Menu

Heart of Dakota users Check-in!

Tree House Academy

Has everyone started now? If so, how are you liking it?

We just finished Unit 6 in Bigger w/extensions. It is going beautifully. Little fella moved from Beyond down a level to Little Hearts this week, though, because I felt Beyond was just a bit above where he needed to be in the History, Science, and Poetry. We are really enjoying Little Hearts.

We use HOD with CLE math and LA and that is working perfectly. So far, so good. :)

I post my updates at the HOD board, but don't often post them here, so I thought I would start a thread.

Hi Rebecca,

I'm dale1088 over there at HoD.

We kinda sorta got started with Preparing this week but got derailed when I pulled out Singapore to get started again and realized it just wasn't going to work. So we had a slow week getting back into the groove while I await my order from CLE Math. I'm excited about the switch to CLE for math (I have read a lot of your posts about it, as well as others).

I think the workboxes are going to be great with Preparing. I made a spreadsheet for the week with what she's supposed to do and all the materials are found in the boxes. She knows what is to be done independently and what to come work with me on. So far I love Preparing and think it will be quite rigorous for 4th grade.

My little guy has just turned 5 so I am doing pre-k with him in Little Hands and he really likes it. Depending on how much work he gets in the groove with, I might start working on 100EZ with him too, and just keep adding whatever seems appropriate. For now he likes the pace.

All is well with HoD around here! I LOVE it!:D

We just finished our 3rd week using Beyond HOD for DD (5.5) and I will admit, I've tweaked it so much that I wonder if I'm really using it anymore. ;) I do use it as a jumping off point 2-3x a week. DD really likes the history book selections & I pick the best 'hands-on' activities in the unit to accompany that, as well as using the verse of the week.

But I didn't like the poem selections, and DD is very interested in science so we are using Real Science Odyssey.

I am using Singapore for math (at our own pace, as DD is moving quickly) but an eclectic mix for reading/phonics. We are loosely following read aloud selections, but on week 3 we've already read 8 books. I'm not good at reading 1 chapter and stopping. ;)

It has some great strengths, but not a perfect fit for us, so I've tossed out what doesn't work and have kept what does. ;)

Laura

Hi Rebecca,

I'm dale1088 over there at HoD.

We kinda sorta got started with Preparing this week but got derailed when I pulled out Singapore to get started again and realized it just wasn't going to work. So we had a slow week getting back into the groove while I await my order from CLE Math. I'm excited about the switch to CLE for math (I have read a lot of your posts about it, as well as others).

I think the workboxes are going to be great with Preparing. I made a spreadsheet for the week with what she's supposed to do and all the materials are found in the boxes. She knows what is to be done independently and what to come work with me on. So far I love Preparing and think it will be quite rigorous for 4th grade.

My little guy has just turned 5 so I am doing pre-k with him in Little Hands and he really likes it. Depending on how much work he gets in the groove with, I might start working on 100EZ with him too, and just keep adding whatever seems appropriate. For now he likes the pace.

All is well with HoD around here! I LOVE it!:D

We do love our CLE Math! :) Workboxes have been wonderful with HOD as well. My kids know what to expect and are really enjoying seeing the things disappear out of the boxes each day. Can't wait to see some updates from you on the HOD board once you get going again. We had a couple of strange stop/start type weeks too with changing to Little Hearts from Beyond and all...but we are back on track now! :)

We just finished our 3rd week using Beyond HOD for DD (5.5) and I will admit, I've tweaked it so much that I wonder if I'm really using it anymore. ;) I do use it as a jumping off point 2-3x a week. DD really likes the history book selections & I pick the best 'hands-on' activities in the unit to accompany that, as well as using the verse of the week.

But I didn't like the poem selections, and DD is very interested in science so we are using Real Science Odyssey.

