Menu

Anyone else see Food, Inc.?

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the

)

My husband and I just got home from seeing it. I honestly didn't think the food industry -- specifically the beef/pork/chicken industry -- was that bad. Last weekend we saw The Future of Food and learned about genetically modified food and now this. Wow. I feel like I need to sit down and make a list so that I can systematically change everything about the way we eat as a family.

If you've seen either of these movies, what changes, if any, did you make as a family? Also, do you know how to go about finding a local, organic-type farmer to buy meat from? I don't even know where to start!

I've been wanting to see it but am waiting for it to come to Netflix. We have King Corn sitting here waiting to be watched as soon as dh gets back from the grocery store (ironically). Omnivore's Dilemma has already begun a change in my eating habits (getting chickens in the spring, trading for organic eggs right now, buying as much gently raised meat as possible, growing the garden, etc). I am sure this will become for focused the more we learn.

Basically, I am reclaiming my rights over my family's food rather than leaving it up to an annonymous "other" to do my choosing for me.

Ok, I just requested Omnivore's Dilemma. I'm #25 on the list to get it, LOL.

We're not in Milwaukee, WI, but we're near there if anyone knows a good chicken, beef, or pig farmer within 50 miles of there. I didn't know what CSA was, but just googled it and found Local Harvest.org. Is that a reputable website? I spent a few minutes there and found a farm less than an hour away that has chickens and pigs. I'm optimistic!

Welcome aboard, Heather!:) Yes, both The Future of Food and Food, Inc. are excellent motivational tools ~ or a means of confirming one's pre-existing value system, as in my case. I seriously wish both were required viewing in high schools.

Connect with like-minded people in your area. One great resource is likely the food co-op in Milwaukee. A five second online search took me to their website; check it out!

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book!

We've been able to switch to about 90% local, (non-certified) organic produce (our farmer's market sells Dole bananas and doesn't carry lettuces, but the lettuce in our garden is starting to take off :)). I'm also getting my eggs and some cheeses there. One of the farmers sells meat, and I'm trying to convince dh to get 1/2 cow, but he's still dealing with sticker shock. The hamburgers I bought yesterday were yummy!

I'm still working on cutting back on the kids' milk consumption. Dh is anti-raw-milk for now, so I've been getting Organic Valley when I'm in town, but we still wind up grabbing extra "regular" milk from the corner convenience store.

I find myself wanting to make 100 changes all at once (I also just read Organic Housekeeping, so I'm busy thinking about EVERY household choice I make!), but that's just impossible. Focusing on the easiest things first is much less frustrating!

After Omnivore's Dilemma, you should also read In Defense of Food, also by Pollan. Omnivore's Dilemma gives a good picture of the food industry, but In Defense of Food shows how the "science of nutrition" has (pardon the pun) fed off of the Big Food Industry and taken us further away from eating real, actual food.

It's life-changing stuff, for sure.

And then, if you're still up for more reading, there's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. Also excellent reading for learning about real, actual food. How to grow it, cook it, live it.

Good stuff, it is.

Me? I'm really excited to start making my own cheese. :)

I really want to see it. I read Fast Food Nation and it really changed the way I think about food overall.

I feel so much better when I eat all organic/mostly raw foods/closer to a Vegan method......so why do I stray????? Right now I am tired, cranky, achy, and overall feel bad..... I have been doing the Grocery Game and trying to cut costs, but it is really at the expense of our health, so I am sitting down and redoing the grocery budget and realizing that we have got to spend a little more to save on our health later on.

Dawn

Your might also enjoy the website www.slowfood.com.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is another book that is inspiring. The author Barbara Kingsolver shares her family's journey of eating in season for a year. They live on a large farm, with animals, and they preserved much of their food, so their resources are a bit more than the average person's. However, there are many ideas to be had nonetheless. The photos are wonderful.

www.animalvegetablemiracle.com

Welcome aboard, Heather!:) Yes, both The Future of Food and Food, Inc. are excellent motivational tools ~ or a means of confirming one's pre-existing value system, as in my case. I seriously wish both were required viewing in high schools.

My public-schooled 7th-grader spent time this spring talking about food and visiting several local farms as part of a special unit to connect agriculture and schools. He was complaining about it before he went, but learned a lot and said later that it was interesting and he was glad they had to go.

