! :)

Sure, I also got burned out when I was in a corporate sales position..but you have the flexibility of taking the day off, heading to a park, picking up some ice cream and a kite and relishing the fact that your kids can enjoy a beautiful day and all that God created rather than staring at a clock on a wall in a closed in room...

Loads of community sports (Upward Basketball, softball, baseball, football, soccer leagues, Irish dancing, gymnastics, tennis teams) You'll be amazed at the opportunities! Many are offering homeschool specific classes...and having great turnout!

Pray...give up what you learned about teaching..children are natural learners, don't try to do school at home (worksheets and check off lists) let their curiosity lead you those early years and READ READ READ often and good books!! Read these books "Honey for a Child's Heart" and "For the Children's Sake"....check out these titles on Amazon.com and look at the other books 'also bought by other reviewers'...it'll give you a great starting point!!!

Welcome to the thought!

Tara

My dc are 6, 4, and 3 so I was in your shoes about 2 years ago...

For Pre-K and K, the seatwork portion starts at about 5min reading instruction, 5min handwriting, and 5min math. We worked ourselves up from there. It's 1-on-1 tutoring, and the tutor has the opportunity to reinforce during teachable moments throughout the day;)...HSing is just MUCH more time-efficient than the classroom. I view a good solid 2 hours of unstructured outdoor play as vital "school-time" for young kids. I usually read, plan, surf the net, etc. while the kids play (I'm outside with them, just not "with" them kwim.) My family is all atleast 18hrs drive away - so my alone time happens when dh is home or when dc are sleeping. CHores? LOL - I'm not the one to ask.:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

Meet some HSers. Make out lists of pros/cons for public, private, and home schooling. If your public school is failing, be sure to include the time it would take to tutor the kids after school to make up for poor academics....I'm guessing that would pretty much eat away all free time during the week. Keep a running conversation going now about pros/cons...don't try to talk him into it, let him come to the same conclusion. Listen to his pros/cons...address them seriously.

Yes! Chocolate. WTM message board. Long walks. Whittle down the schedule to the basic 3R's for a few a while. Address a character issue that has been growing below the surface (often mine;))... I school year round, 6 weeks on and 1 week off so I take frequent breaks.

In my area there are TONS of opportunities for HSers, although we don't choose to take part right now. I live in an area with lots of HSers, and my dc can generally run out in the backyard and find other HSers to play with in the afternoons.

Don't try and imitate the classroom in your home. Take this time while your dc are young to read, read, read every HSing philosophy out there. Realize you have been HSing since your 4yo was born, and that 4yo doesn't morph into a "kindergartener" by magic on the 1st day of September the year he/she is 5. It's still the same kid - with the same interests and learning style. Start with 5min a day, and gradually work up from there. That's more than one piece of advice, but I'll add - read aloud as much as humanly possible, and then listen to audio books.:D Enjoy this time!

Thanks so much!

I have an only child, which may make it easier. I also worked 20hrs/wk until he was 12 and now 30hrs/wk, which definitely makes it more difficult. Besides working and homeschooling, I get to the YMCA on almost a daily basis and sing in a community choir. Dh is available for childcare in the evenings and eventually the children grow old enough to allow you 1.5 hrs out during the day even. Some years, dh was in school and could watch ds during the day. Some years, I sent ds to an after school program at the local rec center. No family here either. I give ds a chore a day. My goal in life is to teach him to clean up after himself. It is a daily battle. :tongue_smilie:

Point out the social weirdos in school - there are plenty. My ds is more outgoing and friendly and happy than 90% of the children in school. I went to private/public/private schools and didn't learn to stand up for myself until I was in my 30s. Assure dh that you will not isolate your dc. Develop friendships with some "normal" homeschoolers.

Absolutely, especially with the lovely introduction of puberty and peri-menopause. I now take a nap every afternoon. I also continue one day at a time. I outsource time-intensive subjects.

Ds plays many sports through city leagues. He plays more than most because he has more time available with no homework. Last year, he played on the local public middle school basketball team. He'll try out again this year.

My major reason for hs'ing was academics. It is a delight to see intimately what ds is learning. It is also a terrifying responsibility (for me). It is a delight to see a child grow into who they are, not who their peers demand them to be. My only advice is to see if you can try it for a year, and then evaluate.

HTH!

Public school is no picnic!! :crying:

We did public school for 2 years...let me tell you...when we started homeschooling, it was like a gigantic, smelly elephant stood up and walked out of the room.

