Menu

Very TMI: ladies topic and could seem gross to some

I'm not afraid to sleep at hotels anymore when I have my period.

Oh yes! I forgot about how messy nights used to be with leaks.....with the cup, I truly never have leaks. I love it. Nighttime.....swimming.....light colors.....i never have to worry.

I may get a Lunette someday, because I think the smaller size would work better for me, but I've gotten used to the MoonCup, so I'm not sure it'll be worth the $ to switch....

Lunette holds more overall, it's just a different shape.

How do they work with heavy flows?

awesome. you'll have to empty more frequently....and definitely check into the volume they hold and choose accordingly. the large ladycup, large lunette and large mia are the larger ones iirc.

I do wonder, though, if it works for someone who has pelvic floor prolapse?

Non issue.

How would the emptying /rinsing scenario play out in a public bathroom???

If you have a normal flow and only have to empty 2x per day, it's a non issue. If it's heavier and you have to empty more frequently, its' still not that big of a deal. I've done it before.....I don't take it out of the stall to wash it. I either go in a handicap stall wtih a sink, a family restroom....or simply wash hands first, enter stall, remove, empty, wipe off with tp or pt, reinsert, leave stall, wash hands again. Once I'm home, I remove it and wash it.

I am a person who finds normal tampons very uncomfortable, irritating, etc, would you think I could handle this?

Me too. After kids, I could no longer wear tampons. At all. Any kind. And I hate pads. The DivaCup was never very comfortable for me - too long I guess (even with the stem cut completely off). The Lunette, the LadyCup one other I don't feel *at all*.....the Lunette and Ladycup are large.....the ladycup I had minor minor leakage issues with. I stick with the Lunette mostly.

Oh yay! I think I am going to give it a try...now to decide which ONE to try. :D

I'd get a Lunette since it is so univerasally loved. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like it.

tons of pics:

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/tag/diagrams+%26+pictures

Wow, this thread has really taken off! I am so glad I asked you all what you think. From the time it took me to put my kids down, relax with my husband before he headed to bed, and do some dishes, you all have really provided TONS of information!

First, I will be sure to pass this info onto my friend, just in case she runs across any problems and wants to look into other brands/types.

I actually chatted with my husband for a little about it (Yes, I did! We have a very open and talk about everything relationship) and we both think that it might be worth at least giving a try. I am actually 6 months pregnant with our 3rd, but once everything heals back up, I might give it a shot just to see what I think. It really did seem a bit gross when I first heard about it from my friend, just a few hours ago, but after thinking about it and reading about your experiences, and so far not hearing anything remotely bad about it, the idea has grown on me.

Any ideas as to why this isn't more popular of a thing? Why wouldn't this take over the whole tampon/pad industry?

Any ideas as to why this isn't more popular of a thing? Why wouldn't this take over the whole tampon/pad industry?

Because not enough people read this board? :lol:

The Hive conversations about this in the past led me to try it, and there is no going back. I am a diva cup convert.

The companies that make tampons and pads are more pofitable and therefore can afford more advertisement. The cup companies only sell you a cup every 5-10 years. Also, young women are made to feel menstration is a dirty and gross thing rather than a natural process. (Look at the title of this thread)

I personally use the Ladycup and like it. I do experience minor leaks occasionally but it is still better than the tampons I once used.

My other major MAJOR concern is bacteria--I don't use tampons and just sort of suck up the week to having to change pads throughout the day, with the whole idea that everything should be flowing completely out of my body. With the cup, you are carrying it around with you and I really am a bit nervous about bacteria growth, infection, etc. both with the pooled "blood" and the frequent in and out of a reusable (re: non-sterile) cup.

Thoughts? Experiences?

You can always rinse it once in a while with some peroxide.

And please do not think that pads and tampons are sterile. They are not.

Unless something comes wrapped in plastic and says, "guaranteed sterile" it ain't. I always think of the factory workers......wonder how many pads and tampons get sneezed on.

Cramping?

I've read a lot of great testimonials and have thought about trying a DivaCup (or similar non-disposable), but I had a not-so-great experience with Instead a few years back. My cramps intensified while I was trying to learn how to use the cups. It was quite messy, but really, it was the cramping that did me in. I gave up and have been feeling doomed to pads for the rest of my days (45 and looking forward to NOT bleeding any more).

Have any of you experienced cramping?

I may get a Lunette someday, because I think the smaller size would work better for me, but I've gotten used to the MoonCup, so I'm not sure it'll be worth the $ to switch....
Lunette holds more overall, it's just a different shape.