I am using Singapore for math (at our own pace, as DD is moving quickly) but an eclectic mix for reading/phonics. We are loosely following read aloud selections, but on week 3 we've already read 8 books. I'm not good at reading 1 chapter and stopping. ;)

It has some great strengths, but not a perfect fit for us, so I've tossed out what doesn't work and have kept what does. ;)

Laura

Sounds like your dd is well advanced for her age. :) My son is almost 6, and while he excels in the "basics," he needed a much gentler approach in the history and science. He is doing the emerging readers and 2nd grade spelling lists from Beyond, though. The poetry in Beyond was too much for him (other than the picture drawing). He will grow into it, but I don't want to push.

Each child is different (even those in the same family!). I am glad you were able to tweek and make it still work somewhat for your dd. The one thing I had to really get used to with HOD is the CM approach. Most of us on this board are very academic minded and CM is such a different approach from TWTM, KWIM? That has been tough for me.

Guest sarathan

We started Little Hearts and Little Hands a couple of weeks ago and it's going great! I'm pretty much doing both programs as written and using the HOD recommendations for everything. I have to say that this year is going *so* much better than last year (we used a different curriculum last year). I'm just *loving* HOD so far!!

Sounds like your dd is well advanced for her age. :) My son is almost 6, and while he excels in the "basics," he needed a much gentler approach in the history and science. He is doing the emerging readers and 2nd grade spelling lists from Beyond, though. The poetry in Beyond was too much for him (other than the picture drawing). He will grow into it, but I don't want to push.

Each child is different (even those in the same family!). I am glad you were able to tweek and make it still work somewhat for your dd. The one thing I had to really get used to with HOD is the CM approach. Most of us on this board are very academic minded and CM is such a different approach from TWTM, KWIM? That has been tough for me.

Yes, DD is academically advanced. I struggle to find the balance in keeping her challenged while promoting a gentle education.

You make a great point about the tension between CM & TWTM. That's been tough for me as well, and I'm still sorting through it all. I was drawn to HOD because of the CM/gentle approach and the beautiful way that faith was integrated throughout. It really is lovely, and with a toddler to look after, I am very grateful for all that it DOES have. ;)

The one thing I had to really get used to with HOD is the CM approach. Most of us on this board are very academic minded and CM is such a different approach from TWTM, KWIM? That has been tough for me.

I totally relate to what you're saying! Even though CM is much more experiential, I have found this style of learning to be VERY effective. My dd has retained so much information and has remembered so many facts! This is especially evident in the Bible, geography, history and science areas. The way Carrie weaves everything together helps it all to stick!

We had a busy week with other activities crowding our school time. However, I was able to double up some activities to finish out the week on time! I love the flexibility of the boxes.

For reading we are notebooking and lapbooking. My dd loves to go back through all her notebooks and remember the books she has read.

We are in our first year of homeschooling, and have just completed our third week of Bigger. I am thankful to have found such a wonderful curriculum!

By the way, I am Happy2BHome on HOD. Tree House....you were smart to keep the same name on both! :D

We're doing HOD and it's going wonderfully. I am using a different math (RightStart), HWT for handwriting and will be using my own phonics as well. But it's easy to sub out those boxes.

We've got Little Hearts and I'm using some of that along with the bible from Little Hands. We're doing two Little Hands units a week and will start Little Hearts fully in January. I just really loved the bible in Little Hands and didn't want to miss it. It's been a great decision here.

Laura

I'm in the same boat as you! We are using Beyond with my 5.5 yo dd but have ended up tweaking to the point where I don't count it as our base. :lol:

We ended up with Rightstart for Math but I am thinking about Singapore for next year as math and science are dd's stronger points.

Also, we have REAL Science odyssey for the science. I can't rave enough about that.

Phonics are a mixed bag but we have switched to progressive phonics and she's loving it!

We are still using HOD for the read aloud list and the history readings and activities. Dd does like the poems so we are making apoetry notebook of those poems.

I added in FIAR for geography, language arts, and art.

