Menu

If a child is doing Algebra I in 8th gr

Linda1951

Algebra II, Geometry, trigonometry, calculus, that is what I did in High school, DH too. That is a fairly normal math schedual for high school, or it was when i went to school.

ETA: my degree is in science, and DH's is in engineering so we might fall into the math geek category, but there were many others in our classes so we were not one of just a few.

Edited by Jennifer in NH

I was supposed to take Alg I in 8th grade (but didn't). Based on my high school's offerings, I would have gone on to Geometry, Alg II, Pre-Calc, then AP Calc.

Ds will be taking Alg I in 7th, so he will probably wind up with Geometry in 8th, AlgebraII in 9th, and then whatever I can outsource after that! (Calc, Statistics, Trig... We'll see where he's headed)

We do Saxon Algebra I in 8th, Algebra II in 9th and Advanced Math (which covers Trig and Pre-Calc) stretched over 10th grade and 1/2 of 11th grade. My oldest opted not to continue math after that (one's into Theology and the other into music) but my rising 9th grader is more a mathie and plans to do math for all 4 years (so far! We'll see!).

8th Algebra

9th Geometry

10th Algebra II (may include college algebra and trig depending on kid and program)

11th Comm. College or University but level depends on kid

---college algebra and trig

---precalculus and calc I

---calc I and calc II

12th Comm. College or University (next two or 3 maths including Statistics)

You could do otherwise but our local college has THE best math professor so my kids go there.

Geometry, Algebra II, Precalculus/Trig, Calculus

That was what we did in high school too.

As for whether that is necessary if your child is not interested in math/science related course, som of the math is helpful for a certain discipline in manipulating numbers and concepts. But, I agree that much of it is not used in real life.

Do you think your child will want to go to college? If so, do you think it will be more of a liberal arts college or an "arts college." I think one certainly will not need calculus. But maybe it will be helpful to check out a few "arts colleges" and see what their requirements are for entry.

We live in Philadelphia, and we have two such schools in the city:

the University of the Arts, and the Moore College of Art and Design.

Oh, just a thought, if you child may be interested in the business side of things somewhere down the road, maybe you could consider some accounting coursework. (But that can wait to they finish high school...)

MOST college majors do not require Calculus. My oldest dd only needs College Algebra--the first half of a Pre-Calc program.

Texas has approved a 2-year Pre-Calc program for students who began Algebra in 8th grade and found that they were not ready for a full Pre-Calc course in 11th. This 2-year course covers traditional Pre-Calc material with a bit of Statistics and a tiny taste of Calc thrown in the second year.

I am a fan of waiting until 9th grade for Algebra 1. For younger Algebra 1 students I prefer that they 'redo' a level (Algebra 1 or 2) with a different program to expand their foundation before moving on to college level maths--that extra year really DOES make a difference!

A couple more thoughts.

My kids do at least 2 math programs. If you do Algebra I in 8th and want 3 maths but don't want to do upper maths, then do Algebra I in 9th also. We never take a full year for a math program and can do more than one at a time, but for average math students, I completely agree with Jann's suggestion of doing a second one in 9th grade.

Also, If your student does Algebra I and II and Geometry, that is 3. If you needed another, for whatever reason, you can do Consumer Math, Statistics, etc.

We're just math people. I think more than one math program is desireable and we do higher math whether necessary or not (though almost every degree program we've ever looked at did require at least Calc; but I'm sure that has to do with interests requiring maths).

I am a fan of waiting until 9th grade for Algebra 1. For younger Algebra 1 students I prefer that they 'redo' a level (Algebra 1 or 2) with a different program to expand their foundation before moving on to college level maths--that extra year really DOES make a difference!

We do Algebra 1 twice here. However, my dd did it for the second time at 13, so will most likely do all the way to Calculus in hs. However, she is very math minded. She really got a lot more of the thinking and theory by doing it a second time around with a different program.

The reason I said most likely, is that we have to see how her math mental maturity is by then. I think it's most important that students understand the logic and thinking behind the math, not just squeak through the levels. Most Canadian provinces don't even offer Calculus in high school, and traditionally Canadianr high schools have been considered better than American high schools even though the US has more great university/colleges (but then, look at the population base--Canada has some good ones, too, but has a population similar to that of the state of CA.)

we are doing Algebra 1 in 8th. My plan is:

9th algebra 2

10th geometry

11th trig analyt or pre calculus

12 calculus

If dd does not want or need that much math, then we will do consumer math or some other equivalent. Remember they only need 4 credits in math.