Menu

JW--what's the most polite way of saying "Don't come back"?

A week or two ago, a JW came to the door and DH accepted a tract or two and then threw them away. He mentioned that our egg guy leaves tracks for us sometimes (true) in the hopes that would prevent future visits from this guy.

It didn't work. He just stopped by. I was polite, but I didn't accept the book he offered. Is that enough to stop future visits?

I hate, hate, hate confrontation IRL. I also hate being pressured to accept or buy something. (For example, I don't even like it when salespeople in a store ask me if I'm finding everything ok. I want them to just stand where I can see them, and I'll ask them if I need help. Yes, I'm extreme.)

We live in our business, so not answering the door is just not an option.

Any ideas? Do I actually need to come out and say "Please don't stop by?" Or is there some way I can convey that message without being that blunt?

You need a short, concise statement that you can repeat over and over. Since your home/business are both there, I would go for something like, "We do not accept solicitations. I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitations. No, I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitations. We do not accept solicitations." Do not respond to any another questions or statements. Just repeat yourself. Firmly, at a typical conversational tone or just slightly louder.

It's most effective if you say it once *as* you are shutting the door. "Oh, I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitatio--" SHUT.

But if your business set-up makes that one implausible, stick to the first.

It seems rude, I know, but I find that *any* discussion you engage in only encourages them to return. Anything at all. You just have to be a firm broken record, preferably as you shut the door.

I have a further question...I accepted their book then agreed to a Bible study for a bit (I was interested in finding out more about why they believe what they do.)

Anyway, then I accepted some children's books from them.

I'm now getting phone calls from them, as well...sometimes 2 a day.

I'm just drowning...what do I do now....I really should have done the above recommendations immediately, but I didn't want to be rude. AAAHHHH!:confused:

Do I give the books back? Pay for them?

I think I'm just scared of the confrontation! (But they must be used to it...right?)

When we were living in the States we were on somebody's list for *frequent* visits. They didn't stop until my mil was visiting from Saudi; when they came and wanted to give info she very politely said she would be happy to take their materials if they would take some of her materials on Islam in return. They declined, and they didn't visit us after that.

I have a further question...I accepted their book then agreed to a Bible study for a bit (I was interested in finding out more about why they believe what they do.)

I'm just drowning...what do I do now....I really should have done the above recommendations immediately, but I didn't want to be rude. AAAHHHH!:confused:

Do I give the books back? Pay for them?

I think I'm just scared of the confrontation! (But they must be used to it...right?)

How about, "Thank you for your time. We are no longer interested in receiving further calls, materials, or visits. Please respect our privacy and our specific desire NOT to be contacted any further."

Be firm and don't apologize for your lack of interest. It is your right not to be hassled in your own home.

If this does not work, then the next time they call, let them know you will be contacting the Federal Trade Commission and letting them know you are being harassed. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/donotcall/mediacenter.html is the website for Do Not Call violators. Get their full name, phone number, and location. Hopefully that will do it.

From what I remember, JW's are taught that confrontation and rejection is a way of knowing that they are doing gods work.

I used to live across the street from a JW bigwig and had them coming over a lot. At first I argued with them ( I think they enjoyed that), then I finally said "You and I do not believe the same things. I believe in Jesus Christ as He is represented in the traditional Bible. So thanks, but please do not come by again." Smile. Shut door.

Give their stuff back. "No thanks." Smile. Shut door. Answer phone if you must and just tell them not to call again. They might like that anyway......

Edited by Dooley
Trying not to be offensive!

A week or two ago, a JW came to the door and DH accepted a tract or two and then threw them away. He mentioned that our egg guy leaves tracks for us sometimes (true) in the hopes that would prevent future visits from this guy.

It didn't work. He just stopped by. I was polite, but I didn't accept the book he offered. Is that enough to stop future visits?

I hate, hate, hate confrontation IRL. I also hate being pressured to accept or buy something. (For example, I don't even like it when salespeople in a store ask me if I'm finding everything ok. I want them to just stand where I can see them, and I'll ask them if I need help. Yes, I'm extreme.)