Of course we don't do everything each day! :tongue_smilie:

Hi ya'll,

We are going to be using HOD Bigger starting October. My MIL is here for an extended visit so we started the year with the three R's to leave the afternoon for a visit with her. We stopped Bigger 7 weeks in last spring and we were loving it. So the timing worked out great for us. When we start in October it will be finished at about the right time in the spring.

I just looked at the dictation passages last week and did one with my 7 year old.....it was very good. I have only done copywork with him and it was his first dictation. WOW! He was jazzed and it built his confidence. I liked that it was just right for his ability level. I'm thinking of buying Preparing or CTC to do just the dictation with my 10 year old daughter. The dictations I do with her are often bible verses or AAS dictation suggestions. They work well but sometimes a change is good.

I'm Treewin on the HOD board but I do not post much, here or there. Good to see that others are enjoying it. I have found HOD to be an excellent choice for us all. It has given me a long term view of where I am going with school and makes it seem more do-able.

:seeya:

We're in Unit 6 of Little Hearts and Unit 4 of Preparing. We are very happy with HOD. So far, I really haven't tweaked it much at all. Our days are full. It is CM and I love that. In my opinion, it is very solid academically. The IG is easy to follow. I love everything being in one book with plenty of space for me to add things, to personalize the study for each child. My oldest son is doing great with R&S English, much better than I thought he would. Preparing is just the right amount of work for him. He tends to dawdle, so some days, it seems like too much work but we are adjusting to it. He fusses about the copywork! Otherwise, he loves it. He particularly likes the research project assignments. My youngest son is also doing great. He is really enjoying school this year and has already told me many times that he plans to stick with HOD forever.

I am very pleased with the amount of work, the variety of material and assignments, love the LA, the poetry, the books, the prepared dictation, all the art and drawing that is woven into the assignments, the Bible... everything.

If things continue so well, I have no doubt we'll do Beyond and HTH next year. In fact, I intend, at this point, to continue with HOD as long as we have guides left to do. It really is a good fit for our family.

We're a little over halfway through LHFHG. It's been a great experience for Kindergarten, and I'll probably use it again with my younger son when he's old enough (hopefully he'll have forgotten enough of what he's been tagging along for by then!). I'm planning on going for a more WTM approach when we start 1st grade in Jan., but if things don't work out for whatever reason, I'm sure we'll be back!

This is our first year with HOD. I am using Bigger with my 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 yr olds with the extensions for my 9 1/2.

We are only on day 2 of unit 2 as we have had some pretty disrupted weeks since we started but we are really enjoying it. We are doing WWE instead of the copy work and we are using AAS. For English and Math we are using R&S.

This is our last week with HOD. We started June 1. My 1st grader will have finished LHFHG in 15 weeks except for the storytime books. We will continue reading the storytime books but move on to doing a mix of things for the rest of our 1st grade year.

Wow...that is double speed, huh? I can see how the manuals could be used at a faster pace because you could read ahead in history, etc. but didn't you feel like you were missing out on some stuff trying to go that fast? I don't ask to be rude - mostly because I had considered that when we had to drop back from Beyond to Little Hearts - but then that "CM method" kicked back in and I realized that with my son, it would be pushing too hard. Plus, I do so love all the gentle activities and the special moments we have by taking it slowly. Like I said before, though, each child is different and unique. :)

We are on our 2nd week of LHFHG with my DD.

I have made some substitutions but they seem to be working out well.

We are using HWT for handwriting, and Explode the Code for Phonics.

Later (when it comes out in October) we will also add CLE's new Learn to Read program.

We are using Singapore for math, although I am wondering if CLE would be a better fit there, as well(?)

Also, I had posted on the HOD board that my DD isn't doing well comprehending history (Little Pilgrims) and the Burgess book so far. She isn't used to such long passages ( especially ones without many illustrations) - but I'm praying that will come with time.

Later (when it comes out in October) we will also add CLE's new Learn to Read program.