I NEVER had any freetime when the kids were in ps either. I had to stand down at the bus stop from 7:40-8:10am for the morning bus, 11:35-11:45am for the kindergarten bus and 3:10-3:20pm for the afternoon bus. Let's not mention the constant fundraisers, candy sales, order forms to fill out, the nonstop parent paperwork that gets shoved into their take-home folders every day. I was always running up to the school because my daughter had a tick, or my son was smacked in the face on the playground or my daughter had a stomachache. :willy_nilly:

The school was always calling too. My son decided to use his "alien writing" during journal time, my son actually fell asleep at school in kindergarten, my daughter was being sent to "special testing", my son was being sent to the "special reading lady"... Oh, yeah, it was like a full-time job. :nopity:

Oh, let's not open the homework can 'o worms...because when your kids have homework, YOU have homework. This means that you have to drive to Hobby Lobby to make a poster of 100 pink ponies or try to find a white bucket hat at Michael's. :driving:

Oh, and then there's the emergencies...the school was on lock-down because of a shooting/murder, there were at least 2 gas leaks last year because of street construction...

Last but not least, let's not forget the wonderful social problems I was constantly dealing with...my kindergartener being told by another kid that if he came back to school tomorrow, he would beat the &^% out of him...my daughter coming home and telling me that some girl bit her on the playground...my daughter telling me about this boy named Max on the bus who was trying to get kids to touch his you-know-what...:glare:

Honestly, I just don't miss it right now. For someone with 4 kids, homeschooling has removed so much stress and behavior problems from our family. Even the 2 oldest kids are starting to get along really well (watch for flying pigs). :boxing_smiley:

Good luck with whatever decision works best for your family! :auto:

I don't have much time other than school and my kids activities unless I do it before they get up or after they go to bed. After they go to bed I have some time for myself, but other than that not much. Chores are done when the kids have recess or after they go to bed unless it is something they can help with or do alone (cleaning windows, sorting laundry, etc).

Not sure. My dh was on board, but we went to a high school with a high teen pregnancy rate and a murder rate.

Yes, then comes summer LOL. Seriously, by March we are itching for a break, so some years we take a week or two off and finish the year.

There are alot of homeschool opportunities in our area including a 6 man football league and this year we had our first ever track and field competition. Some business offer homeschool classes like gymnastics, dance, music and so on. We also participate in a co-op where the kids get to take some fun classes that I know nothing about like taekwando (sp?).

Relax, kids will love to learn if they enjoy what they are learning and you make it fun. Do alot of reading out loud throughout the day. My preschooler knows more about biology, history, art and so on than I did in high school, because I read alot of books out loud.

Edited by dwkilburn1
spelling errors

You are facing so many things that many of us face when making this decision. I see lots of people have answered your questions in their own way, but did want to add an encouragement to your last question. You do this because you know in your heart that your children are the most precious thing you will ever have on this earth. You aren't willing to send them into a situation where you have no idea what they are being exposed to and, in many cases, no control over what they are being taught. You love them so much that you want to be the biggest influence in their lives so they will learn your values, not the values of the school system.

The rest is sometimes challenging, especially finding time for yourself. But if you remember that the minute you hand your precious gifts over to the school system, you lose control over their lives, you will find the strength to keep on going!!!!!

Kelly

P.S. My husband was not on board about home schooling at all in the beginning, but now he wouldn't have it any other way. Try talking to him to find out why he thinks homeschool kids are weird. Many of the people I talk to have a preconceived idea about homeschoolers that has no basis in reality at all. It is kind of an old-fashioned idea that homeschooled kids aren't socialized, and you can find all sorts of info in books and on line about how much better homeschooled kids actually function compared to public school kids. Maybe you can compare homeschool kids you know to kids in public school - my experience is that girls going into 7th or 8th grade in public school tend to look/act/dress like girls used to in high school, while home school girls could care less about all that stuff. If that isn't enough motivation for a dad, I don't know what would be! HA!

You are facing so many things that many of us face when making this decision. I see lots of people have answered your questions in their own way, but did want to add an encouragement to your last question. You do this because you know in your heart that your children are the most precious thing you will ever have on this earth. You aren't willing to send them into a situation where you have no idea what they are being exposed to and, in many cases, no control over what they are being taught. You love them so much that you want to be the biggest influence in their lives so they will learn your values, not the values of the school system.

The rest is sometimes challenging, especially finding time for yourself. But if you remember that the minute you hand your precious gifts over to the school system, you lose control over their lives, you will find the strength to keep on going!!!!!

Kelly

Well said.

Hi Homemaker!

My dh was adamant against homeschooling so I considered it for two seconds and discarded it thinking, "I don't want to fight about it and it's probably too hard anyway."

