Menu

Tell me your nutritious smoothie additive...

leafy greans? I would love to sneak these in.

oatmeal?

And do you have to grind the flax seed yourself or do you buy it that way?

We definitely have the fruit covered. It usually includes some variation of bananas, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, etc... whatever I've got (frozen and fresh) that sounds like the flavors would go well together.

Can someone tell me what flaxseed does? I'm always wanting to try a new thing.

We use an organic fiber supplement in ours, and sometimes omega 3-6-9 oil.

It provides essential fatty acids AND it keeps you regular. ;)

Flaxseed is very high in omega-3 essential fatty acids, Lee explains. It's the omega 3s -- "good" fats -- that researchers are looking at in terms of their possible effects on

lowering cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, lowering the risk of breast, prostate, and colon cancers, and reducing the inflammation of arthritis, as well as the inflammation that accompanies certain illnesses such as Parkinson's disease and asthma.

In addition to the omega-3s, the remaining two components of flaxseed -- lignans and fiber -- are being studied for their health benefits as well, says Diane Morris, PhD, RD, spokesperson for the Flax Council of Canada. Lignans, for example, act as both phytoestrogens and antioxidants, while the fiber contained in the flaxseed is of both the soluble and insoluble type. "Flax is an interesting mixture of nutrients and other components," says Morris.

About how much spinach do you add?

I use Trader Joe's Frozen Spinach and I just add one handful for each kid. I figure they need a portion each or it isn't worth giving.

They hardly notice but after it starts to melt a little (it's very thick with frozen blueberries, spinach and sometimes mango) it starts to look a little greener.

leafy greans? I would love to sneak these in.

oatmeal?

And do you have to grind the flax seed yourself or do you buy it that way?

We definitely have the fruit covered. It usually includes some variation of bananas, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, etc... whatever I've got (frozen and fresh) that sounds like the flavors would go well together.

If you buy whole flax seed you do have to grind it before using b/c your body can't process it and it will pass straight though the digestive tract. I buy Bob's Redmill Organic Ground Flax and keep it stored in the freezer.

I also buy huge bags/containers of organic fresh spinach when the it's about to expire and they mark it waaaay down. I bring it home and steam it just a drop. Throw it in the blender to puree and then pour into ice cube trays. Store the spinach cubes in the freezer and add to cherry or blueberry smoothies b/c the color doesn't even show. My kids have no idea and you can't even taste it. Mine wouldn't eat it if you could see the green unfortunately.

I do the same thing with carrots (steam, puree and freeze) and add them to strawberry or orange/mango/pineapple smoothies. The color blends right in here too!

I use the regular oats and I grind my own flax. I use a regular blender with no problems.

I love the oats because it really does seem to make a difference with sticking to the ribs. My kids aren't big oatmeal eaters so I figure I can get their bowl in that way.

Flax is sensitive and I don't trust preground flax. So, I just buy it in bulk. It's pretty tough if it's left whole. I grind enough to fit in an old chutney jar and keep that in the fridge.

If you buy whole flax seed you do have to grind it before using b/c your body can't process it and it will pass straight though the digestive tract. I buy Bob's Redmill Organic Ground Flax and keep it stored in the freezer.

I also buy huge bags/containers of organic fresh spinach when the it's about to expire and they mark it waaaay down. I bring it home and steam it just a drop. Throw it in the blender to puree and then pour into ice cube trays. Store the spinach cubes in the freezer and add to cherry or blueberry smoothies b/c the color doesn't even show. My kids have no idea and you can't even taste it. Mine wouldn't eat it if you could see the green unfortunately.

I do the same thing with carrots (steam, puree and freeze) and add them to strawberry or orange/mango/pineapple smoothies. The color blends right in here too!

That's Brilliant! I'm going to steal those ideas.

Anyone have any smoothie recipes that are vegan? A book to recommend? I have my eye on Green for Life (Victoria Boutenko) but didn't know if there were kid friendly recipes in it.

I make this every morning and it really sticks with me. In my blender cup I measure some almond (or coconut) milk, Lifeway kefir for intestinal health, a handful of some kind of frozen fruit, a drizzle of Flora DHA Flax oil, a TB. of freshly ground flax for fiber, and a half scoop of Designer Whey vanilla protein powder. Perfect.

We make smoothies with fruit (usually blueberries), rice protein powder, kefir, goat milk, frozen spinach, and coconut oil.

Melinda

Coconut oil! Great idea. I am always on the lookout for ways to add healthy fats to my skinny child's diet.

When Trader Joe's was selling it, I would put in a dollop of cashew / macadamia nut butter in our smoothies. Now I just use peanut butter. (My son is allergic to almonds, though I personally think almond butter tastes the best.) When I've found hemp milk cheap, not often, I've used that in our smoothies, too.

I should really be more creative, kefir and almond butter (LOVE IT) sound divine...

I loved the book Green for Life. For kids, just start out with a little bit of greens, but lots of berries/sweet stuff. Some mamas I know use reddish greens so it doesn't look so "green". Then slowly, increase the percentage of greens. My daughter loves green smoothies now!

Couldn't resist adding pics, I can take them down if needed. Oh in this picture we tried sprouts, they taste too strong in our smoothies, don't like them in there now. :)

0903-green-smoothie-003-266x400.jpg

0903-green-smoothie-006-400x265.jpg

Coconut oil! Great idea. I am always on the lookout for ways to add healthy fats to my skinny child's diet.

Coconut milk is great, too. I sometimes use it in place of milk/juice with kefir. And fruit. I haven't been brave enough to try the greens ...

I also buy huge bags/containers of organic fresh spinach when the it's about to expire and they mark it waaaay down. I bring it home and steam it just a drop. Throw it in the blender to puree and then pour into ice cube trays. Store the spinach cubes in the freezer

That is super clever. I could freeze a bunch from our garden this summer to have year round. Thanks for posting this!

Coconut milk is great, too. I sometimes use it in place of milk/juice with kefir. And fruit. I haven't been brave enough to try the greens ...

I've been nervous about using coconut milk in smoothies. I have used it to cook up a rice pudding on the stovetop, for breakfast, using leftover rice, but it is so rich that it seems to upset my boys' tummies, even when I water it down. But. I still do use it and water it way down, and then have leftovers that I don't know what to do with. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Any tummy troubles with coconut milk at your house?

My favorite smoothie has silken tofu, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, banana, apple juice concentrate, and orange juice. Mmmmmm...

Chelle

Thanks. I have all that stuff, except for maybe apple juice concentrate, but can sub white grape/peach which I do have!

I use Trader Joe's Frozen Spinach and I just add one handful for each kid. I figure they need a portion each or it isn't worth giving.

They hardly notice but after it starts to melt a little (it's very thick with frozen blueberries, spinach and sometimes mango) it starts to look a little greener.

I put the spinach in today and they didn't even notice! Great suggestion.

I like to use coconut cream powder, agave nectar and frozen acai (not necessarily together:))

Next I want to experiment with hazelnut butter and chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe like that?