We are using Singapore for math, although I am wondering if CLE would be a better fit there, as well(?)

Also, I had posted on the HOD board that my DD isn't doing well comprehending history (Little Pilgrims) and the Burgess book so far. She isn't used to such long passages ( especially ones without many illustrations) - but I'm praying that will come with time.

As much as I love HOD, I use CLE for math and English, ETC and PP for Phonics, Pentime for Handwriting (which is not scheduled at all in LHFHG) and I add in a Geog. workbook and French as well. :)

As for comprehension, how old is your dd? My son is almost 6 and it is right on his level at this point...however, the material in Beyond was NOT. I think Carrie has said before that the first few weeks of doing something new, like reading with no pictures, etc., you can expect the child to struggle. However, as they get used to it, they tend to get much better as the year goes on. I hope this is the case for your dd.

One more question...are you doing the little Biible with the hot air balloon on it or reading from your own Bible in History? If you are using your own Bible, get the little one! It is SO much better for little kids - and there are lots of pictures w/short passages!

As much as I love HOD, I use CLE for math and English, ETC and PP for Phonics, Pentime for Handwriting (which is not scheduled at all in LHFHG) and I add in a Geog. workbook and French as well. :)

She has A Reason for Handwriting scheduled, so that is where we swap out the HWT.

As for comprehension, how old is your dd? My son is almost 6 and it is right on his level at this point...however, the material in Beyond was NOT. I think Carrie has said before that the first few weeks of doing something new, like reading with no pictures, etc., you can expect the child to struggle. However, as they get used to it, they tend to get much better as the year goes on. I hope this is the case for your dd.

My Dd is 6 1/2 BUT she has some neurological issues, and so developmentally I would say she is closer to 4-5.

One more question...are you doing the little Bible with the hot air balloon on it or reading from your own Bible in History? If you are using your own Bible, get the little one! It is SO much better for little kids - and there are lots of pictures w/short passages!

We have the 101 Bible Stories (one of the two recommended by HOD)

So far those stories have been just about right for her. We have an older copy of the devotional, though, and it has just simple, black, pen and ink type sketches. I think I'll let her color them in - just to let her 'connect' to each lesson.

We started when ds was 4.5, and HLP was definitely a stretch for him too. I found that he was following Reddy Fox okay, but I really had to hold his hand with the narration activities at first. Sometimes I even had to go back and review the whole chapter (my own narration, I guess!) before he could answer any of the questions or act it out or whatever. After a few weeks it started getting easier, and I was amazed at how quickly his listening comprehension increased across the board (i.e., listening to a chapter from other read-alouds, like Charlotte's Web or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is no problem now, and he's understanding and retaining it). It also helped that HLP isn't scheduled for a long time after those first couple of chapters. We're getting to where it's scheduled more, and he's definitely doing better with it now. All that to say--it probably will come with time and practice!

I'm trying out HoD for the first time this year, using Bigger Hearts mainly for history/geography, poetry, music, and read-alouds. So far DS and I really like it; both simple yet rich. I wasn't sure if he would like the history spine; it is a reprint of an old text. But he loves it. The only complaint I get from him is that the readings are too short! We came from trying Sonlight last year, so it was kinda going from one extreme to the other!

Hi Rebecca,

Just got back from camping this weekend and saw your post. We have completed 2 weeks so far and I love it. The boys are really enjoying Beyond. My younger dd is doing well with Bigger. I won't say she loves it, but I know it's not because of the curriculum....she just doesn't like school in general. She does like having her own guide though and not having to "share" with her siblings except in Bible & Poetry. My oldest dd is also doing well with CTC!

We're not using a HOD package, but we're using Drawn into the Heart of Reading and we LOVE IT! I was all set on HOD, but I couldn't fit either of my girls into any of the packages. I'm going to lurk on your threads and on the other forums and pray about next year (thanks Rebecca:D). Even if we never use one of the HOD packages, won't give up DITHOR. It is a solid reading program that is wonderfully done! If you're not using it, I highly recommend it :)

Blessings!