We put our twin boys in a "great" school that has a list for one semester and pulled them last Christmas. There were too many things we didn't like but the saddest was hearing my darling 5 year old yell, "Dick! Dick! Dick!" at the top of lungs after hanging out with his "3rd Grade Buddy" (set up by the school and not well supervised).

With all respect to your dh, he's thinking of homeschoolers from the 70's and 80's who were odd seeming. Today, the homeschool kids are amazing: nothing odd about them at all. I would assume that's partially because there's so much out there for hs kids: karate, 4H, tennis, pottery class (my kids do these. (Nobody is holing up in their homes anymore.)

One homeschool boy I know is the epitome of confidence and cool. You'd never pick him out as weird. (Plus there are plenty of weird kids in ps. Please.)

Finding time for chores and for yourself, admittedly, is tough. What I soon learned is that homeschooling isn't necessarily a thing that you do, but an entire lifestyle that you embrace.

I've learned to wake up an hour before my kids so I have time for coffee and the paper. I've also learned to simply take time. The boys are playing with Lego's, I get on the computer and get the bills done. Part of homeschooling is letting the kids into your life so that they totally get what happens at the bank, the stores, with bill paying, at the post office etc. (I don't have family help either.)

Consider talking to your husband about homeschooling "just for this year." Just take it a year at a time and hopefully he'll start seeing the difference between his kids and ps kids. (Fewer bad words, less "attitude, increased learning.)

I've only been doing this for 3/4 of a year, but I'm finding that I learn something new almost every day that helps me be a better hs mom. I learn little tricks/ideas that make everything go easier. I have two boys who definitely try to get the upper hand, but I'm learning. (Ex: "If you aren't able to finish your writing, you'll need to finish it instead of going to karate." Amazing how well that works!)

I soooo worried about organized sports just like you. And funny enough, I now have the boys in karate and tennis. I picked tennis because it's a sport they can do into their 80's, on vacation, with friends etc. It's lifelong. I did a lot of team sports as a kid and won "most valuable player" awards etc. and didn't get a whole lot out of the experience. The whole "you learn to be a team player" thing didn't happen for me.

Turn around and those kids will be headed for college. Be with them now: don't lose thirty hours plus all the get ready/decompress time to the schools.

Take good care,

Alley

Homeschooling is like having a job. Everything else takes second place, but there's still time for a lot. For a long time, we had quiet time after lunch for my sanity. That hasn't been possible this year, but I seem to be surviving--after dinner I sometimes go hibernate in my room. I've never been the greatest housekeeper, but I've been trying to improve every year. Last year, when my kids were 5 and 8, I started using Managers of Their Chores, and though I don't schedule out my day in 15-minute increments (:blink:), it has helped me a lot.

2. Sorry, don't know what to do about that.

Take a few weeks in summer to not think about homeschooling. Go on dates with my husband every Saturday.

There are local leagues that aren't connected with schools. We do dance and kung fu.

It's not easy, but if it's right for your family, it is very worth it! Do make sure to have some time for yourself. It gets easier--the first year is hard, and you sort of grow into it. I look back and realize that things that seemed very difficult at first have now become totally manageable. Homeschoolers aren't saints or particularly special--we've just decided what we want and what we're willing to do to get there. And, have fun and enjoy all this great time! I'm so grateful that I've been blessed to spend these short, special years with my kids.

I'd like to add that in many ways, my life is easier than my friends with kids in PS. PS is hard work too!

I didnt have family support either. My kids were a little older than yours when I started, though. What I found is that I really enjoyed being with my kids much more than when they wre going to school and coming home with nasty behaviours and attitudes. They sweetened up.

I made a routine that included- and still does- an afternoon rest and quiet time. SWB recommends this too. 2 hours in the afternoon where the kids are in their rooms reading or playing quietly- or napping- and i am in my room. Often napping too.

Its a big issue- getting enoguh time alone- when kids are little, but as they get older, its not such an issue.

My dh was against it. When I mentioned it when my kids were the ages of your oldest 2, he was just plain dismissive. I didnt push it at that time. A couple of years later-couple of damaging years for my younger son- I printed off several fairly short articles supporting homeschooling and made him read them. He eventually saw I was determined- but still didnt think I was possibly capable. Then he realised our son was really struggling at school. He gave me a 6month trial.

Within a couple of weeks he was my strongest supporter and has been ever since. When *I* talk about the kids going back to school- when I am having a bad day- he is adamant that he never wants them to go back.

I take more naps, get more sleep, look for inspiration, change something we are doing to make it new, buy some curriculum :), or sometimes, take the day off and go to the beach (I wish I had done more field trips when my kids were younger).