Thanks for the links and book suggestions! I really appreciate it. :)

This is all so new to us and feels a little overwhelming to me as the mom being responsible for feeding my boys healthy food. Our idea is that we should slowly make changes starting with one step at a time. Our first step was to eliminate cereals & store bought breads that contain corn or high fructose corn syrup. So, to support that step, I made homemade granola this week and a loaf of bread. {grin} Our second step will be the meats -- buying grass fed, humanely raised meat. Even these two steps have caused a huge revolution in our way of thinking, and I'm gasping as I read the labels and ingredients of all the other foods on our shelves!

Would someone be willing to share in practical terms what they do now on a weekly basis or specific changes they made to the way they grocery shop and plan meals?

Would someone be willing to share in practical terms what they do now on a weekly basis or specific changes they made to the way they grocery shop and plan meals?

I make 3 shopping lists now. The longest list is for the farmers market, then the health food store, and the shortest is for the supermarket.

For me, lunch was the easiest thing to improve. My kids almost always eat pb&j. I make my own ww bread, we grind fresh peanuts at the health food store, and I get our jam at the farmers market. Eventually, I'd like to try growing our own peanuts and making our own jam.

When they get sick of pb&j, I make egg salad with free-range eggs from the farmers market. Eventually, I'd like my own chickens. :D

I'd like more variety, but they're happy!

Breakfast hasn't been too difficult. We're still eating through our stockpile of Cheerios, but I've also been making (and freezing) homemade ww pancakes, my kids have discovered REAL oatmeal (w/fresh fruit), and eggs and toast are still a favorite. I'm hoping to pick up a waffle maker so I can freeze a bunch that will fit in the toaster ala Eggo! I'll eventually try my hand at making yogurt, but it isn't first on my list.

Dinner is proving the toughest for me. I hate to cook, and I've only been buying "good" meat in small quantities. Last night we had local grass-fed hamburgers (well, ykwim) w/ local potatoes and corn. Store-bought rolls and organic greens shipped from who knows where. I'm working on it!

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I'm so excited! We just found an awesome website where you can find local farms using a map. We just found a ton of farms within driving distance of our house!!!

Thanks for sharing what you do Carrie. I never thought of making my own peanut butter and my boys have that ~almost~ every day, too. I'm going to go to the Outpost store that Colleen linked earlier. I'll see if they do that there, too.

my biggest change has been leaning strongly away from red meat, and also buying it only from organic suppliers (I guess 95% of the time.) Also, I have continued to try to patronize local grocery stores and local farmers. Sometimes I debate the priorities a bit, though:

Local vs. Organic?

Organic only vs. not really eating enough fruit and veggies?

What about dairy??? I am a big milk drinker, and can't find gallons of organic milk nor is it easy to find organic milk that is not 'long shelf life' style--I have qualms about that, and I don't buy it.

What about pasta? I hate whole wheat pasta. I want to like it, but I don't.

Low fat vs. organic, local

What about eating out?

What about the occasional frozen dinner?

I can obsess about these things all day. It's almost as bad as curriculum, LOL.

Here's where I tend to come down on things:

-I believe that it's most important to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I try to buy local and organic, but if I'm at Costco anyway I do buy their raspberries, pesticide laden though they may be, because they are very fresh and I need to eat them more than I need to make sure they are absolutely pure.

-DH likes to eat out and I prefer to eat in. So I have to compromise as does he. I eat out more than I want to, and he eats out less than he wants to. I can't seem to eat healthy when I'm out--all the more reason to do so elsewhere.

-I do eat wheat thins and Skippy peanut butter and full fat cheese, but I don't eat much cheese and I try to be moderate in the others.

-I would rather buy too much local organic produce and have to compost some of it than to run out. It supports the local farmers and their organicness and it keeps me eating those fruits and veggies regularly. When I shop I try to buy three levels of perishability--level one is greens and raspberries that last about 2 days. Level two is blueberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, peaches, or other fruits and veggies that last a medium amount of time once I get them home. Level three is raddicchio, cabbage, fennel, broccoli, and other fruits and veggies that last a week or more. If I have some of each, then I can eat fruits and veggies til the next shopping trip. I wish that I liked 'put up' fruits and veggies that keep for months, like pumpkins or squash, but I just don't.

