Menu

Who Homeschools?

I'm trying to compile a list representing who homeschools, and there's no way I'll remember enough diversity on my own, so I'm going to include some things here to start this off and show where I'm going with this, and am hoping people will jump in to help me. I hope to compile a page, and when done, will post it at the end of this if anyone is interested (although by then you could have read it all in the posts:). I'd like to include several categories, and will add more categories if anyone has some great or even good suggestions. So far I'm starting with jobs, religious (or not) beliefs, politics. I plan to alphabetize when done, but am not doing that with the jobs now.

Who homeschools?

Artists, doctors, lawyers, painters, homemakers, school teachers, architects, farmers, ranchers, etc (as I said, I'm just starting this off)

Agnostics, atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Pagans (I know I've missed people, so please give more)

Democrats, Libertarians, Republicans, Undeclared. (if you want to include parties in other countries, feel free and I could make that clear, too.)

I got thinking about this when a mother had some genuine questions today. She's not thinking of homeschooling herself (at least not yet), but really would like to know, so I spent a good half hour talking with her instead of leaving. I'm tempted to write a whole sheet just to give out to people;), but mostly I'm interested in having some of this info handy. Of course, a sheet would have to include methods, reasons for homeschooling--probably would need a book. Oh, wait, there are books:D. But not everyone is going to read a book.

How about this:

Agnostic/slightly Pagan/Almost Atheist

Very Liberal (no political affiliation with that though)

Very much LOATHES politics

Artist married to a school teacher

One who can never really hold a job down

was a former CSI

Very pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-just about everything else everyone else is anti (and that's not a knock on anyone, I just typed it that way to save space)

Hippie child/hippie mom

Totally secular

animal loving (but PETA hating)

crunchy

weird

wired

obnoxious (no kidding, right?)

Fiercly Loyal

Homeschooling Mommy

;)

Who homeschools?

Moms who have their children later in life and have left the work world in order to be with those children; who seek academic excellence and schools that are hospitable to boys, honoring the unique ways in which they learn; who want to challenge the boundaries set by grade levels and grades in general, allowing children to work at any level, pre-school through college, at which they can function in any given subject at any given point in time, regardless of age.

Moms who want to see the educational 'system' within the US turned upon its ear and completely reconfigured - hopefully sooner than later. Moms who are not willing to sacrifice the only children they will ever have to the grand social experiment that comprises our educational system as it now stands.

Moms who believe that 'normal socialization' is represented by more normal, mixed age/gender/race/religion groups of humans interacting with each other on a daily basis, rather than three dozen children of basically the same age and socio-economic status warehoused with a herdsman for long days/weeks/years.

Moms who believe that Biblical and moral principals may best be ingrained through regular learning opportunities in life and discussions about those life experiences over the course of the years.

Moms who believe that good civics training is likewise comprised of thoughtful and frequent discussions, no matter what the political party or system under discussion.

Moms like me.

Regena

Moms who want to see the educational 'system' within the US turned upon its ear and completely reconfigured - hopefully sooner than later. Moms who are not willing to sacrifice the only children they will ever have to the grand social experiment that comprises our educational system as it now stands.

Even my teacher DH would "amen" this. One can only dream.

I think Regena said it much better than I could. I would just add that I honestly believe schools cannot give my children the same education that I can. It has nothing to do with the quality of teachers (good or bad). I just know my children better than anyone else. I know when they totally understand a topic so we can move on...I know when they're having a tough time and we can spend a little more time...I know when they're just having a bad day so we chuck all the schoolwork and just go to the beach. Not to mention that the way public schools teach history these days is just appalling!

SA--so we don't hijack--check your pm's(not pms like I said in the rep thingy ;) )

And, what's appalling about the history they teach? Just curious because so far, in the public school text I'm using, I've found nothing appalling (maybe a lack of information, now that I'll give ya)...

I love to learn and I love to teach. I find homeschooling to be extremely fulfilling. I love watching my kids grow and learn day by day and being a direct part of it. I wouldn't want to miss this for anything! Even if there were a perfect school out there for my children I would still teach them myself.