I dont know since i am in Australia, but here there are plenty of sports they can be involved in, and plenty of homescholing groups they can socialise and do classes with. My kids are also in Scouts.

You can do it.

The hardest part of homeschooling for me was making the decision to do it. I felt like I was going to ruin my kids' lives, that it was going out on such a big limb, such a risk. Once I decided to trial it...there was no looking back at all. The family lifestyle is just awesome. The potential to excel academically is there too. The ability to cater to your kids' indiviuality is something schools just cant do.

Hang out on these boards. They are the best for support.

A combination of thinking and choices :)

First, I didn't feel I needed a 40hour per week break. You probably don't need that much of a break from your kids or even think you need that either.

Second, you do need to make sure you get some time for yourself, chores, socializing. However, this really isn't that hard. For example, my children, until recently, went to bed pretty early. That gave me alone time and hubby time almost every evening. And once in a while, you can trade off care with a friend. A lot of people take advantage of early morning, before kids get up, also. For chores? While your kids are little, your schooling hours will be a bit less (individual tutoring just doesn't take nearly as long as a classroom of 15 littles). Then, once school starts taking longer, you'll also have children who will be more help. Most 8yr olds are capable of doing any chore in the house if they've been taught, for example. And then I encourage you to enjoy your friends, have playdates, enjoy at least the social activities with other homeschoolers (lessons can be done before and after park days, swim parties, field trips, etc or you can appreciate those days for what they are and skip lessons. We do both, depending). Of course, things like date nights and such become even more important.

But one consideration is that you just may not need as much time as you think you do. I really didn't do too much alone time or social time when my children were young. But I don't require as much as other people either. You'll end up being able to guage for yourself and then you need to tweak your choices to meet those needs :)

What I did to convince myself the rest of the way (past academics) and my hubby was simply to research. Then when I was reading and read something interesting, I'd give just that little snippet of information to hubby. Highlight books left in the bathroom or sometimes say "honey, did you know that this study I'm reading about shows that homeschoolers score well on this socialization scales, better in ______(area)."

One thing many people do is suggest that it's not an all or nothing proposition. You can give it a year or two and reevaluate. Then you just need to make sure that your children are getting the things important to hubby met during that time so he can see they are benefiting in all these areas, but aren't missing out in areas of concern also.

Depends on the kind of burn out. Sometimes it's a matter of going to the park and not worrying about academics that day. Sometimes it's a matter of changing methods temporarily or even permanently. Sometimes it's a matter of tweaking a few subjects/materials/etc. Sometimes you need a temporary overhaul. Sometimes you need to reevaluate.

This really depends on location. In our area, football, basketball, baseball, and golf are all available for homeschoolers. Kids on these teams have even gotten college scholarships. I think I've heard a few have even gone on! There are also choirs, co-ops for various academics and non-academics, etc. This is just going to grow so by the time your children are preteens and young teens, who knows what all will be in your area.

Homeschooling is an awesome opportunity for children and families. It is also a huge responsibility.

One consideration is that educating your children is ALWAYS your responsibility. You may or may not delegate out some of the work included but the job getting done, and done well, is YOUR responsibility.

If you decide not to delegate, then you really have to step up to the plate. You sound like a nice person so hopefully that is the least of your problems. But I still want to encourage you to just decided to be a good conscientious homeschooler.

From there? simply enjoy your journey. It is so worth it. In 10, 12, 14 years, you'll be so glad you got to spend so much time with them, got to encourage their interests to a greater degree, and got to be the one to help them learn to read and do algebra. The relationship is awesome. I wish every parent of young children could experience, for just a day, the joys of having done this for a decade or so. It's beautiful :)

Thank you so much for everyone's responses! They have all been very helpful.

I don't kid myself that it is going to be A LOT of work and that is a big worry. I use to teach in a private school and we had a few homeschool kids enroll after hsing and they were way behind on stuff and that worries me too.

We live in an area that has "great" public schools, but they focus soooo much on testing, they don't hardly even study history and science, there is so much bias in the textbooks, so much time taken to displine students (and that doesn't even work), they maybe do 1 field trip a year, metioning God is a no-no, etc. I could go on and on and that is why I am really considering hsing. I would love the idea to choose high quality faith based curriculum, take lots of field trips, have time to enroll them in neat activities and community service projects, take vacations without having to worry about school, and not my kids constantly bombared with negative influences.

Ughhh.. I am praying that God will make it clear to me and especially my husband if hsing would be a good fit for us.

Regarding the hsers being behind. Well, the reason they were put into private school was LIKELY because homeschooling was not working for the family. Though sometimes homeschoolers choose to go to school at some point, most who end up in school have a reason. My point is simply that you were seeing a biased sample of homeschoolers.