No, I do mean the smaller size Lunette, as in the pre-kids size. It holds about the same or slightly less than the size large Moon Cup: 25ml vs. 26ml according to manufacturers, but I've seen at least one chart that says they're really the same volume. In any case, I don't think the volume will matter to me. I'm interested in it because of its smaller diameter. I suppose I could get the size small Moon Cup instead, but the positive Lunette reviews might make it worth buying a new cup even though my current one works fine. ;)

Edited by jplain

The companies that make tampons and pads are more pofitable and therefore can afford more advertisement. The cup companies only sell you a cup every 5-10 years. Also, young women are made to feel menstration is a dirty and gross thing rather than a natural process. (Look at the title of this thread)

Yep. I mean, look, they use blue water in the commercials. :confused: Clean-looking, clinical. We are taught that it is dirty and something to be loathed. Until I starting using cloth pads, I felt that way, too. I actually enjoy choosing which pad to wear, whatever fits my mood. I even have cow print.:D

Back to the cup, I have thought of trying one out but heard about leaking if you have a tipped uterus. I do have a friend that uses the Diva and said it changed her life!

Back to the cup, I have thought of trying one out but heard about leaking if you have a tipped uterus.

Good thing I didn't read that before trying a cup! Hmmm...I suspect a tipped uterus may not be the real problem. It is probably the angle and/or length of the cervix. Both may be influenced by a retroverted (tipped) uterus, but they can be a problem even without a retroverted uterus.

My uterus is markedly retroverted, and my cervical angle can be extreme at times, especially at the beginning of my period. However, though I had leakage with the first cup I tried (Diva Cup), the 2nd one (Moon Cup) has been fine. I have had to trim the stems though. Without trimming, the stems were too uncomfortable when the cup was properly positioned.

Unfortunately, there's no good way to know for sure whether a specific cup will work for you until you try it. But if you decide to try one, you might want to try one that is shorter in length/depth (see chart). Then, be careful not to place it too high. Try to err on the side of too low at first, especially if your cervix is low at the beginning of your cycle, and don't be afraid to trim the stem if it bothers you. The proper location may take some getting used to, because it is so different from tampons and diaphragms. It will be low enough for you to easily feel the base with an inserted fingertip. Going through all the steps to get a good seal, including rotating the cup after insertion, running a finger around the outside of the cup, and making sure it pops open fully, will help avoid leakage.

Edited by jplain

I read through a few responses and it sounds like I'm an oddity. My cycle is so light that even on my heaviest days, I only have to change it when I get up and when I go to bed. None of this public restroom stuff for me.

Messy - sort of. I take it out while sitting on the toilet and it simply dumps into the the bowl as I take it out. TP to wipe my fingers and then wash my hands.

It is very nice (since I am an a.m. to p.m. kind of gal) with an all day function. I don't have to think about it at all! I tend to wear a panty shield as back up as it sometimes leaks a tiny bit.

I've used the Moon Cup for about three years now. I love it and will never go back. In fact, I used one tampon in an emergency and I was in so much pain (because of the cramping). It was a combination of the chemicals in the tampon and the fact that it was just causing more pressure in my uterus. One thing that really stuck with me that I read while researching back then: It's not white because it's clean or sterile. It's white because it was bleached. I've found that I actually bleed less using the Moon Cup since no chemicals are "drawing out" more blood.

Angela

Cramping?

I've read a lot of great testimonials and have thought about trying a DivaCup (or similar non-disposable), but I had a not-so-great experience with Instead a few years back. My cramps intensified while I was trying to learn how to use the cups. It was quite messy, but really, it was the cramping that did me in. I gave up and have been feeling doomed to pads for the rest of my days (45 and looking forward to NOT bleeding any more).

Have any of you experienced cramping?

Unfortunately, I have heard this, and I've also had it happen to me, but in my situation I finally learned my pattern and was able to avoid using it during the cramping part (it's an odd story--they don't happen until the latter part of my period, and then only for an hour or so). Some people say that their cramps go away entirely when they switch, but I'd think that if you already had a bad experience with it, you might not want to try again. You wouldn't know until you tried, though, so depending on how badly you want to switch, it might be worth the cost for you.

