Menu

Can anyone tell me what this young lady is talking about?

I believe what you're saying about averages. However, again, "across the board" and "averages" aren't the same.

No they aren't, and saying "across the board the averages were lower" is not the same as saying "across the board the across the boards were lower" nor "averagely, the averages were lower". They are different words. Across the board OF SUBJECTS, education majors did less well than any other major. To think I was mailed the results of every education major who took the test is so unrealistic, it should not be part of your thinking.

No they aren't, and saying "across the board the averages were lower" is not the same as saying "across the board the across the boards were lower" nor "averagely, the averages were lower". They are different words. Across the board OF SUBJECTS, education majors did less well than any other major. To think I was mailed the results of every education major who took the test is so unrealistic, it should not be part of your thinking.

You didn't say "averages" in your first post about this. You said "across the board," which is simply incorrect.

Your first post on this:

Once I reproduced, I had a sudden clarity of thought on the fact that when I took the GRE, the education majors, across the board, had the lowest scores. A sad phenomenon.

Ok, did anyone else like want to send a copy of that you know to like the NEA or some of those other people that you know don't think I can you know like give my own kids a good like education. After all, this girl is a product of those you know superior classrooms.

Sadly, though, the truth is that the NEA probably would be able to understand her better than I could and therefore wouldn't see anything wrong.

Maybe it IS true that homeschoolers are not preparing our children to make it in the real world....because if my kids have to communicate with this person, ummm, I'm not sure they can!

"On the East Coast they have slaves and believe in slavery and Made in China" --- I am afraid that she left no doubt.

What is the most terrifying thing about the video is that SHE CAN VOTE!!!!! God Save the USA.

I met a young man today who would have been a great match for her. And when he went on to talk about 'how wasted he got at an Obama inaugeration party', I just shuddered inside.

Oh my, I went to UC Santa Cruz and I'm hoping that that woman isn't a student there.

Maybe she was on something.

ETA: Like someone else said, I do think there was some creative editing going on.

Edited by EKS

You two need to drop it.

Need to drop what? I truly get tired of seeing teachers being painted with broad strokes. It's one thing to give a correct statement and use a word like "averages," but when a person uses an expression like "across the board" in reference to teachers, she is speaking of every single teacher. That is an unfair and inaccurate assessment of teachers. I don't think it's wrong for me to want someone to acknowledge that what she initially said about education majors is wrong.

The girl's speech was completely ignorant. She is unfortunately an example of the inflated self-esteem that is fostered by American culture. American kids reach maturity knowing very little, but having so much pride that they don't even know how much they don't know. As a culture we give trophies for participation, inflated grades, and praise for everything. We focus so much on positive feedback that kids develop a very distorted view of themselves. The fact that this ignorant girl thought she had anything of value to share with this city council is incredible!

Now, I'm going to go to the garden and check my vegetable trees.;)

~

Leanna

Perhaps. But as the sister of an addict, I can tell you that drugs were involved here.

This is why I love California...because it is my home...I, like, live here.

Our charter school is based in Santa Cruz and at the graduation ceremony one of the speakers was was a professor from UC Santa Cruz. He had a doctorate in..........wait for it........ "the history of consciousness!"

Dh claimed to know many fraternity members who were majoring in "the history of unconsciousness."

Now were was that thread on regional stereotypes? :D

Amber in SJ

Without going into any of the other stuff going on in this thread...

...that was hilarious!!

I am now seized by the overwhelming urge to go find a city council meeting and share with them all my infinite wisdom, in valley-girl speech. Or maybe the local shop owner, who makes lots of really great stuff, you know.

:lol:

I suspect that this is yet another product of public education.

As an aside I saw no indication that she was a lady, a female yes. A lady ???? The jury is still out. (Sorry, a pet peeve of mine. A lady is a true rarity.... a diamond, whereas "a female" describes about 51% of the population)

How do you make the determination? And how are you sure you are correct? And what if someone doesn't even want to have the term "lady" applied to them?

How do you make the determination? And how are you sure you are correct? And what if someone doesn't even want to have the term "lady" applied to them?

I did not make a final determination and as I stated the "jury" is still out. I simply stated that I saw no indication that she was a lady. (Of course a lady generally exhibits poise so I suspect that the woman on the clip was probably not)

As to those who do not wish the term "lady" applied to them......well in that case the individual and I would be in full agreement.

I just heard they offered her an anchor position at Fox News!

This girl doesn't sound like a typical right wing conservative that Fox has a reputation for hiring. But with her knowlege of farming & vegetables, I bet she's an authority on Michael Polllan.

three home-schooled children. That was so funny, yet so sad. I had my oldest son join Toastmasters last year and he absolutely hated it. We ended up quitting because a music opportunity that we couldn't pass up materialized. After watching this, he realizes how important grammar, writing, and speech is.