Many of us are doing beautifully. A recent release shows that studied homeschoolers score, on average, at like the 83rd percentile. That study is pretty flawed, but it does show that a good number of homeschoolers are excelling from home. My own experience is similar. My daughter did beautifully throughout homeschooling. My son struggles considerably, but his level is about DOUBLE what his prognosis suggested. That is more telling of success than a naturally capable student doing well, imo.

I hope hubby comes along :)

Your husband's support, or lack of opposition at least, will be important. Were I in your shoes, I would devote all my initial energy to overcoming this through persuasion and examples first. In the process, I think you will get better and better at devising your own specific ideas on how to educate your children. If there are hs-ers who meet at the park on a certain day, try to meet them first and then invite your dh to come along (after you've met everyone first). If you DH is a fan of a certain subject ... history or NASCAR or birdwatching ... or whatever, try a small unit study on this with the kids and he can observe of what value hs-ing is. For me, once it dawned on me, the the main attraction of hs-ing was framed less in "what can I do with it" than what can I do when released from a prison. It is easy to criticize things on a theoretical level. It is harder to do so when there are tangible results in front of you. If secondary income from your WOH is not an large obstacle, it is a much easier sell. And I'm sorry to offend anyone who feels that viewing it as "selling it" is not a noble pursuit. My husband was the only one in the world I cared to sell it to. Everyone else just had to deal. But since the kids are as much his as mine, I felt I had to, in my own interest and the kids too, as much as his. Things turned out well in our household.

We do lots of things together as a family, and, honestly, dh and I get very little time to ourselves or alone. However, we've gotten used to it -- after all, the pioneers didn't send their children off to babysitters, and they shared one room cabins with them all! We're grateful for the privacy we do get, and, as the children get older and more independent, it gets easier. The same with chores, as the children get older, we've been able to give them more and more responsibility, and many hands make light work. Even when they were little, they had basic chores such as cleaning up their rooms and helping to sort laundry.

Do you know any homeschoolers? There are a wide variety around us, from social butterflies to social rejects -- pretty much what you'd find in the public school arena. Most of the homeschooled children I've known who've gone on to public school and adult life have done exceptionally well both academically and socially, however. My dh wasn't sure about homeschooling in the beginning, but now he can't imagine choosing anything else and is very glad he was willing to try it.

In eleven years of homeschooling, I've never had burn out. There are some bad days, certainly, but I was a ps teacher previously and can tell you that there are lots of bad days there, too. However, I've never seriously considered quitting homeschooling and am very grateful to have been able to do it.

We're not a sporty family, but I know lots of hsers who compete on a variety of teams. Let's see: community swim teams through the YMCA, gymnastics clubs, community soccer and baseball, Christian school basketball teams that allow homeschoolers to join, dancing schools & competitions, martial arts studios, equestrian teams, tennis and golf teams through the local clubs -- there are plenty of opportunities around for those who want them, and I live in a very small community.

Get organized before you start. If you have your home organized, your children obedient, and a good, yet still flexible, schedule, you'll make your job a lot easier. Most people I know who've "quit" homeschooling have done it due to consistently poorly behaved children (not that any child doesn't have his or her moments!), consistent disorganization/sloth/overcommitment to other things on the part of the homeschooling parent (again, not that all of us don't have our moments), or a financial need/desire for both parents to work.

1. How do you have time to do anything else besides homeschool?

when they were in kindergarten, we started "school" at 9am. we did a circle time based on a theme of the week (there are great idea books out there). that would include some kind of singing, finger rhyme and craft (all in the book) we did Singapore early bird math. then it was 10 o'clock (see below) and coffee break time. then we went for an outdoor walk, had free time, did our chores, had lunch, had happy horizontal hour, woke up and did Beore five in a row for an hour, played outside, had playdates, did other things (shopping, chores, outside classes like ballet and gymnastics). it was a lovely time.

How do get time to yourself?

i schedule it in. when they were in kindergarten, they watched a magic school bus video, or leapfrog, or other educational video from 10am-10:3oam. that was my coffee break. they did "happy horizontal hour" after lunch for an hour. that was heaven.

