Menu

Shouldn't swim lesson instructors actually get INTO the water?

Today was day 3 of swim lessons at our new neighborhood pool. Day one was sort of cold, and it was starting to rain a little during the class. The girls stayed under the big table umbrella while directing the kids. (The 7yo class.) It annoyed me, but I figured it was the weather. On day 2 the weather was much better, but once again they never moved off their chairs. Today I heard another mom asking about it, but a 3rd mom was telling her how 'no they never go in the water for lessons'. I also realized it wasn't just the 7year old level 2 class, but all the classes had instructors sitting on the pool sides in chairs. Looking around I saw some of the older groups being shown how to move their arms, by the whole class standing up on the side of the pool.

While the kiddo is having fun, and I guess learning a little, all the swim instructors I've ever seen before were in the water, showing them how to move their arms, helping them keep their legs and rear up and sink down (due to just about 0% body fat!).

Is this normal? Anyone else ever heard of this? I'm already a little annoyed about how we still have no clue what the names are of the two girls teaching his class. (They never introduced themselves to the kids or the parents.) And you certainly can't seperate them from their extra large DD iced coffees that never leave their hands during the lessons. (This is all the instructors of all the classes, not just the two for my sons.)

I have never heard of this type of "swim instruction". It reminds me of Professor Harold Hill's Think Method of learning how to play musical instruments. :glare:

We've done swimming lessons at four different community pools and ALL of them were IN the pool. I don't see how on earth you're going to learn how to swim without getting in the water.... :001_huh:

I have never heard of this type of "swim instruction". It reminds me of Professor Harold Hill's Think Method of learning how to play musical instruments. :glare:

We've done swimming lessons at four different community pools and ALL of them were IN the pool. I don't see how on earth you're going to learn how to swim without getting in the water.... :001_huh:

:iagree:

I think the issue is that the *instructors* are not getting into the water, not the children.

All of my boys take swim lessons and their teachers are in the water off and on with them during the entire lesson. I can see the teacher not being in the water the entire lesson (while they watch the student's strokes during laps, for example), but I can't imagine them never getting into the water.

I think the issue is that the *instructors* are not getting into the water, not the children.

Even so, all the swim classes we've ever done were with instructors in the pool with the kids. Even if it was cold. As someone else said, I don't see how it's even safe for them to not be in the pool....

Very standard for lessons. But, not for kids who don't swim at all. If you have non-swimmers, the instructor should be in the water. After the kids can swim a 25, the instructor doesn't actually need to be in the water. And, it is safer for them to be on the side of the pool where they can see everyone better. A non-swimmer class should be so small that that isn't an issue.

Even so, all the swim classes we've ever done were with instructors in the pool with the kids. Even if it was cold. As someone else said, I don't see how it's even safe for them to not be in the pool....

It seems the worst part is that a child might *think* they know how to swim because they were shown how to do the strokes. That's what my dd5 would think, anyway. Then jump in when someone's not looking (at home, at the beach, etc...) ... :eek:

That's what I thought. I totally understand being out of the water for swim team. It's easier to see what's going on with swimmers. But swim team kids know how to swim! These guys are doing the 7yo dog paddle. I mean he's having fun, but I'd like him to actually, I don't know, maybe LEARN something??? Call me crazy, I know!

I was already sort of bothered and disappointed by the pool (they couldn't figure out a veteran's discount for active duty and just don't seem real customer serviced based. More like we should be grateful there's a pool there at all.) I'd throw more of fit about the lessons, but at this point it was more of something to do, and a chance for my 7yo to meet kids that would hopefully be back at the pool in the afternoon or weekends. (Yes, I'm buying friends.)

Next year I think we'll be looking for lessons somewhere else. I should have wondered when there were still spots open a week before classes begin. I'm used to classes booking up within hours to a few days.

Live and learn. And wait for the customer feedback cards......

Until the kids learned to swim, the instructors were in the water.

Once the kids moved up to a level where the teacher/coach is into stroke development, they don't need to be in the water, and it is better if they are not. They can see all kids, the kids are more focused on the teachers instructions, they can hear the teacher better because there is less water movement, the kids aren't trying to touch/grab a hold of the teacher, the teacher can give better feedback seeing the stroke from above instead of in the water...and many other reasons I can't think of right now.

I don't think it is safer for the coach to be in the pool, I think it is safer for them to be on the side where they can see everyone (that is why lifeguards are on the side). If a child struggles, I am quite certain they would jump in immediately to save a child.

The coach showing strokes on dry land shouldn't be a problem, the only ones that are hard are the kicks, and it is almost impossible to demonstrate kicks in the water (due to splashing).

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I think you need to ask for a refund.

I would! AND I'd complain in a letter that the "instructors" did not introduce themselves and never let go of their drinks.

OP: You call them "girls" - are they teenagers? They sound like they are by their behaviour.

I would get my money back. I don't mind paying for my money's worth, but this is not at all getting your money's worth.

In this economy - I would find someone willing to really work for my money!

That's what I thought. I totally understand being out of the water for swim team. It's easier to see what's going on with swimmers. But swim team kids know how to swim! These guys are doing the 7yo dog paddle. I mean he's having fun, but I'd like him to actually, I don't know, maybe LEARN something??? Call me crazy, I know!

