Menu

Keeping glass shower doors clean...

FlyLady recommends using a nylon puff with a dab of shampoo as a shower cleaner. It cuts the build-up on your hair, and does the same for your doors.

I wish I had just listened to her years ago instead of wearing myself out scrubbing with baking soda, then nasty toxic chemicals that hurt my lungs (like Tilex, sorry Vicki!).

Then you only need to use up your pricey Magic Eraser once in a while. Our cheap shampoo is Suave daily clarifying. I use that once a month at most, and squeegee the shower after every use.

My only suggestion is to clean them as often as you can. The last house we bought had clear shower door in the master bath. Only after moving in and cleaning them the first time did I realize that they were clear and not frosted. It took me several weeks of trying everything under the sun to get them clean. After that, a squeegie and either a baking soda scrub or a light scrubing with a magic eraser was enough. Just don't let it sit there and build up. Good Luck!

Those sprays you use after each shower to spritz the tub, etc in order to keep it clean are just citric acid and water, pretty much. You can fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water and just spritz after showering. Magic Eraser is great when it gets scummy, if you don't keep up with it. And PP is correct, bar soap is the enemy of the shower door!

I used to work for a maid service for a little while and we recommended putting lemon oil on them. This won't clean them after they already have the soap scum on them, but doing it when they're new or before they're scummy will prevent the build up from happening.

Also, as someone else stated, wipe them down with a wash cloth after every shower to help keep it from building up.

I would just saturate the gunk with a cleaning solution and then use toothpicks and a toothbrush to get the gunk out. Then you could apply the baby oil/lemon oil to them as well, and see if that prevents the build up.

I have used baby oil to remove soap scum before, on my mom's shower doors. You just have to be very careful to not let any oil get on the floor or bottom of the tub so you don't slip and fall.

I use Method Daily Shower cleaner after every shower and squeegee it down. Method is available at Target. It still doesn't make it enjoyable. I have been known to purposely take my shower just before my husband so he can have the pleasure of spraying and cleaning. :D

all the gunk in the crevices of the shower enclosure? Getting the scum off the plexiglass is easy by comparison.

Hey now, you and I have been here long enough that we ought to have read these threads hundreds of times by now!

You know the answer is always : an old toothbrush! :lol:

The magic eraser works like nothing else I've tried on soap scum and water marks on the shower doors and the stall itself.

Do you use it wet or dry, alone or with something (I inherited one without any instructions). Also, what does it taste like? (Inside joke, folks, and a "clean" one at that.)