I don't have family in town, so that concerns me. What about chores?

me neither. we schedule in chores. they spend 15 minutes tidying their rooms, making their beds, etc. right after breakfast. since they were little, they each have helped with laundry and dishes, and they do that while the other one is working on something longer than they are, or before lunch, whichever comes first.

i would get one of the theme books through the year and start doing that with the kids each day. its a great way to be 4 years old : ). and its a great way for you to learn how to juggle babies, toddlers and teaching. the theme book should work well for the toddler, too. and it will help your husband see the crafts and the joy happening. complaining about how tired you are during this is probably right out. then you can broach the subject after a few months when you have the kinks ironed out and know you can do it. i would also choose a "field trip" destination once a month (or more) and do that, too. at church, i would look for homeschooling families to befriend. i would also keep track of violence issues at the school, education results from the school, etc, etc.... and mention them as i read online or in the paper. (but that's something dh and i do each day; we have morning coffee together and read news on line and comment on what we're reading to one another).

then, once i was sure i could do it and wanted to do it and we knew other homeschoolers, i would ask him to pray about it, and then we'd talk. (for my dh, the news of a grade 3 pulling a knife on another child in the bathroom at the local school was the turning point. i had always thought it would be the quality of the education, but that was, surprisingly, not what turned the tide.)

its like any other thing. there are good days, and then there are the other kind....

we mix it up a bit when i feel burnout coming on. we have a backwards day, with dinner for breakfast, doing subjects in a reverse order, having pancakes for breakfast, we do a pyjama day, we do a john lennon and yoko ono day where we do all our work tucked in under a quilt in the master bedroom. and we work for 6-8 weeks, then take a week off.

we started homeschool ballet and gymnastics classes and our friends joined in. football is a few years off, yes? you'd be tied in to the homeschool community by then.

that its a lifestyle choice that puts family at the front of the value system. and that once you've done it, its hard to imagine life any other way.

Thanks so much!

good luck!

ann

I haven't even metioned this to my husband yet. In past conversations though, he said there is zero chance he will let me homeschool. He thinks all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Any advice?

Can you find some homeschooled children and introduce him? If you call your local support group and explain the situation, someone might have a fourteen-year-old you can borrow for chores for a Saturday or something. Tell him the kid is homeschooled after the "playdate" (if it goes well).

We do a quick pick-up at the beginning of each day and right before Daddy gets home, and I clean throughout the day. My kids help too. Formal schooling only takes about 4 hours tops--that is for a 3rd, 2nd and K. I make everyone take a quiet time in the afternoon, so that is my time to myself. Also, I get out one evening a week or so for errands and stuff.

Are there any homeschooling families at your church? You could also get in touch with a homeschool co-op or support group and see if you could do field trips or play days with them...if he knew some homeschoolers he (hopefully) wouldn't think they were all weird! And maybe he'd be more open to it if he knew you were seriously considering it. Does he share your concerns about your local schools?

Yes...really, not that much though. We take days off or do cooking projects, trips to the science center, go for walks, get together with other homeschooling families...sometimes just being able to gripe a little to someone who understands does a world of good!

We haven't done much of that either, but your community should have a parks & rec department that does a lot of that stuff. In WA (and probably in other states), I think homeschoolers can participate in high school sports. We are in a great co-op too. That helps them be able to do a lot of group-type activities that they can't do as easily at home.

Pray, pray and pray some more! I would start by working on getting your husband on board. I know other moms feel differently, but I wouldn't homeschool if my husband was completely opposed to it. If you can, try to address his concerns. Let him know why you don't like the public schools...chances are, he'll understand. If you can, see if he'll agree to taking it a year at a time...and work really hard at making friends with other homeschoolers who aren't weird and who share your values.

Assuming you can get him on board, I would start really slow--lots of reading, lots of library trips, a little math and handwriting each day, etc. Spend some time teaching them how to do easy chores and keep their rooms clean. And make sure they have toys that encourage learning and creativity--legos, blocks, puzzles, dress-up, dolls, and a backyard. :) That's all they need until 1st grade.

Everyone has answered well...let me just add one thing about time to yourself...yours are young enough that time to yourself happens during naps (2 1/2hrs/day is a lot of time and you can get a lot done). Also, you have every evening after x:00 (for me it is 8:00)...again, lots of time! I say this with confidence b/c mine are similar ages so I feel like I am in the same boat, sort of.

Everyone answered so well. I'm just going to say a few things.

My husband REFUSED to let me homeschool at first, and the more I learned the more I refused to let them go back to school. It was a trial basis at first but now he is my biggest supporter and is the one that hugs me up and throws me back in the game when things get tough.

I did have to remind him in the very beginning when we were fighting about it that I was half of the marriage and he was not the king who got to lay down the law-I had concerns that weren't being met and I was not going to allow him dismiss them. Compromise. Do a trial basis at first, and then see where it goes.

Homeschooled kids are weird? So, he wants his kids socialized at school where it's worse? My kids are in scouts, acting, yoga classes...you get the picture.

