Menu

Best historical fiction-- for us

Okay, anyone have any historical fiction suggestions for us parents to read? We're studying ancients this year, but any era or lists including other time periods will do.

Yes, I'll be re-reading classic lit. (Homer, etc.) that I read in college in the Classic Dept. years and years ago, as well as non-fiction to deepen my understanding of history. But at this time in my life, I'd like a little fun reading, too. I've pretty much only read classic lit. (Really. I'm that kind of geek!:blushing:) So I just don't know what's out there!

So! Give me your best! Page turners, excitement around every corner, living breathing characters... You know. The good stuff!:w00t:

Okay, anyone have any historical fiction suggestions for us parents to read? We're studying ancients this year, but any era or lists including other time periods will do.

Yes, I'll be re-reading classic lit. (Homer, etc.) that I read in college in the Classic Dept. years and years ago, as well as non-fiction to deepen my understanding of history. But at this time in my life, I'd like a little fun reading, too. I've pretty much only read classic lit. (Really. I'm that kind of geek!:blushing:) So I just don't know what's out there!

So! Give me your best! Page turners, excitement around every corner, living breathing characters... You know. The good stuff!:w00t:

Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett

The Source by James Michener

Sharon Kay Penman for English History

Patrick O'Brian for Napoleonic Maritime, I have been reading through this series and enjoying them a lot

Pompeii by Harris

I've heard about Mary Renault but I haven't read her books yet.

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (sorta historical fiction because the dialogue and exact details pretty much have to be made up--it is based on tons of research, though)

Children's Blizzard. This is not historical fiction outright (based on actual events using diaries, etc.), but some of the details have been surmised.

The Things They Carried. by Tim O'Brien (set during the Vietnam War)

Les Miserables. by Victor Hugo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandre Solzenitchen

Maus I and Maus II. (can't remember the author/artist--it's in comic book format, but definitely not for kids)

I'm currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (about the German Occupation of Guernsey during WWII). There's a surprising amount (to me at least!) of info about that time period, given the format of the book (letters between many characters) and the title!

The Source by James Michener

Would you care to give a a book review on The Source? I'm a third of the way through and decided to shelve it for now. His take on the "evolution" of "god" was irritating to me. I don't know how far he went with it and wasn't too sure I wanted to bother to find out.

Historical fiction is probably my favorite genre! In addition to the Ken Follet books already mentioned, here are some others I've enjoyed:

Annette Vallon by James Tipton----takes place before and during the French revolution

Katherine by Anya Seton---one of my all-time favorites!----set in 14th century England

Lady of the Roses by Sandra Worth---about the War of the Roses

Daughter of York by Ann Easter Smith--chronicles the life of Margaret, sister to King Edward IV

Abundance by Sena Jeter---fascinating glimpse of Marie Antoinette's life

I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles--novel about Queen Elizabeth

The Eight and its sequel, The Fire by Katherine Neville

If I can think of some others, I'll post them.....Happy Reading!

Pillars of the Earth...

Yay! I'm just about to start this!

ETA: Medieval Mom, I'm not sure whether this is suitable for you (might not be for some Christians, I'm not totally sure), but have you read the Merlin books by Mary Stewart? The Crystal Cave is the first one. These are my all-time favorite books. I re-read them at least once a year, and when I need a sure bet for a drive or a visit to the DMV, I always grab one of these. I highly recommend them if you haven't read them yet.

Edited by melissel

I really enjoyed a title Ria recommended awhile back, "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield, about the epic Battle of Thermopylae. It's definitely for adults (I seem to recall plenty of blood and gore), but the view the author presented of true leadership was deeply moving and inspiring. :thumbup:

I LOVED LOVED The Source! The book is from the viewpoint of a Jewish archaeologist who finds, along with his counterparts of various religions, different artifacts from each layer of earth they are digging. Obviously, the older the artifact, the deeper it is in their dig site. Most chapters tell a story about each artifact and how it came to be in that very spot, starting with the oldest and working up through modern times. I am very much a Christian, but found this book fascinating. The end focus of the book, in my opinion, is on Judaism, but also very much gets into how Christianity and Islam branched from Judaism. It is really awesome to read the particular chapter that discusses people coming to Christ from Judaism.