Dorinda

We just started Unit 3 of Bigger Hearts, and so far so good! Both kids seem to enjoy it, and my dd is especially happy about the weekly art projects. I can relate to what someone else said about coming from SL though--the readings are SO short by comparison. For us, I think this has been a good thing. Since we have more time, I am expecting more from them in the way of narrations and I think that they are retaining more from the readings. My ds, especially, had really gotten into the bad habit of tuning me out during long readings and we are working on that this year.

I will confess that I haven't gotten into DITHOR yet. It just overwhelms me every time I look at it. I don't know why, I love the idea of it, but . . . I still haven't decided whether I should sell it and try something else or just get going with it.

All in all, though, we are loving HOD!!

Glad to see I am not the only one on DAY 2!!! :)

I see all these threads about people on week 3-6... I thought we would get a jump start but we are only on Day 2 of Beyond.

See you soon~

Lisa

I have used all the Hod programs except LHFHG and the new one. I love HOD but having 5 children it is very difficult to run so many different programs. I would like something I can fold them all into but doesn't disservice any of them.

Kari

Slowly but surley getting thru. It takes 2 sometimes 3 regular days to get thru a guide's day. I am using Preparing and Little Hearts. I have a 4,5 and 9 year old. It takes ALL day because 9 year old likes to hear Reddy Fox and their hands on is more fun than hers, at times. 4 and 5 year old likes her history book, Life in the Great IceAge and want to listen to the stories. When 9 yo paints the 4 yo wants to paint. I do have a schedule but they all want to be in each others business when it comes to history and science. Math is one on one and now the phonics is one on one for the 4 and 5 year old. LA was a struggle with 9 yo and now I am using just First Language Lessons and what ever LA is in Preparing. I just pulled from my 5th grade box a Lit. Guide to use with Island of Blue Dolphins and we are going to start that next week.

I want to be the all academic minded and have the smartest kids back when DD was in K I wanted her to know 'it all' before starting. Doing the CM sort of style is a bit stressful for me but the kids enjoy it so I need to change my ways or have a heart attack!

We are in Unit 7 of Beyond (left side of plans plus storytime). My oldest is definitely getting the most out of it. My 6-year-old has a little trouble paying attention when I'm reading, so I'm not sure how much he's getting out of it. But my main concern for him is getting his reading more fluent this year!

We tried to do Little Hearts half-speed with my 4.5 year old, but he really did NOT like having his own school while the other children were playing. He enjoys his preK workbooks, but works on those while the other children are doing their phonics and math. So, when I'm doing Beyond with the older two, the 4.5 year old usually listens too. I think I'll just wait and try Little Hearts with him again next May or June when the oldest two start Bigger. Or maybe I'll tweak things so he can tag along again. I don't know. Dh calls the oldest 3 children The 3 Amigos because they are very close, so I'm thinking that longterm combining might be necessary!

But anyway, we are enjoying Beyond, and trying not to worry about the longterm planning at this point! :)

We finished up our 8th unit of LHFHG today. So far we are really liking it. Dd enjoys school and looks forward to it every day. I really enjoy the layout of the teacher's guide and it's helped me keep on task. Prior to starting HOD, I used a variety of curriculum and didn't get a whole lot accomplished. Dd and my almost 2yo love, love, love the rhymes in motion. They both always beg me to go back and do some of the old rhymes. I really appreciate this part of the manual since I am so uncreative to come up with stuff like that on my own!

We are using McRuffy Phonics & Reading program and ETC instead of the HOD recommendations since we had started it prior to starting LHFHG. We were also doing Horizons Math, but have pretty much switched over to Singapore now. We are doing it at a faster pace than scheduled in the guide though and I supplement with Horizons every now and then.