Lastly. Homeschooling's learning curve is an organic process, and like all things, you'll be an expert and feel like you can finally do it right by the time your baby is a freshman in college. *g* Give yourself the time and slack to adjust, not only emotionally, but academically. You may find yourself making minor adjustments to your planning, scheduling, curriculum all the time. That's OK. Children-people-are not stagnant. Homeschooling is a journey with many mountains and valleys. It's also fluid, so don't put outrageous expectations on yourself.

We have a quiet time every day, and a solid bedtime. They know that at 8 pm the kitchen is CLOSED, and that Mom is upstairs, watching the news and reading. And even if I'm 1/2 hour off schedule -even an hour off- that time is still there for me to recharge.

It was the best thing I ever did for our family. We are tight. We are a unit. There is love, and peace and good will towards each sibling. The fight is worth it.

Edited by justamouse

I just want to add that this board is amazing... Everyday I pick up information, support, and advice that I didn't even know that I needed! I am a whopping 5 weeks into our homeschooling journey. The first day I broke out into a sweat when I announced to the boys we were going upstairs to "do school". My whole life I have pretty much been "mainstream" and breaking away from the "pack" was/is a frightening decision! I know in my heart that this is what is right for my children and my family. I just want to let you know you are not alone!

:grouphug:

Homeschooling really does become a "lifestyle" choice after a while.

A book you might want to look at (I did NOT read it cover to cover, but thought it would be a good "thinking about HSing book") The Homeschooling Option by Lisa Rivero. She never4 intended on HSing, just decided to do it while waiting for a spot to open in the "great" private school, and when it did... she couldn't do it! So I would say it is an interesting viewpoint. Many people choose to before they have kids, some choose to when school age gets close, and others start after they have had negative experiences in brick and mortar schools.

There are a million reasons why and how you can HS, and it is dependant on each individual family.

I think everyone here who is 100% committed to HSing has had days they think it isn't working, or they made a mistake or it is driving them crazy... so of course it will happen if you are on the fence.

HSing has both positive and negative aspects, just as any school does. Other than doing a lot of reading, and advice asking... you could write up a pros and cons list for HSing AND PS/private schooling. Try to think of everything you can, and then just look at it. See which outweighs which, and where the most important factors for your family lies. It might be a nice eye opener.

I also would say, that until YOU are extremely confident with the decision...and can really support your feelings/thoughts/reasoning for wanting to HS you should not press the issue too much with your husband. You have plenty of time for that. :D enjoy your little ones!!!

HSing is NOT like in a classroom. You do not wrangle 25+ kids. You only need to worry about the one you are doing things with right then. It doesn't take as much time as you think it should.

I am babbling, and need to teach MY kids something.... :lol:

Good luck! Don't fret!

I was a public school teacher before I had kids as well. You'd be surprised to find out how many of us there are. Like a waiter who refuses to eat out after seeing what goes on behind the scenes, LOL! We decided to homeschool for pretty much the same reason you did.

Homeschooling is a way of life in our family. I don't separate school time from family time or vice versa. In my opinion, that's one of the cool things about homeschooling. The kids have quiet time each afternoon where they either nap or play quietly in their room. This is my time to myself. Chores are easier to do than when I was working full-time because I am home. It doesn't take much time to toss clothes into the dryer when I'm home and it's something I can do (or have DD do) in only a couple of minutes.

I never told my DH I wanted to hs in the beginning. I just started telling him things I'd heard about homeschooling, what opportunities were available in our town (Isn't that neat?), and reminding him of all the negatives of public schools. By the time I came out and said I wanted to hs, DH was tentatively on board with the idea. Now he's the biggest HS supporter I know!

I'm sure I'll get burnt out at some point. But I got burnt out when I was teaching public school too. At least now I have the ability to change things and try new things when that happens. And, remember, it's such a brief time we have with them...why would I want to send them away?

I'm not really looking at this yet since my kids are so little. But DD right now does swimming through the Y and gymnastics. Our Y also has softball, basketball, soccer, etc. that she can do. I know our city does have homeschool teams for sports. There's also a homeschool choir and band. And we have proms and graduation ceremonies too.

Don't feel like you have to get it all right from day 1. Homeschooling is a chance for you to learn as much as your kids do. We've all made mistakes. But if it's something you really want, learn from your mistakes and keep going. :)

Thanks so much!

Good luck!