-I rarely eat red meat, and almost always buy it from a humane, organic supplier.

-I snack on things that other people consider ingredients--especially veggies. Ups the intake and keeps me from getting too hungry.

-I make my own beans and corn tortillas and spaghetti sauce.

-We do have a small veggie and herb garden, but as I work fulltime and homeschool it's not an extensive operation. During the last few years, though, I have been very intentional about planning fruit trees into our landscape. We have orange, lemon, apricot, and peach trees. I'm debating what to add next--leaning toward avocado, Clementine, or fig. I'm very disappointed that I am allergic to olive pollen, as that had been the next big thing I was going to schedule, but glad I found out before planting our planned olive tree.

-I daydream of someday having a few chickens the way others daydream about trips to the Aegean Sea. Although I also daydream about those trips, too!

My problem is this...i live in PA so buying locally grown fruits and vegtables is easy in the summer and fall but not so easy in the winter:glare:. So what do I do then? Do I buy organic fruits/veggies from the grocery store or just don't eat it? Isn't that worse for our health to go months without salad or a berry? Now I have been buying strawberries and blueberries locally and freezing as much as I can...but due to space limitations not enough to last us to next year. AS much as I would love to buy and eat only local all year, that's just not possible for us...

hi heather -

its very fun to "hear" you so excited about it all. :001_smile: it is exciting stuff. you asked about daily things. initially, we made changes gradually, over a few years, only eating 4 ounces of meat at a time, adding more veggies, reducing the fat to under 30%, gradually adding in whole grains, eliminating high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners... one of the things that happened is that we began to feel ill if we ate out anywhere where the fat content was high. so one fast food outlet after another became undesireable.

then last winter we joined a CSA, and went cold turkey on anything not "real" that still was part of our diet. it is much easier for us than the gradual approach was. each week we get a basket of fruit and veggies from our CSA (abundantharvestorganics.com). they also now carry meat, cheese, raw milk, etc. that we can order each week. we use our breadmaker a lot. we have almost no boxes or cans of anything anywhere. its all quite amazing. and quite delicious. and a bit of work, too ; ).

the kids can now taste chemicals in artificially preserved food. and we rarely eat out, because its hard to find somewhere that has food that tastes better than what we have at home! and we don't darken the door of a grocery store. once a week we go to trader joe's for things that our CSA doesn't carry. and that's it.

and if i ever have a question, i ask my farmer ; ). its very cool. the funnest thing was watching my dear mom over christmas as she kept discovering how tasty everything was.

have fun! :party:

ann

It has been fun Anne!

My husband and I were talking last night that I don't think I've been this motivated around the kitchen in a long time. Years and years ago, when I stopped working when our second son was born and we were a family of 4 living on $13 dollars an hour, I used to LOVE cooking and baking and everything homemaker-ish. In the past year or so? Not so much. I just could not find my motivation for anything!

Of course, it makes a lot of sense now. What possibly can be motivating about a box of Hamburger Helper and a bag of frozen veggies for dinner? (LOL!)

We decided on a local farmer that we found on Eatwild.com and have put in our order for half a grass-fed cow. (We're going in on it with another family.) Slaughter is set for September 10th!

Also, yesterday, we joined the Food Co-op that Colleen posted. I had a list of baking supplies that I wanted to replace and they had almost everything I needed. Who would have thought I'd ever get so excited about finding non-genetically modified corn starch and baking powder? LOL!

I attempted my first batch ever of homemade hamburger buns today and they were *awesome* (if I do say so myself). It was icing on the cake to know that they were organic and perfectly safe and healthy to eat. I don't think we could ever go back to store bought high-fructose corn syrup buns! :)

4kiddies -- Being in WI, I completely sympathize with your dilemma about eating in season. I have no idea what we're going to do when that comes around. I'm used to eating Dole Bananas in the middle of winter and not thinking twice about it.

Carol -- Having all of those fruit trees sounds amazing! While we'll never be able to have a lemon or orange tree, we do look forward to the day when we have some land and can plant a small orchard. (We're currently trying to pay off our debt and save money to buy a few acres for a mini-homestead.) My boys go through fruit like there's no tomorrow and a couple of a few different trees would be wonderful!

