Menu

Recess?

Hello all! I know most of you don't know me. I lurk mostly but once in a while I have a question (that wasn't answered sufficiently by doing a search) and I know WTM is the place to come for lots of answers! So here I am!

I was curious what time of day and for how long you take recess?

I have 4 kids under age 6. My oldest will be in first grade this year and I'll be doing some pre-k stuff with my 3yo. Last years routine left plenty of outdoor time early in the day but this year I don't think we will be able to finish up school before lunch and quiet/nap time. So I thought I should probably try to add a recess into our morning routine. Maybe 30 minutes just before lunch? What do you all do?

I'd have school from, say, 9-12 for the oldest one, with a good break in the middle, or two short ones at 10 and 11.

I have two kids, 9 and 6, so mine will look a bit different. But I usually send them out to at least run up and down the street or something in the middle of the morning. My oldest thinks 'recess' means "reading break," so I always have to throw her out and tell her to get some fresh air.

Honestly? With those ages we would definitely be done by lunch. Most of our day would be recess. :001_smile:

A child's work is play.

I would be teaching the oldest while they babies nap - whatever time of day that is. During non- rest time, we would color and go on nature walks and play and talk and read books, and it would probably feel mostly like play. A bit of math and learning to read might feel more like "school" but kids that age learn most of what they learn by just living with people who love them and talk to them and show them things.

We swim (6-7 months of the year) just after lunch each day. We start late so that's the middle of our school day. When it's too cold to swim, they go outside to play. If it's raining, we have some active Wii games. They do much better with a solid active break in the middle.

We dont' schedule a recess or PE time.... but we work it in "as needed". If everyone is sluggish, we STOP paper/books and they run or get outside for a while. If they are flying and work is going well, we push it through and finish. My kids being older are also involved in sports and the practices are in late afternoons.... which help them with physical activity too. Normally, we are "in class" from 9-12 and ~1-2.. then it is all free time. (kids are 4th & 5th with more classes than previous years)

When the kids were about K-2... we worked only 1-2 hours per day. (actually on did 30 min with K student & I always read aloud to them at night & during any rest times). Plenty of play time.

Honestly? With those ages we would definitely be done by lunch. Most of our day would be recess. :001_smile:

Really? Well I'm not there yet so maybe I'm planning/scheduling too much time. As I have it planned out though we will not be able to get our "indoor" activities done before lunch. I suppose I should mention we won't be starting until 9. I also should probably mention that the 4hrs I plan to devote to school includes pre-school time for my littles well the oldest has "free" time to play on the computer or read (her choice). So its not 4hrs of hard core studying, yk? I have lots of games and crafts planned (educational of course!). I just thought it would be good to include some "outdoor" fun in that morning time block too.

We dont' schedule a recess or PE time.... but we work it in "as needed". If everyone is sluggish, we STOP paper/books and they run or get outside for a while.
We take a walk around the block and go to the playground before we do school work. That way we get some energy out and our brains are ready. It takes an hour total. We usually do this every other day. Otherwise, I find some way to expend that energy in the house. (musical chairs, etc.)

Last year I hs'd 1st grade and preschool. It took a loooong time going back and forth between children. Some subjects we did together, but it still took forever.

If I did the 1st grader alone, then I was done in under 3 hours. If I did the preschooler alone, I was done in under 2. But put together it was like 4-5 hours of sitting in the playroom, homeschooling, each day.

I scheduled a "recess." It was really short. I just had them run up the street, then back down the street. (On the sidewalk, of course.) They were never out of my sight, but they got a little bit of air and a stretch of the legs. They would be out of breath by the time they came back, so it was just long enough.

Other than that, I keep an exercise trampoline in the room where I homeschool and while I'm working with one kid, the other one is playing or can jump.

I would be teaching the oldest while they babies nap - whatever time of day that is.

I find my dd(5) needs quiet time just as much as the younger ones. She usually spends this time reading and writing but away from everyone else in quiet. I need this time also. It helps me to re-group and refresh for the rest of the days tasks.:001_smile:

When my kids were that age, I made them eat lunch outside. If they got along and didn't come back in the house, they could stay out until dinner. If anybody came in, we did more school.

Sometimes they ask me why we can't have those rules anymore.

Hello....You're in High School now!

Maybe it's how you are defining school. I think it should only take about an hour and a half to cover first grade grammar, phonics and math. We did history and science in about 3 hours a week, added in read alouds, and included writing in the form of narrations in our history. Read aloud time was sometimes history related and sometimes not. All the "other stuff" was just the natural way we lived our lives, and I didn't call it "school." This included art, music, devotions, nature walks/journal, games, and playing outside. Maybe you include those things in school and that's why it seems to take you longer.

I gave a break after (Saxon) math and one or two other subjects--if we started at nine, then it was about 10:30. Sometimes we would go outside, sometimes it was just a snack and then back to work. I had a high schooler, too, so it was usually when we met for discussion.

We start chores at 8:30, school at 9. We all take a 15 minute break at 10:30 and if the weather is nice the girls go outside. Lunch is usually a 45 minute break and they go outside if possible.

Do what feels right for your family. Some might do only an hour or two for first grade. Public school kids start a full day in first grade. We're somewhere in between.

We start chores at 8:30, school at 9. We all take a 15 minute break at 10:30 and if the weather is nice the girls go outside. Lunch is usually a 45 minute break and they go outside if possible.

Do what feels right for your family. Some might do only an hour or two for first grade. Public school kids start a full day in first grade. We're somewhere in between.

Thank you! :)

I agree with CrunchyMountainMama...