I can see how you might be a bit turned off by the beginning of the book, as they discuss Ba'al and El and many of the other religions that existed at the same time as early Judaism. It is a difficult read, and quite explicit--lots and lots of tears were shed as I buried my face in the book for hours. But I do think it is VERY important to realize the significance of Michener discussing Judaism from the perspective of these other religions. Ba'al and El are mentioned several times in the Old Testament, but the stories that we read are from the Judaism/Christian perspective. Michener presents some ideas of what it was like to NOT be Jewish at the time, how those people lived, what they were taught, how they viewed Jewish folks, and how the groups interacted.

I do believe the beginning of the book in which Michener presents the first people coming to live in groups, without language, without God (and come to know pick your unnamed at the time higher existence), could come in conflict with those read the Bible literally. It seems to fit in more with an evolutionary approach, as humans develop basic relationships, standardized speech, etc. But, I do believe this is the only chapter that takes this leap outside of events that are documented in the Bible.

Anyway, those are my two second thoughts on the book. I highly recommend it! It is deep, detailed, very long read, but very well worth it!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I like time travel books for historical fiction:

Fire, Burn!- John Dickson Carr (a story about London as Scotland Yard was being formed)

Time and Again- Jack Finney (New York in the late 1800's) There is a sequel, or this is the sequel, I can't remember the name of the other book.

The Doomsday Book- Connie Willis (middle ages, plague)

To Say Nothing of the Dog- Connie Willis ( Read Three Men in A Boat First by Jerome Jerome first, then this will make you laugh)

Other non-fiction:

Michael Pearl's Books: The Dante Club, and The Poe Shadow, he now has one about Dickens.

Umberto Eco's books: The Name of the Rose (medieval monastery and library). The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana (Italy during Fascism told through the memories of a recovering stroke victim)

Geraldine Brooks: March (Civil War), The People of the Book (Fictional History of a Jewish Illuminated Manuscript created during the Inquisition, covers several periods of history)

Non-fiction: I know you wanted fiction but Kon-Tiki was one of my favorite reads this year.

Yay! I'm just about to start this!

ETA: Medieval Mom, I'm not sure whether this is suitable for you (might not be for some Christians, I'm not totally sure), but have you read the Merlin books by Mary Stewart? The Crystal Cave is the first one. These are my all-time favorite books. I re-read them at least once a year, and when I need a sure bet for a drive or a visit to the DMV, I always grab one of these. I highly recommend them if you haven't read them yet.

Yes, I have read these! I think they're fantastic. Of course, I read Lord of the Rings every year... I love fantasy. :D

I LOVED LOVED The Source! The book is from the viewpoint of a Jewish archaeologist who finds, along with his counterparts of various religions, different artifacts from each layer of earth they are digging. Obviously, the older the artifact, the deeper it is in their dig site. Most chapters tell a story about each artifact and how it came to be in that very spot, starting with the oldest and working up through modern times. I am very much a Christian, but found this book fascinating. The end focus of the book, in my opinion, is on Judaism, but also very much gets into how Christianity and Islam branched from Judaism. It is really awesome to read the particular chapter that discusses people coming to Christ from Judaism.

I can see how you might be a bit turned off by the beginning of the book, as they discuss Ba'al and El and many of the other religions that existed at the same time as early Judaism. It is a difficult read, and quite explicit--lots and lots of tears were shed as I buried my face in the book for hours. But I do think it is VERY important to realize the significance of Michener discussing Judaism from the perspective of these other religions. Ba'al and El are mentioned several times in the Old Testament, but the stories that we read are from the Judaism/Christian perspective. Michener presents some ideas of what it was like to NOT be Jewish at the time, how those people lived, what they were taught, how they viewed Jewish folks, and how the groups interacted.