Any ideas? Do I actually need to come out and say "Please don't stop by?" Or is there some way I can convey that message without being that blunt?

I think you need to be "that blunt." "Please stop coming to my home." is not really rude - just authoritative - it is your home, not theirs. OR - do you have a peek hole that you can look through? If so, I would use it and just not answer the door when they come.

Here is a lengthy thread on the same subject:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1137281

I just have to share this story with you.

I was 19, and spending the summer with my brother's family, while his wife was having their 4th child in as many years. They were at the hospital, and I was in the middle of cleaning up breakfast, trying to get the 3 kids dressed, etc. when the doorbell rang. I opened the door, my hair in a messy pony-tail, the house a mess, with my nephew in hand, who was wearing only a tshirt- no diaper. The other two toddlers came a running, both messy and only partially dressed- like little ragamuffins.

The pair, a man and a woman pushed their way into the entryway, and were not hearing my "not interested" protestations. So, when one of them asked if my husband were home, I internally lost it. How I lost it has become a family story, and is now how my brothers and sisters always tell folks to get rid of over-zealous door to door-ers of any kind.

I thrust the baby with no diaper at the man, who dropped his pamphlets in trying to catch the baby, and yelled towards the back of the house, "Hey Bruno, get your sorry, drunken arse out here! Some good folks here ready for some good Jesus talk with ya'!!". The woman, who had stooped to pick up the flyers, and was being "helped" by the toddlers, turned white. At this point, my sweet little nephew decided to pee- right on the man's nice white shirt.

You have never seen two folks turn and run so fast!!! I was left giggling and laughing, with a wet baby and a handful of pamphlets, while the toddlers stood on the couch, looking out the window, waving and calling Bye Bye.

I do not condone these behaviours on a normal basis and have never done anything like this after this. I now just say thank you but no thank you and gently shut the door- but I was young and frazzled and these happened to be the 4th group of door to door-ers I had dealt with in as many days- and they never seemed to come when it was convenient- they either rang the bell when kids were napping, or came during meal times. But it is a good story, so I hope you enjoy.

My Pastor ask them to pray with him on his porch. They won't & they leave. He is sincere b/c he has a different belief and wants to reach them in the same manner that they do him.... but he also knows they will not accept his offer & leave. When they find out he is a Pastor & determined to witness to them, they don't come back.

Needleroozer... that made my day with a good chuckle... super funny & would work for anyone interrupting a hectic day... relegion or selling or anything. Kinf of made me think of Jerry Seinfeld talking to the telemarketer... asking them their phone number at home where he can call them... so funny.

Edited by Dirtroad

My Pastor ask them to pray with him on his porch. They won't & they leave. He is sincere b/c he has a different belief and wants to reach them in the same manner that they do him.... but he also knows they will not accept his offer & leave. When they find out he is a Pastor & determined to witness to them, they don't come back.

Needleroozer... that made my day with a good chuckle... super funny & would work for anyone interrupting a hectic day... relegion or selling or anything. Kinf of made me think of Jerry Seinfeld talking to the telemarketer... asking them their phone number at home where he can call them... so funny.

That is an interesting approach.

ANd yes, you know, most of your life you go through something, and then afterwards have all sorts of good lines/comebacks that you could have used if you had just thought of them at the time. This is one of the few times that I actually was able to do that in the moment, and you know, it still feels good (and funny) 25 yrs later!:001_smile:

I was 19, and spending the summer with my brother's family, while his wife was having their 4th child in as many years. They were at the hospital, and I was in the middle of cleaning up breakfast, trying to get the 3 kids dressed, etc. when the doorbell rang. I opened the door, my hair in a messy pony-tail, the house a mess, with my nephew in hand, who was wearing only a tshirt- no diaper. The other two toddlers came a running, both messy and only partially dressed- like little ragamuffins.