I was already sort of bothered and disappointed by the pool (they couldn't figure out a veteran's discount for active duty and just don't seem real customer serviced based. More like we should be grateful there's a pool there at all.) I'd throw more of fit about the lessons, but at this point it was more of something to do, and a chance for my 7yo to meet kids that would hopefully be back at the pool in the afternoon or weekends. (Yes, I'm buying friends.)

Next year I think we'll be looking for lessons somewhere else. I should have wondered when there were still spots open a week before classes begin. I'm used to classes booking up within hours to a few days.

Live and learn. And wait for the customer feedback cards......

Is this a "Red Cross Certified Class" if so, check their guidelines for the instructors (probably on line) and see if they have any information there about what the instructor should be doing/not doing.

That's crazy! I'd definitely be asking for my money back. My DD (5 years old) took swim lessons at the YMCA last year and the instructors were in the water with them. However, she learned nothing at the Y. So this year, both of my DD's (ages 5 and 2) are in survival swim lessons with Infant Swim Resource. They are taught privately at the instructor's house and she's always in the water with them.

I'll have to be the odd one out. Yes, in our area the instructors do not get in the pool with the kids ,, unless its with the toddlers and preschoolers. Other then that NO. I actually do not like the idea at all but I guess its because it protects some places from having children say someone touched them in inappropriate places. My daughters on on a competitive swim team and nope, no instructor ever gets in the pool.

I do take my daughters though to the pool and get in with them myself. I do know that your neighborhood pool sounds like our neighborhood YMCA.

:iagree:3kids, 8 years of public swim lessons. I have never seen this happen except with a child (or myself) who was proficient enough that the instructor walked the pool deck using an upper view to correct problems.

That does sound odd. It reminds me of an episode of Monk. Monk showed someone his swimming certification card. He received it from an online class. He was never actually instructed by any person and never went into a pool. Perhaps these instructors attended the same online class:D

No, this is not a ARC, it's the town pool. Yes they are teenagers, but the pool managers must be in their 40's.

I get showing how to do strokes from above on the deck, especially for a swim team (who would have more advanced swimmers than this class), but these are 6 and 7 year olds, in a level 2 class.

Truthfully, I think part of it is they don't want to get cold. Lessons start at 8:15 and there are 3 differnt class sessions, all before the pool even opens. It's been cold up here. The water hasn't had a chance to warm up, especially with all the rain we've gotten the last 3 months. My son only makes it about 45 minutes to an hour before his teeth are starting to chatter. And that's in the afternoon! The only instructor I've seen get in is with the level 5 class and she put on a short sleeve/short legged wet suit.

I get that they may be cold, but my thinking is, that should be part of the job. You want to lifeguard and get a tan, you also have to teach classes. It's cold. Get over it or get another job.

Hopefully they'll finish the renovations on the town indoor pool and we can just spend the fall - spring there. But yes, we won't be going back there for lessons next summer.

The instructors did get in with the raw beginners part of the time, but once the students could swim the instructors walked the deck, correcting stroke problems. I've also seen my ds's swim class all on the deck, practicing strokes and dive positions.

That's how it is here too. I think it's better with the instructors on the sides of the pool as it's easier for them to see what needs correcting in a childs stroke from an elevated position. My kids have been going to swimming lessons for years and only the raw beginners have the instructor in the pool with them.

I love our current swimming school.

My 12 yo dd is in an advanced stroke class and the teacher is in the pool with them. He does deliver oral corrections and also hands on as necessary. I firmly believe the hands on approach is definitely helping my daughter enormously. Swimming does not come easily to her. I think it also helps that the groups are small, with a maximum of 5 kids. This is in an outdoor pool, but the weather is very nice around here in Southern California, the water is much warmer here than what we were used to in Maryland.

My 5 yo dd is taking beginner lessons. There are 3 kids tops per teacher. It's an indoor pool with 93 degree salt water. There is a little ledge along the edge inside the pool where the kids sit while the teacher is working one on one with the other kids. The teachers are fantastic and highly effective. My little one is already diving and swimming with eyes open in the water. I am just amazed and very happy!

Oh yes, I have heard of and seen these "instructors" first hand. DS was actually on a swim team with these "instructors" and they never got in the water or instructed him on anything. I was pissed my money was used for such nonsense. The last straw was when they allowed one of the little girls to play on the safety equipment. We are now on a new swim team where there are multiple instructors and the majority are in the water while the lead coach is out of the pool guiding the children and other instructors. She is amazing and really helps the kids. They stop the children half way to correct strokes and really give a lot of encouragment.

I could have sat and watched my child swim without paying the money of coaching.

Well, there are things about what you've said that annoy me, too. However, for many types/levels of swim lessons, instructors do not ever go into the pool. For teaching of some specific types of strokes, an instructor may get into the pool for just part of that lesson, but they can actually see much better what the kids are doing in the water if they're standing out on the deck, above the water.

Now sitting (and it sounds like it was some distance away from the edge of the pool if under an umbrella) and with an iced coffee in hand; no introductions, and that sort of thing are completely unprofessional in my opinion, and I believe I would have to say something to someone about that....

I think you need to ask for a refund.

:iagree:

It sounds as if the instructors are much more interested in drinking coffee than in teaching kids to swim.

I've watched a lot of swim classes at our local pool and the instructor has been in the pool for at least a little while in every class.