I do believe the beginning of the book in which Michener presents the first people coming to live in groups, without language, without God (and come to know pick your unnamed at the time higher existence), could come in conflict with those read the Bible literally. It seems to fit in more with an evolutionary approach, as humans develop basic relationships, standardized speech, etc. But, I do believe this is the only chapter that takes this leap outside of events that are documented in the Bible.

Anyway, those are my two second thoughts on the book. I highly recommend it! It is deep, detailed, very long read, but very well worth it!

Interesting! I like reading about worldwide religions, anyway. (I'm not a conservative Christian, so these things do not offend me in any way.) This book sounds intriguing! Likewise, I did enjoy the Red Tent by Diamant.

Just to be clear: fantasy, discussion of various religions, etc. are all "game". I'm very open-minded. So feel free to suggest titles without any recriminations from me! Hah!

Thanks again! This is terrific! :thumbup1:

Edited by Medieval Mom

Did anyone mention the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon?

It is historical fiction from the era of the Jacobite uprisings in Scotland/England to early slavery in the West Indies to the War for Indepence in the American colonies.

The first two books especially are page turning and very well written. Literaturish.

Most of it can be read aloud to older children but there are some "adult" moments to edit accordingly.

I have immensely enjoyed English history books by Alison (Allison?) Weir. From The Plantagenets through James I plus Ellen of Aquitaine. Thorough research - presented well. Not dry.

She has a title about the Six Wives of Henry VIII that was riveting. To me.

I recently read Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America by James Webb. Very readable though not literature and deals with the contributions of a class of people who have been somewhat overlooked. My two oldest have been asked by my husband to read it so they better understand some social/worldview dynamics that are peculiar (so we thought) to our family.

Edited by shiloh
i love editing

Pillars of the Earth. Why did it take a zillion pages to say nearly nothing? :D I am not a fan.

I did enjoy:

Killer Angels

And, ok, I am a Phillipa Gregory fan.

Others:

Sophie's Choice

Year of Wonders

There are so many. Here's one list.

http://www.bookbrowse.com/browse/index.cfm?category_number=39ny.

Edited by LibraryLover

When We Were Gods - Colin Flaconer (about Cleopatra)

The Good Men - Craig (abt 14th century France and the Inquisition)

The Far Pavilions - MM Kaye

The First Man in Rome - Colleen McCullough

as mentioned already: The People of The Book, Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, Ken Follet, Allison Weir, Sharon Kay Penman, The Source (on my shelf but not yet read - intimidating me!)

:lurk5: Hist Fiction is my favorite genre so I will keep checking in for more suggestions I haven't read yet! One thing I did to get a good list going of books I want to read is to visit Amazon's genre list. Then you can read reviews and figure out it they are for you.

Barbara Tuchman's A Distan Mirror: The Disastrous 14th century - not exactly fiction but gripping historical documentary. She also has historical fiction to offer. Wonderful stuff.

Also, Thomas Costain writes a lot of medieval historical fiction.

Ah! "Gripping historical documentary" recommendations are welcome, too! Thank you!:)

A random assortment of books I enjoyed (in no particular order):

Memoirs of a Geisha

Galileo's Daughter

Daughter of Fortune (a bit slow-starting, but good after that)

The Professor and the Madman

I, Claudius

The Daughter of Time

Dancer (a fictionalized biography rather than historical fiction, but still fascinating)

In the Company of the Cortesan (the author also wrote The Birth of Venus, but I didn't like that one as well)

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone

People of the Book

The Historian (has lots of eastern European history even though it's a Dracula story, lol)

I see that there have been a few recommendations for The Pillars of the Earth. I thought it was ok, but it was not a favorite of mine.

On a slightly different note, a great biography is Passionate Nomad; it has lots of great historical info about the Middle East from the early to mid-1900s.