Doesn't it seem like most American kids get overloaded with U.S. History? They might get a semester of World History in High School. I don't even remember learning much about world history while I was in school. I do agree also that there are many omissions as well and many text books don't present a balanced accounting of many historical events. I'm in no way bashing the U.S. but many of our actions have been less than honorable (slavery, settlers treatment of the American Indians, etc.) I think many kids today would be shocked that the world didn't begin in 1492.

Actually, they need 4 credits in Social Studies, here.

1 in general social studies/geography

1 in World History

1 in American History

.5 each in American government and economics.

1 being equivalent to one full year. And the lady I know who teaches at Dh's school, she sugar coats nothing ;) But Dh's school is odd that way, the teachers there are really pretty darn good.

Aren't most of us that are hs'ling SAHMs? Scratching my head about the job category. I could give you my dh's job. He is a programmer. I left my job in Customer Service Sales in the manufacturing industry in order to raise our newborn son.

Beyond that pretty much everything Regena said.

Aren't most of us that are hs'ling SAHMs? Scratching my head about the job category. I could give you my dh's job. He is a programmer. I left my job in Customer Service Sales in the manufacturing industry in order to raise our newborn son.

Actually, no - there are quite a few single parents, working moms and even SAHDads who homeschool.

Beyond that pretty much everything Regena said.

Well, some moms also have other jobs, or had them--some work at home. Toni is an artist, Archathome is an arctitect, etc. Drew is a writer, a copy editor, and other things. But I was thinking of families. I suspect that in many, if not most homes, where there are two parents the other parent is teaching at least something, whether or not it's academics. I do most of the academics, but dh not only helps with math sometimes, he teaches other things (including, for better or worse, his humour:rolleyes:) Regena wrote well, and so have others. Toni gave an example of how multi-dimensional homeschoolers can be, but I'm not sure if I can put all of those kind of things on a sheet. Still, I like reading all of this because it's helpful. There's no way to put us all in the same box, unless you think home education is a box--it's an awfully large box.

Even if I compile the sheet for no one else but us, I think it's a worthy discussion. It may have been done before, but I don't recall or else I missed it. Anyway, I'll be back to read any future replies later.

Ok, why not? Here is our family's list: Pipefitter, nuclear technician, student, homemaker, seamstress, actor/performer, writer, Pagan, raised-Christian-atheist, non-political, Objectivist, heterosexual, bisexual, poly, goth, crunchy-on-the-outside, beyond-the-box thinking, middle class, suburban, and frugal.

Some of these labels don't quite fit us anymore, and some don't quite fit into your original categories, but I'm guessing they'll add to the diversity of your list if nothing else. :D

Pipefitter, nuclear technician, student, homemaker, seamstress, actor/performer, writer, Pagan, raised-Christian-atheist, non-political, Objectivist, heterosexual, bisexual, poly, goth, crunchy-on-the-outside, beyond-the-box thinking, middle class, suburban, and frugal.

Whoa, I think I found my twin. Coolio.. totally coolio.. I'm rep'in you sister.

And, what's appalling about the history they teach? Just curious because so far, in the public school text I'm using,

Perhaps what she is referring to is the lack of History education. The textbooks might be fine in and of themselves, but they collect dust. The first world war? I was never taught about it. The second world war? It was mentioned to me in passing because of the whole Nazi/Jew thing. And I took AP American History in High School.

Back to the OP.

Who Homeschools?

Parents who were raised secularly, now see the light, and desire to equip their children to stand and defend themselves in the faith.

Parents who were let down by the school system as children, generally speaking.

Parents who couldn't possibly afford great private schooling so create the same rigorous academic standards, or even exceed them, in their own home.

Parents whose largest lesson learned in school was that their parents ruined the world and don't deserve respect, and who don't want their children to be raised with the same message.

Parents who used to be teachers and know what vile things the few teach the many in the school yard. There is a time and place for children to learn about these things. Far away from the protective and instructive nurturing safe-place of home is not it.

Not to mention that the way public schools teach history these days is just appalling!