The pair, a man and a woman pushed their way into the entryway, and were not hearing my "not interested" protestations. So, when one of them asked if my husband were home, I internally lost it. How I lost it has become a family story, and is now how my brothers and sisters always tell folks to get rid of over-zealous door to door-ers of any kind.

I thrust the baby with no diaper at the man, who dropped his pamphlets in trying to catch the baby, and yelled towards the back of the house, "Hey Bruno, get your sorry, drunken arse out here! Some good folks here ready for some good Jesus talk with ya'!!". The woman, who had stooped to pick up the flyers, and was being "helped" by the toddlers, turned white. At this point, my sweet little nephew decided to pee- right on the man's nice white shirt.

You have never seen two folks turn and run so fast!!! I was left giggling and laughing, with a wet baby and a handful of pamphlets, while the toddlers stood on the couch, looking out the window, waving and calling Bye Bye.

I do not condone these behaviours on a normal basis and have never done anything like this after this. I now just say thank you but no thank you and gently shut the door- but I was young and frazzled and these happened to be the 4th group of door to door-ers I had dealt with in as many days- and they never seemed to come when it was convenient- they either rang the bell when kids were napping, or came during meal times. But it is a good story, so I hope you enjoy.

:lol::lol::lol:

You need a short, concise statement that you can repeat over and over. Since your home/business are both there, I would go for something like, "We do not accept solicitations. I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitations. No, I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitations. We do not accept solicitations." Do not respond to any another questions or statements. Just repeat yourself. Firmly, at a typical conversational tone or just slightly louder.

It's most effective if you say it once *as* you are shutting the door. "Oh, I'm sorry, we do not accept solicitatio--" SHUT.

But if your business set-up makes that one implausible, stick to the first.

It seems rude, I know, but I find that *any* discussion you engage in only encourages them to return. Anything at all. You just have to be a firm broken record, preferably as you shut the door.

I wouldn't use the term solicitations. You are just asking for arguments that we are not soliciting. And we are not... soliciting involves asking for funds.

How about, "Thank you for your time. We are no longer interested in receiving further calls, materials, or visits. Please respect our privacy and our specific desire NOT to be contacted any further.
:iagree:

I think it is ok to say "please do not come back". Why not? You don't have to scream it and slam the door, but I don't see why asking them not to return isn't polite.
:iagree:

:lol::lol:Really good story!

I used to live across the street from a JW bigwig and had them coming over a lot. At first I argued with them ( I think they enjoyed that), then I finally said "You and I do not believe the same things. I believe in Jesus Christ as He is represented in the traditional Bible. So thanks, but please do not come by again." Smile. Shut door.
You are misinformed. We use many translations and consult the original languages.
Give their stuff back. "No thanks." Smile. Shut door. Answer phone if you must and just tell them not to call again. They might like that anyway......
You don't have to give it back. We know that Non-JWs sometimes benefit from Bible based publications too.

You don't have to give it back. We know that Non-JWs sometimes benefit from Bible based publications too.

We moved at the beginning of summer. While we were preparing the house for our move-in. Two teenage JW came by and my husband politely took the literature which I read. It was interesting and I appreciate how they address many current topics that many churches don't touch (raising teens, addiction, abortion, ect). About a month later one of the girl returns (with someone new each time now) and mentions my dh by name. I told her that I read the literature and enjoyed it but I hated to take more because though I have a faith too, we differ on a few things and I hate to waste her time and resources. She gave it to me anyway and returns every month. Matter of fact, I expect her any day now. I'm not sure what her purpose for coming is now that I've told her that but she's a sweet girl and I appreciate her dedication.

Do I actually need to come out and say "Please don't stop by"? Or is there some way I can convey that message without being that blunt?

Yes, you have to be blunt. You don't have to be rude, but you do have to be blunt. "I'm really not interested. Please don't come back. Thank you." Don't take any literature, don't have discusssions. Just say no.

You are misinformed. We use many translations and consult the original languages.