My problem is this...i live in PA so buying locally grown fruits and vegtables is easy in the summer and fall but not so easy in the winter:glare:. So what do I do then? Do I buy organic fruits/veggies from the grocery store or just don't eat it? Isn't that worse for our health to go months without salad or a berry? Now I have been buying strawberries and blueberries locally and freezing as much as I can...but due to space limitations not enough to last us to next year. AS much as I would love to buy and eat only local all year, that's just not possible for us...

But if you eat seasonally as well as local....you wouldn't be eating many salads in winter. Thats not in tune with the seasons, You would be eating potato and meat stews, warm and nourishing foods, winter vegetables and whole grains (which store well). MOre dried fruits and nuts, less fresh foods- just for the time that there is less fresh food available. I think our bodies were meant to eat like this rather than eat salads and a specific diet all the year through.

I am doing a course in Ayurveda and it emphasises eating with the seasons and we are in winter here, but it doesnt snow so we still get plenty of winter vegetables. I am actually buying brussell sprouts, though I am the only one who will eat them!

Carol -- Having all of those fruit trees sounds amazing! While we'll never be able to have a lemon or orange tree, we do look forward to the day when we have some land and can plant a small orchard. (We're currently trying to pay off our debt and save money to buy a few acres for a mini-homestead.) My boys go through fruit like there's no tomorrow and a couple of a few different trees would be wonderful!

You know, though, I have read that you can grow a lemon tree indoors in a big pot. And if you can find a Meyer lemon, the fruit holds very well on the tree, so you can have lemons all year round.

It is really nice to have fruit trees. The fruit tends to all ripen at once, though, and with just a family of three we end up giving a lot away. That's a nice thing, too, though! When we planted our peach tree this year, I picked one that had three different varieties grafted onto it. I hope that that will result in slightly staggered ripening rates.

For a cold climate, I know what I would plant--apples, blueberries, cherries, and maybe pears...all the things that don't do well here because we don't have enough cold days. Especially blueberries--love those, can't grown them at all!

-------------------------

You may want to read :

Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens

and

Staying Healthy with Nutrition by Elson Haas.

Both are FANTASTIC and jam packed with all kinds of helpful info on living a natural / holistic lifestyle. My two most valued books when it comes to the health of my family. They are encyclopedia size, so don't bother trying to check them out from the library. ;)

When I read Conscious Eating 5 yrs ago, I couldn't even touch meat for months. I would literally start gagging just looking at it. I have three boys and a carnivore husband who are now 75% vegetarian and don't mind a bit. Never thought that could happen, but it has.

Your body will tell you if the changes that you make are not right for you. I eat organic eggs and cheese, home cooked beans and grains for my protein. I went milk free and tried to use almond milk as a replacement. I was constantly nauseous- I went back to a splash of organic milk in my tea or fair trade organic coffee and the nausea went away. You'll figure it out.

Congrats on taking your health into your own hands~~~~~

It makes my happy to read threads like this. :D

But if you eat seasonally as well as local....you wouldn't be eating many salads in winter. Thats not in tune with the seasons, You would be eating potato and meat stews, warm and nourishing foods, winter vegetables and whole grains (which store well). MOre dried fruits and nuts, less fresh foods- just for the time that there is less fresh food available. I think our bodies were meant to eat like this rather than eat salads and a specific diet all the year through.

I am doing a course in Ayurveda and it emphasises eating with the seasons and we are in winter here, but it doesnt snow so we still get plenty of winter vegetables. I am actually buying brussell sprouts, though I am the only one who will eat them!

Yes! Hard squashes (pumpkins, butternut, acorn etc), winter potatoes, apples, carrots, cabbages, onions all store well. Other foods, like kales, actually taste better after a frost. Early/late veggies include peas, spinach.

I love brussel sprouts!

Animal Vegetable, Miracle is about eating in season. It's not without it's challenges. I often think of Mary & Laura in Little House in the Big Woods, playing in the attic, using giant pumpkins as tables, sitting among all the stored and drying food. Mama certainly had enormous challenges, didn't she?