Hi Rebecca,

Just got back from camping this weekend and saw your post. We have completed 2 weeks so far and I love it. The boys are really enjoying Beyond. My younger dd is doing well with Bigger. I won't say she loves it, but I know it's not because of the curriculum....she just doesn't like school in general. She does like having her own guide though and not having to "share" with her siblings except in Bible & Poetry. My oldest dd is also doing well with CTC!

3 manuals AND dithr! You are wonderwoman! :D I am doing good to do my two manuals and DiTHR...but I guess CTC is pretty child led isn't it? Ds is getting more independent with Bigger, but it wasn't really written that way. Since he is older, we have made some modifications for him to read on his own and do some of the activities by himself a bit more.

We just started Unit 3 of Bigger Hearts, and so far so good! Both kids seem to enjoy it, and my dd is especially happy about the weekly art projects. I can relate to what someone else said about coming from SL though--the readings are SO short by comparison. For us, I think this has been a good thing. Since we have more time, I am expecting more from them in the way of narrations and I think that they are retaining more from the readings. My ds, especially, had really gotten into the bad habit of tuning me out during long readings and we are working on that this year.

I will confess that I haven't gotten into DITHOR yet. It just overwhelms me every time I look at it. I don't know why, I love the idea of it, but . . . I still haven't decided whether I should sell it and try something else or just get going with it.

All in all, though, we are loving HOD!!

If DITHR overwhelms you, my advice would be to take it slower. Do it 3 times a week or twice a week. By doing that, you can get the flow and feel without having to cram it in, so to speak.

My degree is in English and I think DITHR is a great reading program. First, I sit down and make the reading calendar. We are sticking with ONE book over the 15 days to make it easier on both of us. What I do is read the TG for each day (the night before school) for my son's level and figure out what order we will do things. Some days, he reads on his own first, then reads aloud to me, then we do the lesson together. Other days, it will instruct him to complete the lesson, then do the reading, then show me his work. Yet another options is when he needs to read, complete one part alone, and finish up with me (this is level 4/5). I agree that it takes some work to figure out what is going on and what to do when...but when/if you can get the groove, it is a wonder and solid reading program. :) Hope you will give it another try at a slower pace before deciding to sell. :)

Slowly but surley getting thru. It takes 2 sometimes 3 regular days to get thru a guide's day. I am using Preparing and Little Hearts. I have a 4,5 and 9 year old. It takes ALL day because 9 year old likes to hear Reddy Fox and their hands on is more fun than hers, at times. 4 and 5 year old likes her history book, Life in the Great IceAge and want to listen to the stories. When 9 yo paints the 4 yo wants to paint. I do have a schedule but they all want to be in each others business when it comes to history and science. Math is one on one and now the phonics is one on one for the 4 and 5 year old. LA was a struggle with 9 yo and now I am using just First Language Lessons and what ever LA is in Preparing. I just pulled from my 5th grade box a Lit. Guide to use with Island of Blue Dolphins and we are going to start that next week.

I want to be the all academic minded and have the smartest kids back when DD was in K I wanted her to know 'it all' before starting. Doing the CM sort of style is a bit stressful for me but the kids enjoy it so I need to change my ways or have a heart attack!

I can so relate to going from TWTM way of thinking to a CM curriculum! LOL It is defintely a different approach. I kept my WTM-ness in English/grammar, writing, and Math and found my inner CM-ness with HOD. :) It is a good balance. I am actually finding that the gentle approach to history and science works 100% better for both of them than the overly academic approach did. I think I may have been guilty of pushing a bit too hard too. *oops*

We are in Unit 7 of Beyond (left side of plans plus storytime). My oldest is definitely getting the most out of it. My 6-year-old has a little trouble paying attention when I'm reading, so I'm not sure how much he's getting out of it. But my main concern for him is getting his reading more fluent this year!