There is so much evidence to contradict this statement that I needed to respond to this.

http://www.4jehovah.org/jehovahs-witness-nwt-errors.php

http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/New_World_Translation/new_world_translation.htm

are just two websites with information to the contrary. I am not going to get into it, as I know you will disagree with these sources, but I felt this needed to be addressed. The bible you use and the bible used by the rest of Christendom are two very different things.

I laughed out loud at this, so the kids gathered around demanding to hear what was so funny. By the time I finished reading it I had tears! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.:D

For a few years I would invite them in, and try to persuade them to believe what I believe. When I was in Bible College I was given an assignment to talk to a JW about the deity of Christ, and write a 15 page essay on it. In order to complete the assignment, I called their office and arranged a meeting with someone. I ended up spending three hours with two elders and their adult daughter at their home. That was a pretty exhausting debate. Since then, I've decided that these discussions fall into the category of: 2 Timothy 2:23 (New International Version)

23Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.

I'm usually quite firm with them at the door now, and they seem to respect that.

Lori

One time I had a pair of extremely persistant JH's that were coming by once a week. I pretty much hate confrontation and I'm horrible at ending conversations, so I was easy prey! lol...I know in their mind they are doing a good thing and are just following what they have been told to do, yet at the same time I wanted to send the message. I talked to one of the pastors at my church about it and asked him what he thought I should do. He said I could tell them if they wanted to discuss it in more detail with me, they could meet us at my church for an appointment where we could all sit down and discuss it. So the next time they came to the house I told them that I had discussed it with my pastor and if they wanted to continue the conversation we could meet at my church and the 4 of us could have coffee. Then I gave them my pastor's card. They took the card, said thank you and never came back! If they had wanted to get together for a meeting, though, I would have done it. I enjoy theological conversations. It sure would have been interesting. So pass the buck to your pastor if he will let you! When you think about it, they are walking up to your door. So you can witness to them just the same way. I just felt inadequate to do it from a theological standpoint so I was bringing in reinforcements.

Needleroozer your story is soo funny!

I have a similar JW story that happened way back in the 80's. They came every week, it drove me crazy!!! One day I just gotten out of the shower, dressed, and still had my hair in a towel. I had not been to the mirror yet. I went to the door, they gave their talk I said thanks, but no thanks and they left. I walked to the bedroom and looked in the mirror and about had a heart attack...a laughing out loud heart attack. Somehow I must have forgotten to wash my face at all because I had mascara ALL down the front of my face. I looked just like Alice Cooper. I have absolutely no idea how those two mean stood at my door for a full 5 minutes at least without once cracking a smile or having a shocked look of some kind.

I lived there for another 4 years and never not one time did the JW ever come back to my house!!!!

I have no problem cutting off and being blunt (but not rude or aggressive) with telemarketers. Religious solicitation? Not so much.

I grew up in a religiously conservative environment and I know that going on these door to door visits must be extremely uncomfortable. Deep down, we know what is or what isn't socially acceptable behavior and unannounced visits with the purpose of changing someone's religion is not socially acceptable. But they believe that God wants them to do it, so they're forced to make that visit, no matter how uncomfortable it makes them feel or how naturally shy they may be.

And so I just find it hard to be blunt or rude in such a way that would discourage future visits. Instead I am polite and conversational and I know that this gives the wrong impression. I can't help but think, however, that it must be a relief to have someone who doesn't offer to pray for their souls, slam the door in their face, or sic the pit bull on them.

There is so much evidence to contradict this statement that I needed to respond to this.

http://www.4jehovah.org/jehovahs-witness-nwt-errors.php

http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/New_World_Translation/new_world_translation.htm

are just two websites with information to the contrary. I am not going to get into it, as I know you will disagree with these sources, but I felt this needed to be addressed. The bible you use and the bible used by the rest of Christendom are two very different things.

Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses do publish a translation and use it most of the time. The main reason for this can be found here. If you take the time to look at their publications, you will see quotes from the New International Version, the King James Version, the Living Bible, the Jerusalem Bible, plus others, and references to the original languages.

What do you say when they call?

