Menu

Can we discuss younger girls & booKshelves

Can someone please explain to me why little girls need padded, w/ cups, booKshelves? And underwires? My dds don't always need to wear one, but w/ certain tops they do. They just turned 11, and every. single. one. at walmart (except sports br@s) were padded cups. Some w/ underwires. WHY?

Where can I find a non- sport br@ that doesn't have padding? Or even little cami-tops. I have one dd who is tall, kind of heavy, and can't shop from the little girls dept anymore, but she's not really developed yet, either. She just needs "something" under a few of her thinner shirts. Any suggestions where to look? That doesn't cost a fortune.

We got ours at Penney's, and Kohls. My dds are 9 and 8. 9yo dd needs one with some shirts. 8yo dd just wanted some and I couldn't tell her no. Penney's had an entire wall of training booKshelves with no wires or padding or anything like that. Kohl had the full gamut, but we did find some that were appropriate. Dd9 got all over-the-head ones; dd8 found some with hooks in the back that were still training shelves. HTH!

The pads aren't necessarily to make them look bigger, they are to keep the n*pples from showing through the shirts. I always buy underwire, not because I am large, but they fit more snug and hold me in place with less fabric than a sports bra. I don't like the way sports bras feel.

I was raised that "no way was any young lady getting a padded bra". But I don't think these are "padded" as in to make breast look bigger, even if they do...but rather like any other shaping brassiere, they create a smoother look. Some young ladies have a very obvious "I'm just starting to develop" look to them and even with chemises, they look like they are braless, but needing to wear one. I have trouble finding brassieres that are padded in my size because the thought is that bigger women don't need any padding. Yes, we do, for the shaping and concealing.

Though in my perfect world we'd all wear clothes that were modest and didn't require a brassiere or go back to chemises and corsets ;)

Hmm, they just looked seriously padded to me. She tried on her twin's chemise (and her twin is thinner and shorter, but slightly more developed), and it would have been perfect, but it came to just above her belly button. Too short. I just need to find someplace that carries her size/shape. I guess I'll follow 3 lil Red's advice and try JC Penny's. I didn't find anything at Kohls either.

Okay, seeing you all post this thread makes me feel better. Lately, I've noticed my 8.5 daughter sometimes needs a cami-type undershirt under some thin shirts because she doesn't look as 'flat' as she once did. I am not ready for this change!!

Amen. And both of my girls are doing this at the same time. I just might be the end of me! And certainly the end of their father.

Welcome!

It is actually an old joke from the old boards. It was from a typo. :001_smile:

booKs and booKshelves mean br3asts & bras.

And making tea means...well, making l*ve.

Thank goodness you told me!! Here I thought making tea involved tea bags and sugar. It's amazing I even have 4 children being so off base about how to make tea! :lol:

The pads aren't necessarily to make them look bigger, they are to keep the n*pples from showing through the shirts. I always buy underwire, not because I am large, but they fit more snug and hold me in place with less fabric than a sports bra. I don't like the way sports bras feel.

Yep. My dd started with a cami type bra, but switched to something with a little padding once she started showing through her shirt.

We got both style bras at Target and Khols.

Did any one mention that some of the 'padding' is not actually padding to look bigger, but to smooth out and cover nipples for those who prefer that look?

Yes, the padding smoothes things out so their developing br3ast buds don't show through their shirt. So embarassing when you are 10.

The pads aren't necessarily to make them look bigger, they are to keep the n*pples from showing through the shirts.

This is the reason my daughter insists on thick ones. "Padded" doesn't seem to be the right word, she's not trying to stack up, just trying to avoid the mortification of poking out. She would just diiiiiiiiiiie if anyone could see that! She even sleeps in her bras...sigh.

I personally like underwires, but for dd we avoid them.