I started out with Beyond for my almost 6 year old and had to drop back to Little Hearts for him because the reading was going over his head. He was also not ready for the narration the way it is supposed to be done in Beyond. I definitely feel ya!

We just finished our seventh week and it's going really well. We have several new activities start up this week and we traveled over the holiday so we're taking this week off from HOD and just doing basics and a couple of catch-up projects. My big girls really enjoy Bigger and I appreciate how much we get done. I love the binders that they're creating. My 4 yo isn't doing too much Little Hands, but I am pulling a lot from it for her co-op class which begins this week.

3 manuals AND dithr! You are wonderwoman! :D I am doing good to do my two manuals and DiTHR...but I guess CTC is pretty child led isn't it? Ds is getting more independent with Bigger, but it wasn't really written that way. Since he is older, we have made some modifications for him to read on his own and do some of the activities by himself a bit more.

I am not a wonder woman, LOL. :willy_nilly: You are right, CTC is pretty much independent. I only need to read aloud Geography/Bible & Story time. I also read writing/grammar and giver her her instructions. For math she uses MUS so Mr. Demme teaches. I only help if she doesn't get it.

My Bigger dd gets up earlier than the others, so I do most of her teacher time after she has breakfast and while the others are getting their's.....that usually takes about a half hour, then she works independently while I work with her brothers. DITHOR we have only been doing about 1x or 2x a week, but am trying to work it in 3X, but it is the last thing to happen. :D Now if I can just get a working schedule for cleaning the house. ;) We did great this summer, but of course school bumped that off of the top of the list of priorities, but maybe once our school routine is settled. Thanks for asking. :D

I am back to HOD after trying it before and abandoning it...I feel kind of silly having left, but the truth is that I have a bit of a problem sticking to any curriculum! But, I really missed a lot of the components of HOD. I think I was caught up in the WTM rigor and couldn't appreciate the CM aspect of HOD. But, I miss so many things about it, I am going to try to take time to smell the flowers and benefit from a CM approach here with HOD. I will also use Mystery of History along with it, we have successfully stuck with that and continue to be happy with it!

I am glad to be back. I will need some reassurance that going slowly on history and science readings is worthwhile! I believe it in my head, just need to internalize it! But I love the very strong Biblical/spiritual aspect, the depth of the assignments and the way Carrie has all the bases covered much better than anything else I have seen or used. It LOOKS simple, but in reality, there is a lot there. We plan to use Preparing. It is good to be back!

We're using Preparing, BLHFHG, and LHFHG. We used HOD and loved it all last year, so we are continuing on that path! I do add in Math Mammoth and Quarter Mile Math for extra math practice for 2 of my kiddos, and I am going to be trying AAS with one of them who needs extra phonics/spelling work. Other than that, we're using the guides as written and loving it! We have time to add in Health, Latin, Nature Study, and other interests on Fridays to have an even fuller year. It is a terrific fit for our family!

I have LHFHG in the mail. It seems a bit simplistic to me (from the samples), but I actually want that right now. Dd1 is advanced and I want to help her relax and play through her early education. She is not quite 4 and is already reading and can do very basic subtraction, etc. So I want something that will help her learn but still in a more play-based way. I am subbing WP Acc K phonics for theirs, though (it uses ETC), and might just use Magic School Bus books/related activities for science. We'll see. I hope her little sister will participate too, at least in the activities. She's almost 2.

I am back to HOD after trying it before and abandoning it...I feel kind of silly having left, but the truth is that I have a bit of a problem sticking to any curriculum! But, I really missed a lot of the components of HOD. I think I was caught up in the WTM rigor and couldn't appreciate the CM aspect of HOD. But, I miss so many things about it, I am going to try to take time to smell the flowers and benefit from a CM approach here with HOD. I will also use Mystery of History along with it, we have successfully stuck with that and continue to be happy with it!