One VERY important thing to consider with ALL People, but especially young children (single digit ages) is that the brain learns better if it has what it needs physically. The brain NEEDS the body to be properly exercised. For young children, that should be several hours per day, no less than two for sure, but much research suggests at least 4 hours of HARD PLAY per day.

It helps to put it before and after your tougher subjects. It is a good incentive to get a tough subject done but it also helps a tough subject to get done after you come back in.

Anyway, the sensory and physical aspects of exercising and hard play are NEEDS when it comes to providing for learning. Don't be like schools and neglect it!

For K, we had a short physical break between each subject and almost never spent more than 10 minutes on a subject. This usually involved them running around after each other or me chasing them.

For 1st grade, we normally had a break after 2 subjects and each subject was a bit longer. Occasionally (rough day in general or tough math day or something), an additional break or two was needed, some days we did tic-tac-toe instead of a physical break.

We usually go to the park every day in the afternoons. If the weather is bad, I'll make sure they do some inside running around if they haven't done enough on their own.

:iagree:Unless you have to use your naptimes with the younger ones as teaching times with the older ones. My first year, I had a 1st and 2nd grader. We had 2 hours of school in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon.

My dc are 6, 4, and 3yo.

I am tweaking my schedule right now to figure this out. I find it hard to get my ds6 back into gear if I only let him play for 15-20min, and yet much more than that and we are pushing ourselves to finish by lunch. Not all of that time is seatwork....and a lot of time is simply juggling 3dc (am I the only who finds it takes 10min to distract the 3yo in order to get 5min uninterupted with my 6yo???) This week I'm trying spelling/phonics during the afternoon quiet time and everything else in the am right after breakfast....I don't like it....*I* need my quiet time:tongue_smilie::lol:

On days we get in a good morning walk before starting we all do better.... I try and break up intensive skill subjects (math and phonics) with read alouds and snacktime.

:lurk5:

Hmmm...maybe if you wrote what you're planning on doing with your kiddos, we'd have a better idea of what you mean.

I have 4 kids. When eldest was 6 his lessons took around 1 hr total (dependant on the prevailing attitudes). He did reading (phonics), math, and handwriting. Everything else was interest led. The others didn't have any formal lessons.

Now, my current 6 yr old has around 1hr to 1 hr 15' worth of work: again memory, math, phonics, and handwriting.

I'll come back later...duty calls...again...

OK - catastrophe diverted and chaos contained. Whew!

Um, was noch, 6 yo's work -- I think the only reason she takes longer than an hour is because she likes staring off into space. Really, as far as "school work" goes focus on your 6 yo and make sure she's getting a solid foundation in the basics: phonics, math, and (to a lesser extent and dependant on her gross & fine motor skills) handwriting. History and science can truly be interest led: if she's interested in volcanoes, for instance, check out books to read together; ditto for anything else that peaks her interest. These subjects don't have to be done every day; instead, opt for 1X per week for each. Don't underestimate the value of a walk in the park, visit to the zoo or botanical gardens, or whatever might be in your area. It's not that these subjects aren't important; they are. However, you'll be revisiting them at least twice, if not three more times before she graduates. Don't worry about hitting everything this year. Check out Magnets to Mudpies (or something like that) -- it's a great way to introduce science topics and all your kids can join in to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their ages.

As far as your youngers, they can just follow along at will. You really don't have to plan pre-school for them. Read alouds are great -- they'll absorb quite a bit just by listening. Any formal "lessons" you do with them shouldn't last any longer than 10 -30 minutes maximum and be completely child-led. IOW if Jr balks at his pre-school work, drop it for the day. It's truly not worth it.

I guess those of us who've been there a couple (or more) times are trying to let you know that you really don't have to plan a full formal schoold day for your 6yo, even if you start at 9 a.m. And think about Barb's post -- she's absolutely spot on.

Edited by brehon
911 calls

Would it help if I told you that physical activity enhances learning, prevents disease, enhances social skills, increases attention span, and organizes the brain? It is important for all age groups, but supremely important for the under-8 crowd. In fact, a child that learns nothing formally before 8 but has plenty of time outdoors will be in better shape than a typically schooled in a chair child at the same age. The schooled in a chair child will have access to more raw information, but the outdoors child will be primed to absorb so much more. It is so much important to get moving at this age and fit seat work in and around an active, outdoor lifestyle.

Barb

Thanks everyone! I feel like I've been given some great advice. I am still welcoming any other suggestions.:)

Hmmm...maybe if you wrote what you're planning on doing with your kiddos, we'd have a better idea of what you mean.

Written out it looks as if we could fit everything into a 2hr period but I know from last years experience that thats not the case. Anyhow, this is what I have planned:

Lawson (4 in Dec)

Bible 15 min

Phonics 10 min

Handwriting 10 min

Math/Numbers 10 min

If at anytime he doesn't feel up to it I won't "make" him finish any assignment. I didn't plan on doing any formal schooling with him this early but he begged me to give him "school" like big sis so I wont deny him of it.

Brooke (6 in 3 weeks)

Bible 15 min

Phonics 15 min

Handwriting 15 min

Math 30 min

Reading 30 min (she reads in her free time and quiet time also)

History/Science/Art 20 min

With my soon to be 6 yo I set a timer for each subject giving her ample time to complete the assignment and if she finishes before the timer goes off she gets "free" time. If I don't do it this way she will lollygag through her work and get very little done. So for an assigment that should only take 15 minutes I usually set the timer for 20-30 minutes (depends what subject).

And like a pp said I spend a lot of time trying to occupy the littles just so I can have 5 minutes of time to explain an assigment to my eldest!

Edited by Ashlee