Gothicgirl asked, "And, what's appalling about the history they teach? Just curious because so far, in the public school text I'm using, I've found nothing appalling (maybe a lack of information, now that I'll give ya)..."

I saw this and just had to tell this story. My ds's girlfriend was here the other day. She is a senior at our ps and an honor student. Somehow Abe Lincoln came up and she said, "Well, what is so great about Abe Lincoln? All he ever did was help write the constitution."

Karin--of course you should put all I said on a sheet. Even if you completely disagree with it all, the point of the exercise is to show diversity amongst the homeschooling circle.

Not all of us are conservative Christian denim jumper wearing mommas. ;)

Not because I don't agree, but how will I fit it all on one sheet???? I do think I'd like to compile this all, especially for my family and here. But having reached the point where I need reading glasses for smaller print (if I can't read it at arm's length or I'm tired, out they come.) See, within my family, I can find many of the same things you believe as we're a very diverse bunch.

Not because I don't agree, but how will I fit it all on one sheet???? I do think I'd like to compile this all, especially for my family and here. But having reached the point where I need reading glasses for smaller print (if I can't read it at arm's length or I'm tired, out they come.) See, within my family, I can find many of the same things you believe as we're a very diverse bunch.

It won't let me edit for some reason. So I add "But having reached the point where I need reading glasses...I don't see how I can do this on one sheet and still be able to read it.

Well I guess we have to make several pages then, huh? ;)

And Cricket--I'm sure she can't help it, but that's sad. :(

Well, um... at the risk of completely opening the floodgates... I'm a

working mom (I have 3 pt-time jobs even)

godless pagan

have a Ph.D in Fine Arts

raised agnostic

married to an pagan farmer

have ONLY one child by choice because I support zero population growth

support pro-choice (obviously)

musician

writer

for national voting purposes, a registered Marxist

literacy advocate

support sex workers' rights

support marijuana law reform

candle and soap maker

bilingual

organic gardener (and farmer, too, for that matter)

cat collector (real live ones, they keep coming and I keep taking them in)

and probably a lot of other things, which all together makes me a really neato homeschooler, IMNSHO! :D

and probably a lot of other things, which all together makes me a really neato homeschooler, IMNSHO! :D

So, do you live in the lower mainland of BC? In BC? You don't, by any chance, live around Reddeer Alberta, do you? I ask the last one because of an interesting conversation I had with a couple who teach at the university there and that area sounds so different than Vancouver or Roberts Creek or...

I am a

SAHM

Technically Luthern but don't go to church

Military spouse

Used to be a Medical Secretary

Republican

Pro-Choice, pro-Gay Rights

Never wears denim Jumpers

Loves Animals

Bakes my own bread and uses all natural cleaning products but isn't what others consider "crunchy"

Here's the low down on my dh

Completly supportive and active when he can be hs dad

US Naval officer

Nuclear engineer

Technically Luthern but don't go to church

Republican

I can't say he doesn't wear denim jumpers because he does have to wear dark blue denim like coveralls which is kind of like a jumper :p

Loves animals

Startrek junkie

Hope this helps with your quest

So, do you live in the lower mainland of BC? In BC? You don't, by any chance, live around Reddeer Alberta, do you? I ask the last one because of an interesting conversation I had with a couple who teach at the university there and that area sounds so different than Vancouver or Roberts Creek or...

No. I suppose it makes me seem even quirkier if I tell you that I live in MB, in a part of the Province that is densely Catholic and Mennonite.

Why do people online always think I'm from BC? :confused::p :D

No. I suppose it makes me seem even quirkier if I tell you that I live in MB, in a part of the Province that is densely Catholic and Mennonite.

Why do people online always think I'm from BC? :confused::p :D

Have you been to Vancouver? My theory on why you get asked that, is because the things you support are found far more in BC than in most other parts of Canada. Even though BC and CA are very different, in many ways BC is to Canada what CA is to the US. And it is suprising given where you live. Not unheard of, of course. But I also know that you're not originally from there. But I know that MB is more diverse than many people realize. My mother is from there, but from an Icelandic area.