:lol::lol: LOL... well, after some time, you do get used to the routine and the fact it is 24/7 with family. Hubby used to work at home while I homeschooled for the first 5.5 years. Hubby and I tease each other we'd get along swell with each other as retirees... since we spend so much time together without grumbling! It was very nice to have everyone together!! Since June 2009, he now goes to work (down the street). We love spending time with each other. We help out with everyone pitching in on chores. I love to cook -- so the kitchen is my domain. Sonny boy is just learning how to cook and likes to help out. You just need to find a routine that fits your family and stick to it. And be flexible with HSing. If not, it will be very stressful.

I have yet to meet a homeschooler that is a social weirdo. LOL I have met so many impressive teens who are at the end of HSing and nearing college... from a accomplished violinist to a brilliant engineer to a Honey Queen. They are mature and delightful... not weird or nerdy. Your hubby really needs to better understand this by visiting a local HS support group's BBQ or meeting.

It would be very difficult (IMO) if hubby is not on board with you for homeschooling. You will be bearing a huge burden on your shoulders if he doesn't help or support homeschooling. Which would put a strain on the marriage. Have you looked into a charter school or private school as other options? Have you had the chance to ask the kids what they want?

Of course. Everyone does. When I taught full time as a schoolteacher, I was eager for school to begin and then burnt out towards the end of the year praying for June to come. It is perfectly normal. You will need to find a local support group whom you can talk out your worries or fears to and get wisdom and advice for HSing.

In our area, we have a HS football league, some school districts allow HSers to participate in band and sports, many take extracurricular activities and the sort. My son takes guitar lessons, tennis lessons, is active in 4H Club and does tons of community service. There are tons of HSers who choose to HS due to pursuing a sport.

Read as much as you can about HSing. It is not to be taken lightly. You will be the main provider for educating your children. But you can do this! There will be good days and days when you wonder why you chose to do this. Pray about this. There is sacrifice involved... but the price is well worth investing in the life of your precious children!

How to Begin Homeschooling:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Beginning.htm

(Scroll down past the ads to begin reading...)

Edited by tex-mex

Thanks so much!

I am in your same boat! I was a teacher for several years, and now I am homeschooling my 8yo, 6yo, and 4yo for the first time. I also have a 2yo. We recently moved, and the public schools here are just not up to my standards, and the private ones too expensive. My older children went to private school (the same one I taught at) before the move.

My husband was all for homeschooling, while I was the one on the fence. I was worried about social skills. But they are in boy scouts, and we have their friends over from that quite a bit. Most churches are affiliated with a troop, so you can join through a church affiliation rather than a school. We also do Sunday school, and the boys play sports through local sports clubs. My oldest plays soccer, and my 6yo is going to start football next fall through the local boys and girls club. Most cities have pretty good recreational sports programs that are not affiliated through the school.

There are a lot of homeschoolers in my area, so there is a homeschool association we joined that organizes field trips and assemblies, get togethers, things like that. They also provide standardized testing every year, which is required periodically in GA. I am alone here as well, no family, and so reaching out to other families has been a big help. So has connecting with people on this forum!

I find that I am spending the same amount of time preparing for homeschooling as I did preparing for my classroom, but I spend a lot less time actually teaching. It takes a lot less time to help two students with math than to walk 20 students through a concept, and so you can move at a quicker pace. I'm still working out all the kinks, trying to find more independent math program so I have more time with my little ones.

My kids do have chores during the day. They have a few they do when they wake up before school, but they are easy such as make the bed, brush your teeth, put away your breakfast dishes. They also have chores they complete after lunch before they can go out for recess. They do about four tasks apiece, they pick up their toys and materials before lunch and clear their lunch dishes when they are done eating. They also take turns sweeping, dusting, washing windows, etc. Their bed time chore is to make sure their toys are all picked up and put away before bed. My boys have a long lunch recess, depending on how long it takes them to complete their chores they can have up to 45 minutes of free play. That is when I do some prep work and try to catch up on house work. I have also done most of my lesson planning on Thursday nights.

One thing I've also done to get me more time with my little ones or chores is use audio books online instead of reading aloud everyday. We read at least 4 stories a day or chapters from chapter books. I use some that are public domain from librivox and have the big kids listen while I play with the little ones or make lunch, etc. I also bought the cd's for SOTW used, and that has been a big help.

I would encourage you to go for it! One-on-one is just so much more effective than whole group instruction, and your kids can go at their own pace. That is such an advantage. Overall, I do not find homeschooling to be any more stressful, time consuming or challenging than teaching in a school environment. I enjoy it more, because I'm not dealing with difficult parents or with a school district's awful curriculum choices (unless they turn out to be my own :)

Hope that helped, I'm still learning myself, but so far I am excited! There is so much knowledge and wisdom on sites like these, that combined with your own experience makes me sure you can do it!

Edited by MyFourSons