Menu

Any cat suggstions for someone who is allergic?

I really don't want a cat. We have a dog and that's enough. However, we have a mouse that is too smart for traps. He's a big bugger and I. want. him. gone. It is a mouse and not a rat.

I am very allergic to cats. I had shots a couple years ago that helped somewhat. I am mildly allergic to our dog but it's tolerable. The cat allergy is much worse. I have mild to moderate asthma. I wouldn't even consider any cat except that the mouse is pooping everywhere. It pooped all over my special needs child's chair. Ugh. This kiddo gets sick alot. He certainly doesn't need to ingest mouse poo. I'm wretching just typing that.

Help. I do need a mouser to join our family. Any suggestions please. I keep the house fairly clean and the dog eats his food as soon as it hits the bowl. I don't know what else we can do to deter it(them) (((shudder)))

My oldest ds is allergic to cats. We live in a big ole farmhouse with attached outbuildings that are open yet sheltered. We have two outdoor/barn cats that live in the sheltered space, but not in the house. We feed and water them, and they are like pets (friendly), but my ds is not bothered by them because they are not in our living space. We also have a hypo-allergenic dog who lives in our house, and the cats do not care for him so they don't really try to come inside.

We occasionally get a mouse in the house. When that happens, dh sets traps and catches them, but usually the cats get them on their way in.

In case you don't know: Female cats are known for being better mousers than males.

One of my DDs is allergic to our cat. The two things that really help are a heavy duty air filter machine that runs in her bedroom all the time and putting a cheap plastic shower curtain over her bed during the day so the cat doesn't get on her bed. The air filter machine was about $75 at Home Depot and worth every penny.

Also - could you borrow a cat from someone for a few days? We had mouse problems at a local office. We brought in our cat with his litter box and water bowl for a couple of days and he had a wonderful time catching mice. No more mouse problems!

Edited by AK_Mom4

I just met someone yesterday who has a beautiful Abyssinian cat and says that breed does not bother allergies (which he has). It is also a good mouser. Anytime you buy a purebred though, it is expensive.

Edit: I was just trying to verify this info (which I don't see a whole lotta info for) and found someone mentioned using a Rat Terrier dog as a good mouse catcher. Would another dog work for you?

Edited by jacqui in mo

Ragdoll cats are hypoallergenic... but they also are $600 to 900 to buy one from a breeder. For that price, you're better off hiring an exterminator.

I hate to tell you this but Ragdolls aren't hypoallergenic. We have one. He is big and fluffy and a couple of us are mildly allergic. The one thing that helps us the most is giving him a 'lion cut'. He gets shaved 2x a year and likes it. His fur is so dense that he gets hot easily. With the lion cut he gets really frisky. Helps avoid dangerous hairballs too. It is hard to find someone to shave a cat but I had one groomer who took him. I took notes, bought a pet shaver and do it myself. The cat just sleeps while he gets his new 'doo'. Ragdolls are super mellow cats. The shaving and regular bathing keeps our allergies away. I don't know if this would be an option with a mouser but it works for us. Our Ragdoll is a pampered indoor boy but he has killed a couple of Black Racer Snakes on the lanai.

Some pics of what a lion cut looks like. I've done the 'mohawk' style too. :lol:

http://www.thecatgallery.com/himalayan_cat_models_page_8.html

Have you hired an exterminator? I would do that before contaminating my house with cat dander. Besides, Not every cat is interested in mice.

I agree about borrowing one if you can, preferably from a neighbor so if it gets out of your house, you don't lose someones pet.

Personally, I have had the best luck here with glue traps and a tiny dollop of peanut butter in the middle. They are only two dollars or so for 4 at the store so it may be worth a try if you haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I've read that people who are allergic to cats are not really allergic to the hair and/or dander, but the cats' saliva. Apparently there is some kind of protein in the saliva that triggers allergies. (The hair/dander come into play, because cats groom themselves, so then you have saliva-coated cat stuff floating around.) Even hairless breeds can be problematic, as skin sheds, too.

My sister was telling me about a breed of cat that doesn't have the particular protein in its saliva. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is. (I could ask her, though.) She was looking into getting one, as she is a cat lover, but both she & her dh are allergic. It proved to be too expensive for them, so they have a miniature dachshund now instead. :)

There are some breeds of dog that were orginally bred for rat-catching. I wonder if they'd be of any use? Maybe not with mice/small spaces. Hmmm... I hope you find a good solution. :tongue_smilie:

Ragdoll cats are hypoallergenic... but they also are $600 to 900 to buy one from a breeder. For that price, you're better off hiring an exterminator.

They really aren't, though. My dd1 is allergic and has to take Claritin every day, plus we spray them with a solution from PetSmart that the Vet recommended that keeps down the dander.

I have NO allergies and still get an itchy nose on occasion from the shedding, and they shed a lot.

I once paid $600 for a Siberian that was supposed to be hypo-allergenic and had to return it to the breeder within a couple of weeks. It was a shame because we loved that kitten, but the allergies were worse with him than any other we've ever had!

So why don't we just get rid of them, you ask? We love them. Sigh.

By the way, the dander and the proteins in the saliva all have different chemical makeups. So, you may be more sensitive to one than another. I do think the spray makes quite a bit of difference, though. Oh....and we groom our with the Furminator regularly, too.

My sister was telling me about a breed of cat that doesn't have the particular protein in its saliva. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is.

It's a Siberian. I bought one for this very reason, but to no avail. Actually had to return the adorable little guy (and he was SO SWEET!) to the breeder shortly after I brought him home. He actually caused greater allergic reactions in my dd than any other cat we've ever had. :-(

Cornish and Devon Rexes are hypoallergenic, as far as cats go (at least, I THINK they both are). I would look into that, if you're not into Sphynxes. Brushing, vaccuuming, and bathing are your second line of defense, as well as a good air purifier.

Cornish Rexes are supposedly less allergenic, but they still induce reactions in people who are allergic. At least mine does.

I really don't want a cat....I am very allergic to cats.

If you really do not want a cat and are allergic to them as well, then you should not get a cat. Especially to get rid of a single mouse!

A cat is a multiyear (possibly 10-20 years) commitment. There are veterinary expenses and food bills, litter boxes to fill with litter and to clean daily.

You should be able to provide a loving home for the animal where the cat can become a part of the family. So if this is not your reason for wanting to adopt a cat, please find some other way to rid yourself of the mouse.

My purebreeds do not eat mice. Only food out of a bag or can. I think my burmese hides under the bed when a fly is in the room.

A good shorthair adoptee is your best bet. Save a cat and money. Just keep it brushed wkly and get an air filter if it bothers you. When you go to get one. Pet it and rub the hair the opposite direction, see if hair comes out. Good time to do it is right now, when they are shedding.

If its mousing, lil dogs are probably better than a purebreed cat. Maybe a terrier of some kind, since they are bred for ratting.

We have same issue and pondering dogs too, mind you we have two cats.

Or find entrance and set electronic traps outside.

I like the rat terrier idea. Also, have you considered using homeopathic drops to lessen your allergy? I've known several people who reduces or eliminated their reactions to cats that way. Some are available at health food stores, others from naturopaths and other alternative medical practitioners.

If you really do not want a cat and are allergic to them as well, then you should not get a cat. Especially to get rid of a single mouse!

A cat is a multiyear (possibly 10-20 years) commitment. There are veterinary expenses and food bills, litter boxes to fill with litter and to clean daily.

You should be able to provide a loving home for the animal where the cat can become a part of the family. So if this is not your reason for wanting to adopt a cat, please find some other way to rid yourself of the mouse.

:iagree:Hire an exterminator.