I understand what you're saying, and I would encourage you to change your mindset. For the vast majority of people in this world, there's nothing normal about eating salads and berries all year around. Make use of those fruits/vegetables which can over-winter in the garden and/or be stored. Look toward kale, squash, and root vegetables as dietary staples during the long, cold season. Freeze berries so you can toss a handful into pancakes and muffins year 'round. Work with the seasons!

I'm sure the indie film, "King Corn" has already been mentioned...we literally just finished watching it (DH has today off).

Yikes.

I'm going to fine-tooth-comb my pantry to see how much food we have that has HCFS in it...I don't think there is too much, but I still want to check.

"Food, Inc." is in our Netflix pre-release queue.

I'm wondering what those of you who are buying organic feel about the study that indicates organic food is not healthier? Since our budget can't really afford organic, it's a moot point for us, but I've often wished we could do organic and then I read things like this report and think maybe it's a good thing I didn't try to afford it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090729/sc_nm/us_food_organic;_ylt=AnxDzouG6Q3dMgC.O0Kg6dd1fNdF

Thanks for the other book suggestions, I'm going to keep doing research on this subject until I can afford to actually do something, lol.

I'm wondering what those of you who are buying organic feel about the study that indicates organic food is not healthier? Since our budget can't really afford organic, it's a moot point for us, but I've often wished we could do organic and then I read things like this report and think maybe it's a good thing I didn't try to afford it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090729/sc_nm/us_food_organic;_ylt=AnxDzouG6Q3dMgC.O0Kg6dd1fNdF

Organic food may not be more nutritionally healthier, but I still believe that is healthier due to no pesticides and such. I also cannot afford to buy all organic food, but there are lists of foods that you should consider buying organic due to higher pesticide/fungicide load such as strawberries, celery, potaotes, green peppers, amd apples. The other advantage is that organic food in not GMO food which IMHO is problematic.

Just my 2 cents:)

:iagree::iagree:I just froze a whole load of blueberries.:)

I've been wanting to see it but am waiting for it to come to Netflix.

Basically, I am reclaiming my rights over my family's food rather than leaving it up to an annonymous "other" to do my choosing for me.

I am waiting for Netflix to get it as well. I have already switched to organic & biodynamic but I need to find a better source for meat products.

If you google grassfed, organic meat and add your area to the search criteria, it may come up with places fairly close by where you can buy directly from the ranch.

Thanks for the other book suggestions, I'm going to keep doing research on this subject until I can afford to actually do something, lol.

When I was in college, it was well known that organic chemists had a life expectancy that was about 20 years less than the rest of the population. No one cause was postulated--just the cumulative effects of all those years of breathing just a little bit of fumes of various kinds. There was no single carcinagen or poison; it was the interactions between a whole bunch of not that great for you substances that wore you down. BTW, there were good fume hoods already in those days--I'm not THAT old.

I think that we are conducting an experiment that is similar to that exposure but less in magnitude. I believe that we are bombarding ourselves with many materials that our bodies are not designed to handle--pesticides, pollution, artificial hormones, even fertilizers, and especially genetically modified substances. No one item is allowed to be a culprit, but the cummulative effect of the whole mess is still unknown. Let's face it--as recently as the 1940's and maybe a bit past that it was uncommon to use these substances in farming. I think that their widespread use is much more common now than it has ever been.

Where will we land on this? Are we eroding our own bodies, very gradually? I think that it's quite possible that we are increasing our susceptibility to many other illnesses and syndromes as well as increasing our cancer rates with all this stuff. I, for one, prefer to be conservative in implementing new materials whereever possible. I don't think that we have enough information yet to justify thinking that organic foods are no better than any others. The jury will be out on that for a long time. In the meantime, I seek a workable compromise between cost and freedom from contamination.

We cannot afford to buy much organic either. I do my best to wash very well conventionally-raised produce. For me I try to purchase food based on how it is raised--is it sustainable? is it humane? (consequently, we don't eat much meat) Or, do I actually notice a difference (in my experience, organic celery lasts lots longer than conventionally raised does). Locally-grown, organic or not, often tastes better. To paraphrase Garrison Keillor, 'tomatoes strip-mined out of Texas' don't taste very good--more like watery styrofoam. :)

We eat seasonally around here quite a bit, too--no fresh strawberries in the dead of winter.

We cannot afford to buy much organic either. I do my best to wash very well conventionally-raised produce.