Another who trimmed the stem... I found it felt irritating. Also, it definitely does have an adjustment period. For me it was 2-3 cycles. The first cycle I tried it, I actually put in up too high and it suctioned onto my cervix. HOLY CRAP did that hurt!!! And I couldn't get it un-stuck! Eventually after much maneuvering, I figured it out. The second and third cycles I wore pads as back up because I had some leakage (still trying to figure out proper placement). But going through the adjustment was SO worth it... like others have said, my period is no longer a hassle. No nighttime leaks, no spotting (because I can wear it the day or two before I actually start), and I feel like I don't even have one in it's so comfortable. I love love love it.

I do as other PPs with public restrooms... usually it is not an issue. I empty before going out anywhere and so far I haven't run into any problems.

One other suggestion: when you're trying to decide which one to get, research materials (I think the choices are rubber vs. silicone) and sizing (I got a "B" even though I've had children, because I have a narrow birth canal). Here's a great site that helped me figure out which one I wanted:

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/928773.html

Good luck!

Didn't there used to be a "grocery store" brand like this?

Do you mean the disposable product called Instead Softcup? They're still available in drug stores and online. Similar idea, but the products themselves are quite different.

Instead is worn up high. It is placed very close to the cervix (diagram here), much like a diaphragm. The cup part is undefined in shape.

Reusable menstrual cups are worn much lower (diagram here) and have a defined shape.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I had a Keeper years ago, but lost it in the move (Why didn't I think to just WEAR IT to the new house?!) I replaced it with the Diva Cup which never did fit right. Even after trimming the stem I felt it poking out. (If I put it any higher it hit my cervix. Maybe I'm just vaginally-height-impaired?)

Anyhoo, I have been perusing the links and really want to try the other brands, but can't find suppliers in the US. I wonder if my British friend would be willing to mail them on...?

Keeper/Moon Cup is a US company. I've found them in a few natural food stores (Whole Foods), and you can buy them online too. If you liked your Keeper, you might like the Moon Cup even better as it is the same size/shape but made out of silicone instead of natural rubber. Some are boycotting the company because they are probably responsible for our inability to buy Mooncup (UK) here, so take that into consideration if it bothers you.

You can a buy several other types on eBay as well.

Lunette is going through FDA approval now, but there's no word on when they'll be approved and available for sale in the US. If you want one of those soon, you could find someone out of the country to buy it and ship it to you. The menstrual cup blog linked above has members willing to do that.

Edited by jplain

Haha, I'm intrigued, and I really want to try one! I'm just overwhelmed by decisions and don't know which one to try...

How comparable are they in price?

Do you think it would be too weird if we did a poll? :confused: LOL!

To me it seems like the one that is the softest material would be best. But also no leaking is very important! I don't think I would like one that is too long either... Ahh! So confusing!

I've been using the UK Mooncup for 2 years now. I love the freedom of it, but I need to explore other cups b/c its just not that comfortable for me.

I alternate with cloth pads from time to time.

Overall, I love menstrual cups, they are far superior to tampons as far as comfort goes and after the initial ackwardness of getting used to putting it in and taking it out its great and really simple to use.

Cramping?

My cramps intensified while I was trying to learn how to use the cups. It was quite messy, but really, it was the cramping that did me in.

I find that getting sufficient magnesium is massively helpful. Sometimes I don't need Any motrin at all bc the Mg makes it so tolerable. Sufficient vitamin d also has evidence for reducing both pms (iirc) and dysmenorrhea.

Almost no one gets sufficient vitamin d.

Back to the cup, I have thought of trying one out but heard about leaking if you have a tipped uterus. I do have a friend that uses the Diva and said it changed her life!

it really shouldn't be an issue. The vast majority can use it fine. Occasionally and rarely it doesn't work for someone- tipped uterus or not.

I want to try the lunette but is not sold and cannot be imported to the US.

that must be a newish issue. When I purchase mine, there was no barrier to ordering directly from Finland. Unfortunate.

Katherine

Cloth pads.

Might be TMI but I think it obviously the best choice. And if you're super green you use organic, sustainable, plant dyed or undyed bamboo velour. :P

Think all the benefits of cloth diapers for babies, for women. And FAR more comfortable than all the alternatives.

I find that getting sufficient magnesium is massively helpful. Sometimes I don't need Any motrin at all bc the Mg makes it so tolerable. Sufficient vitamin d also has evidence for reducing both pms (iirc) and dysmenorrhea.

I'll second the magnesium. I used to get *awful* cramps - in highschool I'd have to take about 800mg of ibuprofen for them. After my dd was born, I read about magnesium and have been supplementing with it since. I rarely have any noticeable cramping anymore.