I am glad to be back. I will need some reassurance that going slowly on history and science readings is worthwhile! I believe it in my head, just need to internalize it! But I love the very strong Biblical/spiritual aspect, the depth of the assignments and the way Carrie has all the bases covered much better than anything else I have seen or used. It LOOKS simple, but in reality, there is a lot there. We plan to use Preparing. It is good to be back!

Did you know that Carrie is planning on including Mystery of History in the next guide she is coming out with? I am excited about that.

Michelle

We are in our fourth week of LHTH, and it's going great! I just want to make a suggestion to you, Christina, that we are enjoying. I have adding a storytime to LHTH, using one book a week that goes with whatever letter we are learning. So far we have used 10 apples up on top, Brown Bear Brown Bear and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I did a search online and found a ton of websites with free activities themed around these books and others. It's a low cost way to beef up LHTH if desired! There is a thread on the HOD board about adding storytime to LHTH if you're interested.

I am doing LHTH with my 3 yo. It's fine but it only takes about 10 min. :001_huh: I had hoped there would be more and I find the activities that assume there are multiple children participating , frustrating. I only have one preschooler.

She likes most of the activities and we are enjoying it, I just wish there was more. I might add BFIAR, but I am out of money:glare:

Woo-hoo... we are finding our groove. Today was the first day that my oldest son has completed a full day of Preparing with everything plus his other non-HOD things in one school day!! It's getting easier to implement the lessons and work through the boxes each day. Phew!

Donna, I wish these forums have the "like" or thumb up option like facebook, because that is what I wanted to do! Glad you had such a great day and found your groove!

I am doing LHTH with my 3 yo. It's fine but it only takes about 10 min. :001_huh: I had hoped there would be more and I find the activities that assume there are multiple children participating , frustrating. I only have one preschooler.

She likes most of the activities and we are enjoying it, I just wish there was more. I might add BFIAR, but I am out of money:glare:

BFIAR is great, but once you have the idea of the kinds of activities, it's not too hard to think of your own story stretching ideas. homeschoolshare.com has a lot of BFIAR and FIAR resources that you could probably figure out without using the manual, plus lots of other books with similar activities listed. You can also try googling the title of the book and "activities"--ie, "Good Night, Moon" activities.

Of course, the disadvantage is that it's not open-and-go!

• 3 months later...

So how is everyone doing now that we're all much further into the school year?

We are in week 21 of Beyond and my DD is really enjoying the Pioneers and Patriots book for history. We did get a little tired of all the pilgrims, so we sped that up a bit and then took the extra time we had to study about the area my brother is stationed in this year. (Iraq)

All in all, it's going well. We use Abeka for our math since we just aren't a Singapore math family. And we're using ETC books to cover phonics and spelling together. But we love the Emergent Readers pack!

Thanks, crl! I'm glad someone revived this thread. I've been wondering how everyone is doing.

We're only in week 12 :blush: of Preparing and week 13 of Little Hearts. We should be further along but this is where we are and it's fine.

I'm even happier with HOD than I was when we first started! I love everything about it. My kids are so happy. They are progressing in all areas. I'm doing less "tweaking" than I was earlier on and now we stick right to the HOD guides. The closer I stick to it, the more we get done, and the happier we all are. We still just use Singapore Math as a supplement with MUS being our main math.

My oldest son still finds all the writing assignments to be... ummm... challenging. I am finding that he does very, very well with them as long as I let him "incubate" a day or two! That's what I call it. I have to give him an assignment a day before it's really scheduled so he can think about it for a day or two before completing it. There was a time when I would have had a heart attack to make such an accomodation but now I'm more relaxed and he is really growing in his writing skills. I still LOVE HOD's language arts. I wish we had been following it from the beginning.

My youngest son is now using the Emerging Reader's set. He is thrilled to be done with his phonics instruction. We just started R&S English 2 with him and he loves it! He wants to do it first everyday. We've discussed bumping him up to Beyond because he is ready for it but he was horrified! He loves Little Hearts and wants to finish it.

So, it's going great here!!