Menu

Introducing Our Puppy!

She's just over 3 mths. We were initially looking for a male, but she was way friendlier than her brothers :lol: She immediately came up and started loving on everyone, including the Littles, while her brothers either hid under the porch or stayed on the other side of it, away from all of us. So, we had no choice but to choose her! :lol:

She's adorable.....and that's quite a combination, Akbash and Great Pyr! Two flock guardian breeds; not surprising her brothers were more aloof.

She's beautiful, and I love her name! Good luck with her, and give her welcome hugs from us!

Astrid

Hope you don't mind my asking....are those pink nostrils?... set in a black nose? How quirky. In the best sense of the word. :001_wub:

Geo

Yup. She's got a weird colouring to her nose, kinda a butterfly effect.

Took Cassie and the kids out this am (everyone was up by 630 am...I need a nap!) Cassie has never been on a leash before, so it was more about coaxing her to move than anything else! Already, though, she's being gently encouraged to stay on the left side. I say 'gently' because this am was more about getting her accustomed to being on a leash than anything else, lol! Its something that will become more strictly enforced as we go on.

Cassie is what trainers call a 'soft dog'. Very submissive. One of the first things she did when we met her was roll over and show her belly. Telling her 'no' firmly has her sit and lower her head. She's not a dog that's going to need 'hard' correction. It seems that already she's learned not to jump up. Her breeder told us that with the Akbash cross, she's found that they tend to train like the Akbash...tell/show them something twice, and they've got it down. She jumped up on Tazzie twice, was told no, went to do it again, hesitated, and sat at his feet instead. happy.gif

I honestly believe that Cassie is a perfect fit for us...I've had comments from folks worried about a big dog and my disability, that I couldn't handle her size. I believe that, trained from a puppy to be well mannered and accommodate my disability, there won't be an issue when she's full grown, as long as we keep up her training. Because she is a 'soft' dog, I don't anticipate her training needing to be intense, as she responds quickly with just a verbal correction. I don't think I could have imagined a dog as perfect for us as she is. :D

She is adorable...and VERY white. Hope she will be an INDOOR dog. LOL

Absolutely...for now, lol! She'll always be indoor, but when we move to an acreage, I figure she'll spend most of her time outdoors.

She so cute! And so big.

I can't imagine giving her a bath. Whose going to be on clean up duty when she goes for walks?

Diva. Isn't that what kids are for? :D

Awwwwwww, save us from puppy cuteness!

She's beautiful.

I only have one word of advice: socialize, socialize, socialize.

I spent over a year doing behavioural rehab on a livestock guardian dog who was not socialized. It was only partly successful though fortunately the rescue found him a great home.

Make sure she goes lots of places, sees lots of different people and all the experiences are positive. Keep it up will into her 3rd year as these guys can be late to mature. Their guarding instincts can make them very wary of strangers or novel situations & if it's not carefully watched and dealt with as it arises, it can lead to huge problems.

Here are a couple links about socializing your puppy. You're just at the tail end of many of the imprinting periods so you need to do it fast!

http://www.gooddogz.org/index.php/content/view/97/133/

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/common-excuses-not-socializing-your-puppy

And congratulations on passing up the boys who hid - fearful LGD's are not a good thing.

Have fun with her! I loved having the big white foster staying with us. He was well over 100lbs of cuddly dog (once he got over his fears!)

I have 2 Leerburg dvds that we're watching. One about family pack structure, the other basic obedience.

Taking her to the park ensures that she meets all sorts of folks. She met a tiny dog today, it was positive, but she had her tail tucked the whole time. As I said, she's very submissive. SpecialMama has a fantastically wonderful dog, and we plan to get them together on a regular basis. In fact, I think the plan is to get them together tonight for the first time, and take them to the dog park. Of course, Cassie won't be off leash for a long time coming :lol:

ETA: I read the links, thanks for posting them! Especially the part about not consoling if the pup seems fearful, as its reinforcing the fear. I *knew* that, but the reminder was needed. Especially as its contrary to my instincts, lol! With my kids, consoling them while verbally explaining that everything is ok is normal to me, so therefore my first instinct with a puppy!

Edited by Impish

Very pretty little girl there.

One thing to mention though is that these are not breeds of dogs to take off leash ever. Only in a "controlled" environment(fenced area) should they be off leash.

Have fun, we adore ours.

For training, my daughter has her in dog training 4-H and they meet weekly and have since our pup was young. I also work with the pup on training for a total of 1 hour a day(obviously broken up into different time segments), plus I take her for a training class weekly every 4 months in segments of 6-10 weeks. SHe is enrolled in a intermediate CGC class right now and this time around will sit for the test at the end but we will continue her training. She goes to work with me frequently as well but is seperated from my childnredn's friends when they visit. She is almost 17 months now.

Our male does not get the same training but should however his temperment is slightly different and we can sometimes get away with more. He gets walks of 2.5-5 miles a day seperate from my female. Just training at home but in the next year I will be working him in a basic obedience class to get him out of his zone. He is comfortable here for training but does not follow training elsewhere.He is 5 years now.

They also have seperate run times in our fenced yard daily, numerous times. The large LGD's are a lot of work but oh so worth it if you are willing to devote your life to them. They really are so worth it.

Make sure that you follow NILIF with them http://www.greyhoundlist.org/nothing_is_free.htm right from the start. No sleeping on the human furniture and understand that if she is to be trained as an inside dog now she might not want to spend her time outside later on in her life. My male was 2 when we rescued him and he wastrained as a working LGD who lived 24/7 outside. He sleeps 23 hours out of the day on his crib mattresses(chepa dog beds and the right size) and refuses to go potty in the rain at all.:tongue_smilie:

Enjoy!

Leerburg does NILF. He calls it pack structure. I have the family dog pack structure dvd and basic obedience.

Great! Your family will enjoy her so much. If you have 4-H around you as well, it is a wonderful dog program to help teach the children things to do with the dog and learn about them at the same time. Great homeschooling unit study :tongue_smilie:

Ohhhhhh. I am a Kuvasz groupie, so of course I think she's amazing. I decided a Kuv was too big for this house with five people in it, but am holding out hope for someday. In the meantime, we got an English Shepherd puppy, and I love her to pieces, so I'm right there with ya on the puppy adoration.

Congratulations!