We were bothered by JWs a lot right after we were married. I had told them nicely and then NOT so nicely NOT to come back. They did. I just had spent an exhausting hour, on a green-broke horse, gathering nutso heifers in preparation for moving them to the hill pastures. I had them all bunched up, moving nicely where I wanted the to go and here came the JWs, jumping out of the car, scattering the cows. I was NOT happy and I whapped my stock whip down over the windshield of the car and suggested that they might want to move on out, quickly, before I REALLY got mad. We never saw them again... :D

On those same lines, we share a ditch with a local cult. There is a stock right-of-way through the cult's property. They had set up all sorts of tents for one of their revivals (illegally, as they did not have a special use permit). They had stationed 3 college-aged girls and told them, now keep the cows out of the tents! (The cult had torn down all the fences because they didn't think they "looked pretty") Yeah, right. The neighbors and I moved over 1200 head of cattle down through the property one day, off of the summer pastures, and as the college girls got excited and started to scream, it spooked the cattle and here they came! 1200 head of cattle, at a dead run, can do a lot of damage. One entire tent came down, festooned about a 2000 lb Hereford bull. The cult put back up the fences.

I have no advice for the OP, but I just had to say that these stories are funny! :D I can just see 1200 cows running amuck lol.

Well, yes, of course you should just be blunt. That doesn't mean you have to be rude.

At a previous residence, I had JWs coming over. They were always polite. I always refused their literature and offered to pray with them and for them. They never took me up on that offer until the last time that they came. They had been a half dozen or so times before then. I prayed in the name of Jesus and asked the Holy Spirit to led them into all truth. I also made the point to let them know that the Holy Spirit is God (and His own Person), just as the Father and the Son are God. When I was done, one of the ladies looked me right in the eyes and she had tears. She said she never knew the Holy Spirit was God (speaking of a Trinity) and yet she thought she could feel His Presence there that day. The other person grabbed her arm and literally pulled her off my porch. So, I pray for her from time to time when I think of it.

At our current residence, the visitors were not so nice. After several visits from them in which they insisted on leaving their literature, not on my porch, but it had to be in my hand, I asked them to not come back anymore. They came back once again and I asked again that they not come back. They came back the third time after being asked not to (always the same persons, so they knew I had asked them not to come) and I told them if they came again, I would call the police and have them removed for trespassing. Now, I probably would not have gone so far except that when they came to my house, they always sent another couple next door to my grandmothers at the same time. I had asked them to stop going to her home and so I eventually had to point out to them that that was my second home, so don't go there either.

It just depends on the individuals you are meeting. Some are very sweet and polite and some are rude and forceful. It's ok to politely ask them to not come back. They will probably listen to you. If they don't, pray in the name of Jesus and ask the Holy Spirit to show up. If that fails, remind them it is your private property.

Regardless, remember they are people made in God's image, just like the rest of us. They are trying to do what they think is right. I actually admire their efforts. We are Baptists. When I was growing up, it was common to see people going door to door and hanging out tracts. I think that is very rare now.

I've shared this here before.

Back when I lived in another province, and was a single mom working shift work, I had JWs at my door every.single.weekend. I was polite, I was blunt, then not so polite.

Finally, it got to the point where I told the gent at the door that if anyone from his church showed up at my door ever again, I would have them charged with trespassing (I think I might have said harassment too). He argued with me that he had the right to be spreading his religion, that he had 'Freedom of Religion' as a right. I agreed that indeed he did, but not on MY property. His rights ended when it meant coming onto MY property.

They showed up once after that. I picked up my phone, and announced that I had warned them once prior that I would have anyone that showed up prosecuted, and started dialing. They were gone before I finished, and never showed up again while I lived there.

I've had a cpl of folks show up from time to time here, but at least they have the courtesy to a) not show up in the early hours of a weekend morning b) leave when told, "Sorry, not interested"

I had Jehovah's Witnesses, LDS missionaries, and some evangelical Christians all visit and never once have they ever been anything other than very polite and respectful. Well, other than the showing up unannounced, which is not a very polite thing to do, of course, but I understand why they do it.