Moms (and sometimes dads) who want an excuse to continue learning and to do things a regular job or career would not allow homeschool. Nature hikes, museum days, field trips, and archaeology field school all fall into the category of things I probably wouldn't be able to do or wouldn't be able to do as often if I didn't homeschool. How many people with a regular 9 to 5 job get to take the day to go to the art museum, watch a glass blowing demonstration, watch a historical re-enactment, attend an orchestra performance or ballet, or take classes for fun?

Moms (and sometimes dads) who want an excuse to continue learning and to do things a regular job or career would not allow homeschool. Nature hikes, museum days, field trips, and archaeology field school all fall into the category of things I probably wouldn't be able to do or wouldn't be able to do as often if I didn't homeschool. How many people with a regular 9 to 5 job get to take the day to go to the art museum, watch a glass blowing demonstration, watch a historical re-enactment, attend an orchestra performance or ballet, or take classes for fun?

dude, we're supposed to do all this? We are soooo behind... ;)

Instead we prefer playing tug-o-war with tigers at zoos (Busch Gardens)

Here's a few of mine to add....

Self-employed families. My dh is a carpenter and I love being able to take off those rare days that dh is home.

Families that travel full-time in RV's for work and/or pleasure. We're working to be part of that so we can see the country in its "original design" before ds leaves for college.

One child families. We have one and enjoy our family size.

Non-morning people :cool: I hated having to get my ds up at 6:15 to be out of the house by 7:15 just to go to preschool. It was a fight almost every morning. Ds comes and sits on my lap everyday and we don't have to rush anywhere.

Children of people who felt stifled by traditional classroom settings

Parents who feel like the best evidence of learning doesn't come from test results

People, like me, who when they can't find the curriculum they want, will create it on their own (a history of science fiction lit course, we will do in 7th grade)

People who feel very convicted about their beliefs, but aren't afraid to hang out with people who hold completely different convictions.

I am trying to teach the things that schools *don't*.

My older dd is in PS and I am appalled at the time they waste. She has had a science oral report ready for weeks that keeps getting delayed because the class "votes" to delay it. Huh????

English consists of vocabulary words. Writing is done in other classes.

Sigh.

I am homeschooling my 2nd grader and preschooler. My 2nd grader is an artist - a real artist. We do art every day. In addition to all the other things.

I am doing the best I can, homeschooling and afterschooling, to provide my children the education I did not get in private and public schools. I learn with them. I am not in the least troubled that I have given up my career (computer engineering) to stay home with them. The schools do not do the job. I am their only hope.

Children of people who felt stifled by traditional classroom settings

DS currently attends a private non-academic preschool a few days a week, and I have learned a great deal from the experience - I have learned I still hate school.

I just can't stand being told what to do. The directors act like they know it all, and they like to tell me how I should be doing things at home. If what they do at school was the same as I am doing at home then what do I need to pay them for?? Besides every week they want me to bring in some sort of craft item - I have all I can do to keep up with my own lesson plans. And I am NOT joining their PTA, or participating in their fund raisers - I make my donation on time every month.

I know I am a big uncooperative pain in the but to them, and this is only preschool. Can you imagine how much the elementary schools would hate me?? ;)

My older dd is in PS and I am appalled at the time they waste. She has had a science oral report ready for weeks that keeps getting delayed because the class "votes" to delay it. Huh????

You've got to be kidding me??? What kind of life skills are we teaching here? "Sorry boss, the crew and I voted to cancel work for today." Like that would ever work :rolleyes:

I was homeschooled.

I have degrees in History and Business and took a whole bunch of upper level math in college so I tutor Math.

I'm Messianic

I eat Kosher

I'm Torah observant

My husband went to public school

He is 18.5 yrs older than me

He is a Cartographer/Illustrator

He has all the same religious beliefs as me.

He has a certificate in Civil Drafting.

