Menu

I love my husband. This is not a bash or request for marital advice. But he put my

pizza stone in the dishwasher. :confused:

After that, my 10 year old unloaded the dishwasher and broke the stone.

It's one of the few premium kitchen indulgences I've allowed myself in the last 5 or so years. It was about 4 years old and perfectly seasoned.

It's one of the few premium kitchen indulgences I've allowed myself in the last 5 or so years. It was about 4 years old and perfectly seasoned.

:svengo: Oh, no...sorry to hear that!

Sheri :)

Uh-on.

I've had mine for years now and have always put it in the dishwasher. So, I shouldn't be doing that? :confused: How big of a goof is that?

It's not supposed to be washed with soap--it's very porous, and the soap will penetrate and affect the taste of the food. I don't know about being wet for that long.

I'm sorry. I think I know how you must feel. My Large Bar Pan cracked in the past year while removing it from the oven so I called and received a replacement. I did not request a replacement for the first Large Bar Pan when I left it on the stove and turned on the wrong burner, the one under it, and it cracked in half.

At least you didn't catch both of your pizza stones on fire in the oven trying to "degrease" them on clean & require the fire department to come out and de-smoke your house like someone I know :leaving:

BTW dh was in Europe so it wasn't him and it wasn't the kids :lol: . It's only funny now since we all got out, there was minimal damage, and dh replaced a part on the oven & we are still using it over a year later.

Edited by girligirlmom

I feel your pain. Over the years I have noticed that only the things I love get broken. Never the .25 cent, 30 year old Pyrex baking dish from a yardsale. Yep, still have that after 20 years. No, only the things I value are selected for carelessness. Nowdays, I make a conscious acknowledgement of that fact everytime I buy something I could become attached to. It has helped soften the blow when that fatal day comes...and it always comes.:glare:

My condolences,

Geo...who is dreading the demise of her vintage, Fiestaware Platter.

Edited by Geo

I feel your pain. Over the years I have noticed that only the things I love get broken. Never the .25 cent, 30 year old Pyrex baking dish from a yardsale. Yep, still have that after 20 years.

I inherited a cup (truly hideous!) that my dad was given around the time he got married. It became his DIY cup as he was always hoping it would break:lol:. Somehow it has survived 40 years of being perched precariously on windowledges, atop walls, etc. So how is it that the cups I really like are doing well if they manage 6 months without a chip???

Oh egads.

I was an only child, so there were never any other kids in my house breaking my things. Then I married a klutzy man.

In the first month of marriage he broke an antique key to an antique cupboard my parents have given to us for our marriage. I had loved that piece of furniture growing up and it was very special to me. I totally overreacted. No one had ever broken anything precious to me before. I was devastated.

Poor Joanne. At least you can buy a new stone. You can't buy a new antique key to an antique cupboard (bought when they lived in England) that your parents gave to you as a wedding present...

I'm sorry!! If a new pizza stone isn't in the budget at the moment, you might check into using unglazed tiles. I wanted to test a pizza stone on my grill, but didn't want to take the chance on my real pizza stone (although it is cracked anyway. . .), and so did some research into using tiles. They worked very well, but the faster heating and cooling of my grill ended up cracking them in several pieces. You can do a Google search about it, but here's one page that discusses using tiles:

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/bakingstones.html

:grouphug: He probably felt helpful doing the dishes which makes it even more difficult.

I've always wanted a pizza stone, but not-dishwasher safe items are a huge commitment in my house. Everything ends up in the dishwasher.

Dh tried to help with laundry once, not knowing everything in the washing machine was to be hung- not put in the dryer. He shrunk 3 of my favorite Dave Matthews concert t-shirts to toddler size. Now I get posters when I go to concerts. It's working so far.

It must be a bad week for stoneware! The same just happened to my Mom's stoneware baking sheet! Her husband did the same thing and then dropped it. She was so stunned that after ten years of using it 3-5 times a week and talking about how it is never to go into the dishwasher and to be handled with care. She is devastated and pretty angry at his lapse. It was a luxury for her too. But I agree with King M. Get another one as soon as possible.

I feel your pain. I once caught my husband cooking mac & cheese on the stovetop in my favorite pyrex baking dish. :grouphug:

I walked in the room, looked at the stove turned to him and said, "You can't use that on the stovetop!"

He asked me why, to which I replied, "Because it will-" BOOM! "Explode."

Yes, the dish really did shatter at just that very moment. :glare:

I feel your pain. I once caught my husband cooking mac & cheese on the stovetop in my favorite pyrex baking dish. :grouphug:

I walked in the room, looked at the stove turned to him and said, "You can't use that on the stovetop!"

He asked me why, to which I replied, "Because it will-" BOOM! "Explode."

Yes, the dish really did shatter at just that very moment. :glare:

Don't you just hate it when your so right but can't point it out.

Ouch! No fun.

Ours never leaves the oven. We have a huge spatula that we use to get the pizza out.

I clean my other stoneware with hot water and a scraper. The pizza stone just gets scraped after use with the spatula; if there is a little bit of cheese or something left on there it will be turned into ash by the next time it gets used.

Wow... I put all of my stoneware in the dishwasher. Have for years.. oops! So you are just supposed to rinse it with water or something?:001_huh:

The only time I ever use dish soap on my stoneware is if I've already scrubbed it (water only) and there is some fat that I'm afraid might go rancid if I leave it (most oil can be left on). Then I make sure my stoneware is wet, use a little bit of soap, scrub fast, rinse well. I only do this on a well-seasoned stone, not one that doesn't have that nice, dark sheen yet.