...using the method described here before simply washing/scrubbing.

I'm a huge advocate of local/organic food, but I also understand that sometimes it's cost prohibitive.

Edited by Jill, OK

That's been in our local newspaper lately too.

I do feel that you are better off eating fresh, alive, conventional food, rather than canned pkt organic food....which is often full of sugar. Who cares if it's organic sugar? And if it has been transported across the planet, a lot of resources have been wasted.

However, I agree that it's not just about the nutrition....it's about the ethics of how people farm and relate to the earth. A good farmer is in a wonderful relationship with his land...he gives to the land, the land gives back. He is a caretaker. Normal farming nowadays is all about getting as much out of the earth as possible, no matter the cost to the earth...its all about the economics. So supporting organic farmers, especially local ones, is about supporting an ethical framework of give and take with our environment that is sustainable in the long term.

I'm going to throw something I just recently became aware of and let you do your own searches/research: Codex alimentarius

It's supposed to go into effect Dec. 2009. Very scary. It also plays into that bill earlier this year that would basically wipe out organic farmers and small farmers due to new regulations.

Yes, I have read a lot about it. For some reason, the media is completely quiet about it. It is scary. I hope in this era of the internet and communication, they just couldn't get away with it...but apparently it is already in Germany and I would love it if I am wrong, but I have been told supplements there are hideously expensive, regulated and tiny quantities.

If it goes through, it will truly be horrible, and a tremendous loss of rights. I am wondering why there is not media outcry, unless they have been silenced.

I suggest anyone interested in organic foods or who even enjoys the freedom of buying some Vitamins at their local store, do some research on Codex.

One thing that may be of benefit is that we may be forced, if we dont want irradiated food, to buy local. That might be good.

This was recently discussed in a different thread. I'll post two posts that were over there regarding the study:

This study has some major flaws in it. First of all, they used data on crops from as far back as the 1950s and 60s. I would like to see a soil analysis from the 1950s and 60s compared to the soil of today on those same farms. Some of these crops are not grown today.

The study left out testing for levels of pesticides and herbisides on and in the products on the market. There was a study competed in 2002 that linked eating organic to lowered pesticide levels in children's bodies.

Yes; here's
to the study.

My husband and I were talking this weekend and came to the conclusion that the price of most organic products and the hassle of trying to buy locally grown products before buying it at the store for us is worth it. We see it as paying farmers fair wages for the normal, regular, healthy way to farm -- for us and the land. The reason that the processed foods and non-organic products seem cheaper in the short run is because of all the corners they are cutting (pesticides, herbicides, hormones, routine use of antibiotics, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, genetically modified crops, lab creations such as high-fructose corn syrup, etc.) to get that product to you. Of course, only time will tell in the long run whether it is really cheaper. With absolutely no testing done on some of this stuff, like genetically modified crops, I wonder if we'll have companies like Monsanto throwing up their hands in 20 years saying, "Sorry, we didn't know."

P.S. Someone recommended Animal, Vegetable, Miracle here. I'm halfway through it and really enjoying it. I don't agree 100% with everything in it (being a Libertarian-Conservative & Creationist), but I'd have to give it 4 to 4.5 out of 5 stars. It is really inspiring. My dh's birthday is tomorrow and I'm excited to try today to throw him a seasonal & locally produced food birthday party. :)

My husband and I were talking this weekend and came to the conclusion that the price of most organic products and the hassle of trying to buy locally grown products before buying it at the store for us is worth it. We see it as paying farmers fair wages for the normal, regular, healthy way to farm -- for us and the land. The reason that the processed foods and non-organic products seem cheaper in the short run is because of all the corners they are cutting (pesticides, herbicides, hormones, routine use of antibiotics, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, genetically modified crops, lab creations such as high-fructose corn syrup, etc.) to get that product to you. Of course, only time will tell in the long run whether it is really cheaper. With absolutely no testing done on some of this stuff, like genetically modified crops, I wonder if we'll have companies like Monsanto throwing up their hands in 20 years saying, "Sorry, we didn't know."
Yep. You get what you pay for, in more ways than one.

My dh's birthday is tomorrow and I'm excited to try today to throw him a seasonal & locally produced food birthday party.
That's wonderful, Heather! I love that you're jumping in with both feet.:)