Wow!! I am surprised at how many liberal/atheist/pagan/pro-choice home schooling moms are out there. I am so overwhelmed here (the South) by how Christian all the homeschooling families are. The last time I looked to join a homeschooling group I couldn't find one because I wouldn't sign a statement of faith. Although I don't fit all of the above-mentioned categories, I'm glad to "hear" that there are "others" out there (yes I know not everybody is Christian, it's just that I never met a home schooling family that wasn't Christian and just knowing that you guys are here is kinda cool.)

I am a

SAHM with a college degree in Mechanical Drafting

Un-churchers but I believe in God and was raised this same way

Republican

Wouldn't be caught dead in anything but jeans and t-shirt

Quilter

My dh

Correctional officer

Police Officer

Same believes as me

Republican

Gun nut

Have a gun range right out our door for cowboy action shooting

Family

Hates homeschool groups

Don't hang with any homeschoolers

Secular materials-religious materials are to preachy

Kids enjoy WWE Wrestling, Hannah Montana, bowling, chess

Not dedicated to homeschooling and decide yearly

Son likes to do school at 9pm

Daughter does hers during the day

Let's see...

Me:

Atheist

Obsessed autodidact

Learning to play guitar at 35yo

Artist that has shown in galleries and museums

Writer

Politically moderate, but I am registered Democrat for now so I can vote in the primary. Usually I am independent.

Two kids with no intention of ever having more.

Love video games

Dh:

Western Region Director for a Fortune 500 company

Atheist

Same politics as me

Obsessed with video games

Travels a lot, but works from home a lot too.

36 yo

We met in elementary school, have been friends for 27 years, were high school sweethearts married at 19 & 20, now married 16 years (wow run-on sentence).

Great diversity out there.

Me: Born again Christian

Veterinarian

Broomball enthusiast

Indian food gourmand

Politically conservative but thoroughly disgusted with current election prospects:banghead:

Horse loving but not having

Somali tutor

No denim jumpers in my house and I (gulp) often snicker at those I see at hs conventions, especially with the white socks and sneakers:smilielol5:

DH: Mech. engineer, very analytical

In ten years of marriage he has never even said a harsh word to me

Best guy in the world

Relying on him to teach upper level math and physics someday:sneaky2:

Who homeschools?

Artists, doctors, lawyers, painters, homemakers, school teachers, architects, farmers, ranchers, etc (as I said, I'm just starting this off)

Agnostics, atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Pagans (I know I've missed people, so please give more)

Democrats, Libertarians, Republicans, Undeclared. (if you want to include parties in other countries, feel free and I could make that clear, too.)

Writers, musicians, philosophers, mathematicians, singers, bakers, candlestick makers (just making sure you're still paying attention :001_smile:), scientists, custodians, civil servants, historians, actors, hair stylists, computer technicians, dentists, soldiers, executives, pastors, flight attendants, chefs, dancers, carpenters...

Catholics, Jews, Animists, Hindu (Hindi?), Unitarians, Scientologists...

Doran

Well, I am a bore.

High school graduate by the skin of my teeth. Forgot to go to college.

6 kids

Christian, faithfully attending one of those wild, hip, cutting edge churches that most of the Christians on here would NEVER attend. (Rockin' praise and worship, etc)

Politically conservative on issues such as right to life, marriage, etc.

Politically moderate on some social issues.

Homeschool to impart the tenets of my faith to my children, to spare them the public school experience, and to give them a more solid academic foundation than I received.

Dh

Federal Probation Officer

Christian, same as me

Politics pretty much the same as mine, maybe a bit more conservative than me.

Supportive of homeschooling 90% of the time.

that they really want to and are committed to homeschooling. I know of families in every category that's been mentioned, and more to boot. I just don't think homeschoolers are a monolith, categorizable in much of any way.

Personally, we got started by a child who was having a devilishly difficult time in school, both private and public, and it seemed the only solution. Once I tried it, I was hooked, quit my part time day job (for a night job) and took on the other two kids. I am not doing it for religious reasons, yet I find the religious and moral education of my kids has been far easier now that I'm with them so much and we talk constantly! I do it for that reason, for academic reasons, because I love it, we are learning so much, and I want to keep them away from some of the less positive, shall we say, cultural influences that are out there in force in the schools.